• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with genuinely great writing (SPOILERS WARNING)

GreyHorace

The recent thread regarding the Writers Guild Association drops the 'videogame' category had some discussion regarding the quality of writing in videogames. Some claim that the removal was deserved and that videogame stories have always been shit, while others think that the medium deserves to be acknowledge as much as movies, tv or literature.

I really don't care for accolades, only that whatever stories there are games are enjoyable and interesting and allow one to immerse themselves in the worlds developers create. To say there are no stories of great quality in games is a reductive statement, as I've experienced a number of videogames with great storylines. Here are my picks among the games I've played:

Grim Fandango (Lucasarts)

2b3a95ae2100921abc9215b54a26473f-480-80.jpg

Salvador: {to Manny, about Meche} Manuel? Are you... in love with her?
Manny: Love? Love is for the living, Sal. I'm only after her for one reason - she's my ticket out of here.

It's a Tim Schafer game, yes. So you can expect the trademark humor along with a bizzare setting. But underneath all that is genuine film noir tale of greed and corruption in The Land of the Dead. Through it's many twist and turns main character Manny Calavera emerges as one the most interesting and unique protagonists in gaming.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Lucasarts/Obsidian Entertainment)

knights-of-the-old-republic.jpg

Kreia: Take the greatest Jedi Knight, strip away the Force, and what remains? They rely on it. Depend on it, more than they know. Watch as one tries to hold a blaster, as they try to hold a lightsaber, and you will see nothing more than a woman – or a man. A child.

The first Knights of the Old Republic game was a straight up tale of good vs evil much like the original Star Wars films. Rather than follow that up with the sequel, Obsidian Entertainment (known for Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Pillars of Eternity) would tackle a different tale, one that sought to examine the core themes of George Lucas' space fantasy saga. Through the journey of the Jedi Exile and their morally ambigious mentor, Kreia, the game asked questions such as: Is the Force a benevolent presence that brings balance or an element of chaos that breeds conflict? Are the Jedi or the Sith really all that different? And would the galaxy be better off if they never existed?

This game dared to deconstruct the entire Star Wars universe years before Rian Johnson spectacularly failed to do so with The Last Jedi. Chris Avellone and the team at Obsidian ought to be given high praise for this.

Prince of Persia 2008 (Ubisoft)

5cb4635cf75c1916-600x338.jpg

Elika: What is one grain of sand in the desert? What is one grain of sand in the storm?"

After the Sands of Time trilogy, Ubisoft rebooted the series with a new Prince and setting. This time, the Prince is forced to partner with the Ahuran princess Elika in helping seal away the dark God Ahriman. Throughout the adventure, the self-serving Prince and Elika bond and grow close through their shared experiences. But it's this bond that gives the Prince the impetus to commit the ultimate act of selfishness that leads to one of bleakest endings I've seen in any media.

Assassin's Creed 3 (Ubisoft)

ac3-top-625x352.png

Haytham Kenway: The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge. They WANT to be told what to do. They YEARN for it. Little wonder that, since all mankind was BUILT to SERVE.
Connor Kenway: So because we are inclined by nature to be controlled, who better than the Templars? It's a poor offer.
Haytham Kenway: It is truth. Principle and practice are two very different beasts.
Connor Kenway: No Father... You have given up - and you would have us all do the same.

Yeah yeah. I know many people are not fans of this game. It had some stupid bugs upon release and some serious gameplay issues that weren't refined until the sequel Black Flag. A shame though, because AC3 had the best story of the entire series. Like The Sith Lords example above, AC3 went a different route and took a hard look at all the core elements of the series. Before, the difference between the Assassins and the Templars was pretty clear cut and their conflict throughout human history is what drives the series' core narrative. AC3 on the other hand, asks whether this conflict between the two factions achieves anything of worth and whether they're just pawns in a much larger game. The same scrutiny is given to the American Revolution where the game takes place.

It's for these reasons why I think Assassin's Creed 3 is an underrated game. Ubisoft stumbled in releasing this game too early, but the narrative choices in it were superb.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (CD Projekt Red)

origin.jpg

Geralt: “Care to tell me what it was all about?”
Letho of Gulet: “Hm. Kill as many rulers as we could. Lay the blame on the sorceresses. Breed chaos. Prepare the North, soften it before the invasion. And you know what’s incredible? We could not have imagined more fertile soil. No matter what the war’s outcome, the Northern monarchs’ll accuse one another, pursue their god-given rights, seek vengeance and be at each other’s throats for years to come. The North resembles a whorehouse on fire, as your friend Dandelion would say.”

