• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

HamCheese

Neo Member
growing up I borrowed a NES game from my friend, he told me it was an awesome game which i HAD to play. Since this game was passed on a few times, nobody knew what it was as the cover was changed to a 64-in-1 cover

spd_20121110153901_b.JPG

and guess what...the title was in Chinese (i'm assuming)

Jackie%20Chan%20(J).png

i played the shit out of this game and was thrilled when finally completed it, yet i never knew what it was. Only a few years later i finally found out that it was Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu

Jackie%20Chan's%20Action%20Kung%20Fu%20(U).png

^_^

The bit that's intriguing me is the fact that there's at least some semblance of a storyline. Most such games are basically just a sequence of platforming challenges (Nightshade is a bit more isometric-shmuppy, really). M.O.V.I.E. is a bit deeper but doesn't really fit the plot as outlined here, and nor does Where Time Stood Still.

And yet... something about this does feel familiar. Grrr.

Yeah, and I was pretty much convinced it was A View to a Kill when I saw the sketch.

Infiltrator and one of the Spy vs Spy games also come to mind, but as you mentioned, there's really not much of a storyline apart from the basic action-y goal.

The bit that's intriguing me is the fact that there's at least some semblance of a storyline. Most such games are basically just a sequence of platforming challenges (Nightshade is a bit more isometric-shmuppy, really). M.O.V.I.E. is a bit deeper but doesn't really fit the plot as outlined here, and nor does Where Time Stood Still.

And yet... something about this does feel familiar. Grrr.

I'm sorry I can't give any more details. I never got passed the start which was literally just escaping your on fire house! And it has to have been the start else I'm sure I'd have remembered more of it.

mclem

Honestly I don't remember, but I'd imagine it was arrow keys and spacebar.

Actually, I was thinking more about whether there were more involved interactions than fire being 'do stuff' of some description. Something like, say, Windowmation:

CcF16Py.gif

...but if you don't remember, you don't remember.

I've got something vaguely in mind of being structured kind of akin to System 3's isometric arcade adventures; Vendetta and the The Last Ninja trilogy. None of those quite seem to fit the description, but that's the rough mental image I've got of the game you're detailing.

andreyin

Neo Member
Alright, I hope you people can figure this one out - I've been searching for this game for the past decade with no luck.

It was a Windows/DOS game that came in a floppy disk. The name of the game had something to do with a black knight, and the story was about a group (I think it was a group) of time travelers or something. The game was actually a series it seemed, since it was labeled something like "episode 1" on the floppy.

The game itself was impossible. You started in a castle and played as a dude, I think he had a leather jacket and jeans. It played a little like Flashback (I think) and at the beggining you could only go right and do a weird jump. Problem is, the black knight showed up pretty quickly and killed you, no matter what you did. I never got past this part, so I'm trying to search for this game so I can find out how it was meant to be played.

Tenebrous

I'm trying to think of the name of a PS1 (might've been N64) game I used to play co-op with a friend of mine.

It was vehicle focused multiplayer with weapon pickups in what I seem to remember being a pretty open to explore map. It definitely wasn't Future Cop LAPD, although that game is AAAmazing.

Niahak

I'm trying to think of the name of a PS1 (might've been N64) game I used to play co-op with a friend of mine.

It was vehicle focused multiplayer with weapon pickups in what I seem to remember being a pretty open to explore map. It definitely wasn't Future Cop LAPD, although that game is AAAmazing.

I'm guessing it wasn't Twisted Metal 2, but was it similar? Could it have been Vigilante 8 or Rogue Trip?

Rogue Trip had an interesting tourist system which functioned sort of as a mobile capture-the-flag mechanic, and some pretty open maps compared to some similar games. I could see that being it from your description.

mclem

Alright, I hope you people can figure this one out - I've been searching for this game for the past decade with no luck.

It was a Windows/DOS game that came in a floppy disk. The name of the game had something to do with a black knight, and the story was about a group (I think it was a group) of time travelers or something. The game was actually a series it seemed, since it was labeled something like "episode 1" on the floppy.

That sounds like shareware distribution to me.

Tenebrous

I'm guessing it wasn't Twisted Metal 2, but was it similar? Could it have been Vigilante 8 or Rogue Trip?

Rogue Trip had an interesting tourist system which functioned sort of as a mobile capture-the-flag mechanic, and some pretty open maps compared to some similar games. I could see that being it from your description.

It's definitely not Rogue Trip or Twisted Metal 2, but it could very well have been Vigilante 8! I'm not seeing the pickups I remember, but the UI elements are incredibly familiar.

Cheers.

The game itself was impossible. You started in a castle and played as a dude, I think he had a leather jacket and jeans. It played a little like Flashback (I think) and at the beggining you could only go right and do a weird jump. Problem is, the black knight showed up pretty quickly and killed you, no matter what you did. I never got past this part, so I'm trying to search for this game so I can find out how it was meant to be played.

