• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

I've been trying to find the first game I've ever owned since forever, but so far I've been unsuccessful, maybe detective GAF can help me. I played it on the ZX Spectrum 128k, but it may have been available for the 48k as well. This was, at most, in 1990, but I'm pretty sure i wasnt playing freshly released games anyway.
It was a side view, you controlled what I can only describe as a robot with 2 legs, kinda like an AT-ST, complete with a squarish head (I hope I'm recalling this correctly).
Sadly, due to not understanding a word of english at the time, I never really understood the point of the game but, looking back, it kinda seemed like a free roaming type of adventure or something metroid like. I dont think you could fire or shoot anything, but it may have been due to not finding an item that would allow you to do so or because I simply didnt find the assigned key.
There was gravity, I believe you could also jump. Each screen was a room, there was no scrolling, and, depending on the room you were in, you could proceed to any of the screen's edges. I think I recall a room with a giant head or something similar.
I think the name seemed very exotic at the time, so it would probably be something with one of more of the following letters - KWXYZ, but I may be mixing it up with the actual computer's name.
Whenever I remember the game, I go to worldofspectrum and browse a few of the games listed there, but with almost 10500, it is a bit overwhelming and not every one has photos. Anyway, if any of you has any idea what this game might be, give me a shout.

TLDR - ZX Spectrum 128k, side view game, AT-ST-like robot with 2 legs and a square head.

Kat Trap?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8U8ta8oEyv0

tariniel

There was a PS1 game that my friend had when we were kids, I remember almost nothing except in the first/opening cutscene, your character is strapped to a bed and needles are inserted into his eyes.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't even know what made me think of it.

Antivoid

Played a game on the Amiga when I was a kid. Side scrolling platformer where the creatures were like balls of fur. Some of them were bombs and that's all I can remember!!

retroman

Played a game on the Amiga when I was a kid. Side scrolling platformer where the creatures were like balls of fur. Some of them were bombs and that's all I can remember!!
Sounds like Fury Of The Furries!

224689-fury-of-the-furries-amiga-screenshot-game-start.png

retroman

I went through some games but nothing really completely fits the description. Try Twinkle Star Sprites, Magical Drop, Gunbird, Samurai Aces. Maybe some of these might look more similar in style and tone etc. A good looking attract mode immediately makes me think of Neo-Geo games, but I can't really remember any fitting the description.

Thanks for searching, but alas it's none of those games. I guess either the game I'm looking for is extremely obscure, or my memory of it is just too vague to give an accurate description.

bjork

Thanks for searching, but alas it's none of those games. I guess either the game I'm looking for is extremely obscure, or my memory of it is just too vague to give an accurate description.

It doesn't fit most of your description, but what about Gaiapolis?

retroman

It doesn't fit most of your description, but what about Gaiapolis?

That looks like a pretty cool game, but unfortunately it's not the game I saw at that arcade.

If my memory is correct, the game I'm looking for kinda resembles Legendary Wings, but with better, more colourful graphics. I'm still not sure if it was a vertically scrolling or horizontally scrolling game. It definitely wasn't released after 1992.

Antivoid

Sounds like Fury Of The Furries!

224689-fury-of-the-furries-amiga-screenshot-game-start.png

That certainly fits the description and was the game I found last time I tried to find it but it just doesn't look how I remember. The colour pallette was lighter, at least in my mind it is! I might ROM it and see if it brings back memories.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That certainly fits the description and was the game I found last time I tried to find it but it just doesn't look how I remember. The colour pallette was lighter, at least in my mind it is! I might ROM it and see if it brings back memories.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Creatures?
Creatures_2.png

But yeah, I'd have gone with retroman on Fury of the Furries.

Playsage

I remember to have played this game on an Arcade machines and also on a emulator, but it's been a while... It's pretty famous.

Side-scroller shooter.
It's a super wacky spin-off/parody of a famous series (forgot the name).
A spaceship (which is from the main series), a penguin and a octopus are the selectable characters.
In the first level you encounter and fighting with a flying boat with a pirate cat as a face.

I was reading Scott Pilgrim and it reminded me of its existence

Cade

I remember to have played this game on an Arcade machines and also on a emulator, but it's been a while... It's pretty famous.

