• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You've Beaten in April

Aaron D.

ZSDaAEF.jpg

Easy contender for Worst Game of the Year.

Will 100% land in my 2015 GOTY Top 10.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
-MKX Story Mode. Meh
-BL2+DLC (Only have Tiny Tina left) Surprisingly great!

Still working on:
-Shovel Knight (Just need to clear last stage)
-DS2 Scholar of First Sin. (About halfway through currently)
-Broken Age (Well just finished Act 1...)
-BB (Waiting until I finish DS2)

• Super Mario 3D World (beat World Crown)
  • Wind Waker HD (finished the game after a really long hiatus from it)
  • Bayonetta 2 (finished Infinite Climax, still working on the secret boss and the rest of the cheevos)

I plan on going back to finish Xenoblade and Vanquish this month. Also hoping to chip away at more of Dragon's Crown and Dragon's Dogma as well as starting Catherine.

AmuroChan

Xblaze Code: Embryo
Monster Monpiece
Back to the Future
The Wolf Among Us
Dragon Fantasy: Book I
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Rogue Legacy
Nat Geo Challenge! Wild Life
Ben 10 Omniverse 2
Valiant Hearts

Bluenoser

Bloodborne (twice)

Valiant Hearts. (what an amazing game. If you have downloaded it for free on PSN and have not played it yet, you owe it to yourself to do so. Very rich in WW1 history)

God of War 2
The GoW series isn't one i'm unfamiliar with, having witnessed the majority of the original trilogy in action sans actually playing it myself.
It never looked like something I'd enjoy much but I figured that enough time had passed since I watched these games and that if I could enjoy its Castlevania themed knock off then maybe there was something in here for me.

I can say that this game wasn't without its moments, its visuals hold up well, impressive sense of scale and strong use of camera angles really sell the grandiosity of Krato's escapades. Can't say that the gameplay itself is as strong, while I do appreciate the blend of traversal, puzzles and brawling being well balanced in a way that most games in the genre choose to ignore it never really got beyond being okay for me.
Despite playing as a sadistic brute there's something off about the combat, even with screen shaking and controller rumbling Krato's blades of chaos feel so weightless and lack that feedback that makes you feel like you're carving up foes, instead it's more like slowly but surely causing spongy foes to bleed out through rapid paper cuts capped off with QTEs that get old fast.

As the game rolls on towards the back end I began feeling oddly more limited in combat with block happy foes complete with often unblockable sweeping attacks meaning that really it's far easier for me to hang back and play the range game chipping away with twirls and flails, it was like longer combos just tended to get interrupted as well so no wonder detractors tend to boil the combat down to that one combo in particular. Oh and the parry is disappointing, it's like the tools were in place for a stronger system but it never quite pulled things off.
However I enjoyed the game most in the middle portion, at this point turning cranks and booting statues all over the shop hadn't quite overstayed its welcome and encounters landed in between mashingly easy and the above issue. Really I'm thinking that God of War 2 is a decent game that doesn't have quite enough butter to spread over its bread (and its a bigger slice than I expected).
Boss battles were pretty solid, just goes to show that there are some Western studios that get it.
Can't say I have any plans to tackle the rest of the series any time soon, Kratos is a dick but well we all knew that already.

Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
A bizarre collaboration of anime shorts and a brief Suda 51 runner game, well for a fiver I was willing to give it a shot.
Actually I've yet to get around to watching those shorts, I just dashed through the hour or so long game side of things last weekend and well, it was simplistically enjoyable I suppose.
Really feels like you're getting the distilled Suda experience crammed into a much smaller timeframe, style, luchadore masks, assassins, you know the drill.
In a sense it's kind of tough to rate, well as I said for a fiver it was worth the run even if it wasn't the longest day, that makes two awful runner gameplay related puns.
Summary: Niche as fuck

Replay: Super Mario 64
A game I've played to death yet haven't properly revisited in a few years. Playing it again now is interesting in that the game could be enjoyable almost entirely on basic movement and character control, Mario is just plain fun to jump around as camera and collision quirks be damned.
Still age sure has punched the level design pretty hard, or perhaps the game structure, or both. Really it's amazing how fast you can power through some stars when you remember everything, it also reveals a fair amount of repetition in objectives be it multiple boss reuse or samey tasks like how many times have I been up Tall Tall Mountain with the smallest twist near the top? more than I should have to.

