• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with actually good beginnings

RedSwirl

Tutorials suck these days. They feel like they're blocking you from starting the "real game." Arguably the best tutorials though are the ones that feel like miniature versions of the real game, flowing with the same pace and structure, must maybe slightly easier.

Breath of the Wild and the Souls games both do a great job of this. People say BOTW doesn't have a tutorial but the Great Plateau really is the tutorial, it's probably the best way to do a tutorial for an open-world game. It's amazing when you compare it directly to Skyrim's opening. Witcher 3 in my opinion does a pretty good job of the open-world tutorial too, I liked White Orchard. MGSV Ground Zeroes was a much better tutorial than the actual beginning of Phantom Pain.

Kraq

There's been many good mentions here like MGS2, MGS5, Bioshock Infinite and God of War 3, but I wanna bring up Assassin's Creed 3. I really liked Haytham and the opera assassination. He shoulda been the main protagonist of AC3.

Airola

The newer the game is it's more probable that the game begins slowly.

It's interesting to think which modern games begin quickly but it would be also interesting to think which retro games had slow beginnings.

To answer to the topic, I'd say the first four Resident Evils have good and quick beginnings.
It's kinda weird that less and less games can't do that. There either is too much story exposition they feel they need to tell very early or the mechanics are too complicated for the game creators to think we could play the game without either giving us an overload of instructions slowing down the gameplay or putting a boring tutorial scene.

I think the first Metal Gear Solid had great tutorial which was completely optional but felt like another game you could play if you wished to do so. The game itself began very quickly and the VR thing was something that was very fun to play too. Whereas usually the tutorial levels feel like "oh I wish this was over already", the VR stuff wasn't anything like that.

Capitan

There's been many good mentions here like MGS2, MGS5, Bioshock Infinite and God of War 3, but I wanna bring up Assassin's Creed 3. I really liked Haytham and the opera assassination. He shoulda been the main protagonist of AC3.

yeah that part was awesome, and then they ruin it by throwing you into a really awful tutorial section for a few hours - after you've already proven you know how to play.

FFX had a wonderful and dramatic beginning.

picgifs-final-fantasy-x-8300007.gif

Dragon dogma :

That intro with the hero in the crpyt and then you fight a freaking chimera ... what a way to start your adventure.

----------------------
God of war 2:
Fighting in a war torn city again a giant statue that want you dead only to destroy it from the inside.

----------------------
Resident Evil 4:

That line , leon does when the bell start to ring and everyone fall back is goddamn perfect after such a tense action sequence

Servbot24

Banned
A bazillion games... the start are when they still feel fresh and nothing is a chore yet. It would be harder to chose games where the beginning isn't as good.

Standouts:

Mega Man X
Metroid Prime
Wind Waker
MGSV
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
God of War 3
Bloodborne

Hell just about every platforming and action game

As with so many other topics, RE4 is the GOAT. No bullshit, just throws you into action while incredibly subtly teaching you the mechanics but leaving it up to you to be good enough to make practical use of them.

Everdred

PREY is good example for me. I loved the first 45 minutes of the game and the set up but after about 3 hours I couldn't continue playing the game.

zenspider

Resident Evil 4.

The GOAT.

Concur with Bayonetta 2 and Nier: Automata.

I'd add Zelda: A Link to the Past, and DOOM (2016). Great intros.

Any game that can tantalize rather than tutorialize in it's first 15-30 minutes is a good start for me.

I like FFVI, Metroid Prime, and other games the let you play a 'prologue' scenario with OP whatever to come to grips with everything.

Falchion

I agree that Breath of the Wild is a master class in how to pull off effective openings but Saints Row 3 isn't far behind in my book.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you count the first village then yes .. RE4 still GOAT.

Other then that: MGS2, God of War 2, Horizon ZD for setting up the world.

Wulfram

The Origins in Dragon Age: Origins are good. Choice, good story, opportunity to flesh out your character.

(Though its a shame you go from the Origins to what is essentially another prologue, which isn't really so good.)

BiggNife

Prey 2017 has one of the best openings of the past few years. I hope other developers take pointers from it. It does such an excellent job of setting up the world and atmosphere in a short amount of time.

Doom 2016 has a great opening too, because it does not fuck around. It knows you just want to shoot things and just throws you right into the shit.