Side-scroller shooter.
It's a super wacky spin-off/parody of a famous series (forgot the name).
A spaceship (which is from the main series), a penguin and a octopus are the selectable characters.
In the first level you encounter and fighting with a flying boat with a pirate cat as a face.

I was reading Scott Pilgrim and it reminded me of its existence

Parodius

eso76

That looks like a pretty cool game, but unfortunately it's not the game I saw at that arcade.

If my memory is correct, the game I'm looking for kinda resembles Legendary Wings, but with better, more colourful graphics. I'm still not sure if it was a vertically scrolling or horizontally scrolling game. It definitely wasn't released after 1992.

Are you sure it was a shooter at least ?
Can't think of anything with winged characters released before 1993 besides the games that were already mentioned

retroman

Are you sure it was a shooter at least ?
Can't think of anything with winged characters released before 1993 besides the games that were already mentioned

If it wasn't a shooter, it might've been a platform game. Perhaps graphicswise and gameplaywise a bit comparable to games like Rastan?

Again, I'm sorry I remember so little about it :(

Apathy

I remember this arcade game, co-op or single player. Flat 2-D plane, you go back and forth and there were platforms you could also jump on, but you dont side scroll, it's just one stage. These bouncing calls were going around and your guys were shooting something like a gun or something upwards and if they hit the balls they would break into smaller ones. You avoided the balls till you destroyed them all and moved on to the next level.

I remember this arcade game, co-op or single player. Flat 2-D plane, you go back and forth and there were platforms you could also jump on, but you dont side scroll, it's just one stage. These bouncing calls were going around and your guys were shooting something like a gun or something upwards and if they hit the balls they would break into smaller ones. You avoided the balls till you destroyed them all and moved on to the next level.

Sounds like Buster Bros.

tr00per

Alright gaf, I got one for you.

Certain:

Co op arcade game for 4 (maybe 6? 8?) players on one screen

Possibly:

Space / sci-fi themed rail shooter
I think it was an installation, not a simple machine that you sit in (like jurassic park)
The outside was white if I remember correctly

Maybe:

Title might have started with a G?
Motion chairs?

yophlow

Banned
Wondering what the name was of a very adult (ie. toilet humor), old PC game was that I saw decades ago. This description might be oddly NSFW so spoiler tags I guess?

I remember it being kind of like a beat em up, with one character bouncing along on his giant testicles, and another that had fart power. There was a bird that flew around shitting on your head. At the end of the levels there was a bonus round where you had to fart or bounce on your balls as high as you could against a height measurement. Yeah, weird.

Wondering what the name was of a very adult (ie. toilet humor), old PC game was that I saw decades ago. This description might be oddly NSFW so spoiler tags I guess?

I remember it being kind of like a beat em up, with one character bouncing along on his giant testicles, and another that had fart power. There was a bird that flew around shitting on your head. At the end of the levels there was a bonus round where you had to fart or bounce on your balls as high as you could against a height measurement. Yeah, weird.

Viz the game!

65756-Viz.jpg

I initially posted a screenshot that you described but it's probably best not to have pixelated testicles on GAF.

Alright gaf, I got one for you.

Certain:

Co op arcade game for 4 (maybe 6? 8?) players on one screen

Possibly:

Space / sci-fi themed rail shooter
I think it was an installation, not a simple machine that you sit in (like jurassic park)
The outside was white if I remember correctly

Maybe:

Title might have started with a G?
Motion chairs?

Galaxian 3?
worldsLargest.jpg

-Naruto-

please help me with this one guys

- An arcade game from early 90's (late 80's).

Basically a shooter of a guy in a cloud (nichibutsu)

Thanks in advance

eso76

please help me with this one guys

- An arcade game from early 90's (late 80's).

Basically a shooter of a guy in a cloud (nichibutsu)

Thanks in advance

Ninja emaki ?
Top down or horizontal ?

(You only ride a cloud in the beginning iirc, but the game was so hard most people only remember the first stage)

If it wasn't a shooter, it might've been a platform game. Perhaps graphicswise and gameplaywise a bit comparable to games like Rastan?