Sounds a lot like Time Runners. It's an Italian episodic series for the Amiga, developed by Simulmondo, I think it was released on PC as well. There are actually 30 episodes in total, crazy stuff. Simulmondo kinda specialized in those cinematic platformer adventures with point & click sections, made lots of Dylan Dog games as well, but they were always very clunky and difficult for the wrong reasons.

Sounds a lot like Time Runners. It's an Italian episodic series for the Amiga, developed by Simulmondo, I think it was released on PC as well. There are actually 30 episodes in total, crazy stuff. Simulmondo kinda specialized in those cinematic platformer adventures with point & click sections, made lots of Dylan Dog games as well, but they were always very clunky and difficult for the wrong reasons.

Beat me to it! I have fond memories of trying to play through that beast!

Actually, I was thinking more about whether there were more involved interactions than fire being 'do stuff' of some description. Something like, say, Windowmation:

CcF16Py.gif

...but if you don't remember, you don't remember.

I've got something vaguely in mind of being structured kind of akin to System 3's isometric arcade adventures; Vendetta and the The Last Ninja trilogy. None of those quite seem to fit the description, but that's the rough mental image I've got of the game you're detailing.

Erm... yeah I don't remember anything like that. Mind you, that might be why I got stuck, because I didn't know how to play the game haha!

Also, the game definitely wasn't colour.

This is..it? Maybe. I've been looking at this game for a while trying to decide and the bricks are the right ones which makes me think this is it. They're pretty distinctive. However there a number of things that just dont seem right. I remember the game I'm thinking of looking much more modern. The ui, backgrounds and power ups don't look right (old/low res) and I remember there being a level editor. The boxed edition had a limited gamestop exclusive print which reduces the chance of it being the right one. I remember the box being yellow/orange but frustratingly enough I can't find a picture of the it anywhere on the internet.

So taking these things into account I checked for an ultimate or special edition, which I couldn't find, as well as checking all of the successors but they all use different bricks.

Added this to my op. These are some of the right bricks.
dx-ball-2-5.jpg

I know this is late and I don't know if you've found it yet, but I believe you are talking about Blast Thru?
blast-thru.jpg

If not sorry for replying to an old post for nothing lol

Anybody knows what this game is?
TIejRpz.jpg

Kung-Fu I think.

kung-fu-japan-usa.png

I got one of my own. I can't find a screenshot. But I remember as a kid watching my babysitter play this game that looked cool. I think it was for Genesis or NES. All I remember is a cutscene where a werewolf (i think the main character) was climbing up the side of a building with a awesome skyline behind him. It definitely wasn't Altered Beast.

FerranMG

Kung-Fu I think.

It really looks like a game I had on my Atari ST with the word 'Karate' somewhere in the title, but I can't think of it and looking at software on Wikipedia is drawing a blank.

EDIT - nope, he's right. Definitely Kung-Fu:

Thanks for the replies!
I think I might have been actually looking for this Atari game with "Karate" in the title that Triggerhappytel mentions.
Will try to give it a spin in Google.

edit: nope, Atari and Karate don't bring up the game I have in mind.

It was a game I used to play in some neighbour's old computer.
I remember a guy in some sort of white clothes that knew martial arts of some sort, and that went through several rooms in a kind of palace.
You could go to the rooms at your right or left side, but also above and below.
You could jump, and I think you could also throw ninja stars.
Very limited colors in the version I remember.

Any clue?

Thanks for the replies!
I think I might have been actually looking for this Atari game with "Karate" in the title that Triggerhappytel mentions.

Might be International Karate or IK+.

I got one of my own. I can't find a screenshot. But I remember as a kid watching my babysitter play this game that looked cool. I think it was for Genesis or NES. All I remember is a cutscene where a werewolf (i think the main character) was climbing up the side of a building with a awesome skyline behind him. It definitely wasn't Altered Beast.

Sounds like Werewolf: The Last Warrior.

eso76

Thanks for the replies!

edit: nope, Atari and Karate don't bring up the game I have in mind.

I remember a guy in some sort of white clothes that knew martial arts of some sort, and that went through several rooms in a kind of palace.

Any clue?

KarateKA ? you wouldn't throw ninja stars though.

mclem

Karateka?

FerranMG

Welp, it seems I wasn't spot on with the Karate thing, but searching for "Old computer ninja" did the trick. :)

It's this game.

I'm surprised my description was very accurate, except for the Karate thing. :p

Thanks, guys.

kris.

Banned
Oh good, this thread got bumped! I was thinking about this game I had when I was little but can't remember the name. It was for the OG Xbox, and from what I remember, you're a sorcerer with different spells. Each spell is color-coded and attunes to an element. I think. This was a long time ago. It's got a kinda top-down camera angle and you start out in a forest? I hated this game, but it's bugging the shit out of me that I can't remember the name.

Oh good, this thread got bumped! I was thinking about this game I had when I was little but can't remember the name. It was for the OG Xbox, and from what I remember, you're a sorcerer with different spells. Each spell is color-coded and attunes to an element. I think. This was a long time ago. It's got a kinda top-down camera angle and you start out in a forest? I hated this game, but it's bugging the shit out of me that I can't remember the name.

