• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Shion

2. PS1 or N64 combat racing game with upgradeable weapons and a dark (and bloody maybe?) theme to it and it is not Vigilante 8 or Destruction Derby (or carmageddon).
Twisted Metal?
The only other car combat game I can remember (beside the ones already mentioned), is Rogue Trip.

E-Motion? I always remember seeing the Einstein adverts in Spectrum magazines at the time.

It certainly was not any version of that game, but thanks.
Mine was more like a colored orb in rotation around other orbs, as you jumped from orb to orb they changed color, I guess the goal was to change them all without double touching? Again I could be mistaken.

Still its the first game that puzzles me the most.

I remember being lost in the dessert and dying of dehydration, finding villages of people and needing to trade with them, I guess talking to the village elders and such to get clues on how to win the game? also the graphics were basic. like, 2 3 colors on the screen tops.
Again the most memorable thing for me was this snake on the title screen, just flicking its tongue and having shining eyes, with 8-bit sounding music. Unfortunately I am unaware of the system the game came on.

Goyira

Neo Member
I'm looking for an arcade hall game I played loads. Must have been 20 years ago or so since I played it.
It was a side scrolling R Type game, with dual screens, side by side.
From what i can remember of it, the first few levels were some kind of alien attack on an earth like city or something. and that the graphics seemed really nice compared to other games at the time.

Cant be more specific than that, been looking for it for some time now, but just can't seem to figure out what it was called.

eso76

I'm looking for an arcade hall game I played loads. Must have been 20 years ago or so since I played it.
It was a side scrolling R Type game, with dual screens, side by side.
From what i can remember of it, the first few levels were some kind of alien attack on an earth like city or something. and that the graphics seemed really nice compared to other games at the time.

Cant be more specific than that, been looking for it for some time now, but just can't seem to figure out what it was called.

Has to be Darius.

Goyira

Neo Member
Has to be Darius.

yeah that's the one! Darius 2 Arcade looking from the screens of it. I even remember the crab boss on one of the screens on the site i'm looking at. And it was called Sagaia outside of Japan and that's indeed the name i now remember.
I played this game so much, that in the end i could complete it on a single coin. But i spent a small fortune learning the game by heart :)

Het_Nkik

Alright, here's a good one and it's bothering me that I don't remember the name since it was one of the coolest games I've ever played.

It was an arcade game with an extremely large cabinet. Actually, I wouldn't even call it cabinet; it was a room. But not like a room of the arcade... like an extremely large cabinet. Anyway, you walked in and it looked vaguely like the inside of a spaceship. There were 6 (or maybe 4) gunner turrets to play with as many people. It was a lightgun shooter and you shot at flying alien monsters and such on a very large screen. There was even a warning light on the ceiling of the room that would flash during parts of the game.

This game was at the Dave & Busters at the Irvine Spectrum in March of 2000. I remember because I played it after seeing Fantasia 2000 at the IMAX nearby on my birthday.

Dave & Busters does not have cool games like this anymore : (

It was a game about the body. It was a multiplayer board game style game. You played as kids on a "gameboard" and had to roll dice to advance. There were minigames along the way that earned you body points or something. The minigames consisted of choosing healthy food choices and exercise crap.

At the end of each level there was a challenge that you could only pass if you got enough points from the minigames. The first challenge was swimming in the nile for a race. If you lost you got eaten by crocodiles. At some point there was a cave with a scary as fuck floating jester head that tried to tempt you into doing drugs.

It had "body" in the name I think. Maybe "adventure" as well.

Alright, here's a good one and it's bothering me that I don't remember the name since it was one of the coolest games I've ever played.

It was an arcade game with an extremely large cabinet. Actually, I wouldn't even call it cabinet; it was a room. But not like a room of the arcade... like an extremely large cabinet. Anyway, you walked in and it looked vaguely like the inside of a spaceship. There were 6 (or maybe 4) gunner turrets to play with as many people. It was a lightgun shooter and you shot at flying alien monsters and such on a very large screen. There was even a warning light on the ceiling of the room that would flash during parts of the game.

This game was at the Dave & Busters at the Irvine Spectrum in March of 2000. I remember because I played it after seeing Fantasia 2000 at the IMAX nearby on my birthday.

Dave & Busters does not have cool games like this anymore : (

Galaxian 3?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxian_3

I remember some demo I had for the dreamcast that I played loads, where you played some huge robot type thing in a little city. I can't remember what the objective of the game was, but I remember you could walk around stomping on cars and crushing people.

lvclix

Banned
I grew up in a neighborhood with a huge asian population in southern California. My Korean neighbor had a famicon. Maybe super famicon. Anywho, he was only allowed to play 30 minutes each day after school. Naturally he wasn't very good so he wisely asked me to play and he would watch since gaming was pracitically my occupation.

The game I thinking of was Japanese. It was a platformer. You played a baby on all fours in a diaper maybe? The levels were made out of various things like cakes and rainbows. Very kewl at the time.

Antother game I'm thinking of was for Sega CD. I think it had an exclamation point in the title. You were a boy and had a dog side kick. You would go through random scenes trying to click various buttons to progress. One scene might be an art museum for instance.

A third game. Or maybe not really. Again for Sega CD. It was a pack-in. It played two Jimmy Hendrix songs and took you through a bunch of pictures of him and had a pychodelic strobe effect. One of the songs "Manic Depression" and the other was "Fire".

lvclix

Banned
Throw this one in too.

Dreamcast. A game where you start off as some microbial animal and eat stuff to evolve and slowly make your way up the food chain where at some point it turns into a proper game. Very weird.

An aside, anyone know what number the King's Field was on the Dreamcast? The one where the final boss is a dragon.

