• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Repost from the other thread.

The game was on NES, you were a spaceship, flying left to right and vice versa. Each level had a tube on the far end, you could either go up or down. Other than that, it was a pretty basic shmup, but my older brother and I have been arguing over the name of the game for 15+ years. I swear it stats with a Z or an X, but I have looked at NES full set lists, and none of those are it. Pretty vague, but figured, who better to ask than GAF.

Duckroll mentioned Thexder(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwVBuo4lms), almost thought that was it, until I realized there were no tubes at the end of the levels. They were like glass tubes you flew up or down.

Karl007

Banned
I remember a game on Apple MAC computers we had back in primary school.

It was a Paper Plane flying game, where you direct this little plane around a house and you needed to hover around air vents on the floor to stay up in the air. It was great but everyone hogged the new shiny computers back then and I only played it a few times.

Wish I knew what it was called. :(

mclem

Karl007 said:
I remember a game on Apple MAC computers we had back in primary school.

It was a Paper Plane flying game, where you direct this little plane around a house and you needed to hover around air vents on the floor to stay up in the air. It was great but everyone hogged the new shiny computers back then and I only played it a few times.

Wish I knew what it was called. :(

Glider.

The_Reckoning said:
Repost from the other thread.

The game was on NES, you were a spaceship, flying left to right and vice versa. Each level had a tube on the far end, you could either go up or down. Other than that, it was a pretty basic shmup, but my older brother and I have been arguing over the name of the game for 15+ years. I swear it stats with a Z or an X, but I have looked at NES full set lists, and none of those are it. Pretty vague, but figured, who better to ask than GAF.

Duckroll mentioned Thexder(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwVBuo4lms), almost thought that was it, until I realized there were no tubes at the end of the levels. They were like glass tubes you flew up or down.

Sounds a lot like Section Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAk-...60E79F3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=111

mclem

Spayro said:
It isn't Jazz Jackrabbit, I just played it some time ago. It's a beat-em-up, I believe, not a shooter.

Did you not catch my suggestion of Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo?

Fuzyfrog

Ok ive got one.

Ive asked heaps of people even numerous Apple employees around work.

It was an old mac game i have on my mac classic.

Black and White side scroller where you were a warlock or wizard or something.
You could be above ground or below ground
I dont remember a heck of alot more but i just have this picture of it stuck in my head.

Not Dark Castle....

Karl007

Banned
mclem said:

OMG thats it!
I wanted to play this game back in 1997 when i was in primary school but never had the chance then forgot the name. But now I have a second chance since my brother has a MAC :D

Is it possible to play this on Windows anyhow? emulator?

Okay, there's a game for (I think) the Sega Genesis, but my memory of it is incredibly cloudy and probably mostly incorrect. What I remember was a black & white environment, and you had to find a colored key in order to open a door to advance. Yep, that's all I can remember, but it's bugged the crap out of me for years!

mclem

Karl007 said:
OMG thats it!
I wanted to play this game back in 1997 when i was in primary school but never had the chance then forgot the name. But now I have a second chance since my brother has a MAC :D

Is it possible to play this on Windows anyhow? emulator?

I've a nagging feeling I recall hearing about a windows port of the most recent iteration. As for emulators, I've not tried it for Glider, but Basilisk has generally been pretty robust for me in the past.

Edit: Just poked around a bit and found http://www.ridiculopathy.com/crappy_flash_games.php?gamename=glider which appears to also have the blessing of the original author.

Edit2: And looking at the original author's site would have been smart of me, wouldn't it? http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/Glider PRO.html is it, and it includes download links for both 4.0 and PRO... and with a Windows link for 4.0.

Delerat

Neo Member
Reno7728 said:
I'd like some help to find what i'm sure was an incredibly obscure pc game from back in the day.

it was a 3rd person adventure game that started off in space - but then the main character somehow ended up on some weird planet.

i remember that the main character had hands but no limbs and was a strange colour (i think purple)
thanks for any help in advance!
Sounds like Rayman to me.

Two games I'm trying to figure out the names for.

1. Pretty sure it was shareware. Platformer hack 'n' slash. You played a girl who could turn into a wolf. Might have needed to collect little balls for energy to turn into the wolf.

2. You start off buying yourself a hologram to conduct business with. The game had some bad voice recognition that could be used to move from screen to screen. I just remember you had to run a company with your hologram and the first part you'd check your email and if you opened up this one letter it's a virus that will destroy your company. You have to play pong against it and if you lose then you lose the game, I never one since the computer player seemed so good.

EDIT: Both games are on PC

BluWacky

Captain Knutsman said:
Im searching for a game which had you play a space marine fighting aliens (duh)

The game was viewed top down, and probably played in dos. The marine could be moved around the screen (no scrolling), shooting at a slight angle of the direction he was moving, and he was able to collect different weapons.

