• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You "Accidentally" Finished.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Infamous.

I was playing the game on and off for close to 2 years ! I found it cool for about 15 minutes but got easily bored after that. I was playing it just because I happened to have it from the PSN outage. And finally around this past easter Kessler was holding my head and literally blowing my mind with all the revelations about the story.

Maybe it was my total indifference during most of the game that made me to be so impressed at the ending.

Javier

This happened to me with The Last Story. After defeating the final boss you can do a couple of extra sidequests to tie some loose ends, but if you go to the wrong place you'll trigger a cutscene that will send you straight to the ending, which is what happened in my first playthrough. Fortunately I had a back up save, but it's easy to lose that stuff since after the credits, you get asked to start a New Game+ and you can save over your previous file.

Transistor - I was sure it was only half way through, I stopped to take a screenshot at how gorgeous it was and then stepped through the door to what I assumed was the rest of the story. Nope. End of Game. I loved that game but I did feel as if I had accidentally finished it.

Golf

Banned
People saying Rage... Did you even pay attention to the story? In the final quest, you were invading the main headquarters of the enemy. There were several quests devoted to preparation for the final battle. How could you not expect the game to end?

PetrCobra

How could you not be sure? The game actually stops you and tells you that it's the last save point before the end. I mean, it should have been obvious anyways since the story was wrapping up and you were in a place that screamed "final area," but the game actually warns you about the last save point. If you were really caught off guard, you just weren't paying any attention at all.

Possible. The game does this at multiple points through the game, when you're about to enter a stage where some sidequests are no longer possible to finish. I probably just assumed this could be another such point and if the phrasing was different I might have not paid enough attention to the text. Of course, it definitely looked like a final area and all, it's just that many times before in some games when I thought I was about to finish them I realized later that I was actually nowhere near the end just yet (as an example, I remember that in Okami this happened to me like three times)

Beefwheat

GoldenEye, way back on the N64. It was my friend's copy and he and I were taking turns at attempting the missions. I felt like it'd be good manners to let him finish his own new game, James Bond fan that he was, but I got lucky on what turned out to be the last mission and suddenly the credits were rolling. He was a bit miffed, I think. I've never felt apologetic for being successful at a video game before...

Skele7on

Banned
Fable 3.

What a dick that was, OHHH HOPE YOU INVESTED IN HOUSES TO SELL OTHERWISE YOU'RE A BAD KING.....

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Definitely felt this with FFXII. I kept waiting for the world map to expand so you could adventure beyond the immediate vicinity of Rabanastre, and we never got it. Still kinda pissed about that, literally every other main line FF game to that point was a globe trotting adventure.

I couldn't believe that Second Son had ended. It is partly that I had left it alone for a while and came back with about fifteen minutes left but also something of the game, that I didn't know already that was the escalation.

Percy

Banned
Vanquish.

Day it came out I bought it and said "I'll try this for an hour to see what it's like.". So I did exactly that and an hour later I was looking at the credits.

I seriously wish I was joking a lot more than I am about this one.

Fable 3 comes to mind. I wish I hadn't. The pacing in the back half had a misleading "countdown" that threw me off and screwed my game.

Totally with you. All of a sudden it's like "Well waddaya know, countdown over and everyone died because you didn't buy enough property to afford everything lol!"

Top Bottom