• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, some people are happy the Vita is going down because of how ridiculous the pricing of the system is and Sony's inability to care about their end user. The memory card thing is absurd and Sony is getting exactly what they deserve, imo. Sony makes horrible business decision after horrible business decision, and it's high time they learned something from their bible of mistakes as of late.

Ridiculous pricing? It's only $50 more than the XL and more powerful than the iPad.

Agent X

Gold Member
Don't forget the 'rumoured' iPad mini as a competing electronic gadget for Christmas time. Personally, I love the Vita and have got heaps of use out of mine, but I think it's totally fucked without a significant price drop, better marketing and included memory card to negate that small 'won't work without an extra purchase' problem. Even then, who knows. The fact it's taken Sony this long to even acknowledge a problem with their marketing and third party support is unbelievable.

I'll be doing my bit in the coming months. Heaps coming out for it that I want :p

I agree completely with what you wrote. I still hope for the best. It's not an unsalvageable situation by any means, but some serious strategic changes need to be implemented.

Question,

Can this device be a sustainable product at the lower rate of sales we are seeing?

That's the important question here, lets try to steer away from "OMG BOOMBER!!, SYSTEM IZ DEAD!!!"

I say yes, there is no reason you can't have a device existing on the market and sold to a niche audience, there is a market for the system albeit a smaller one, the only issue is whether they can continue to support it in terms of software, now Sony themselves I think will continue to do so regardless, even if that means it becomes a porting device for cross buy, then that leaves third parties, now remember how critical we all was with regards to minis and then recently we heard that people were making money in that space, Velocity being a prime example.

We also have Playstation mobile coming this autumn, that should help bolster the system a little, and like I said before I can guarantee companies like Drinkbox have made money on the PV Vita, and others devs can can to.

The point I'm trying to drive home is does the system need to be cut lose because it's not matching it's competitors?, can it be a sustainable 'niche' product?

I don't think it needs to be cut loose.

The first thing that I thought, however, was that if the sales drop dramatically, then Sony could face a very large problem (which others have mentioned) in that retailers won't want to devote shelf space to the system. However, I don't see them pushing the Vita entirely out of store shelves just yet. The Vita section at store would be significantly reduced in size, but I doubt it would completely disappear anytime soon unless Sony officially calls it quits.

PlayStation Mobile is a good idea, and I really hope Sony gets it into full swing very soon. Developers can create games simultaneously for Vita and Android on a "secure" service, which is very appealing. I believe this could be a significant part of the Vita puzzle if Sony plays it smart.

Miles X

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

I don't believe there is anything pushing Vita this Q is there? if so shipments are going to be horrific, like possibly sub 300k.

What can this thing realistically do without a price cut in Q4?

Yes I'll take your advice, back to the official Vita & 3DS threads ........ I'll ignore xxxx sales threads and this console is dying threads in the future ......

Yea these aren't threads to come in and get emotional. They're cold, realist-style conversations. Optimism only enters when there are positive sales trends. Until we see meaningful positive trending (in both sales and image), expect this to be a consistent tone.

I don't believe there is anything pushing Vita this Q is there? if so shipments are going to be horrific, like possibly sub 300k.

What can this thing realistically do without a price cut in Q4?
IIRC, they're banking on the sales of CoD, Assassin's Creed and a couple of others. No price cut coming. We'll see soon enough.

Rich!

Ridiculous pricing? It's only $50 more than the XL and more powerful than the iPad.

Maybe you should take the essential vita memory cards into account.

3DS XL comes with 4GB in the box, and the iPad obviously has storage. The vita's memory cards are expensive, essential to store save games (significant number of games won't even boot without one) and push the investment far higher than "only $50 more".

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Why the hell didn't they just use SD cards like Nintendo? Nobody wants to buy your proprietary bullshit Sony.
It should have had an adequate amount of on board storage to begin with. This isn't 2005, nobody is getting away with the 360 HDD bullshit again. If a lot of the games are going to be distributed digitally, there should be storage built in to accommodate those titles.

maverick40

Open the wallet that has a hole in the bottom? Open the wallet that is already empty?

