• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were not finished at all

Lijik

riceandbeans said:
Batman: Dark Tomorrow. Big Batman fan, rented the game the first day it came out and it was complete shit. Probably the most incomplete, worse game I ever played. Took me 2 years to figure out there was a second ending and Batman wasn't suppose to fuck things up at the end.
I looked up footage of this game, and Batman's run is fucking hilarious :lol

offshore said:
1695-1.jpg

:( but the opening FMV was still good.

age_of_conan_box.jpg

Age of Conan.

Never seen anything so rushed, flat out incomplete released.

The sheer amount of bugs and missing content was astounding.

Bernbaum

Knights of the Old motherfucking Republic II.

First game I played where I saw just how unfinished a game could. Before that, all games where intangibly complete works of magic. After playing KotORII, I developed a knack of being able to see behind the curtain and observe how the sausages were made.

I've been all the poorer for it ever since.

Guys, don't just list bad games. Sonic 6 was a very complete game, it has a decent number of levels, you could play through it four times for four different endings, everything about it was complete. Maybe buggy and crappy, but complete.

Now compare that to Xenogears. Much of the third disc was a person in a rocking chair telling the story, because they were forced to wrap the game up before it was complete - they had to cut a number of dungeons and stuff and replace them with the rocking chair.

Another example, Ultima IX - pretty much the same situation, EA surprised them with a sudden decision that the game needed to be done quite a bit earlier than originally planned, so they had to change much of the story to fit the content they had completed. If you watch the videos on the disc, they tell a different story than was in the game, though you can see they used whatever chunks of those videos they could to craft a new, shorter story.

I would say that Zelda: Wind Waker fits in this as well, though not as blatantly - the game only has three real dungeons, the least of all Zelda games, and one of the people in charge (I think Aunoma, I forget) said they wanted to make three more dungeons but the game was rushed out.

Apath

Dreamwriter said:
Guys, don't just list bad games. Sonic 6 was a very complete game, it has a decent number of levels, you could play through it four times for four different endings, everything about it was complete. Maybe buggy and crappy, but complete.

Now compare that to Xenogears. Much of the third disc was a person in a rocking chair telling the story, because they were forced to wrap the game up before it was complete - they had to cut a number of dungeons and stuff and replace them with the rocking chair.

Another example, Ultima IX - pretty much the same situation, EA surprised them with a sudden decision that the game needed to be done quite a bit earlier than originally planned, so they had to change much of the story to fit the content they had completed. If you watch the videos on the disc, they tell a different story than was in the game, though you can see they used whatever chunks of those videos they could to craft a new, shorter story.

I would say that Zelda: Wind Waker fits in this as well, though not as blatantly - the game only has three real dungeons, the least of all Zelda games, and one of the people in charge (I think Aunoma, I forget) said they wanted to make three more dungeons but the game was rushed out.
I saw people posting bugged gamesso just assumed the OP intended that to be included as well :p

2San

epm2as.jpg

Could have been my favourite RPG ever, as it stand it's one of the most overrated games ever. How people conveniently ignore how shit the 2nd disk is, is amazing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dreamwriter said:

It kinda depends on your outlook here. It's so buggy and crappy that I would consider a game that literally should not have been allowed to go onto shelves in its current state.

Iksenpets

Banned
KotOR 2 is the ultimate example. 80% of the game is amazing, and then the last fifth is just mindboggling as they have you fight enemies you still haven't gotten an adequate explanation as to who they are, people randomly die, and any character development you build up at the end suddenly just disappears. It's a really bizarre game to play. Almost instantaneously it goes from a great game to awful. It's actually weirdly haunting in its emptiness.

B.K.

Final Fantasy XIII.

2San said:
Could have been my favourite RPG ever, as it stand it's one of the most overrated games ever. How people conveniently ignore how shit the 2nd disk is, is amazing.

I love the second disk. I prefer it to the first disk.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
2San said:
epm2as.jpg

The second disk of xenogears despite it's rushed nature was incredible from start to finish. Pretty much all my favorite story sequences in the game, come from the second disk.:D

I love the second disk. I prefer it to the first disk.
Yeah i think i did too, i know some people hated it, but i actually really loved the idea of the
the main characters narrating the plot, it had such a strange and eerie atmosphere to it
and plus you could argue the lack of gameplay / dungeons was a good thing. As the first disk had a lot of filler, dungeons like the sewers are the biggest offenders there, actually pretty much every part of that portion of the game, felt dragged on.

The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire
Jurassic Park: Trespasser

I bought both. :( But I only finished Trespasser. Both were overambitious and rushed.

Oh, and Temple of Elemental Evil. Yeesh.

Sanic

Well, Wind Waker was an amazing game, that could have been even better with more time, and probably a direct sequel.

If the game wasn't finished "at all", you wouldn't have been able to buy it. Sooo..

