• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you really wish you could enjoy but don't

bjork

Red Dead Redemption.

I'm always hearing how much people enjoy the game, or how amazing it is. Yet when I play it, it's the most boring game I've ever experienced. I literally feel like I have to force myself to play through it and at that point it's not even fun.

You know what? I think I want to change mine to this, too. I played about two hours or so and I'm learning how to rope dudes and ride horses or whatever, but every time I need to go somewhere, it feels like getting up to go to work. I can see how it's well-made and my dad was nice enough to spoil all the story bits as he played through it, but I just don't have it in me to endure the overworld traversal.

LiK

Persona 4.

Loved the characters, the story, just doing random stuff around town, the general style and atmosphere...everything except the actual dungeon crawling, which was such a tedious experience that I ended up not beating the game.

Persona 5 looks to be shaping up the same way. *sigh*

You should revisit with Golden version and play on Very Easy. Nirvana.

Timeaisis

Why did you beat it if you didn't enjoy it? Surely, you got some sort of enjoyment out of that play through?

Well, I enjoyed parts of it. Like, maybe, 40% of it. So I kept playing, thinking eventually it would "click" with me and I'd start loving it. That never happened.

EhoaVash

Mass effect ( the story really sucks imo but I hear the relation ships are great ))
Last of us ( I suck at aiming in the game/ I get lost easily )
Metroid prime ( motion sick)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You should revisit with Golden version and play on Very Easy. Nirvana.

This is what I plan on doing after dropping the game twice. I've already watched GB endurance run so I know what's up but I couldn't care less about personas and dungeon crawling. I feel like I would like the game a lot more as a VN.

Why did you beat it if you didn't enjoy it? Surely, you got some sort of enjoyment out of that play through?

People force themselves to finish game just so they can see what the big deal was about. It's not always about fun. It's about playing until you start getting it. Sometimes it just doesn't click though.

Auctopus

Well, I enjoyed parts of it. Like, maybe, 40% of it. So I kept playing, thinking eventually it would "click" with me and I'd start loving it. That never happened.

Fair enough. One of the Souls communities most frequent arguments is "just wait, it'll click", haha. There are some aspects of the game that are very monotonous but I suppose the 'click' moment is when you appreciate those tedious segments because of what the add up to or lead to.

Pilgrimzero

The Evil Within.

It's really just so bad and I wanted to like it.

Also, Dark Souls. Played it for 30 min, didn't grab me.

SRPGs. I continue playing them in the hopes that one day something clicks, but so far I'm just absolutely terrible at the genre as a whole, and I never get better. Even with easy ones

A Nick

Neo Member
Lighting Returns. Can't get into the game. It doesn't appeal to me the same way FFXIII did.

Monster Hunter and its various clones. I tried Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice and I just got so bored with the gameplay I stopped after several hours. I like the premise of the games and I want to enjoy them but the combat just feels so repetitive to me.
I cannot play the clones. I've only tried Soul Sacrifice, God Eater, and Lord of Arcana and watched gameplays of Freedom Wars and Toukiden. Cannot get into those. It does not feel the same as Monster Hunter.

Same. I play a little bit of MH4U everyday but it's just not happening for me so far.
Maybe play w a fellow gaffer? Add me
(don't know my friend code atm - at work)
? Sometimes you need another person to play to really see the enjoyment. The reason I love the game is bc of the fact you have to constantly farm/hunt monsters to gather materials to make better weapons and armor. The game is pretty in depth. The fighting feels slow but I like it bc it takes away the noob spam hack and slash.

marrec

Banned
Sooooouuuulllllssss.

I've tried twice and while DS2 was more enjoyable it was still kind of boring for the most part.

But, I'll try again with Bloodborne. Because I hate having $60 apparently.

D-VoN

Anything by Rockstar. Red Dead, GTA, etc.. Just not really into sandbox games I guess, though I love Skyrim (I guess it's the lack of RPG elements).

Aizo

Banned
Persona 3 and 4. I'm near the end in 3, but I haven't enjoyed my experience very much. In fact, I absolutely loathe tartarus. I restarted the game after about 25 hours to play on easy with a level 99 character, because otherwise, I was never playing the game again. I just run through the dungeons and focus on the story and social links. Even so, the story isn't very good so far...

Also, dungeon crawlers in general. I just don't get the appeal. I suppose for someone who likes character development and story a lot, the genre doesn't offer much for me.

baterism

Dota and co.

Seeing all my irl friends playing it and talking about it make me wish I can enjoy it too. I have tried the tutorial, but it just... confusing.

Kas

Metal Gear Solid. I've tried MGS2, didn't like it. Tried 3, didn't like it. Tried Ground Zeros, and didn't like it. I do like the look of TOP though.

Also, RDR. I played it on the PS3 and the Dualshock 3 just made it feel like I was controlling a tank.

impact

Banned
Technically, I suppose not but the combat was similar. I dislike constantly attacking a monster/demon and then wonder if I'm even doing damage to it. It just feels very unsatisfying unlike say, a souls game.