I wasn't trying to be funny, honestly. But do you think everything is fine with Vita?

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

P.s Dreamcast sales are Japan-only, whereas Vita's are worldwide.

I don't give a shit about sales of the console. I am having an absolute blast with my vita. I have over 15 games for it and the upcoming games are going to be amazing. Yeah it will never have Pokemon or Mario but I don't give a toss. I am over those franchises which I played when I was a little kid. The vita is an incredible piece of tech and is without a doubt worth the price right now. Stop comparing it to the 3ds and how cheap it is and "Teh memory card is too expensive so are teh fools"

It is like comparing the wii to the ps3...exactly.

I honestly taught when I made Neogaf my main forum that I would never read this rubbish again. Yeah the sales are shite, but it is not even out a year!

Some of ye guys should work for Sony because ye know how to magically fix the problem.

Need i remind ye all of when Sony announced the price of the Vita at last years E3. There was tremendous applause and everyone on the internet said well done to Sony. Then the gods gift to gaming that is Nintendo got scared and reduced the price of their handheld and sony became the idiots...SMH

It's a good price relative to technology around it, purely spec-wise. However, the issue isn't the price, it's that nobody wants the product itself. If they did, this price would be doing amazing things for the sales, as you said.

I don't give a shit about sales of the console. I am having an absolute blast with my vita. I have over 15 games for it and the upcoming games are going to be amazing. Yeah it will never have Pokemon or Mario but I don't give a toss. I am over those franchises which I played when I was a little kid. The vita is an incredible piece of tech and is without a doubt worth the price right now. Stop comparing it to the 3ds and how cheap it is and "Teh memory card is too expensive so are teh fools"

I honestly taught when I made Neogaf my main forum that I would never read this rubbish again. Yeah the sales are shite, but it is not even out a year!

Some of ye guys should work for Sony because ye know how to magically fix the problem.

You'll go far.

Never thought I would see a meltdown in a sales thread outside of NPD...

Given that the Vita currently has around 873.186 in sales in Japan (according to Media Create) is it possible that Vita will not pass the Game Cube's ~ 4 million in Japan?

Very.

mace999

Neo Member
Thinking positive thoughts about the Vita won't magically bring it good sales figures and third party support. If you think that NeoGAF is based against the Vita, you really ought to read this thread again, and look at your own biases. The reality is that the system is doing poorly, and there's no indication of a recovery. You are just denying that reality because it suits your agenda.

I don't think Neogaf as a whole is against the Vita, but I also own the 3DS and the 3DS also got these kind of posts in the 1st 6 months to a year too, saying where are the games and it used to bore me back then too .....

I own the Vita, and own 1 game for it, which was in the bundle package .... I know it hasn't got a lot of games, and I'm not happy with Sonys handling of it ..... and the saviour of PS1 games coming soon doesn't do anything for me too, I owned a PS1 and have played and completed all the games that I wanted to play .... I didn't buy a Vita to play 10 year old games .......

It just disappoints me when I see people happy about a console or handheld dying, just cos it's not their favourite .... and I know most people on here are not like that, but there are quite a few .... I just thought Neogaf as a whole were older and pure gamers, but unfortunately there are always some bad apples in the bunch .....

But as I said before I will stick in only the official threads from now on ..... Now back to gaming :)

MYE

Holy meltdown, Batman.

Is this the new "I'm an expert"?

You seem quite upset at the reality the Vita finds itself in. Yelling at a chart and all.

I don't think anyone is going to stop you from enjoying your Vita and your 15 games. Fuck, you're damn near keeping the system afloat by yourself! Keep doing so and enjoying your purchase. I sure as hell would. Continue to do your thing man. Sales threads shouldn't be a place to come in and melt down. If you can't keep an objective head, these threads will end you.

And let's lay off of "teh kidz play mario, i'm too sweet for kiddie games" angle. It makes you seem like a dickhead with a chip on his shoulder. And maybe you are that, but I'm not sure if you want everyone else to think so.