Again, I'm sorry I remember so little about it :(

heh. definitely before 1993 though right?
I think the nearest thing I found was Sorcer Striker but that's 1993.

OranSky

Banned
The first game I got with my GBA for Christmas has always been a vague memory to me. It was some sort of tower stacking game where I think the goal was to stack up a tower with various types of blocks and you had to try and destroy the opposing forces tower. It had a rather cavemanesk style but I could be wrong though. It wasent the Pokemon game I asked for but damn did I have fun with it.

The first game I got with my GBA for Christmas has always been a vague memory to me. It was some sort of tower stacking game where I think the goal was to stack up a tower with various types of blocks and you had to try and destroy the opposing forces tower. It had a rather cavemanesk style but I could be wrong though. It wasent the Pokemon game I asked for but damn did I have fun with it.

Fortress?

Showshank

Not much to go on but I believe it was an RPG on the SNES where you get pushed from the top of a waterfall by some kids. I saw a friend playing this and for some reason that scene stuck with me while not knowing anything about the game.

bronk

Banned
Not much to go on but I believe it was an RPG on the SNES where you get pushed from the top of a waterfall by some kids. I saw a friend playing this and for some reason that scene stuck with me while not knowing anything about the game.
Secret of Mana an absolute classic.

tr00per

Galaxian 3?
worldsLargest.jpg

Wait a minute... Wait a minute...

By George I think you're right! I had no idea they even made sequels to galaxian! And I played galaga DE and DX.

Thank you so much! That's been bugging me for years!

Edit: reading up on the game. This thing was a beast! I imagine trying to buy one these days in working order would cost a small fortune.

Here's a thread of someone purchasing and moving one:

http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=231.0

I don't know why they called Galaxian3 that XD
It's basically a sequel to Starblade. Played that 6 player cabinet quite a bit back in the day, watched a video of it recently and it's... not so impressive looking any more, but the giant screen is needed really. There is a psOne version if you're interested!
edit; ah I see the psOne box gets a funny cameo in that story :)

tr00per

I don't know why they called Galaxian3 that XD
It's basically a sequel to Starblade. Played that 6 player cabinet quite a bit back in the day, watched a video of it recently and it's... not so impressive looking any more, but the giant screen is needed really. There is a psOne version if you're interested!
edit; ah I see the psOne box gets a funny cameo in that story :)

Well of course by today's standards it won't hold up but I imagine the experience is very different sitting inside. Especially in the 90s. What a lucky guy.

And isn't starblade the one in the tekken 5 loading screen?

This thread is so useful.

2 games I keep forgetting the names of are Cyril Cyberpunk and Overkill on DOS.

I remembered Cyril cyberpunk while typing out this post for Overkill lol.

1ipSV.png

eso76

Yeah, I'm 100% sure it was released before 1993, because I saw the game in the summer of '91 or '92.

This is driving me crazy. Maybe it's not MAME'd yet, because I can't find a match.

Are you sure it was the attract mode and not some between stages cutscene ?

Hulohot

Neo Member
Trying to remember a sega mega drive game. I'm in the UK and must have picked it up at a car boot sale. I remember two things about it;

You play as a muscly shirtless man with a sword. Side scroller fighting animals I think. Start outdoors in a grassy mountain area and can go inside caves. I remember the music being cool.

The title had the main characters name in it, which was a single word game. I think it was a historical name, maybe beginning with G.

Trying to remember a sega mega drive game. I'm in the UK and must have picked it up at a car boot sale. I remember two things about it;

You play as a muscly shirtless man with a sword. Side scroller fighting animals I think. Start outdoors in a grassy mountain area and can go inside caves. I remember the music being cool.

The title had the main characters name in it, which was a single word game. I think it was a historical name, maybe beginning with G.

Sword of Sodan ?

Gods?
gods_2.png

retroman

This is driving me crazy. Maybe it's not MAME'd yet, because I can't find a match.

Are you sure it was the attract mode and not some between stages cutscene ?

Well, now you mention it, I guess (part of) it could've been a cutscene instead of actual gameplay...

Man, I feel guilty for sending you guys on this wild-goose chase :(

jimboton

Legend of Galahad fits, except the shirtless part..

Top Bottom