• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that had awesome bosses through the entire game

Vertti

Tokyo Mirage Sessions definitely. Some of my favourite boss battles ever.

P5 was pretty solid too and I can agree with Bloodborne and MGS1&3 at least.

Resident Evil 4. By all accounts the final boss would be considered a good boss in any other game, its just that RE4 had like a dozen of incredible bosses that came before him. It's one game where everyone has a favorite boss, IT, El Gigantie, Mendez, Del Lago etc were all incredible boss fights and I'am missing lots.

The Evil Within (although the "final boss" isn't really a boss fight).

Mikami brought the tension, creativity, and variety of RE4's bosses to new levels in Evil Within.

Juanivan

Metal gear solid 1,2,3, and 4.

ngbbs45bbd81d65ed2.jpg

lmimmfn

DMC1 - the bosses were amazing for the time, I realise the last bos wasn't to everyones taste but I loved them all.

Watched a playthrough of God of War II recently and I'd forgotten how stacked it was with fun, unique boss fights littered throughout. It's more impressive considering that the first GoW was the opposite, only having three real bosses in the entire game.

If anyone says Breath of the Wild I'll know they're lying.

Really? After Kohga, I'm really going to say BoTW, unless the last boss is terrible (which is the only one left). Be it the dungeon bosses or the ones found in the field like Modulga I find them all really good. The only one I see lacking are the Stone Talus, but when they have non bullshit ore placement they're a blast. I wish it had even more boss fights.

Kinsei

Banned
I don;t think I've ever played a game where all of the bosses are decent-good. Every single one I've played as at least one bad boss.

Celestial Emissary.

Witches of Hemwick and Darkbeast Paarl too. Not to mention quite a few more if we start diving into the chalice dungeons.

Really? After Kohga, I'm really going to say BoTW, unless the last boss is terrible (which is the only one left). Be it the dungeon bosses or the ones found in the field like Modulga I find them all really good. The only one I see lacking are the Stone Talus, but when they have non bullshit ore placement they're a blast. I wish it had even more boss fights.

The last boss is total garbage. Calling it a fight is being generous.

thejpfin

I usually hate boss battles, they are annoying difficulty spike which I don't like.

Though I really liked Metal Gear Rising and God of War 3 boss battles, they are tough, but not impossible to beat.
So far Nier Automata has cool boss fights too.

Witches of Hemwick and Darkbeast Paarl too. Not to mention quite a few more if we start diving into the chalice dungeons.

Those would be great bosses in most games, it's just that the standard in BB is so high with bosses like Gascoigne, Logarius, Ebrietas, Ludwig, Blood-Starved Beast, Orphan of Kos and Lady Maria.

I hope Cuphead delivers on its promise.

Son Of D

DMC1 is close for me although the second Griffon fight is kinda bleh since it's on a pirate ship and the camera angle's a bit of a bitch for me.

Games that had awesome bosses through the entire game

So basically the opposite of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Batman: Arkham Knight?

Going the other way to Arkham Knight, i thought the boss fights of Arkham Origin were fantastic. The Deathstroke fight was insanely hard.

Hypron

I don't remember most of the bosses in the game, but I definitely remember disliking the Vorken fights. I don't think those ones were done very well.

The terrible frame rate made them feel like a real drag but I thought the idea was cool.

a.wd

Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden 2, never felt like any of those bosses were unfair.

And beating them felt like.....ooooohhhh yyeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh....

Kinsei

Banned
Those would be great bosses in most games, it's just that the standard in BB is so high with bosses like Gascoigne, Logarius, Ebrietas, Ludwig, Blood-Starved Beast, Orphan of Kos and Lady Maria.

I hope Cuphead delivers on its promise.

The witches could be interesting in a 2D game I suppose. The aggression of the regular enemies during the fight would have to be drastically increased for the fight to be fun in a 3D game though.

I think Paarl would be a poor boss in any game.

Galang

Banned
I enjoyed Mario Galaxy 2 Bosses a lot! Mostly easy, but all super fun as is the rest of the game!

The World Ends With You also had great bosses. Super stylish and fun when you finally reach them

The Wonderful 101, easily.

When you hear that wonderful phrase... "Team! Engaging Unlimited Form!" you know you're about to do something completely awesome.

Including, but not limited to, fighting a dragon in freefall, fighting a giant robot snake in a thunderstorm, challenging a giant robot to a boxing match... twice, or punching the final boss in the face with a fist the size of the moon. And of course PROTECT EARTH! The Wonderful 101 is a masterclass in boss design. Even the worst bosses in that game are merely great. And it has one of the most amazing final bosses in any game.

God I hate being reminded how awesome this game is then to realize we will never get another

Waxy

I loved all of Metroid Prime's bosses. Been awhile since I've played it, but I can't remember one I didn't enjoy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Salt and Sanctuary has some bosses that are just OK/kinda "there" (e.g. False Jester, That Stench Most Foul, Bloodless Prince), but nothing that I'd outright call "bad". The quality is pretty consistently good.
Inbefo Witch of the Lake whining

Bloodborne.
Celestial Emissary.
Yeah. Celestial Emissary is pretty bleh. Witches are OK, way too easy, but at least it's an interesting gimmick/mechanic and fairly memorable.

Celestial Emissary is just the Pinwheel of this game though. xD Chalice Dungeons have some really meh bosses too, like regular enemies passing as bosses (like the giant boar, come on).

Micolash also sucks. Never understood the fandom for this boss. His laughter, repetitive dialogue, running away constantly, etc. are obnoxious as fuck. Memorable I guess, but just tedious and annoying on replays.

Soul Reaver.

They werent very hard but definitely memorable.
True! Trivial on replays, sadly, but I did enjoy the puzzle aspect, and their design/personalities were really cool too.

The witches could be interesting in a 2D game I suppose. The aggression of the regular enemies during the fight would have to be drastically increased for the fight to be fun in a 3D game though.

I think Paarl would be a poor boss in any game.
Paarl would be fine if it weren't for the egregious camera. What a mess.

Top Bottom