• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Powerpuff

don't think it was these, unfortunately. man, wish i remembered more. if i remember correctly, the combat was melee based. maybe a sword or whip?

Could it be Valis III ?
valis3-gen-01.png
valis3-gen-10.png

It was newer with bigger sprites than the games you mentioned. It didn't have a black or green background, I think it was white. The main character was an everyday guy,nothing special. You walked right, met an obstacle, turn back left, climbed some platforms, picked up an object, headed right again and used the object on the obstacle. I don't remember any combat in the game. But all my memories are waaaay too faded to be sure of any details.

So by everyday guy, you mean the setting was maybe a bit more realistic (as in, the character was normally proportioned, the environments were closer to reality, houses, apartments, a city, instead of a fantasy or sci-fi setting)? Do you remember how you climbed the platforms (jumping, ladders, other)?

Anyway, try these:
How to be a Complete Bastard
Andy Capp
Count Duckula in No Sax Please - We're Egyptian
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Heavy on the Magick
Le Labyrinthe de Morphintax
Nexus
Sapiens
The Mystery of Arkham Manor
Dempsey and Makepeace
THING!

If it's none of these, maybe some of these feel or look closer to what you're looking for?

mclem

Around 97/98 I played a driving game (I forgot if you actually raced against others) on the pc. The cars were all supercars. I remember a red and blue one for sure. The main part of the game was creating your own tracks, iirc you could even make loops and stuff like that. If I had to guess the game was from around 94 or something, as the cars looked sprite-like (in my memory). Any guesses?

That might well be 4D Sports Driving, also known as Stunts.

Around 97/98 I played a driving game (I forgot if you actually raced against others) on the pc. The cars were all supercars. I remember a red and blue one for sure. The main part of the game was creating your own tracks, iirc you could even make loops and stuff like that. If I had to guess the game was from around 94 or something, as the cars looked sprite-like (in my memory). Any guesses?

edit: sorry didnt see post above

Cepheus

I remember playing a South Park game on PC maybe about fourteen or fifteen years ago. It was probably either on Windows 95 or 98. All I remember about it is that there was a Space Invaders-type game with Cartman in the bottom right corner and this other game about throwing tomatoes (I think?) at a crowd of people on the screen from a first-person perspective. I remember that if you hit Ike, you either lost points or got a game over or something. I don't watch South Park so I can't really describe much else, and my parents uninstalled the games soon after I got it because of the swearing. They were definitely separate EXEs and I can't find any South Park games on Wikipedia that match up with this description. It definitely wasn't the first-person 3D game or Chef's Luv Shack.

I remember playing a South Park game on PC maybe about fourteen or fifteen years ago. It was probably either on Windows 95 or 98. All I remember about it is that there was a Space Invaders-type game with Cartman in the bottom right corner and this other game about throwing tomatoes (I think?) at a crowd of people on the screen from a first-person perspective. I remember that if you hit Ike, you either lost points or got a game over or something. I don't watch South Park so I can't really describe much else, and my parents uninstalled the games soon after I got it because of the swearing. They were definitely separate EXEs and I can't find any South Park games on Wikipedia that match up with this description. It definitely wasn't the first-person 3D game or Chef's Luv Shack.

Are you sure it wasn't Chef's Luv Shack? That had the ass-teroids or whatever ass related pun minigame.

Sounds like one of those screensaver/wallpaper/minigames collections that were fairly big in the 90s. I remember a Beavis & Butthead one but not South Park unfortunately!

That game you describe sounds like either Virtual Bart or the Toejam and Earl game in the mega drive Menacer collection though!

SergioDaly

Neo Member
can some one help me. when i was a kid (about 20 years ago), i did play a soccer game with little players and the teams had special shoot like fire ball, another one that i remember was a fish shoot, where the ball turn into a fish and jump around going for the goal. google it many times and search youtube too but i don't find this game anywhere.

I found this unlicensed game on YouTube that matches your first description.
South Park Invaders

BooJoh

can some one help me. when i was a kid (about 20 years ago), i did play a soccer game with little players and the teams had special shoot like fire ball, another one that i remember was a fish shoot, where the ball turn into a fish and jump around going for the goal. google it many times and search youtube too but i don't find this game anywhere.

The ball doesn't actually turn into a fish, but otherwise this sounds like it might be Nintendo World Cup, a soccer game in the Kunio-kun/River City series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWI5FOneLs (around 2:20 the blue team has some shots with the ball hopping around, maybe what you were thinking of with the fish thing?)

