• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with large female fanbases.

BadRamen

The Fable series, even with 1 only letting you be The Hero of Oakvale (always male). Among many things, the option to be a female alone is pretty huge and being able to customize damn near everything about your looks and what kind of combat style/abilities you want helps for sure too. Plus they aren't some grindy super long and unnecessarily difficult games.

Elder Scrolls Series, with Oblivion and Skyrim really showing force in my lady circle.

Oh and always Mario Kart.

My girlfriend likes old Adventure games by Suda51, if that counts, but she is Japanese and grew up playing those old Human Entertainment games. She also likes Love-de-lic Inc's stuff and still follows what the former members do nowadays.

Just from my experience, the Final Fantasy series and games like Virtue's Last Reward and the Danganronpa games seem to have larger female audiences.

They have good taste, that's why. I also notice that Fatal Frame has plenty of female fans, just go on Twitch or YouTube and see for yourselves. Again, good taste. :)

I am female
I like most games
Japanese games are my least favorite
such as Fantasy games, God of War, Devil May Cry

my favorite are indeed RPG's such as Oblivion and Fallout
but I do not care for the Witcher or Dragon age, though I have played them
I would say I like open world type games the best, the type that does not box me in
but I am currently playing Gears of War and I have Dishonored installed
I do like some shooters for their single player story, I am less likely to play multiplayer games these days
i do not play mobile games, none installed on my phones nor tablets

Fisty

My GF loves RTS games like Civ, AoE, and Pharoah, as well as various Sim games.

I think its hilarious since shes a control freak in real life.

Toxi

Banned
Outside of video games, in my personal experience tabletop role-playing games have tons of women playing. I remember one 3.5 group of 5 where I was the only guy. Going to my local game store, there's a huge disparity between the number of women playing RPGs versus Magic the Gathering.

lydia

Neo Member
I would like to see more statistics and less of "My mum/sister/gf did so I'm assuming all girls/women like.."
Opinions between myself and female friends varies a lot.

Jawmuncher

Persona and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. One of the reasons why P3P remains the best since it had a playable female MC.

Mexen

From my experience, it's mostly Nintendo games. There are a few in my circle of friends who play Dota or a shooter or fighting games though.

LiK

Destiny - the amount of female Gaffers and random females i ran across online is actually pretty common.

The sims has a large teen girl population I've noticed. A shame as I find the average teen girl quite annoying so I end up staying away from their forums and the like.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda for sure.
Persona and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. One of the reasons why P3P remains the best since it had a playable female MC.
Absolutely. I was so disappointed when I found out that P4 Golden didn't do the same.

Tigress

I think any great game that doesn't actively try to push women away will get a big female fan base. I know in my case, it's less "What will I play?" and more "What will I not play?"

Also: Ace Attorney?

I gotta agree with this. And I would say MGS does seem to actively try to push women away. It almost screams that, "This is a guy's game. Deal with it." I'm not surprised it's mostly a male fanbase.

It's not game mechanics... it's the fact that he does stuff like Quiet or the random cardboard boxes that you can put pinups on to distract the guards (as if they wouldn't suddenly wonder why a cardboard box with a pinup showed up out of nowhere). ANd just in general females are treated like eye candy for the guys (I don't even think GTA is as annoying honestly. But GTA doesn't try to come up with BS excuses for stuff like Quiet either nor does it try to be a serious game. At least the female eye candy there actually makes sense in the context they put them in).

Raysod

Banned
My girlfriend plays Game of War Fire Age on ios (ipad and iphone) all the time and half of the people in the game world are females…

And we are talking about hundreds of thousands gamers/casuals that play this game...

Point and click adventures, definitely. Puzzle games, obviously, as they're more about cognition than twitch reflexes.

My sister loves Dead Or Alive so much. Makes sense, so many ladies in it and they look cute. Other fighting franchises don't advertise their women characters as much. She doesn't care about the sexualisation.

Sims is an obvious one.

Kinyou

I would like to see more statistics and less of "My mum/sister/gf did so I'm assuming all girls/women like.."
Opinions between myself and female friends varies a lot.
There was this recent UK survey.

x97GPgf.jpg

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/07/24/britain-favourite-video-game-candy-crush/

The study firstly asked over 3,300 people to tell us what in their opinion is the best video or computer game of all time, which provided the basis for a shortlist of 16. Using a follow up survey, a score for each game is then calculated by balancing the breadth of appreciation (the amount of people who say they like the cartoon at all), with intensity of appreciation (the percentage who like the cartoon most out of the list of 16).

It doesn't really provide exact numbers, but you can tell which franchises are more beloved and how it compares to the other gender.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Women I know play everything

Anecdotally, the women I've talked to lately on OKC all seem to dig Beth RPGs if they are into gaming. Lots of Fallout 4 excitement. Seriously

I got a date once that I think might have mostly been about my NCR shirt

I think I ment to add the word "surprising" there's certain roster of the expected such as the sims.

And I mean, strong fandom, so we're not talking candy crush or the yearly game of Mario.

Every woman I've ever dated has loved Mario games (even though none of them have cared for gaming in general), and that's more than a few :)

What's great about that series is that you can fire it up on a first date and show them just how far gaming has come.

If British chicks play console games, then Resident Evil is always among them.

Anecdotally I think this is a good shout.
Resident evil is also that type of series that garners super fans. Happy to buy the same games repeatedly

Tigress

Women I know play everything

Anecdotally, the women I've talked to lately on OKC all seem to dig Beth RPGs if they are into gaming. Lots of Fallout 4 excitement. Seriously

I got a date once that I think might have mostly been about my NCR shirt

That's cause Fallout rocks :) :) :) :) :) (I'm not biased or anything, not me).

Also, as a female, I really appreciate that Bethesda actually seems to treat female characters quite well. They can be very kick ass and they don't try to make it so females are just sexy (in fact it seems you gotta get mods for that). For example not just offering skimpy outfits for the armor. I love the steel plate armor in Skyrim as well as the Ebony armor. My character looked kick ass and well protected. And even when having marriage in a game remembering females play too and having options for them (as well as gay). Well, unless you are a female cat character (what's up with that? And no my female cat character doesn't want to marry some weird hairless mammal with no tail and funny ears).

And fallout armor isn't made to try to look more sexy/eye candy and in fact looks very reasonable.

Eyeron

I've noticed quite a few female Destiny streamers lately.

When I played WoW, we had an almost 50/50 split in our guild.

LOLCats

Banned
My girlfriend loves the sims and city building type games. She likes assasins creed series but thats it for action adventure. She also likes guitar hero, haha, so do i.

Garlador

If my fiance wasn't in Pokemon, I never would have caught them all.

She's big into Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Professor Layton too.

Basketball

Grand theft auto

I know lots of ladies in my crew

There are countless female crews

Always a few in each session of GTA online.

And the GTA forums have a lot of female members

Top Bottom