• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud23

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

An image could be more powerful than million of words.
That is the reality of Ps vita, nothing more,nothing less.

Even with big titles like AC: Liberation, COD, Madden and NFS I just dont see how these games move hardware to either the causual gamer or the 360/PS3 Gamer who doesnt have a handheld.

All the above games will be released on the console they play with on a regular basis. Why would they drop £200+ a new system for games which they can get for £40 to play on the big screen.

Maybe Sony were just hoping to get all the PS3 owners to buy Vita's but again I just dont see how having the same exact software was ever gonna achieve this.

What is plain madness is that in the West it really does seem like Sony and some of its fans have been banking on COD to be some game changer. Totally got that wrong!!

jmls1121

Banned
Vita might suffer this holidays, Wii U is coming and each new hardware has a "It's new!!" hype. I don't know how to say that but it happen everytime.
Sony will NEEDS to advertise the Vita more than PS3 games for christmas, that'll cost a lot of money and might not be worth it. That's when you know Sony is in a tough situation.
I'm still wishing the Vita to survive because the market needs diversity, and I hope Sony can brought it.

The market already has diversity. Nintendo's primary competition on the handheld market has been iOS devices.

But I agree, it would be nice to have another dedicated gaming handheld on the market.

Wonderswan LTD in Japan is 3.32M (shipment, source CESA)

NGP LTD in Japan is 0.55M (Famitsu)
In US it sold 175K (Sonic Pocket Adventure had an amazing attach rate selling sold 110K)

Does... Does this mean it's selling worse or at least on par with Wonderswan in Japan?!

I'm surprised those so called technology experts/journalists have not penned the same kinda articles we saw about the 3ds being doomed and how the price cut meant Nintendo was in trouble and there was no way back for the 3ds with smartphones and the vita on the horizon. They should be queuing up to lay into Sony right now.

^ this surprises me too, I am system agnostic, love my Vita & 3DS, not beacuse I want to see the Vita fail, just fair is fair... It really shows how bias the enthusiast press is towards Sony & iOS.

mace999

Neo Member
I really don't understand some gamers, gleefully rubbing their hands as they think the Vita is going down !?
I don't go to gamefaqs or other sites cos it's full of fanboys cheering one handhold or the other, I came to Neogaf cos I thought it was just gamers, who love games .....
I own every console and every handheld, why would I want or be happy if one failed, the Vita brings things that the 3DS doesn't and can't do, just the same as 3DS has things the Vita can't do .....
Aren't we all gamers !?!? Surely the more choice we have the better, why is anyone happy that a handheld or console is struggling ......

Soul_Pie

They just have to full on agressive with the price drop, marketing and get a bunch of their big first party developers behind it big time otherwise the Vita will fall off the face of the earth. The thing needs shelf space and a presence, I think some stores over here in Australia aren't even stocking the things. Those sales are abysmal.

Either that or you cut your losses and give up on it and change the focus entirely from portables to the cellphone scene with playstation mobile.

I really don't understand some gamers, gleefully rubbing their hands as they think the Vita is going down !?
I don't go to gamefaqs or other sites cos it's full of fanboys cheering one handhold or the other, I came to Neogaf cos I thought it was just gamers, who love games .....
I own every console and every handheld, why would I want or be happy if one failed, the Vita brings things that the 3DS doesn't and can't do, just the same as 3DS has things the Vita can't do .....
Aren't we all gamers !?!? Surely the more choice we have the better, why is anyone happy that a handheld or console is struggling ......

? who the hell is happy?

iammeiam

I wonder if 3DS stayed at 250. Would things be different today?

PSP would be stronger in Japan, I think. 3DS would have seen a sales uptick when the big titles were announced regardless, and sales would have stabilized somewhat higher than before but not where they are now. Capcom might have put out a MHP3G on PSP, maybe made a Vita up-port. Vita's numbers wouldn't be better, but they'd look better compared to the theoretical weaker 3DS.

They are hell bent on aiming the Vita @ tech heads.

I actually believe that this is one of the major mistakes that has been made with the Vita to target it at "tech heads".

"Tech heads" probably already have a PS360. If like the rest of the broader market, they're getting tired of the current generation. Purchasing fewer titles due to the state of the economy and the shrinking number of genres and titles. This has been caused by publishers becoming more and more risk adverse as development costs have rocketed this generation.

So what does Sony decide to do with it's new handheld?

They decide to make it "more of the same" with performance and software that people have already tired of on home consoles. Doh!

Touch input is already long in the tooth and has already been explored at length by the DS and smarthphones and tablets. The vivid OLED display has been around for a while on high end smartphones.

At least the 3DS had the 3D gimmick to generate interest but the Vita has less than nothing.

Home consoles have already "been there and done that" when it comes to the Vita's bag of software tricks, so "tech heads" are staying away because they know it's just more of the same.

Sony would have had more success aiming the Vita at DS / Wii / Apple users with more casual titles than going for the tiny niche of "core" users that aren't yet bored with current home consoles.

It's like Sony only know one demographic to market to since the PS1 and they're determined to do things the same way again and again even though the world has moved on without them.

PSP would be stronger in Japan, I think. 3DS would have seen a sales uptick when the big titles were announced regardless, and sales would have stabilized somewhat higher than before but not where they are now. Capcom might have put out a MHP3G on PSP, maybe made a Vita up-port. Vita's numbers wouldn't be better, but they'd look better compared to the theoretical weaker 3DS.

MH3G and MH4 have been under development since December 2010, so way before 3DS was launched in the market.

There are many people who own the system who are pissed off about how Sony basically allowed the thing to be on life support at best right now.