The second game in The Witcher saga finds Geralt of Rivia framed for the murder of King Foltest of Temeria, and he has to untangle a knotted web of conspiracy to clear his name. It's a brilliantly plotted title with some great twists and surprises whether you take any of two divergent paths that happen midway through the game.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (CD Projekt Red)

ah81fpvnuv031.jpg

Gaunter O'Dimm: In brief, I give folk what they ask for. You might say I simply grant their wishes.
Geralt: And drop them in a world of hurt.
Gaunter O'Dimm: No, not I! That would be their poorly-formulated wishes. I'm no cheat. I give folk what they want, nothing more. That they oft desire unworthy things... that is entirely the fault of their own rotten natures.

Don't get me wrong, I thought The Witcher 3's writing was brilliant and many of the questlines were handled beautifully (particularly the Bloody Baron storyline). But it's first expansion, Hearts of Stone, CD Projekt Red really outdid themselves by taking a standard Deal with the Devil plotline and crafting their own unique take on it.

To tell how brilliant Hearts of Stone is would be one long ass post. Instead, you guys should check out Super Bunnyhop's analysis on it. Highly recommended.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)

2Pk2tDMwtRuE3nXWNCDHGT.jpg

Sister Calderón: Be grateful that for the first time, you see your life clearly. Perhaps you could help somebody? Helping makes you really happy.
Arthur: But... I still don't believe in nothin'.
Sister Calderón: Often, neither do I. But then, I meet someone like you, and everything makes sense.
Arthur: Heh... You're too smart for me, Sister. I guess I... I'm afraid.
Sister Calderón: There is nothing to be afraid of, Mr. Morgan. Take a gamble that love exists, and do a loving act.

I don't think there's any more to be said about the second entry of Rockstar's western series. Some people hate it because of the gameplay and others think it didn't live up to the hype. Me though, I thought Dan Houser and his writing team outdid themselves in crafting the narrative of this prequel to the first game. They gave us a great protagonist in Arthur Morgan and his journey of redemption after a lifetime of wrongdoing was both tragic and poignant at the same time.

So those are my picks. Take note that this is my opinion and you're free to disagree with what I've posted. Taste after all, is subjective. So let's hear your examples of great writing in videogames GAF.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Good thread idea. I think those are all quite literary but I'm personally a bigger fan of environmental storytelling, which doesn't necessarily rely on great prose.

The following are some of my favourite stories in games, but I don't necessarily think they all have consistently great writing - just good ideas which translates into the writing.

--

SOMA (Frictional Games)

The Talos Principle (Croteam) - the text logs are brilliant!

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (TheChineseRoom)

Device 6 (Simogo)

Digital: A Love Story (LoveConquersAll)

Xenogears (SquareSoft)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Eidos Montreal)

Portal 2 (Valve)

Transistor (Supergiant Games)

Syberia (Microids)

The Longest Journey (Funcom)

The Last Express (Smoking Car Productions)

80 Days (Inkle)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (Kojami)

Nier Automata (PlatinumGames)

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (Cyberdreams)

Kentucky Route Zero (Cardboard Computer)

The Beginner's Guide (Davey Wreden)

Silent Hill 2 (Konami)

--

There's probably more, these just happen to be the ones I've played.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Shadow of The Colossus.

One of the few games that knew how to tell a compelling story in a medium that is far different than film.

This for me is a bad choice. See my post above about environmental storytelling to see that I love those kind of games, but SotC takes it to an extreme state.

It's an AMAZING game but it purposefully doesn't rely on writing. Same with LIMBO, INSIDE, Okami, Ico, etc.

Last edited:

protonion

My answer in these topics is always Discworld Noir.

I have the original discs but I cannot get it to run. I gave up on GOG and decided to load it on my psclassic.

It is a sin this game is so overlooked. One of the best point and click adventures ever.

Here are some quotes I googled:

Lewton: With my brains and your looks, we could go places.
Carlotta: What about with my brains and your looks?
Lewton: We could still go places; they just wouldn't be as nice.

Lewton: The troll stepped out of the shadows like light was too intimidated to illuminate him. He seemed like the quiet sort, but you got the feeling that if you stepped out of line you'd get your teeth kicked down your throat. For that matter, he could kick your throat down your chest and your chest through your legs, but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that because none of my clothes would fit.

Butler: If sir is not too busy, the master of the house wishes a word with you.
Lewton: And if I am too busy?
Butler: The master of the house still wishes a word with you, and I shall be forced to beg.
Lewton: That sounds like it could be fun.
Butler: Did I say "beg," sir? I meant, "resort to violence".
Lewton: In which case, lead the way.

ROMhack

I have the original discs but I cannot get it to run. I gave up on GOG and decided to load it on my psclassic.

It is a sin this game is so overlooked. One of the best point and click adventures ever.