Don't get me wrong it's still a good game and a great piece of history but those early days of 3D certainly had their growing pains, like how Dire Dire Docks is one of the most tedious water stages in existence and half of Rainbow Ride being a complete slog.
The dated visuals are almost charming in a way, why Big Boo's Haunt is the most drab mansion going, the odd textures and rather abstract geometry is just so unique that when I see things like that SM64 HD project and its cleaned up Bob Omb Battlefield it manages to look worse without the safety net of its early 3D visuals.
Perhaps not unsurprisingly considering my enjoyment of Galaxy 1 and 2 I find the Bowser stages and more focused areas like Tick Tock Clock, Pyramid interior and the non shitty half of Rainbow Ride (you know, with the platforming and no rainbow riding) among the games highlights.

Replay: Donkey Kong 64
Really its amazing how different this game feels coming off SM64 even though it's working off of its base to quite a strong degree. Been even longer since I played this one and unlike SM64 I went in with trepidation as opposed to excitement.
I'm still figuring out my thoughts on it these days, keeping it short for this thread it's a dang mess that's so easy to critique but the drought of collectathons in the last decade plus of gaming plus good ol' nostalgia made this more enjoyable than it had any right to be.
SM64 is the better game but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I enjoyed my time going back through the DK64 shopping list, ah this game is oh so conflicting.

I feel like there's something missing here, on the tip of my mind but maybe that's just an unfinished Dark Souls replay talking.
Maybe I'll get new games again this month.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Broken age act 1 and 2, made me feel stupid in places but I did it without any help.....From my brain. *hang head in shame*

Spent most of the month on pillars of eternity...not close to finishing it.

Haven't had time to play many missions of gta v... Too many stunt jumps to beat.

FZW

XB1:

Ori and the blind forest 9/10
Game of thrones epsiode 3 3/10
Tales from Borderlands Episode 2 8/10
Forza Horizon 2 Fast and Furious 7/10
Pneuma: Breath of Life 7/10
Life is strange Episode 2 9/10
DmC Definitive Edition 8/10

PS4:

Axiom Verge 7/10

Vita:

Shovel Knight 10/10
Killzone Mercenaries 9/10

Not much sadly:

PS4:
Shadow of Mordor

X1:
Far Cry 4
Forza Horizon 2: Fast & Furious.

With drought season coming ahead - should be able to go through my backlog.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Not much sadly:

PS4:
Shadow of Mordor

X1:
Far Cry 4
Forza Horizon 2: Fast & Furious.

With drought season coming ahead - should be able to go through my backlog.

What draught?? Is winter finally coming???

Witcher 3 this month and Arkham Knight next, where's the draught, I can't see the light, when will the madness end???

Oh right...July

South Park: Stick of Truth

I would give it 10/10, except for the abortion mini-game. Going through that makes me want to give it -10/10 for worst design in the history of everything.

illusionary

I started the month by finally clearing the campaigns from a couple of CoD games that I've never got around to (just Black Ops 2 now left), then put some time in against my PS Plus backlog and ended on a high with the Axiom Verge platinum. In fact, this month's completed games were entirely PS4-based.

Majora's Mask 3D should be done very soon as my first game for May.

In all for April, in chronological order:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - campaign beaten on Veteran, all single-player trophies earned
Call of Duty: Ghosts - campaign beaten on Veteran, all single-player trophies earned
Never Alone - with 100% of trophies
Contrast - with 100% of trophies
Axiom Verge - with platinum trophy

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly, NONE as I was too busy participating in NFL mock drafts. Oh well, that all ends tonight and then, it's back to games. :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I beat Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker a few days ago! First game I've beaten since Bayonetta 2 in early January. And that was the first game I've beaten in I don't know how long. Many moons. So I'm on quite the game-beating upswing.