Duke Nukem Forever
Desert Bus (was it simply finished and never released, or was it not finished also?)
StarCraft: Ghost

Here are a few more that weren't finished "at all":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cancelled_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Sega_consoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Xbox_consoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Nintendo_consoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_PlayStation_consoles

But if you want to talk ones that were released but obviously missing content:
KOTOR 2 (easily the one where it is most obvious content is missing)
Assassin's Creed II (sure, the DLC came out later, but that's a shitty excuse)

jiji said:
Temple of Elemental Evil
Forgot about that one. It took a few patches to be even remotely playable.

TheKyle07

I heard a rumor that in Wind Waker you could originally hatch the egg and a baby dragon would come out and you could fly the dragon and it would let you acess a secret final dungeon floating in the sky (this dungeon would later be reused as City in the Sky in Twilight Princess) and at the end of the dungeon is a secret final boss fight where Ganon puts on Majora's Mask and becomes the ultimate double final fusion boss Gajora and when you beat Gajora you get the Triforce.

Iksenpets said:
KotOR 2 is the ultimate example. 80% of the game is amazing, and then the last fifth is just mindboggling as they have you fight enemies you still haven't gotten an adequate explanation as to who they are, people randomly die, and any character development you build up at the end suddenly just disappears. It's a really bizarre game to play. Almost instantaneously it goes from a great game to awful. It's actually weirdly haunting in its emptiness.
I agree. KotOR2 was simply unreal, I recall the sinking feeling near the end when the realization hit that things were starting to speed up way too quickly and then, bam, some cracked green planet. Prior to that I was very much enjoying a perfect sequel to a perfect game. Unlike Wind Waker, KotOR2 completely gutted the story that had been building up over the previous 50+ hours of gameplay (including the original). To this day I've replayed KotOR multiple times but I can't seem to get past the 2/3 or 3/4 mark in KotOR2 replays. Usually I'd say 1.8 great games beats 1, but something about KotOR2 prevents me in its case.

As for other mentioned games, Sonic or Driv3r are just bad games. Yeah, some stuff from Wind Waker was cut but it's still an awesome game and it's not like theres any real story or anything that got cut. Just 90% of the way through the awesomeness and you suddenly have to find triforce pieces before the end.

Grayman

codswallop said:
If the game wasn't finished "at all", you wouldn't have been able to buy it. Sooo..

Duke Nukem Forever
Desert Bus (was it simply finished and never released, or was it not finished also?)
StarCraft: Ghost

Here are a few more that weren't finished "at all":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cancelled_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Sega_consoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Xbox_consoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_Nintendo_consoles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_cancelled_for_PlayStation_consoles

But if you want to talk ones that were released but obviously missing content:
KOTOR 2 (easily the one where it is most obvious content is missing)
Assassin's Creed II (sure, the DLC came out later, but that's a shitty excuse)

Forgot about that one. It took a few patches to be even remotely playable.
Every once in awhile I am reminded that there was going to be a Full Throttle sequel :(

Probably any Matsuno game.

FFXII is more well known since so much of his goodness was cut, to the point that is was a bit disappointing.

But he's gone on the record saying things were cut from Vagrant Story(like party members).

Elidibus (optional boss from Tactics)seemed to be missing a lot of his backstory.

Not sure about the Ogre Battle series though.

Grayman said:
Every once in awhile I am reminded that there was going to be a Full Throttle sequel :(
Oh great, now I've been reminded too. But then I look at the screenshots, and think maybe it really was for the best.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
KOF XII.
Resistance 2 (Too ambitious to be developed in just one year of full production)

TheKyle07 said:
I heard a rumor that in Wind Waker you could originally hatch the egg and a baby dragon would come out and you could fly the dragon and it would let you acess a secret final dungeon floating in the sky (this dungeon would later be reused as City in the Sky in Twilight Princess) and at the end of the dungeon is a secret final boss fight where Ganon puts on Majora's Mask and becomes the ultimate double final fusion boss Gajora and when you beat Gajora you get the Triforce.
And then ponies fell from the sky with rainbows while Godzilla smiled at a puppy who then jumped over a tank with chainsaw-wielding ballet dancer who eats glass after wrangling a unicorn.

WillyFive

GregLombardi said:
I disagree. I do not feel that Wind Waker was finished. It would have reached Ocarina levels if they had just set up hyrule to be investigated.

Hyrule field for Wind Waker is massive, if you glitch your way out. It turns out there was a lot of detail on the field, and it was definitely planned to have the player explore those areas.

But it doesn't mean it's unfinished. Otherwise, every game ever made would be unfinished. Because Ocarina of Time was MUCH more unfinished than Wind Waker was compared to what the developers were aiming the game to be able to do.