Combat in SS is pretty much nothing like Monster Hunter at all. It's the least like MH of all the hunting games

and it's a much worse game for it.

Persona 4. I love the Persona series, and enjoyed most of Persona 3, but by the end of 3, I really disliked the social links and had to push myself to finish it. Persona 4 has the social links again, plus it made changes to the dungeon exploring that I don't like.

Compsiox

Banned
League of Legends. I played it for two weeks and loved it. After that I couldn't play for more than 10 seconds. Every once in a while I go back but I just can't get back into it.

I wish I could enjoy it like I did in the first 2 weeks.

lt519

TLoU, just don't like gameplay but I really want to so I can experience the story. Made it half way and got sick of it.

AerialAir

Banned
Animal Crossing

Got it day one, and was really looking forward to it, and in paper it really sounds awesome, but I just can't get into it.

mstevens

Dragon Age. I think it'll be the first game I sell / trade in 2 years.

I also really wish I could get into fighting games. Might pick up SF5 when it comes up and finally give them a real try.

Also wish I could get into online Starcraft.

Giran

The Last Remnant
Rogue Galaxy

Both these games have some cool ideas, really nice visuals, excellent music and a great setting but the game mechanics are just arse and in RG's case so is the level design.

Dark Souls. It's just too damn frustrating. Maybe if there was a way to save right before bosses so I wouldn't lose so much time fighting through the same crap enemies only to die instantly.

dogflaps

Banned
FIFA.

Hanging out with a group of friends and one person suggests a FIFA tourney... Que me sitting, playing on my phone for 2 hours. Can't stand the game, it's just so boring.

gelf

Many here will hate me for this but the Zelda series and Mario platformers.

With Zelda I've played a few entries to completion and there's only Wind Waker that really left an impression on me and that was more for the art direction then anything to do with the gameplay. I can see they are good games, mechanically their great but they don't grab me and I don't feel I'm enjoying playing them as much I as should and I don't know why. Similarly although I love many platformers and can see they're good games I just can't summon much enthusiasm for Mario either in 2D or 3D.

I'm sorry Nintendo, please forgive me, I thought N64 Paper Mario was awesome at least.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
The souls series. The slow methodical combat combined with harsh difficulty just doesn't vibe with how I play and enjoy games. It's a shame since the whole setting and graphical style seems awesome

Mupod

For those saying DOTA maybe try and get your friends into HOTS. I've played more than my share of DOTA in WC3 but after it started becoming tryhard esports bullshit I lost interest. My friends kept playing though, and I like playing games with them, so I'd join and end up miserable because I felt like I was dragging everyone down. I just do NOT care about memorizing what fucking obscure item combination or whatever I'm supposed to be building towards.

HOTS on the other hand does a good job encapsulating the team-fight gameplay without being obnoxious. You still gotta do objectives and use teamwork though. Obviously if your friends are the kind of people who shit on LoL players on forums because they think last hitting is the most important mechanic in the universe then it won't appeal to them. But it's worth a try.

Also, should go without saying but if you don't have people to play that genre with, there's no reason to play it. At all.

Anyways, I love horror games but I can't get into the 'run from everything because you are literally a helpless baby' subgenre. I'd like this fad to pass and maybe see some indie devs start trying to make a survival horror title in the vein of an older RE game.

Also just remembered Nanashi no Game. It's a brilliant premise, about a 'haunted' DS game in the style of a slightly 'off' 8-bit RPG. It even has like fake DS menus and shit. Problem is the actual game outside of the fake RPG is unplayable, the controls are utter insanity.

Truant

GTA games.

Something about the game having to sci-fi or fantasy elements makes it hard for me to enjoy the story. I'm not like that with films, just games.

PBalfredo

Ni No Kuni.

Ghibli + JRPG is right my wheelhouse, but a combat system that combines the worst parts of turn based menus and awkward real time combat plus horrible partner AI just kills the experience.

geordiemp

Same here, but for some reason I'm still hyped for Bloodborne.
:(

Never played a sous game, was put off by the coop hoops you have to jump through. Just want to play coop with 2 x Ps4 damn it.

Will Bloodborne have easier coop ?

Back on topic GTA 5 - played half the game, just don't feel it. Need to push myself to go back.

Fuchsdh

I second Uncharted. Played through Uncharted 2 and it left me cold, even as I understood why other people loved it. I think it was a combination of the platforming not quite ever feeling fluid for me, combined with the often-mentioned quirks of the story.

I think I had more fun in the multiplayer because it felt like a different game there.

The Etrian Odyssey games. I caught the Quick Look for IV and it looked so up my alley, the fully custom characters, the mapping, THE MUSIC OH THE MUSIC.

But I just cannot get in to it. Don't even know what the barrier is, it just never clicks with me, and it makes me so sad.

Top Bottom