Maybe Nightcaster? Never owned an OG Xbox so I'm not really familiar with its library. Man, the Xbox being a long time ago makes me feel old. :)

Hey fellow travelers on the cyber highway, hopefully you can help me out. When I was young I had an old computer (can't remember if it was DOS or some Texas Instruments thing) but it had a Pac Man-style game where you collect keys to unlock a door in the center of the stage or something. I loved it passionately and it's eluded me for YEARS. WHAT IS THIS GAME???

Does anyone remember a game that came with Hewlett Packard PC/Windows 95 and it was a sci-fi game and you're in the desert, military facility, and there are robots, and it was kinda like an adventure game. Main character looked like Deus Ex guy with sunglasses.

Anyone?

Hey fellow travelers on the cyber highway, hopefully you can help me out. When I was young I had an old computer (can't remember if it was DOS or some Texas Instruments thing) but it had a Pac Man-style game where you collect keys to unlock a door in the center of the stage or something. I loved it passionately and it's eluded me for YEARS. WHAT IS THIS GAME???

Chip's Challenge?
Chip's_Challenge.png

Could also be ZZT (I've never played it, but it sounds similar)
20090610_dosbox_073_zzt_3.png

Jawmuncher

I'm remembering a RTSfrom awhile back "for sure from the 90s". It was Aliens vs Basically the US Army. The graphics were kind of similar to gene war. There was also FMV at th beginning of the game when you picked which side you wanted to play. I know if you picked the alien he would grab the human by the face and push him away. I think it might be another unlisted eidos game looking at the Wikipedia.

I'm remembering a RTSfrom awhile back "for sure from the 90s". It was Aliens vs Basically the US Army. The graphics were kind of similar to gene war. There was also FMV at th beginning of the game when you picked which side you wanted to play. I know if you picked the alien he would grab the human by the face and push him away. I think it might be another unlisted eidos game looking at the Wikipedia.

That would be Conquest Earth. I think I played a demo back in the day.

OK, let's see if someone can help me with this one, been trying for several years now and can't find it.

It was a game with platforms where you were some kind of an egg (no legs or arms, it's not any of the Dizzy games), it could jumb between platforms, it would break if you fell down from too high, it add some kind of portals in some areas and passwords for different levels. It was around 1986 or 1987, I believe it was on PC because I remember writing down the passwords on the cardboard box where the PC monitor came in.

Here is a rough paint sketch...

OK, let's see if someone can help me with this one, been trying for several years now and can't find it.

It was a game with platforms where you were some kind of an egg (no legs or arms, it's not any of the Dizzy games), it could jumb between platforms, it would break if you fell down from too high, it add some kind of portals in some areas and passwords for different levels. It was around 1986 or 1987, I believe it was on PC because I remember writing down the passwords on the cardboard box where the PC monitor came in.

Here is a rough paint sketch...

You sure it was PC DOS and not some other home computer?

As for the player character (egg), how did it move if it didn't have arms and legs? Was it just a static sprite that slides and jumps or did it maybe roll or something? Do you remember some details about the colors and graphics, was it black, white and red like in your sketch?

Teppic

CD-Man?

Fadobo

A DOS (or early Windows) game where you are a guy in a Jetpack / astronaut suit shooting at aliens. I think you could also land and walk around in some areas. I am pretty certain I had it in a 4-in-1 collection (on a 3,5' disk) with "The Adventures of Microman"

M0G

In the UK, Tesco used to do these vouchers that bought your school Acorn Archimedes (I think) computers. Instead of the educational stuff most of us just played Lander, but there was one educational game that through rose tinted goggles was pretty cool. Some time travel adventure game based around ancient civilisations. It probably plays like arse as an adult but still curious about it tbh.

I have two. Played with both in the late 90ies I think on PC. One is a chess game where if the pieces met, there came in a minigame where you actually had two fight with your opponent to take over. The other one is like a space shooter, where you see the ships from above and have to go against each other on one screen, that is endless because the edges loop. You could choose very different ships, with different weapons and everything.

mclem

In the UK, Tesco used to do these vouchers that bought your school Acorn Archimedes (I think) computers. Instead of the educational stuff most of us just played Lander, but there was one educational game that through rose tinted goggles was pretty cool. Some time travel adventure game based around ancient civilisations. It probably plays like arse as an adult but still curious about it tbh.

Arcventure. I'm surprised that stuck in peoples' minds as much as it did (It's cropped up in this thread a couple of times), I thought it was rather more obscure than it's proving to be!

I have two. Played with both in the late 90ies I think on PC. One is a chess game where if the pieces met, there came in a minigame where you actually had two fight with your opponent to take over.

Archon seems the most likely, although that's 80s rather than 90s. Wonder if there was a later port or remake.

Edit: Ah, yes: Archon Ultra:
B5Wab7O.png

The other one is like a space shooter, where you see the ships from above and have to go against each other on one screen, that is endless because the edges loop. You could choose very different ships, with different weapons and everything.
Some iteration of Spacewar, I guess, although Star Control is the highest-profile. Since you're only talking about combat, Star Control 1.

Top Bottom