It should have had an adequate amount of on board storage to begin with. This isn't 2005, nobody is getting away with the 360 HDD bullshit again. If a lot of the games are going to be distributed digitally, there should be storage built in to accommodate those titles.

Should have come preinstalled with a 4GB SD card. That's the way the ps3 does it, that's the way the vita should have done it.

It's doubly crazy because the proprietary cards apparently have shitty performance too.

Hello there.

This is a sales thread. In sales threads, we discuss...sales. This includes talking about where companies have gone wrong, what they have done right, and so on.

How much you like your console of choice is irrelevant in such threads, as is your disdain for such threads.

I've added a new step in the stages of a dying system:

Stage one: Games will be announced, those will save it.
Stage two: If only they advertised the damn thing!
Stage three: There's got to be a price cut around the corner, just a few bucks off and we'll get that momentum.
Stage four: The system is so good that it will magically get itself back on its feet. It has to. I believe.
Stage five: All you people with your goddamn NUMBERS and SALES, it makes me sick.
Stage six: SYSTEM-MAKER IS GARBAGE WAAAAHHH.
Stage seven: Did you guys know that replaying this never-expanding game library is really fun?

It just disappoints me when I see people happy about a console or handheld dying, just cos it's not their favourite .... and I know most people on here are not like that, but there are quite a few .... I just thought Neogaf as a whole were older and pure gamers, but unfortunately there are always some bad apples in the bunch .....

Put people on ignore if it bothers you. Just keep in mind that while it's true other people have biases, so do you. I know I have biases, and I make sure to keep them in mind so they don't color my posts.

I don't think Neogaf as a whole is against the Vita, but I also own the 3DS and the 3DS also got these kind of posts in the 1st 6 months to a year too, saying where are the games and it used to bore me back then too .....

I own the Vita, and own 1 game for it, which was in the bundle package .... I know it hasn't got a lot of games, and I'm not happy with Sonys handling of it ..... and the saviour of PS1 games coming soon doesn't do anything for me too, I owned a PS1 and have played and completed all the games that I wanted to play .... I didn't buy a Vita to play 10 year old games .......

But as I said before I will stick in only the official threads from now on ..... Now back to gaming :)

waat

At some point, the price will hit $129 and it'll have damn near the full PSOne/PS2 library on it. It'll be worth purchasing for that alone, regardless of what kind of 3rd party Vita support it has received by that time.

There;s no indication Vita will get PS2 support is there, and the PSP has access to all PS1 games and its cheaper.

Given that the Vita currently has around 873.186 in sales in Japan (according to Media Create) is it possible that Vita will not pass the Game Cube's ~ 4 million in Japan?

Lifetime? I don't believe that's possible.

At some point, the price will hit $129 and it'll have damn near the full PSOne/PS2 library on it. It'll be worth purchasing for that alone, regardless of what kind of 3rd party Vita support it has received by that time.

maverick40

You seem quite upset at the reality the Vita finds itself in. Yelling at a chart and all.

I don't think anyone is going to stop you from enjoying your Vita and your 15 games. Fuck, you're damn near keeping the system afloat by yourself! Keep doing so and enjoying your purchase. I sure as hell would. Continue to do your thing man. Sales threads shouldn't be a place to come in and melt down. If you can't keep an objective head, these threads will end you.

And let's lay off of "teh kidz play mario, i'm too sweet for kiddie games" angle. It makes you seem like a dickhead with a chip on his shoulder. And maybe you are that, but I'm not sure if you want everyone else to think so.

LOL!!

I am not a dickhead and I love Nintendo but I am just sick of the couch economist who think they know more than the hardware developers themselves.

Need i remind ye all of when Sony announced the price of the Vita at last years E3. There was tremendous applause and everyone on the internet said well done to Sony. Then the gods gift to gaming that is Nintendo got scared and reduced the price of their handheld and sony became the idiots...SMH

The price was great because 3ds price sucks, and people did not know how much sony will over charge them for the memory stick yet.

Gaborn

Lifetime? I don't believe that's possible.

Citation needed.

MYE

LOL!!