Lewton: The troll stepped out of the shadows like light was too intimidated to illuminate him. He seemed like the quiet sort, but you got the feeling that if you stepped out of line you'd get your teeth kicked down your throat. For that matter, he could kick your throat down your chest and your chest through your legs, but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that because none of my clothes would fit.

Butler: The master of the house still wishes a word with you, and I shall be forced to beg.

Yep, I haven't played much of that one but I did consider putting the original Discworld in my list above.

The writing really is solid and very funny. Up there with Grim Fandango as one of the most genuinely amusing games I've played.

GreyHorace

Did Terry Pratchett actually write that game? Because these quotes are very similar to his writing.

Fuz

Banned

Notice how intelligently subverts the trope of the princess in distress. Notice also how everything Guybrush doing is for nothing, for example:
- Three trials to become a pirate and when the third is done the pirate captains are disappeared
- Gets a boat and a crew only for them to immediately mutiny
- gets on the right island only by chance
- finds the ghost pirates ship but he hasn't a "weapon" to fight them, and when he gets a weapon they're already left... for the starting point
- gets into the church during the wedding only to discover the damsel in distress had everything under control and only mess up her plans

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is a game I wish they'd remaster. I've heard nothing but good things but the gameplay is so janky!
I love this game but hate the gameplay and the way you have to kill your enemies. The writing/dialogue however is fucking excellent. Sadly the series is dead since Squeenix acquired them and I have no idea if the team is still around. The chance of a remaster are lower than anybody on gaf winning the lottery.

ROMhack

Notice how intelligently subverts the trope of the princess in distress. Notice also how everything Guybrush doing is for nothing, for example:
- Three trials to become a pirate and when the third is done the pirate captains are disappeared
- Gets a boat and a crew only for them to immediately mutiny
- gets on the right island only by chance
- finds the ghost pirates ship but he hasn't a "weapon" to fight them, and when he gets a weapon they're already left... for the starting point
- gets into the church during the wedding only to discover the damsel in distress had everything under control and only mess up her plans

Guybrush is what Homer Simpson used to be (ie a moron who accomplishes a lot).

Fuz

Banned
You don't think so? I'd say there's some good parallels there. Maybe a bit superficial though. I can see the Buster Keaton parallels too.
Not exactly. He's not a complete moron, just a nerd. And he doesn't solve anything, quite the opposite. Watch the video, it's very interesting.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Not exactly. He's not a complete moron, just a nerd. And he doesn't solve anything, quite the opposite. Whatch the video, it's very interesting.

Ah yeah, fair. Homer is only a nerd in that one episode.

I'll watch it.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Ah yeah, fair. Homer is only a nerd in that one episode.

I'll watch it.
This is OT, but I also think that Homer became a real moron only after the Simpsons jumped the shark (around season 12-14 or so - very rough estimate), and that was probably the cause of the jumping in the first place. They went from smart cultural, social and political satyre to just "look how stupid Homer is".
I know what you mean - he got dumb for the sake of dumb.

Still, this was Season 3 and more what I meant by my earlier definition:

EfbZ88UFj0DJVsXhIllT9o2AqaZPpT-aehzhYzbuP18.png
But it wasn't his one and only quality back then.

Last edited:

ROMhack

This is OT, but I also think that Homer became a real moron only after the Simpsons jumped the shark (around season 12-14 or so - very rough estimate), and that was probably the cause of the jumping in the first place. They went from smart cultural, social and political satyre to just "look how stupid Homer is".

I know what you mean - he got dumb for the sake of dumb.

Still, this was Season 3 and more what I meant by my earlier definition:

EfbZ88UFj0DJVsXhIllT9o2AqaZPpT-aehzhYzbuP18.png

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Ogbert

Genuinely not trying to be needlessly contrary, but I’ve never played a game with anything resembling even average writing.

A melodrama like TLoU has about as much emotional impact as an episode of Home and Away.

I do like games, however, with lore. So something like Dark Souls achieves something that novels and films cannot. You get to, quite literally, revolve the camera and absorb a setting. That’s what makes games magic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Genuinely not trying to be needlessly contrary, but I’ve never played a game with anything resembling even average writing.

A melodrama like TLoU has about as much emotional impact as an episode of Home and Away.

I do like games, however, with lore. So something like Dark Souls achieves something that novels and films cannot. You get to, quite literally, revolve the camera and absorb a setting. That’s what makes games magic.

This says more about you than the works you are referencing. Seems to me that context is blinding you to obvious merits in writing and performance.

Ogbert

This says more about you than the works you are referencing. Seems to me that context is blinding you to obvious merits in writing and performance.

Perhaps.

What frustrates me with this conversation is that the like a of Naughty Dog are making people think that the pinnacle of video game design is to be found in the writing. This, in my opinion, is utterly, utterly incorrect.