Antother game I'm thinking of was for Sega CD. I think it had an exclamation point in the title. You were a boy and had a dog side kick. You would go through random scenes trying to click various buttons to progress. One scene might be an art museum for instance.

Adventures of Willy Beamish

Edit: Maybe not? He had a frog, not a dog.

I grew up in a neighborhood with a huge asian population in southern California. My Korean neighbor had a famicon. Maybe super famicon. Anywho, he was only allowed to play 30 minutes each day after school. Naturally he wasn't very good so he wisely asked me to play and he would watch since gaming was pracitically my occupation.

The game I thinking of was Japanese. It was a platformer. You played a baby on all fours in a diaper maybe? The levels were made out of various things like cakes and rainbows. Very kewl at the time.

A third game. Or maybe not really. Again for Sega CD. It was a pack-in. It played two Jimmy Hendrix songs and took you through a bunch of pictures of him and had a pychodelic strobe effect. One of the songs "Manic Depression" and the other was "Fire".

First game is Bio Miracle Upa- http://hardcoregaming101.net/upa/upa.htm

Second game is Switch (Panic in US)-http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/panic/panic.htm

3rd game sound like one of the CD+G disks that came with the Sega CD. Rockpaintings I think it was called...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mrlqqMkxw

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Throw this one in too.

Dreamcast. A game where you start off as some microbial animal and eat stuff to evolve and slowly make your way up the food chain where at some point it turns into a proper game. Very weird.

Seventh Cross: Evolution

Xero

It's the closest so far, but still no. I think the characters were a bit taller and thinner.
Another close one is Crime City.
I guess my memory has faded too much to find this one..

I'm gonna throw a bit out their. Although it sounds like the characters are bigger then this is it one of the contra games? others

Robocop arcade game (only 1 player i think though)
You said Eswat was close maybe its the genesis version city under siege? The models are a bit thinner then the arcade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U6eQyMJpB4

I have one that this reminded me of though. All I remember was that it was in the arcade, and was very much like contra. (it might even be a version) It had different guns and after the levels I remember going to a helicopter where I think you could change out your weapons or buy new ones or something.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It was a NES or Genesis game with I think, a rabbit who looked green. It took place in space and I think one of his moves involved moonwalking.

You can imagine how hard it is to find with Michael Jacksons Moonwalker polluting the google results.

Another one was a NES game with a little cave man dude who attacked things with his head.

Xero

It was a NES or Genesis game with I think, a rabbit who looked green. It took place in space and I think one of his moves involved moonwalking.

You can imagine how hard it is to find with Michael Jacksons Moonwalker polluting the google results.

Another one was a NES game with a little cave man dude who attacked things with his head.

Sounds like bucky o hare and bonk

Edit: vids.

buck o hare which was a cartoon as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePb4hi_tsU

bonk for nes (bonk was on a few systems though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj6R1QEoi8

Either Baby Jo or Baby's Day Out?

Panic!

Rock Paintings?

*edit* sorry! Didn't notice that GrumpyAlien beat me to it!

I played this top down shooter on the NES. It's similar to galaga, you play as a fighter jet. It has two player support.

Anyone know the name?

Here's another one. I used to own this one back in the days of yore: a strategy medieval war game for the NES, with a map made of I think hexagons, and you could take over other castles and shit. I think.

Here's another one. I used to own this one back in the days of yore: a strategy medieval war game for the NES, with a map made of I think hexagons, and you could take over other castles and shit. I think.

While not a hexagon the first thing that came to mind was the Nobunaga's Ambition series. Here's a shot of the second game on NES and its offset grid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTV06jd9j3A&feature=player_detailpage#t=474s

Edit: Oh, and if not that series check Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Figured it could be either.

DCharlie

Banned

Biomiracle bokutte Upa

Dram

Arcade game from the 90's, Japan only I think. Sort of like an Olympics type game where there are a lot of events. Had characters from different countries, that had superhero like powers. It was a tournament where you advance to the next round, after beating one character in a race while avoiding obstacles on the course.

Other events were pulling a car to the finish line before a Godzilla like monster steps on you, another was diving into the ocean as far you could and then making it back to the surface with out drowning.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Arcade game from the 90's, Japan only I think. Sort of like an Olympics type game where there are a lot of events. Had characters from different countries, that had superhero like powers. It was a tournament where you advance to the next round, after beating one character in a race while avoiding obstacles on the course.

Other events were pulling a car to the finish line before a Godzilla like monster steps on you, another was diving into the ocean as far you could and then making it back to the surface with out drowning.
Sounds like Namco's Mach Breakers, the sequel to Numan Athletics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MgfigaL54

mclem

I have some hard ones for everyone.

1. PC, DOS game (I think), flight game, flat shaded, had this odd building on the map that made strange noises and when you selected missions you could choose the colour of the world and make it funky.

My normal reaction when someone cites an obscure PC game is to go through lesser-known shareware titles, because those are ones people are more likely to have randomly stumbled on. While it was a game I barely played, I *do* know it was a flight sim (with the exciting theme of "WW2 planes vs. aliens"), so I'm going to say: Corncob 3D.

dyna-soar

So there was this game that I played on PS1 demo disc a long time back, it was set in what I remember to be a city with over head style graphics, looked almost like Metal Gear Solid graphically, it was a very mature looking game, not kiddy looking if that makes sense. Also I remember you fought a helicopter or possibly some sort of mech at the end of the demo, that is all I can remember, I also seem to think you fought through the whole demo with a sword.

diamount

Banned
So vague. Any more details? Near the start of the PS's life? Later? Graphical style etc?

Not sure about the date honestly, if I had to guess around 98-99. As for the art style I think it was going for a realism approach, it was first person also.

Top Bottom