• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you like but dread playing

NeoGiff

Dark Souls.

I played a few hours of Demon's Souls and I was having a lot of fun... And then when you first get to the tower hub level, I randomly picked the prison stage since it doesn't tell you where to go. I died so many times to those floating guys that can one hit kill you... Got pissed and stopped playing.

Months later I tell my friend this and he says "oh the prison is one of the hardest levels, you shouldn't start with it. And use fire spells on the floating guys, they die instantly."

Granted... I really wanted to play this game WITHOUT a strategy guide or looking on the Internet... But how the fuck was I supposed to know these things? The game doesn't really tell you, and I didn't have the patience to go with trial and error everywhere all the time.

Now I really wanna try Dark Souls since I've heard so much good stuff about it, and I DO like a good challenge. I'm just afraid of living a situation like the prison. It's a shame because I died tons of times without feeling cheated by the game, and was having a blast until that happened... If it's how it works though, maybe this time of game just isn't for me?

The good news is... Dark Souls starts in a prison.

Bydobob

Half Life 2.

Nausea. : /

Exactly the same.

Of recent games Arma 3. It requires such concentration and patience I'm rarely in the right head space for it even though I find it utterly brilliant.

Any driving sim where I've got to set up the wheel, stick and pedals and then put it back in the box because inevitably I'll want to play something else afterwards.

Otherwise I kind of agree with OP regarding competitive online multiplayers. In my case though it's more because I can get so wired playing and lose track of time, then struggle to get to sleep because my brain hasn't switched off. Main reason I'm resisting Quake Live even though Quake 3 is on my all-time list.

La-Mulana has some real motherfucker sections in it (Halls of Illusion, Inferno, Endless Corridor) where progress bottlenecks and either a bossfight, a tricky-ass platforming section, or a brainteaser holds me back. It takes a while.

Sunwell was another good kind, too. Some real sons-of-bitches fights in there; gotta be your best then exceed that.

Dark Souls 2 was the opposite, just because it got so booooooooooooooring outside of a few good zones. Maybe some real obvious UMK3 AI and phantom hurtboxes from the boss to actually be able to hit me. *snoooooooooooze*

Dark Souls.

I played a few hours of Demon's Souls and I was having a lot of fun... And then when you first get to the tower hub level, I randomly picked the prison stage since it doesn't tell you where to go. I died so many times to those floating guys that can one hit kill you... Got pissed and stopped playing.

Months later I tell my friend this and he says "oh the prison is one of the hardest levels, you shouldn't start with it. And use fire spells on the floating guys, they die instantly."

Granted... I really wanted to play this game WITHOUT a strategy guide or looking on the Internet... But how the fuck was I supposed to know these things? The game doesn't really tell you, and I didn't have the patience to go with trial and error everywhere all the time.

Now I really wanna try Dark Souls since I've heard so much good stuff about it, and I DO like a good challenge. I'm just afraid of living a situation like the prison. It's a shame because I died tons of times without feeling cheated by the game, and was having a blast until that happened... If it's how it works though, maybe this time of game just isn't for me?

*diiiiiing* *diiiiiiing*

Damn, I wish to be in your shoes seeing Latria for the first time again.

Superflat

In recent memory, probably X-COM Enemy Unknown. Incredibly stressful over extended battles and base-building. It's a total nightmare but I also enjoyed it greatly.

lordmrw

Rogue Galaxy is the probably the biggest one for me. I liked the game well enough, the world especially and even the combat despite the camera being closer than I would like. But the dungeons were so massive that I began to dread whenever it was time to go explore another one. I ultimately traded it in and agreed to respect it from afar.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Old point and click adventure games I get off GOG.

I love the fact that they're cheap and play great but good god, they're such a slog trying to figure out the puzzles and whatnot, lol.

I usually end up watching 'Let's Play' videos online of them. Specifically 'Realms of the Hanuting', the controls are awful but man, what an awesome game.

Dark Souls for me.

Coming off of completing DeS, DaS was great fun and had me hooked in the beginning. Like most games of this nature, what motivates me to progress and level isn't story or exploration, but a desire to use certain equipment or weapons. In this case I wanted my faith knight build to be able to take big hits and withstand, so I wanted to use the beefiest shield in my inventory which was Havel's I believe. 90 hrs later and after much leveling up I realized there was no way to hit the threshold reasonably in one playthrough, and I was never planning multiple playthroughs, so discouraged I put the game down. This was also around the same time that I got the lordvessel and just had absolutely no idea what to do next.

After some time I picked it up again armed with the wiki and strategy guide found out what to do and I placed the lordvessel to unlock the last 4 bosses. Now I'm at a point where after 90 hrs I just want to be able to say I beat the game, and slowly over the last year and a half, I've mustered back into the game after long periods of down time to beat the Seath and Nito. I feel so close yet so far, and I dread every time I think about the game, or when I boot it back up to play. So far it's the only game I haven't beaten that's ever bothered me for not doing so.

Hastati

Dark Souls. Last time I played it, I was in a constant adrenaline rush for three weeks, unable to break myself from the terror of the world. Kind of like a month long panic attack.

I love the game so much, and it destroys me. My goal is to finish it before I die, I think I'll be in blighttown for the next decade or two.

Miguel81

Dark Souls

I love the world and the bits and pieces of lore. Also, there's nothing better than back-stabbing an enemy. The atmosphere is unmatched and I do get some King's Field flavor out of the experience, but it can really fuck up a good mood. Some of the bosses are painfully difficult, and sections in Anor Londo will make you rage(if you're that type of person). I've done one run and a bit of New Game+ -- am waiting for Steamworks patch, but I dread going back after not playing it for half a year.

Zombie U

I've had my first death so it isn't so bad now, but just the thought of having my main character die and losing them forever made me very nervous. Now I don't feel so bad, but every time I play I still play standing. They give their randomly generated lives for me, the least I can do is take it seriously.

Zombie U

I've had my first death so it isn't so bad now, but just the thought of having my main character die and losing them forever made me very nervous. Now I don't feel so bad, but every time I play I still play standing. They give their randomly generated lives for me, the least I can do is take it seriously.

I actually came to post this, but in hard mode. I hated loading the game up knowing that my save data would be wiped if I died, which made me feel even worse than it's already tense atmosphere did.

Xander51

Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Great game, but the 3DS cramps my hands something fierce (even the XL!), and that game in particular makes it flare up especially bad. I dread the pain, despite looking forward to the silly dialog and interesting plot developments.

The game is really only non-painful on a standard 3DS with that goofy stand.

Jerrod

Max Payne 1 and 3. 1's dream sequences are horrible and the action gets repetitive a lot. 3's god damn loading times.

gerudoman

I love survival horrors, but most of them would fit in this category. Specially any Silent Hill game and its clunky combat system and awkward controls, but the superb atmosphere and narrative make up for everything.

Syntsui

Dragon Age, that dream world section, dwarfes dungeon and mage's tower section were AWFUL.

I refuse to play the game again because of those sections.

dr labson

Neo Member
Any game that's really good. Like Persona 3/4 or Demon's/Dark Souls for example.
It's great to play them. But you really lose track of time.
Then I end up feeling like I didn't have nearly as much free time as I had.

Top Bottom