Noaksey

Neo Member
Have you ever thought of a game, but don't know the title, or much about it at all? Maybe it was a game from your childhood, or some game that interested you when it was announced but fell off your radar. Post them in this thread and let's see if other GAF posters can help you out.

Anyways, I saw someone mention Battlezone on here and started to think about this tank combat game for the arcade. I think it was from Japan or had some Japanese name. I don't remember much about it except that it was two player and you could fight each other's tanks. One of the tanks was also white I think. Any ideas?

I have a tough one, really difficult, I'll attempt to explain as best I can but my memory is fading

When I was little I use to have a Spectrum ZX, Amiga, Commodore, etc. not which console exactly it was I don't remember but I use to play a game where the UI was a map of a world / solar system. your job was to fly around and pick up passengers but you couldn't see them so you would have to land and wait for them to knock the door and sometimes it was a human and others a monster. The monster would jump out a scare you.

I literally only remember this

Please help me

There was an Atari 2600 game I once had that was essentially a space shuttle simulator. You'd spend ten minutes flying into space before you were presented with an image of the earth with a satellite hovering over it. You'd press up and then left on the joystick (I think) and the satellite would spin out, before you plummeted back to earth having completed your mission.

I think the game over screen was like a fake certificate to cement your status as the best astronaut who ever lived or something.

I'm sure I'll never find it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a tough one, really difficult, I'll attempt to explain as best I can but my memory is fading

When I was little I use to have a Spectrum ZX, Amiga, Commodore, etc. not which console exactly it was I don't remember but I use to play a game where the UI was a map of a world / solar system. your job was to fly around and pick up passengers but you couldn't see them so you would have to land and wait for them to knock the door and sometimes it was a human and others a monster. The monster would jump out a scare you.

I literally only remember this

Please help me

Rescue on Fractalus?

rescue_on_fractalus_p61_1403.png

eso76

There was an Atari 2600 game I once had that was essentially a space shuttle simulator. You'd spend ten minutes flying into space before you were presented with an image of the earth with a satellite hovering over it. You'd press up and then left on the joystick (I think) and the satellite would spin out, before you plummeted back to earth having completed your mission.

I think the game over screen was like a fake certificate to cement your status as the best astronaut who ever lived or something.

I'm sure I'll never find it.

You certainly already checked
Shuttle journey into space
Shuttle simulator
Shuttle orbiter

Whoops, hours late

There was a game I played about 20,21 years ago at a cinema. It was on arcade and don't know if it had console versions or not. Graphics were like SNES era from what I remembered and it was a little like Golden Axe gameplay-wise. Most thing I remember is its first cutscene. There were some giant monsters attacking a village (or city?) and kill people and there was a scene that some monster took a woman in its hand and press it or something! I don't remember the exact scene, but it was horrible.
Please tell me name of that game.

Jackpot

Banned
Trying to remember a borderline budget shooter on the pc from about 10 years ago. You're part of a special forces team investigating a North Korean facility that eventually ends up with you fighting zombies-but-not-zombies. It's not Shellshock 2 or Rogue Warrior.

edit: It was Instinct

retroman

There was a game I played about 20,21 years ago at a cinema. It was on arcade and don't know if it had console versions or not. Graphics were like SNES era from what I remembered and it was a little like Golden Axe gameplay-wise. Most thing I remember is its first cutscene. There were some giant monsters attacking a village (or city?) and kill people and there was a scene that some monster took a woman in its hand and press it or something! I don't remember the exact scene, but it was horrible.
Alien Storm?

Wild Fang (aka Tecmo Knight)?

Anyone in here remember Next Generation Magazine?

My parents gifted me a subscription when I got my PlayStation and I remember reading about a game that I was so excited for called Urban Decay. I didn't remember the name, but I just spent a damn hour looking for it.

https://www.unseen64.net/2011/01/18/urban-decay-pc-cancelled/

This has a rather interesting art style, so I couldn't help but research Ecstatica by the same studio, which was basically a proto-survival horror that even predates the original Alone in the Dark, and stands out by having a unique style of rendering and surprisingly good animation. I wonder if I should get my hands on it and play it via Dosbox.