I am not a dickhead and I love Nintendo but I am just sick of the couch economist who think they know more than the hardware developers themselves.

You got upset over a fucking chart, not a troll post.
The numbers speak for themselves.

Miles X

lol nice Nintendo stealth trolls. Some of these guys really would do a better job than Sony, it wouldn't be hard at this stage.

It's all very well people here rejoicing over the price last year, but it's hard to tell if it's the right price until we see the consumer reaction. Unlike us though Sony had the tools to know if $250 was the right price.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
thread keeps delivering. Some meltdowns are out of this world

I love how some users can see trolling directed at Vita when the exact opposite is happening

Alrus

People going into sales thread just to complain about people discussing sales... It never gets old.

oh mah bad.

so just PSOne games. for some reason I just assumed it would be able to do PS2 games. maybe the hardware isn't powerful enough, but if it is that seems like a no-brainer. I'll read that article. thx.

I bet the Vita can run PS2 games in theory, but perhaps it's just too battery-intensive. If the system ever gets hacked, we'll find out soon enough.

Gaborn

oh mah bad.

so just PSOne games. for some reason I just assumed it would be able to do PS2 games. maybe the hardware isn't powerful enough, but if it is that seems like a no-brainer. I'll read that article. thx.

No problem, just wanted to make sure we were discussing things accurately.

I wonder if Sony is selling the PSVita with a very small profit and is willing to keep it like this despite sales numbers instead of having a price drop and taking a hit for every unit sold.
Maybe they are aware the market is changing for phones and tablets and are willing to just keep selling it to the hardcore and only care for mass market in the long run when they eventually can comfortably do a price drop?

Lebron

LOL!!

It was a number graph simply comparing the sales of other handhelds in the same time frame and the bomb that was the Sega Dreamcast. There isn't anything to know or spin, the system is selling like poo. The general public doesn't care.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About the topic: the numbers are horrible right now, and it's kind of depressing to see a pretty great piece of hardware like the Vita being destroyed by lack of games and asinine marketing / strategic decisions. COD won't do anything, unfortunately. I fear the system could have an horrible Holiday season. Seriously, Vita's situation is something we have never seen probably in modern times, with desperately low numbers everywhere, especially Japan.

Miles X

I wonder if Sony is selling the PSVita with a very small profit and is willing to keep it like this despite sales numbers instead of having a price drop and taking a hit for every unit sold.
Maybe they are aware the market is changing for phones and tablets and are willing to just keep selling it to the hardcore and only care for mass market in the long run when they eventually can comfortably do a price drop?

I'm confused on if they're making a profit or not. I know at launch the words 'loss' were used by Sony in some sense. Anyone clarify?

This is what I had to say in the last page:

Vita needs to branch out to smartphones and tablets.

1. Deliver a flat Dualshock 3 with a Vita smartphone
2. Make the Vita tablet have physical buttons likr the WiiU controller.

Specs should be the same or above Vita handheld, all games need to be compatible with Vita handheld so eventough future gen Vita smartphones/tablets will be stronger, the dedicated handheld will still be able to play them.

Sony's mobile division should know firsthand that the handheld gaming market is shifting towars smartphones and tablets.

It should be feasible for them, whatever happened to that One Sony philosphy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
And this is why you don't get emotionally involved in hardware.

I guess it comes with age and maturity. I learned this lessons harshly after the Dreamcast. At the time it hurt, went through the phases (denial, anger, depression, acceptance etc.), and now I'm a better man for it. :)

These newer gamers, too, shall learn. A friend of mine on twitter reminded me not everyone on GAF is my age (31), so I should forgive the younger folk. ^_^

sakipon

I think this is a possibility. They know how price drops have helped other handhelds and consoles yet still refuse to do it.

LOL!!

I don't favour any of the handhelds or console platforms - I hate them all equally.

That being said, I can imagine that alot of people inside Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo know exactly what problems they have and how to fix them.

But as is often the case in mature organisations taking immediate corrective action is all but impossible due to resources, procedures and core business principles that are already in place.

This hinders rather than help matters when the required actions contradict many of the existing business core values and beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom