• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the final boss isn't the hardest mandatory boss

oni-link

What are some games where the final boss isn't actually the hardest boss in the game?

The reason I have said "hardest mandatory boss" in the title is that I'm not talking about optional bosses or post game bosses that are designed to be harder than the final boss

I want to talk about games that for whatever reason have bosses that are harder than the final boss. If you're unsure if a boss qualifies for this topic, ask yourself if you have to beat this boss in order to beat the game. If you do, and that boss is harder than the final boss of that game, then it qualifies

(If possible please try and avoid spoilers, especially with newer games)

I recently beat the Specter of Torment DLC for Shovel Knight, and found the penultimate boss a lot harder than the final boss, and I also remember
Lorithia
in the original Xenoblade giving me way more trouble than the final boss

Demon's Souls is another example, though that is done for thematic/narrative reasons as opposed to poor balance

What do you think, GAF, do you have any examples of games where the final boss isn't the toughest mandatory boss? Do you think this is down to poor balance, or your particular play style, or even for narrative reasons

JPS Kai

Usually it's for more mechanical reasons, such as not having all of the character's abilities at that time vs. when you actually fight the big baddie. EarthBound comes to mind with a couple of fights that are more difficult than its thematic conclusion.

shmoglish

Nioh. The final boss is also the lamest

You fight against Orochi/Hydraesque boss and that what makes the fighting system strong, does not really appear here because it really plays different

Strings

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix definitely has this with the Roxas encounter. Hard to be mad at it when it's such a ludicrously awesome fight though.

I just finished Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and thought
Riku
was tougher than
ansem

That's a huge gauntlet of bosses though, and all together, I'd say they're tougher imo.

AkIRA_22

hqdefault.jpg

EDIT: Ahhh... mandatory. Still a fucker this guy. I found the various Jenova's were harder than Sephiroth.

Puppet Ganon in Wind Waker is much harder for me than the final fight. I suppose it doesn't really matter since they take place back to back but it was still kind of weird to end on the easier form haha

MrBadger

Crash Bandicoot's final bosses tend to be ridiculously easy compared to the rest of the game.

Pacman World 2 has Clyde, who's way harder than the final boss and it seems like the game devs knew that based on his dialogue.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Divinity Original Sin: Bracuss , that bastard...

You haven't read the OP, have you?

I did again, I missed his explanation - its a little obtuse - he's looking for the mandatory non final bosses that are harder to beat than the mandatory final boss?

Going with that, there's a ton of enemies in Monster Hunter than gave me a way harder time than the endgame content. Kutku took me forever when I was starting out with that game.

tsundoku

This is like almost every game. Let alone the fact that lots of devs want you to overcome a hard challenge right beside the save point (for quick retries), get a big story reveal/cutscene and then fight a boss that looks hard but you "succeed on your first try" as your victory lap / with your unlocked power

In games that do present their hardest challenge as the final boss in the standard difficulty curve you will know objectively that you're fighting the last boss and know you can use all those temporary/expendable resources/meters/powerups you've been saving for the last hour / dozen hours

Valahart

Should the final boss always be the hardest though? I feel like whenever I'm close to beating a game I get into this flow state where if I don't finish it on that play session it feels like the game's pacing is just wrong. Sometimes having a final boss that's mechanically interesting while not as hard as some of the bosses right before it feels good.

Lorithia in Xenoblade Chronicles was indeed the one that came to mind for me too. She was a boss that was ruled by mechanics that I had been mostly ignoring until that point. The one time these mechanics were relevant before this, was much earlier against... Lorithia's personal guard? I guess that should have tipped me off, I suppose, but it didn't. I just brute-forced my way through it.

Dark Souls 1. Four Kings are harder than Gwyn.

EDIT: I would say Dark Souls 2 but the bosses that are harder than Nashandra are all optional.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Final Fantasy IX maybe ? Memory's a bit hazy but I remember the last-last boss wasn't that hard.

I thought S+O were harder than the final boss in Dark Souls (but fighting those two was also the fucking coolest shit in the game!).

I had much more trouble against the 'Four' Kings in Dark Souls than against the final boss. It's a visually unique fight but mechanically it's a pain.

GenG3000

Every RPG ever.

Baten Kaitos: Giacomo and co. in the flying ship.
Baten Kaitos Origins: The tropical bird and its spawn at the beginning of the second disc.

I had much more trouble against the 'Four' Kings in Dark Souls than against the final boss. It's a visually unique fight but mechanically it's a pain.

People who can beat that fight on NG++ and beyond are superhuman as far as I'm concerned. Increasing their health and damage but not the time taken for them to spawn was bullshit.

Strings

Huh, I always figured Gwyn was intended as an intentional anti-climax. He's way weaker than you'd expect, and the music gives the fight a real melancholy.

Lincoln6Vacano

Neo Member
Every Dark Souls game so far.

From the top of my head:

DS1 Ornstein & Smough
DS2 Looking Glass Knight
DS3 Storm King

If you add DLC to it, the end bosses become even more irrelevant.

Jodast

Fadroh in Baten Kaitos. I had to spend so much time optimising my card sets to beat him and it still took about a dozen attempts.

Lincoln6Vacano

Neo Member
Dark Souls 1. Four Kings are harder than Gwyn.

EDIT: I would say Dark Souls 2 but the bosses that are harder than Nashandra are all optional.

huh, is there actually anyone on this planet that classifies Nashandra as hard? I never knew.

I think almost any boss in DS2 gave me more trouble than her. But that's of course personal experience.

JBwB

Don't most games these days fall into this category though? I can't even recall the last game I've played where the final boss was actually the hardest mandatory boss in the game.

Maybe because of the toolset available at the time, but in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I found Thunderblight Ganon much harder than Calamity Ganon

Top Bottom