And repeating my previous request, I remember playing a PC game with an isometric viewpoint with cartoony visuals (2D or 3D, I'm not quite sure), and it was about tanks and swapping out tank parts to solve puzzles and get through obstacles like certain types of terrain or blowing certain things up. But I'm not expecting much luck with that if nobody has given any suggestions previously, I suppose.

This has a rather interesting art style, so I couldn't help but research Ecstatica by the same studio, which was basically a proto-survival horror that even predates the original Alone in the Dark, and stands out by having a unique style of rendering and surprisingly good animation. I wonder if I should get my hands on it and play it via Dosbox.

And repeating my previous request, I remember playing a PC game with an isometric viewpoint with cartoony visuals (2D or 3D, I'm not quite sure), and it was about tanks and swapping out tank parts to solve puzzles and get through obstacles like certain types of terrain or blowing certain things up. But I'm not expecting much luck with that if nobody has given any suggestions previously, I suppose.

Sounds like Tanktics

I need some help finding a name of a game.
I played the demo of this game about ten years ago. It was an RTS fantasy game that was top down and had no base building, but instead, you get units from the beginning and that was your force for the level. One of the levels had you last waves of enemies until the time ran out. And the other level had a group[ of different units and you had to go through the map and either fight monsters or look for something, I can't remember, I think this demo was for the mac and it had a unit that can set bombs of sorts.
So GAF, can you help me find this game?

I need some help finding a name of a game.
I played the demo of this game about ten years ago. It was an RTS fantasy game that was top down and had no base building, but instead, you get units from the beginning and that was your force for the level. One of the levels had you last waves of enemies until the time ran out. And the other level had a group[ of different units and you had to go through the map and either fight monsters or look for something, I can't remember, I think this demo was for the mac and it had a unit that can set bombs of sorts.
So GAF, can you help me find this game?

Could be one of the Myth games - I think there were 3, with the first two made by Bungie.

Anyone remember that Halloween-themed game where you play a kid in PJs trying to rescue his cat or something? Been looking for that game for awhile now.

Paasei

A diving game on the PSX. You could throw/shoot nets. Open levels, as far as it was allowed technologically.

I think it was a demo that I played as I can only remember one level.

I was going to ask if anyone remembered an arcade game from the 80s that was a proto Street Fighter game (Pre Street Fight 1) where you played as a kung fu fighter that jumped back and forth across the screen and there was only 1 or 2 backgrounds in the whole game.

But I found the game after doing some research. Thought I'd post its name and some media in case anyone else couldn't remember its name:

Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Screens:

kungfuarcade-05a.jpg

1161_01.jpg

Desktop%201-3-2016%2011-41-31%20AM-559_zpsdk5rzuqm.jpg

Gameplay Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWRveg_gJs

Wikipedia Article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yie_Ar_Kung-Fu

cantona222

I was going to ask if anyone remembered an arcade game from the 80s that was a proto Street Fighter game (Pre Street Fight 1) where you played as a kung fu fighter that jumped back and forth across the screen and there was only 1 or 2 backgrounds in the whole game.

But I found the game after doing some research. Thought I'd post its name and some media in case anyone else couldn't remember its name:

Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Screens:

kungfuarcade-05a.jpg

1161_01.jpg

Desktop%201-3-2016%2011-41-31%20AM-559_zpsdk5rzuqm.jpg

Gameplay Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWRveg_gJs

Wikipedia Article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yie_Ar_Kung-Fu

Yeah. I played the MSX version back in the day.

mclem

This has a rather interesting art style, so I couldn't help but research Ecstatica by the same studio, which was basically a proto-survival horror that even predates the original Alone in the Dark

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I thought Ecstatica was midnineties, AITD more like '91-92ish.

Indeed, I recall reading a review in either PC Format or PC Zone and I'm sure it explicitly compared the design to AITD.

Faustek

EDIT: I should add that the game couldn't have come out after 2002

ok so I remember playing this Dungeon Crawler on PC. Other than the starting area I don't remember much, you where in a town and could explore the dungeons beneath it, you had the normal races, beasts, human, drakes, and whatnot. The game looked really neat, the profile pictures where, if I remember correctly, CG renders and I want to remember that the whole game looked really neat. Think Legend of Grimrock 15 years back. Oh and if I remember correctly you could have your party shown either in the right corner or in the middle under the window, kinda like Lands of Lore.

I have no idea what it was other than it released around the time Nelly released his single "Ride wit me"...or I just played it around that time. My memory is good I swear, just short and unreliable.

Top Bottom