Mechanics, then visual design, then soundtrack, then, in clear last place, the written element.

Anyway, Bioshock floated some interesting ideas and had a good Agatha Christie turn.

ROMhack

Perhaps.

What frustrates me with this conversation is that the like a of Naughty Dog are making people think that the pinnacle of video game design is to be found in the writing. This, in my opinion, is utterly, utterly incorrect.

Mechanics, then visual design, then soundtrack, then, in clear last place, the written element.

Anyway, Bioshock floated some interesting ideas and had a good Agatha Christie turn.

I second this. Situation reminds me a bit of people who think TV is much, much better than movies. Like sure it is, but only if you only prioritise writing, characters and dialogue.

Cinematography - the closest we're getting to visual design in games - rarely comes up in those debates.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Eternal Darkness. I wonder a bit how it’s aged, as 2002 was a long time ago, and I’ve matured (very slightly) a bit, especially in what I expect from a game, but I recall the writing being marvelous, ranging from the Edgar Allen Poe quote starting the game, to some truly awesome narration inbetween chapters. Even beyond dialogue, the entire story concepts the game was built on were really impressive.

Last edited:
The Trails series of JRPGs has some of the best writing in the genre. Great worldbuilding and character development that makes you genuinely depressed that it ends.
The same goes for the Utawarerumono trilogy. All the time both series spend with slice of life style stuff makes the actual plot development beats even more impactful because you have so much more context to go on.

Planescape: Torment and the original Fallout have the best writing i have ever experienced in a video game as a whole, because the quality of the writing is at a constant level throughout every written element, which makes the world, the characters, the quests (which are extremely well designed) and the journey extraordinarily memorable. Planescape: Torment edges out over the original Fallout, because the theme stuck with me significantly more.

Here's a snippet of a small conversation between The Nameless One (you) and a character (Vhailor):

Vhailor: When the injustice is great enough, justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it. None may stand against it. It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment, and lend its servant the power to pass sentence. Know this: There is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them. It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods. Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe.

Nameless One: I see.

Vhailor: No, you do NOT see. Pray you never will.

Well why would it frustrate you? Examples are always going to be based on what the individual experienced. Unless we played a good amount of the same video games and we happened to share a similarity between our opinions on those games, we aren't going to agree on what games may contain the best writing.

I agree that The Last of Us isn't a good example of great or good writing, but i don't think it's bad by any stretch of the imagination. It's amateurish, predictable and cliched down to its very core, but it works. Also, the strong cinematic presentation in TLoU (which i think is what Naughty Dog excel at) is a surefire way to make that plot conveyed to the widest demographic possible. If that's the best writing they've experienced in a video game, then fair enough.

zenspider

Perhaps.

I disagree with you here, but only because you are allowing what they consider writing to obfuscate what what you (correctly) consider writing.
Not every game is a mechanical toy or simulation. Most are draped in a narrative abstraction. You are Dave, trying to get the high score of this real-time action puzzle game, sure, but you are also Pac-Man. That is, in the gaming context, writing.

It's true that in the beginning, it was more of a necessity to allow the player to make sense of the crude graphical representations available, but that is where we accidentally discovered the intrinsic, deep magic of video games.

I think to discount that, as both you and who you're criticizing are, is a mistake.

TLOU isn't more properly 'writing' because there's more of it, particularly up front. In fact, I'd argue that it stems from an insecurity - Pac-Man's smaller 'draping' of context still does more heavy lifting for immersion, avatarship, and player compulsion than TLOU.

Gamers are historically embarrassed that the motivation and compulsion to play has never mapped onto other mediums. That scaffolding of 'writing' grew, one could argue, to spare the gaming literate the wedgies, swirlies, and other bullyings of a contemptous broader audience.

Geki-D

Banned
Perhaps.

What bubble do you live in where ND are only promoting and complimented on their writing?
Best OST, best visuals, best audio design, best art direction, best technology, animation, control design, lighting, textures, gameplay... The Last of Us got rewards for more than just writing.

S77

NieR: Gestalt/Replicant

The most underrated game in existence in my opinion. The writing of the story and characters is simply one of the best, and the voice acting is 10/10 too. The interactions between the characters (especially Weiss and Kaine) is pure gold. Unfortunately, as good and held in high regard is Automata, it just pales in comparison to the first game.

And one of the many quotes that contrast the very tragical story of the game:
"Have we truly sunk to motivational speeches from a woman in her undergarments?"

fqZmpo7.jpg

Bloodborne has amazing lore but you could play through the whole game 3 times and totally overlook it. It's sort of a thing with some games; they can have amazing writing but it's writing you can totally skip.

The best kind of delivery in an interactive medium.

Top Bottom