Con Con

I'm going to say Knights of the Old Republic II. That mining colony was creepy, and it was a cool way to learn the ropes. Also, it was a unique tone for Star Wars, which of course all of KotoR II is.

Wulfram

I'm going to say Knights of the Old Republic II. That mining colony was creepy, and it was a cool way to learn the ropes. Also, it was a unique tone for Star Wars, which of course all of KotoR II is.

Really? Wow, I don't think that's the general opinion of Peragus.

The mainline GOW games had the best intros in the series. This is still one of my favorite Penny Arcade comics:

217498941_UNH3Z-2100x20000.jpg

I just played GOW3: Remastered, and it's still a great game, but man, GOW2 seems to have very big moments besides its opening, whereas GOW3 really doesn't have a moment besides the final boss that matches in terms of scope, and I'm including the huge boss battle as well.

Tutorials suck these days. They feel like they're blocking you from starting the "real game." Arguably the best tutorials though are the ones that feel like miniature versions of the real game, flowing with the same pace and structure, must maybe slightly easier.

Absolutely agree, Resident Evil 4 is one of the best example.

I think tutorial should be part of the game, not something that feel separated and different. Rules that apply to the ''actual gameplay'' should also apply to the ''tutorial gameplay'', forcing player to slow walk only and unable to fire their weapon simply isn't the way to go.

The Evil Within is terrible when it comes to this, like, what the fuck are you doing Mikami-san? Have you forgot how to make games?
The first chapter (aka slow walk and limping simulator) makes replaying The Evil Within so much more tedious than it needs to be, I say this because I love the game.

Super Mario 3D World has an excellent beginning. Quick cutscene then you're dumped into the first level with no tutorializing and plenty of new mechanics to explore. I must have played that level 20 times over the course of introducing the game to new players and it was always fun.

As others have said, God of War III is absolutely insane and wins the "best cinematic" opening title for me.

Oh jesus, I totally read this wrong... and thought "Games with actually good endings," Jesus sometimes my brain just reads the post I want to reply to, not the one that's there.

Original post totally misreading:

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.
Grand Theft Auto Vice City

And even GTAIII, I just don't remember it as well and the game wasn't as story driven as the other two.

But both of those games had terrific finishes that were perfectly befitting the story. I really dislike how Rockstar went in the opposite direction with GTA IV and GTA V, and to an extent, RDR. Those games are tonally very different from SA / VC, but their interest in 'punishing' the player with negative or bittersweet endings just seems off for me, where as San Andreas really felt great after finishing it.

In SA, you've done mostly everything. You brought down a massive criminal enterprise, you started your own massive criminal enterprise, you've secured a mansion in the Hollywood Hills, you were inadvertently related to being part of the LA Riots, and then the final couple missions you work to bring down the corrupt police & gangsters who caused the riots, control LA, and have made your life awful throughout the events of the game. You have some really long, fairly epic missions at the end, all of your allies you've met in the game help you in some way, you walk off leaving the corrupt police sergeant to die on his own smartly, walk back to the neighborhood that you just recently took back from a rival gang, and the city is your's.

I remember feeling really accomplished at the end of that game, and it also helps that you have this enormous arsenal of earned up weapons, vehicles, and all else at your disposal. This is something that GTAV just got wrong, but it seemed like they did it on purpose, of course, as some way to teach the player a life lesson about extravagance or something. It's one of the reasons why I still think that GTA:SA is the best GTA game.

*edited actually replying to OP:

Of course, reading this, it definitely doesn't apply gameplay wise, though storywise they both have good setups, with GTA:VC having a great storyline setup that drops you perfectly into the age and time. Prior to GTAVC, not many games did modern period pieces or did them exceptionally well. The closest would have been something like a World War II game, where they basically just tell you "It's the 1940s, here's a gun and there's nazis," and that's basically it. GTAVC is one of the first games to really try to replicate a contemporary period with music, style, theme, characters, and all else, and for a videogame it hit it out of the park.

The Bioshock's introductions are excellent, setting up the world so perfectly. I was in awe of the world crafting in both games.

phant0m

First level of Doom '16 is utter perfection in terms of execution. In the noclip doc, Mary talks about how long they spent getting the shotgun pump to time perfectly with the music.

Top Bottom