• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Awards 2013

I'm personally not a huge fan of these games that won, but I guess the people who pick awards thought differently. I'm very surprised that Drive Club didn't beat Forza though.

Fnord

MP-focused games are taking over. Sigh...

Thank god there's a ton of awesome indies coming.

That's a fear I have going forward. I'm all about the single player games. I was greatly looking forward to Warhawk on the PS3. Then they announced that it was MP only. I messed with the beta, but never ended up buying it. It's also the reason that I won't be bothering with Titanfall (PC, not getting an X1). Hopefully, the single player experiences will remain strong through this generation, though.

tensuke

Getting tired of Titanfall and Destiny getting louded as the 2nd coming of Christ.

image.php

Titanfall and Destiny don't do it for me, either. Nothing I've seen shouts 'next-gen' or even 'impressive'.

Yeah, I haven't had my hands on it so my view on it might very well change when I do, but I'm just speaking from what I've seen. I know it sounds like I'm a hater when I say it's CoD with mechs, but isn't that what it looks like? The character movements, shooting, art style, environment, all of it reminds me of CoD (and I again, I realize the reasons why). It just feels like the hype is similar to all the fake hype the media builds over each CoD.

Well, it's your opinion, and I'll tell you that it doesn't sound like a hater's opinion to me. You're just giving your honest view of what you think of the game, and, yea, the COD with mechs thing def comes through, but I feel like there's enough there that greatly differentiates it from a COD title. And, yea, you do have to be wary of fake hype, because it is an actual thing, even though I don't think that's what's going on with Titanfall, but it's certainly a thing, and it's happened before. Sometimes, especially with new console launches, sites go crazy over even the most mediocre of projects, and then start telling you what they really thought after enough time has passed.

image.php

Titanfall and Destiny don't do it for me, either. Nothing I've seen shouts 'next-gen' or even 'impressive'.

I think just because it's a new gen, and we obviously expect huge graphical advantages, we need to be careful about undervaluing genuinely incredible looking games with loads of potential simply because we don't think they sport the very cutting edge of unbelievable next gen graphical tech.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
titanfall is a AAA FPS which takes influence from all the games which the big budget end of the genre has forsaken since thumbsticks became central to their design. this, sadly, is all it takes to pull ahead of the pack.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Seriously, exactly how does a FPS MP game not be CoD-esque.. when CoD is itself a FPS MP game.

It's a lame label that means nothing.

Bsigg12

Didn't know Mario Kart 8 was a Wii game...

Ugh...

It's not. Hell, Titanfall won best Xbox game and Destiny won best Playstation game. Does that mean they are on those consoles? No, they just used it as a family branding rather than doing separate awards for each system (i.e. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U).

So, in short, it's a Wii U game.

BadAss2961

Destiny wins because Bungie. Seriously though, It barely had a presence at GC. I don't recall GAF discussing it, I don't recall new footage.

Titanfall had a good showing. But like Destiny, it's obviously being forced to be the next big thing.

Bedlam

Some really weird contradictions with awards for Titanfall and Destiny. It seems they invented as many categories as possible so everyone can plaster their box with award stickers and handed out the awards without rhyme or reason.

Best Role Playing Game:
The Elder Scrolls Online (ZeniMax Germany GmbH)
... yeah... joke-awards, most likely "sponsored".

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Just because the public wasn't able to get hands on with Destiny or Titanfall doesn't mean the award judges weren't.

I will never understand lists like this. I don't know how you can win best in show as a MP game, but then not best MP game or even best next gen game or best game on the platform you are launching on. Actually think Destiny and Titanfall should have been DQ'd from Next Gen award since they both will be playable on current gen hardware. On the platform specific ones I think a platform exclusive should always win the award as well, but that is just me.

So weird. By the way this happens in nearly every award ceremony, no matter the material. Movies, music, etc.

Top Bottom