• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom 2019 |OT| Aug 19, 2019 - Aug 22, 2019 | lass uns nach köln fahren

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm turn off by "anime" artstyle. I bought a game to play original characters not watch an Anime
??? Look the reason I don’t like actors in my games because I personally like original character design more not because the game would feel like a “movie”.

EDMIX

I personally like original character design

I personally like the design of the character, costume, personality, character development etc. What their face looks like in regards to looks just has very little relevance. If an actor does their role extremely well, them looking like....well themselves doesn't really hurt anything. Be like saying Al Pacino movies suck because you can tell its Al Pacino cause it looks like Al Pacino lol The point was for their character they are playing to take over with the performance, so as a film lover, this just doesn't bother me. Give an amazing performance and I'm sold. Too many other things matter more to get so mad at something so small, that is basically 95% of live action films.

Danjin44

I personally like the design of the character, costume, personality, character development etc. What their face looks like in regards to looks just has very little relevance. If an actor does their role extremely well, them looking like....well themselves doesn't really hurt anything. Be like saying Al Pacino movies suck because you can tell its Al Pacino cause it looks like Al Pacino lol The point was for their character they are playing to take over with the performance, so as a film lover, this just doesn't bother me. Give an amazing performance and I'm sold. Too many other things matter more to get so mad at something so small, that is basically 95% of live action films.
If it doesn't bother you then more power to you, but I just don't like it, thats all.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If it doesn't bother you then more power to you, but I just don't like it, thats all.

I"m going to work for Sega and tell them to use real people for Persona 6, be like "My boi Danjin LOVES that stuff, ima call up Cillian Murphy right now and tell him he has the part of 15 year old high schooler Ichi Yuri"

Fbh

Just saw this. Was ok and I do at least appreciate it wasn't all CGI. Not much in terms of exciting new announcements though

Little nice detail: If you look at many of original characters' dub actors in games, tho, 9 on 10 their face is the same, is not uncommon to model the character around its voice actor's one
is not so different, at the end
By the way, I too prefer original characters instead of playing with a Norman Reedus
And I love Reedus, is only that I don't care at all about actors who could enter a game
Is the same with Kiefer Sutherland for Venom, some people freaked out in excitement, I was like " uhm, ok, it's good"

Last edited:

Danjin44

Little nice detail: If you look at many of original characters' dub actors in games, tho, 9 on 10 their face is the same, is not uncommon to model the character around its voice actor's one
By the way, I too prefer original characters instead of playing with a Norman Reedus
And I love Reedus, is only that I don't care at all about actors who could enter a game
Is the same with Kiefer Sutherland for Venom, some people freaked out in excitement, I was like " uhm, ok, it's good"
To me the way I consume games is different than movies, in games I control the character and interact with the world, I need to believe that character is part of that world but when you have scan face of the famous actor as the character I no longer feel that character is part that world instead just actor playing the part. If play Death Stranding I no longer see main character in the game, only thing I see is the guy who played in the Walking Dead and it just takes me out of the experience.

I get this mostly my personal issue and it really has nothing to do with actual quality of the game and most people won't even have issue with it.

EDMIX

To me the way I consume games is different than movies, in games I control the character and interact with the world, I need to believe that character is part of that world but when you have scan face of the famous actor as the character I no longer feel that character is part that world instead just actor playing the part. If play Death Stranding I no longer see main character in the game, only thing I see is the guy who played in the Walking Dead and it just takes me out of the experience.

I get this mostly my personal issue and it really has nothing to do with actual quality of the game and most people won't even have issue with it.

" only thing I see is the guy who played in the Walking Dead " By the same logic when you watch Walking Dead you'd be like " only thing I see is the guy who played in Boondock Saints"

So I say, consume the game no different then you'd understand the actor is playing a different role in a film. You controlling the character has no relevance to that, if you can understand he isn't the same person in Boondock Saints as he is in The Walking Dead, then this isn't that far from a stretch...I mean its literally the same concept, ie actor is playing make believe character. So this just sounds like an exaggeration to a massive degree. It would be like saying when I played Kingdom Hearts I saw Jack as Johnny Depp and it "takes me out of the experience", so I don't know how anyone playing a game differently would cause them to think the actor in the game is the same as in real life, yet not apply this to film....the very medium where that person looks the same 95% of the time..... So you are still watching events of make believe in a film NO DIFFERENT then you are watching events of make believe in a game.

This isn't some massive stretch here. I get you might like one over the other, but I don't think its something that would make someone forget its make believe or anything remotely like that. So that character belongs in that world no different then they'd belong in Boondock Saints or Walking Dead. They are all worlds of make believe, the mediums is irrelevant as the goal of what they are seeking is the same. To act a part that clearly they are not in real life.

Hmm, personal tastes, I can perfectly understand
But I'd give the game a try anyway, If I were you, Koji's games usually have top notch gameplay, like no one else
I'm sure enough after a couple hours, you'll even forget about Reedus

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm interested in Death Standing at a glance, but I just watched all the gameplay vids and I'm not sure what's going on. The story and gameplay seem equally confusing.

EDMIX

1459580-onimusha3kaneshiuro.jpg

BIG FACTS

Danjin44 Danjin44 if the performance is ace, I don't think it should ever matter.

1459580-onimusha3kaneshiuro.jpg

BIG FACTS

Danjin44 Danjin44 if the performance is ace, I don't think it should ever matter.

Awesome performance, too!
And think GTA V, San Andreas, Wolfenstein new series, I could continue forever, the list has no end

There's an artwork where Sam is depicted in two version, the usual one, and...another where is an old man
I feel We'll have a big, big surprise not so long after the First hours lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
When you scan in faces for certain characters you are kinda stuck doing the same for all of them so the art-style matches up.
People are reading way too much into this.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Found this game by random on Youtube- Dark Envoy by Event Horizon looks interesting with Multiplayer

"Inspired by the likes of Divinity and Xcom, Dark Envoy is a procedurally generated tactical RPG with high replayability and a unique angle on multiplayer gameplay."

Tbone3336

Gold Member
The Waylanders, RPG with RTWP Combat-

"The Wayllanders draws inspiration from classic games in the genre like Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Pillars of Eternity "

Helios

Found this game by random on Youtube- Dark Envoy by Event Horizon looks interesting with Multiplayer

"Inspired by the likes of Divinity and Xcom, Dark Envoy is a procedurally generated tactical RPG with high replayability and a unique angle on multiplayer gameplay."

The Waylanders, RPG with RTWP Combat-

"The Wayllanders draws inspiration from classic games in the genre like Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Pillars of Eternity "

They both look really interesting. I'm not a big fan of Waylanders' artstyle but either way, I'm glad we're seeing more CRPGs

Top Bottom