• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You "Accidentally" Finished.

DemiMatt

Dark Souls. I mean, I knew I was at the final boss, but I wasn't prepared for
the game ending the instant you use the bonfire in that room. I was so used to just resting at every bonfire that I didn't even notice that the text for this one was different

This, I was super sad because I still had the DLC.

Wavebossa

Final Fantasy XII. I really wanted to finish mark hunts first but I accidentally beat the game (got stuck on in of those "you already saved no going back" areas) and after I did that, my desire to play plummeted.

Note to self, don't finish final fantasy games or you'll realize you should have stopped playing them long ago :(

Wiz

Fallout 3. Thought it was close but not the absolute end. Short story - I'm stuck at the end so couldn't do any of the DLC

I did this with The Witcher 2 the first time through. I hit Act 3 and decided to advance the main story just a little bit before digging into the side quests. The main quest never hit a logical break point, and before I knew it I was fighting the final boss. It really bummed me out. I don't think I even had a decent save to go back to.

And this was the Enhanced Edition on 360, so it was after they added all the stuff to Act 3.

Cyrus_Saren

Both Dark Souls games come to mind. I didn't think that the first one would end when I rested at the bonfire. For the second, I didn't think the final boss was going to be so easy.

BlitzKeeg

This happened to me last night in Dead Space 2. I thought I had one more chapter to go and then all the sudden I'm fighting the final boss, which I didn't realize was the final boss until I beat it. It didn't help that there were some loose ends that were never tied up and the ending seemed rushed. I still had a power node and a bunch of money left too.
I like Dead Space 1 a lot more overall :/

bobawesome

Dark Souls II. I didn't realize that killing
the queen
meant the game would instantly end. I never got to kill Vendrick and some of the giants.

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain you have to talk to the Emerald Herald in Majula to trigger new game+. Even then, it's a menu option.

-Silver-

Heavenly sword. Got to a big open area and thought 'great, the games going to stop holding my hand now', turns out that the credits are longer than the game.

JNA

Banned
KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords. My reaction was this:

"...wtf? Are you serious? You're going to end it like that?! Worst cliff hanger ever!"

I loved the game and i know that it was a bit rushed but the ending was pretty shit.

Chibi-Robo!

I accidentally finished the main story before helping all the toys. I did go back afterward and finish all the side missions up though.

zruben

Banned
the only one I can think of is Pokemon Gold on the GBC.

I barely understood english when I was a kid, so, I basically just wandered around, explored and beat gym leaders. I didn't really got a grasp of the story.

and suddenly,
Red.
, I almost shat my pants.

crmetteer

Fable 3 of course is my big one. But I also accidentally finished Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City. I was playing coop with my brother, and both of us were shocked when the game suddenly ended.

kirby_fox

Banned
Halo 3.

I hadn't played the other games and I was just playing through on my brothers' 360 for shits and giggles, when I decided to quit for the night. Came back the next day thinking my save was corrupted, only to find out that I had finished the game and it restarted me.

Final Fantasy X. I spent most of the time on the story, planning to do the sidequests/secret bosses later. But then suddenly the Fight with Sin started and it was over....I was shocked.

In the first Zone of the Enders, it mentions that your frame's mission is to get to Mars. I figured all the things I was doing on the space colony was just the first part of the game, and after I beat
broken Viola
I would advance to some newer area. Nope, ended just right there. Certainly one of the few times a game ending caught me off-guard.

OneLetter

Homefront.

From what I can remember it didn't even have a proper ending from a story perspective, you're just in the middle of some big battle on a bridge and then bam, a cutscene plays where some guy you don't give a shit about dies and then the credits roll. I'm pretty sure I said 'wait, that's it?' out loud to my tv. At least multiplayer was fun... up until the point that a patch caused my PS3 to crash every time I got into a lobby.

I bought it near launch as well.

This was going to be my exact answer. Homefront had a FANTASTIC battle on the Golden Gate bridge, felt like you were doing something awesome and making progress, with explosions and everything else going on.

Then it just....ends. I was quite sad.

MP was fantastic in that game as well, even in the early alpha/beta tests, up to the final product.

Zubz

Banned
Tales of Symphonia for me. Granted, I was much younger, but after, like 2 End of Game-ish "Hey! Make sure your game is saved and everything; something big's on the horizon," I didn't take the warnings seriously after the 3rd one. I mean, sure, the Final Dungeon was very clearly the Final Dungeon, but I was expecting/hoping the 2nd disc would be as long as the first. Thanks to those 2 factors combined (And the final boss just being
Mithos in a goofy looking mech
), I legitimately thought there'd be a little more to the game after that, like a playable epilogue. Or at least the option to explore the world and clear every hanging sidequest ala Paper Mario.