So I really don't consider Wind Waker to be unfinished. The developers had expected to have more stuff in it, yes, like everything else out there, but the game itself was still fantastic. Star Wars (1977) only ending up being a sixth of what Lucas originally wanted doesn't mean it was an unfinished movie.

ShutDown202 said:
Can you explain this one please.

Im really interested in this game.

Here's the low down with this game:

This game is emotional. It's mindblowing. It's heart-wrenching. The music moves you. The graphics and detail are phenomenal for a Wii game.

But, the game is almost unplayable. So much artistic talent, but the game itself seems to be halfway finished. It controls terribly, loading times are bad, and the build quality of the game ruins what would have been one of the greatest games Sonic Team has ever made.

It's tragic.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I thought this would be about games I never finished. Which is pretty much any game I buy for some reason.

Dreamwriter said:
Wind Waker has five dungeons, not counting the final one. So that's one more than Majora's Mask.

That said, it is pretty blatantly obvious where two of the missing dungeons would have gone.

Another one is Secret of Mana. The game was originally intended to be shipped on CD, but Nintendo surprised Squaresoft by canceling the Super-NES CD project (the first move towards making enemies with Square). Apparently a whole ton of stuff had to be cut from the game to cram it onto a cartridge, and the music completely redone. This one isn't as noticable in the game, but there are a couple strange things you can see on the map but not interact with, and some game areas seem artificially blocked off.

I just got done playing Bionic Commando 2009, which is pretty under appreciated for the most part, but in a game so competent with pacing the ending sticks out as an example of development concessions.

You're storming an enemy stronghold of high importance and the game has been dropping revelations on you left and right. The impending climax is palpable. You're asked to share the protagonist's desire to smash in the face on the other side of your radio transmitter; in fact I think the words "Time for some payback" were heard.

You fight through a gauntlet of lesser enemies while the main antagonist drops the now infamous twist (
she's your arm Spencer!
) and bam, cutscene...

Oh this looks like a suitable stage for a boss battle. Spencer is understandably pissed. Hey, bionic-legged lady, can you he--Oh, I guess you got your head smashed in. Not the most suitable ending to a character you've spent a large part of the story setting up, but I--Hey, another respectable quasi-QTE sequence, Spencer comin' for ya Joe! Uh-oh. Spencer beats on him in the cutscene for a bit before--Wait. Is he dead? Now a lengthy, pensive plummet to the earth.

Thats' it. Credits. A strong allusion to the sequel that will never be. Title screen. I'm convinced dev time was tight and they decided last minute to wrap everything up over at the cutscene department.

Green Mamba said:
Wind Waker has five dungeons, not counting the final one. So that's one more than Majora's Mask.

I said three *real* dungeons. Just like you aren't counting the areas in Majora's Mask outside each of the four real dungeons that take a while to solve and make your way through before you are allowed access to the real dungeon.

Willy105 said:

This game is emotional. It's mindblowing. It's heart-wrenching. The music moves you. The graphics and detail are phenomenal for a Wii game.

But, the game is almost unplayable. So much artistic talent, but the game itself seems to be halfway finished. It controls terribly, loading times are bad, and the build quality of the game ruins what would have been one of the greatest games Sonic Team has ever made.

It's tragic.
I think NiGHTS is the most finished game Sonic Team's put out in years. For whatever that's worth.

Dreamwriter said:
I said three *real* dungeons. Just like you aren't counting the areas in Majora's Mask outside each of the four real dungeons that take a while to solve and make your way through before you are allowed access to the real dungeon.
But the five named dungeons in WW do feel like full and real dungeons. Which ones do you consider real ones, anyways?

While I haven't played it myself, I hear King Kong is a major perpetrator of this. The beginning of the game is amazing and theatrical but just kind of suddenly ends.

Willy105 said:

It's tragic.

Great, great pick. Had the IR controls had even been half as precise as the Wii's channel menu, it could have been one of the most exciting experiences on the console. As-is, it's wonderful, but the unrealized potential is gut-wrenching.

EctoPrime

That empty building in Hyrule Marketplace with the Gorons from Twilight Princess seems like it was intended to be a hotel.

On the other hand it seems a section that was cut from the fire temple was kept and dumped in a hole in the ground.

Dreamwriter said:
1. Dragon Roost Cavern
2. Forbidden Woods
3. Tower of the Gods
4. Earth Temple
5. Wind Temple

They all have a dungeon map, a compass, a bunch of small keys, a boss key, a single main item, and a boss that drops a Heart Container in the end. And I'm not even counting the Forsaken Fortress.

None of them seemed any more or less Zelda dungeony than each other.

ICallItFutile said:
It was done, just broken.
Many main features of the MP were changed during the last 2 years with title updates. For example, smoke grenades and their stunning effect, torque bow ammunition removal, the balance of weapons, the matchmaking and so on and I would call it unfinished because Epic is still making title updates, which will remove, add or customize some gameplay mechanics.

Top Bottom