There were a sequel, and in this edition there definetely was levels, and stationary turrets to mount. Furthermore scrolling was present in this edition.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Sounds like the Alien Breed series to me?

Doubledex

Banned
A game on the C64. You were riding on ONE wheel ("one-wheeler"). From left to right and you had to jump over small lakes, stones etc.
Hm... don't know the name of it...

mclem

Doubledex said:
A game on the C64. You were riding on ONE wheel ("one-wheeler"). From left to right and you had to jump over small lakes, stones etc.
Hm... don't know the name of it...

B.C's Quest For Tires?

gragy10

Megadrive/Genesis Japan only game. Single screen 1-2 player platformer, with little crocodile/dragon sprites running around with hammers knocking holes in the floor, enemy falls in, hit with hammer again etc (you know the gameplay mechanic). Ultra garish cartonn gfx style (Parodius-ish palette). From about 93-94 i think, and reviewed favourably by Sega Pro in the UK.
ANy suggestions much appreciated!

Nakiro

cmonmanreally said:
nice thread.

when i first bought my playstation it came with a disc with a bunch of game demos on it. there was one in particular that i vaguely remember playing where there was a stage in the shape of a cube, with a glowy-starry thing in the middle that up to for players had to compete with one another to get. a player could move to a corner of the cube, kick the wall, and the entire room would rotate in one direction, messing other players up. also i vaguely remember that there was a timer, and if you didnt do something before the time ran out, your character would catch on fire. also, there was a female voice over counting off the time limit. oh yeah and the characters looked like they wore dirt bike helmets (i think)
Oh yeah, Blast Chamber.

BeeDog

I have a very vague memory of a NES adventure/horror game, please bear with me if I remember everything incorrect :lol :

It was one of those first-person adventure games where you traverse screen by screen or some shit. I think I remember a place in the game where you had to have a candle in your inventory to pass through a dark area, but if you didn't have it, you would stumble in the darkness and die, and you'd be greeted by a screen of Death/The Reaper/something. As said, my memory of this game is extremely vague, and wouldn't be too surprised if it's just a mindplay.

trinest

BeeDog said:
I have a very vague memory of a NES adventure/horror game, please bear with me if I remember everything incorrect :lol :

It was one of those first-person adventure games where you traverse screen by screen or some shit. I think I remember a place in the game where you had to have a candle in your inventory to pass through a dark area, but if you didn't have it, you would stumble in the darkness and die, and you'd be greeted by a screen of Death/The Reaper/something. As said, my memory of this game is extremely vague, and wouldn't be too surprised if it's just a mindplay.
Shadowgate?

dazzgc

Banned
Ok if anyone can guess this game for me id be very grateful.
I only have vague memories of it but here goes its an arcade game late 80's to early 90's i think. It's a platformer with an oriental theme/setting not a side scrooler but you progress horizontally, one key thing i remember is some enemies being pigs with pitch forks.

Vagabundo

Platform: Speccy/possibly C64 too
Demo release on a cover tape on Your Sinclair

It is a side scroller beat-em up with puzzles - scratch the scroller (maybe), it could have been flipscreen. You start as a prisoner on an island in a cell. The grafx on the sinclair were chunky - black with a yellow background - with good animation and a good sized main character. There were prison guards wandering around too.

Not sure how you escaped the cell, but I think you used items. It was a great game for that era, polished, could have been made by Ocean or one of the top flight devs at the time.

Anyone remember???

mclem

Vagabundo said:
Platform: Speccy/possibly C64 too
Demo release on a cover tape on Your Sinclair

It is a side scroller beat-em up with puzzles - scratch the scroller (maybe), it could have been flipscreen. You start as a prisoner on an island in a cell. The grafx on the sinclair were chunky - black with a yellow background - with good animation and a good sized main character. There were prison guards wandering around too.

Not sure how you escaped the cell, but I think you used items. It was a great game for that era, polished, could have been made by Ocean or one of the top flight devs at the time.

Anyone remember???

Dustin?

If you guys could help out with mine I'd be so damn greatfull, have been looking for years.

Platform: DOS/Windows 3.1

game came on floppy's. Very stylized look, Black and dark purple. 2D side scroller were you are always in the middle. you played a a knight you walk in the foreground and there are black dead trees on you plain and in the background there is a castle i think.

you can move either right or left and your character and the enemies are Shadow puppet like, solid black in colour.

any ideas? no idea what the goal of the game was but it's stuck in my mind because of the way it looked.

Mash

I used to play this game on DOS but I don't remember much. It was first person, I remember the guy had a glove weapon on that looked a bit like Lion-o's claw glove thing and I just remember this one part (probably was near the beginning) where there were a row of wood looking cabins with monsters attacking you that looked like a bit like Sabretooth form the X-Men.

I've been trying to find out what game this was for years now.

Liam92

Banned
If you guys can help me with this I will cry tears of pure tungsten. From what I remember, you controller a small boy with black hair, red dungarees and a yellow shirt. I specifically remember that an Umbrella was a big gameplay mechanic.