Tales of Symphonia for me. Granted, I was much younger, but after, like 2 End of Game-ish "Hey! Make sure your game is saved and everything; something big's on the horizon," I didn't take the warnings seriously after the 3rd one. I mean, sure, the Final Dungeon was very clearly the Final Dungeon, but I was expecting/hoping the 2nd disc would be as long as the first. Thanks to those 2 factors combined (And the final boss just being
Mithos in a goofy looking mech
), I legitimately thought there'd be a little more to the game after that, like a playable epilogue. Or at least the option to explore the world and clear every hanging sidequest ala Paper Mario.

It's the opposite for me. I thought I was at the final boss at least three times before that. Some of which I knew had to be wrong since I was only on disc 1.

Batman Arkham Origins

Came back after a month away, only to fight Joker, and it ended. I was like, "That was super anti-climactic."

I thought it went on surprisingly a little longer. You must have done the final fight and then quit like immediatly after.

After
Capturing the joker the first time, I thought it was over. Then there was a super awesome red hood scene and then you had to go back to Blackgate and fight Bane. Same deal with AC, thought hugo would be the end, thankfully Clayface made the ending much more exciting

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls II. I didn't realize that killing the queen meant the game would instantly end. I never got to kill Vendrick and some of the giants.
Er, you do get the credits but you can still take care of unfinished business, you aren't taken into NG+ automatically... you could have gone back and killed those bosses.

The false ending of Castlevania Order of Eclessia really snuck up on me. At that point it would be obvious to any Castlevania fan how the formula works but the fight
against Albus
came so soon and I didn't think it would end things right there. I was working on saving all the villagers which you need to move on but was missing only two more and I didn't think things were that urgent at that point in the game.

Really? Didn't that game have more dungeons than any other Zelda? At least twice as many as Windwaker.

Oh I missed this. Yeah what can I say, the game was big enough already but multiple people and reviews were telling me the game was gigantic. Gametrailers was extremely hyperbolic saying you could cut off half the game and sell it and it would still be huge and people would never know anything was missing. Other sites had weird quotes like "biggest adventure game ever." I also had some friends who were huge Zelda fans telling me how monstrously gigantic and awesome the game is. Another small thing was GT also played a remixed version of the dark world music from LTTP in their review and they tended to always play music actually from the game in their reviews. When I was at the final dungeon and never heard it I thought I hadn't been everywhere yet.

I didn't expect a whole lot more after what turned out to be the final dungeon but I thought there might still be one or few dungeons left in a small free roam twilight world. A remixed dark world song would have worked for that no? All in all I guess I bought into some hype.

Kolma

Sonic Chronicles...
Yes I know the game sucked but I still enjoyed it for what it was
Collected every single ring in the game except like 2..
Decided "I'll walk into this room first"
Final Boss :|
Never got around to going through the entire game again for those rings.

Fall Out 3

I hadn't played it in about a month. I knew I was far but didn't realize how far. I played one mission and then saw the credits roll. lol oops

Darksiders 2. Was a while since I finished it, but I remember being thoroughly flummoxed after beating the last boss. "That was it?", I recall thinking when the end credits started to roll. Great game, but very abrupt ending.

Fall Out 3

I hadn't played it in about a month. I knew I was far but didn't realize how far. I played one mission and then saw the credits roll. lol oops

This happened to me with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I was at the last boss and having trouble, due to poor choices, but decided to leave it... months passed. I then downloaded the PS+ version, even though I had the disc, thinking it will be handy to have it on the system.

Less than 30 minutes later, the game was over.

Metal Gear Solid 2. I beat it in one sitting because I was sure any minute now this lame Raiden guy was going to get sniped, captured or have a good cry or something and Snake was gonna get tagged back in to save the day and the game would get back on track after veering wildly off the rails after the Tanker ended. I remember thinking "Wait, that's it?!", wondering if I'd missed something in my sleep-deprived state, like this was the "bad ending" and I had somehow missed my cue to finish the game. I remember waking up a few hours later, seeing similar reactions online, and trading the game in the next day (I *never* trade in games) just to be rid of it. I figured I could just replay the Tanker demo that shipped with Zone of the Enders since everything after that felt like a bland, generic training stage for something bigger that never came.

Since I didn't buy a PS3, that was actually the last Metal Gear game I played. Given how off the rails Kojima went after that, I'm not sure I missed out too much.

Maybe it's time to go back and re-play it.

watershed

Banned
This goes way back, but I honestly didn't know I beat Mario Sunshine until the end scene played into the end credits. At the time I couldn't believe the real Bowser wasn't the final boss. I kept thinking "here he comes....any minute now..."

squadr0n

Surprised Fallout 3 (pre broken steel) hasn't been mentioned. This happened to me when I first played it and was so disappointed.

Top Bottom