GTA V (Again, PS4 version)
Bloodborne (Phenomenal)
The Order 1886 (Pretty dull, but looks nice and is a super easy platinum)
P4G (Had previously gotten the bad ending, just finish the True Ending)

Embraze

Neo Member
Pretty decent month for me, I enjoyed Child of Light way more than I thought I would. I couldn't put it down until I finished it.

GTA 5 (PC)
Bloodborne (PS4)
Child of Light (XB1)

Battlefield: Hardline - I have so much regret buying this. The campaign is so boring. You basically use the Batman "detective vision" with your phone to tag guys and then walk up on them from behind to arrest them. The end of the game broke for me.
I couldn't read the letter on the desk, so I had to replay the last mission.
I have played about 8 hours of multiplayer and hate the lack of weapons and it feels like a mod for BF4.

BioShock infinite

But I mostly finished it out of spite. Around 5hrs in I realised it wasn't getting any better but I have a thing about finishing what I start so I had to grind through more and more bullshit story and crappy set pieces to get it done. By the end its painfully obvious that they ran out of ideas about halfway through.

Awful, terrible game. And I loved the original.

Currently playing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and it's a mighty effective pallete cleanser.

Bloodborne - One of the best games I have played.
The Order 1886 - Short but enjoyable, I hope the make a sequel.
The Last of Us Remastered - I played through again on hard.

acsn

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PC)
Dead Space 2 (PC)

First time this year I didn't meet my goal of 3 games a month.

mp1990

Banned
-TLOU Remastered
-DKC Tropical Freeze
-Warioware Inc Mega Microgames
-Bastion
-Stealth Inc 2
-Hotline Miami
Pretty nice month for me, i hope that May be even better, already finished one game (Hotline Miami 2)

Miker

Wolfenstein: The New Order

I loved it. I didn't think I would, given how grimdark it looked in screenshots and from marketing, but I'm glad I looked past it and played it for myself. The characters are sympathetic, the villains menacing, and the shooting is rock solid. I'm now properly hyped for the The Old Blood.

Midn1ght

Transistor
Never Alone
The Last of Us : Left Behind
Infamous Second Son

Fun month, can't wait to get those PS+ titles this month. Really want to try Ether One and The Unfinished Swan.

WarioWare: Twisted (Wii U VC)
Child of Light (Wii U)
AVGN Adventures (Wii U)

Not the longest games in the world, but I took a pretty long break on Child of Light. Glad I got some of my backlog out of the way, even if Twisted and AVGN were more recent. Hope to finish Affordable Space Adventures, Fire Emblem, Codename: S.T.E.A.M., and Teslagrad in May. Really want to get back to P3P, Xenogears, and Klonoa: Door to Phantomile as well. So, Klonoa might be a game I beat in May as well if luck comes my way.

Galdius

Just 3 games:

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack

Everything on the N64 and for the first time.
Rogue Squadron is amazing and has aged very well.
Battle for Naboo is good but not as fun as Rogue Squadron.
South Park is not worth playing it alone but may be fun on multiplayer.

I managed to squeeze what little leisure time I could spare into beating Bloodborne this past month. It was an exhilarating experience, undoubtedly my current "Game of the Year" (until Phantom Pain arrives), and I love the eldritch horror twist it takes on the concept as you delve further into its mystery. With my academic obligations finally receding this month, I'm hoping to knock out Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD on the chance I can afford some distraction. I nabbed Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin recently as well; however, I think I'll reserve the adventure for next year if developer From Software isn't able to deliver anything in the near future. Plus, I finished the last-gen "vanilla" release when it debuted so I'm not too keen on diving right back as soon as possible.

tav7623

NES - Batman: The Video Game
Genesis - Castlevania: Bloodlines
PS3 - Strider, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and The Evil Within DLC: The Assignment
PC - Mark of the Ninja, AVGN Adventures
3DS - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

thatJohann

PS4. Nothing. Serious ADHD going on. Buy a game, play for 2 hours, get bored, trade it in, buy another, play for 2 hours, get bored, rinse repeat. :-(

deroli

I finished Guacamelee on Vita. Great mixture of plattforming and fighting, Did not enjoy the boss fights, but the rest of the game was fun. Oh and some of the combos are extremely difficult to pull off with the small face buttons of the vita.

Top Bottom