• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with large female fanbases.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I will add that my non-gaming ex watched me play the first few hours of The Witcher 3 and was so impressed she asked me to teach her to play (we broke up, never got a chance) but still.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Seems like most of the ~20 year old women at my school love mobas... either LoL or Dota2.

But then again every ~20 year old loves mobas, it seems...

Sephzilla

Devil May Cry has a fairly large female fanbase. I wonder why

11833.jpg

Ysarus

I think any great game that doesn't actively try to push women away will get a big female fan base. I know in my case, it's less "What will I play?" and more "What will I not play?"

Also: Ace Attorney?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You'd have to assume most of them at this point:

I guess it depends on how large a percentage we have to hit before you get to "large" though.

The passage of time has changed a lot from when most posters on GAF were growing up and gaming became something pretty much everyone does instead of being seen as the hobby of basement dwelling nerds.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Final Fantasy is a big one.

I think MMOs in general tend to have a pretty sizeable female population too. Most other games will have guys who do the whole "OMG A GRIL" freakout if they run into a girl in-game, but girls are common enough in MMOs to not draw notice anymore.

I wonder what the gender breakdown for the Sims franchise is. My impression is that it may have a larger female than male fanbase.

Considering most of the Sims playing Youtube personalities seem to be women I wouldn't be surprised.

And in my circle of gaming friends I'm the only male that enjoys the Sims.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Judging from my anime convention experience, here are games with large female fanbases.
-Fire Emblem
-Puzzle and Dragons
-Final Fantasy
-League of Legends
-Kingdom Hearts
-Ace Attorney
-Danganronpa
-Bravely Default
-Legend of Zelda
-Style savvy
-Tales of..

Basically JRPG's and Nintendo games have many female fans.

Black_Red

Minecraft, my sister and her friends spend a lot of time plaiyng Minecraft and then watching videos of the same game.
I was going to say Pokemon and Ace Attorney too, but that might be just my sister and a couple of girls from college.

Toxi

Banned
Myst had a very large female fanbase, though I imagine there isn't much of a fanbase of any kind these days.

Pokemon has a decent-sized fanbase of girls and women. Surprisingly, female Pokemon players trend older than the male ones. Maybe it's because video games are less accepted among girls than boys at a young age, or maybe it's because the anime (Which is what gets a lot of young kids into Pokemon) stars a male character.

06l.jpg

From the perspective of the FGC, Street fighter... well it doesn't have a strong female presence at all.
Oddly enough, Dead or Alive seems to be the most popular, despite or perhaps completely due to, well.. everything.
This isn't that surprising; while Dead or Alive is focused on the fanservice, it does have a pretty large female cast.

Aeana

If you look at the responses to the thread, it's almost like we like the same kinds of games as guys do for the most part! It's just like what various sources have been trying to tell you all along.

Kthulhu

The I only know two hardcore female gamers. One likes Pokemon (A LOT, SO MANY PLUSHIES) and the other likes Halo (violent rage quits when loses)

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, I also have to mention that it seems that Dead or Alive has many female fans, the fanbase seems to be more female dominated than other franchises like Tekken and Soul Calibur, which also has a substantial female base.

At least from my experiences.

PaulBizkit

The sims, animal crossing, pokemon, minecraft. Anime-y stuff like final fantasy and kingdom hearts.

And league of legends too.

sims for sure, an ex was addicted to that for a while, she wouldn't let me touch her profile haha

i wouldn't have done anything bad to them, honest :p

NoKisum

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Have yet to meet a single female gamer that dislikes both of them (often one or the other at most).

If you look at the responses to the thread, it's almost like we like the same kinds of games as guys do for the most part! It's just like what various sources have been trying to tell you all along.

Yea it wouldn't be surprising to find that it's really mixed in terms of which gender plays what.

Hellraider

I wonder what the gender breakdown for the Sims franchise is. My impression is that it may have a larger female than male fanbase.

I remember back at high school finding really bizarre how many girls knew what Sims was. Many of them were pretty big fans, too.

StoneFox

Kingdom Hearts probably has more female fans than male. I've come across way more girls into it, unsurprising given that the majority of the characters are attractive men.

Bioware games and surprisingly the Gears of War games. Back in the old days of ranked execution me and my friends would constantly get faced against women deeply into Gears, which was cool. I think it had a big influence on them making a tonne of Gears 3 female multiplayer skins whereas the previous 2 games had none.

Hcoregamer00

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Have yet to meet a single female gamer that dislikes both of them (often one or the other at most).

Yes, final fantasy has a huge female fanbase in the west, not sure about Japan.

While there was a GAF thread bitching about all-male FF XV, all I saw in my FB feed was women talking about how it is going to be the best FF ever because the whole cast is hot.

Top Bottom