It came in one of those big old fashioned boxes that PC games used to come in, with a big picture of the main character in the center; think it was for the Atari or something like that.

Might have been produced by... Ocean... maybe?

EDIT: I remember the background in the one of the levels was a forest.

Liam92 said:
If you guys can help me with this I will cry tears of pure tungsten. From what I remember, you controller a small boy with black hair, red dungarees and a yellow shirt. I specifically remember that an Umbrella was a big gameplay mechanic.

It came in one of those big old fashioned boxes that PC games used to come in, with a big picture of the main character in the center; think it was for the Atari or something like that.

Parasol Stars?

mclem

Liam92 said:

It's not Parasol Stars, is it? I believe some versions of that may have been produced by Ocean.

Edit: Bah, beaten.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
electristan said:
If you guys could help out with mine I'd be so damn greatfull, have been looking for years.

Platform: DOS/Windows 3.1

game came on floppy's. Very stylized look, Black and dark purple. 2D side scroller were you are always in the middle. you played a a knight you walk in the foreground and there are black dead trees on you plain and in the background there is a castle i think.

you can move either right or left and your character and the enemies are Shadow puppet like, solid black in colour.

any ideas? no idea what the goal of the game was but it's stuck in my mind because of the way it looked.
Blade Warrior?
Amiga version below but there was a dos version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIKO8uG6lo

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It was an action game with a top down perspective, I remember it was using pretty dark enviromnents, possibly post apocalyptic, you were one guy fighting against a shitload of robots, I remember green lasers flying around everywhere.

We only had the demo and when you installed it there was some advertisement for Spawn, that's all I can remember really :\

izakq

This one has been bugging me for the longest time.

Arcade game that was a side scrolling shooter. You can control an airplane that can transform into a robot just like the ones in Robotech/Macross. First part took place on land, then goes over the ocean, and then into space, with no breaks in between the stages.

That's all I can remember.

bigcheese

Okay, I've been looking for this game for a long time--I remember playing it a lot as a kid, and I want to see if it's actually good, but I can't remember the name of it. Here's what I remember about it:
  • It was a SNES game. I know that for sure.
  • fantasy setting
  • It had a camera view that was like an RPG or Zelda game. I would say the game was pretty much a Zelda clone, if I remember correctly.
  • I remember a major gameplay mechanic being the use of a fireball, or maybe that's just the weapon I used most of the time. But the fireball would be attached to your character, and then you could shoot it at the enemies, and it would bounce back.

bigcheese said:
Okay, I've been looking for this game for a long time--I remember playing it a lot as a kid, and I want to see if it's actually good, but I can't remember the name of it. Here's what I remember about it:
  • It was a SNES game. I know that for sure.
  • fantasy setting
  • It had a camera view that was like an RPG or Zelda game. I would say the game was pretty much a Zelda clone, if I remember correctly.
  • I remember a major gameplay mechanic being the use of a fireball, or maybe that's just the weapon I used most of the time. But the fireball would be attached to your character, and then you could shoot it at the enemies, and it would bounce back.

Could it be part of the Terranigma series like Soul Blazer?

soul_blazer.gif

As for my game question:

American arcade game. Mid/late 90s. It was a tank combat game that was (I think) published by Atari. It had a system link for 4+ players. 3D tanks, but AFAIK, the tanks weren't wireframe, but 2D sprites. You could pick about 4-6 different types of tanks, each with special abilities and different speed/armor/damage ratings. Most of the combat were done in darkly lit arenas. Awesomely fun game.

*Edit* answered my own question: T-Mek. Fantastic game.

mclem

izakq said:

Arcade game that was a side scrolling shooter. You can control an airplane that can transform into a robot just like the ones in Robotech/Macross. First part took place on land, then goes over the ocean, and then into space, with no breaks in between the stages.

Mag Max?

Fuzyfrog said:
Ok ive got one.

Ive asked heaps of people even numerous Apple employees around work.

It was an old mac game i have on my mac classic.

Black and White side scroller where you were a warlock or wizard or something.
You could be above ground or below ground
I dont remember a heck of alot more but i just have this picture of it stuck in my head.

Not Dark Castle....

It was called Warlock. Check out this link and let the animation load.
http://www.d4.dion.ne.jp/~motohiko/warlock.htm

dazzgc said:
Ok if anyone can guess this game for me id be very grateful.
I only have vague memories of it but here goes its an arcade game late 80's to early 90's i think. It's a platformer with an oriental theme/setting not a side scrooler but you progress horizontally, one key thing i remember is some enemies being pigs with pitch forks.

Sounds like China Gate to me... pretty neat little beat-em-up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOyCQiWEPw

izakq said:

I've had a look and found Formation Z

this isn't the arcade version but seems to fit your description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX3Y9JFt-n4

Top Bottom