Also people, Monster Hunter is not going to Vita baring Nintendo suddenly cancelling the 3DS. The game is based on local coop meaning it's not going to be on 2 handhelds at once which would damage the connectivity which makes the games so huge. Also Capcom has no reason to make a Vita MH game right now.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

yeah I was expecially thinking about MH. Surely we would have seen some PSP/Vita ports had 3DS kept struggling because of high price, even though it's not sure since Nintendo must have secured quite the contract

it's ok man, where did you read such posts?

Fantastic piece of hardware but everything seems be against it.

Price is fair but too high for a handheld (and Sony can't easily reduce it without losing tons of money), marketing and public awareness have been terrible/non-existent, not enough must have titles shown so far, not enough support due to lack of confidence in software sales on Sony's handhelds (and now hardware sales as well), etc.

The thing is great, but Sony's going to have to do some crazy magic to turn this around because 2.2 Million worldwide is just terrible and it's going to scare publishers away big time.

Tough battle ahead for them.

solarus

I just hope that when sony leaves the vita to die sometime next year and sales of it stop, someone will hack the shit out of this thing so that I have some use from it like the original psp. Could be a godly emulating machine.

yeah I was expecially thinking about MH. Surely we would have seen some PSP/Vita ports had 3DS kept struggling because of high price, even though it's not sure since Nintendo must have secured quite the contract

Again, Capcom started to develop both MH3G and MH4 on 3DS 3 months before 3DS was released in Japan, so way before it was selling below expectations.

There are many people who own the system who are pissed off about how Sony basically allowed the thing to be on life support at best right now.

Honestly, I still find it hard to understand how anyone who witnessed the Monster Hunter/TGS debacle last September could have purchased Vita under the confident assumption that third-party support would be vastly better than things have actually turned out thus far. But that's just me.

iammeiam

Again, Capcom started to develop both MH3G and MH4 on 3DS 3 months before 3DS was released in Japan, so way before it was selling below expectations.

I'm not saying they wouldn't have happened, more that a lagging 3DS may have pushed Capcom to test the Vita waters after releasing TriG. MHP3G on PSP would be major profit regardless, and a Vita up-port would let them feel out the Vita market. Splitting the userbase is bad, but I'm not convinced Capcom would have stuck their giant franchise as 3DS only if the 3DS were still underperforming. I have to think that even after MH4 development started, they had some kind of plan B in case things went wrong.

Actually MHP3rd HD was probably going to be a Vita launch title remember guys? That list that leaked everything heading into TGS last year? It seems Nintendo managed to convince Capcom to cancel it. Either that or Sony completely fucked up (perhaps SCEA's meddling in MHP3rd HD's western release) which led to Capcom cancelling it. Either way it seems MHP3rd HD Vita existed at some point.

I just hope that when sony leaves the vita to die sometime next year and sales of it stop, someone will hack the shit out of this thing so that I have some use from it like the original psp. Could be a godly emulating machine.

If vita really died, i hope there will be a dream-cast emulator on it.
Hell sony should ask sega to support dreamcast emulator for sony. $10 to 15 per game :D

why do you guys gotta go and make the dreamcast look even worse? let the dreamcast go! :(

that's not a pretty picture for the vita. that thing needs a relaunch, badly.

Anyone expecting the vita to take off in the west is out of their minds.

This holiday season is going to be all about new smartphones and tablets. Gaming mindshare will be capped by Halo 4, CoD and Assaassins Creed.

Wonder of they will do another forecast revision in the next quarter review or wait until calendar q4 is over.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Question,

Can this device be a sustainable product at the lower rate of sales we are seeing?

That's the important question here, lets try to steer away from "OMG BOOMBER!!, SYSTEM IZ DEAD!!!"

I say yes, there is no reason you can't have a device existing on the market and sold to a niche audience, there is a market for the system albeit a smaller one, the only issue is whether they can continue to support it in terms of software, now Sony themselves I think will continue to do so regardless, even if that means it becomes a porting device for cross buy, then that leaves third parties, now remember how critical we all was with regards to minis and then recently we heard that people were making money in that space, Velocity being a prime example.

We also have Playstation mobile coming this autumn, that should help bolster the system a little, and like I said before I can guarantee companies like Drinkbox have made money on the PV Vita, and others devs can can to.

The point I'm trying to drive home is does the system need to be cut lose because it's not matching it's competitors?, can it be a sustainable 'niche' product?

Haliela

Thought about trading mine in... looked at the value. It's worth like $60. Definitely going to try and craigslist it more than likely to see if anyone will buy the thing.

maverick40

it's ok man, where did you read such posts?

There is a Vita/Sony is doomed thread daily on Neogaf. It is becoming worse than other gaming sites TBH.

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm surprised how well 3DS is selling. I was one of the doomsayers that predicted it wouldn't sell at all because of smartphones.

Question,

Can this device be a sustainable product at the lower rate of sales we are seeing?

That's the important question here, lets try to steer away from "OMG BOOMBER!!, SYSTEM IZ DEAD!!!"

I say yes, there is no reason you can't have a device existing on the market and sold to a niche audience, there is a market for the system albeit a smaller one, the only issue is whether they can continue to support it in terms of software, now Sony themselves I think will continue to do so regardless, even if that means it becomes a porting device for cross buy, then that leaves third parties, now remember how critical we all was with regards to minis and then recently we heard that people were making money in that space, Velocity being a prime example.

We also have Playstation mobile coming this autumn, that should help bolster the system a little, and like I can guarantee companies like Drinkbox have made money on the PV Vita.

The point I'm trying to drive home is does the system need to be cut lose because it's not matching it's competitors?

No, it cannot be a sustainable device on these kind of sales because retailers will remove it from the shelves to put things that actually sell decently. You realize Sony has to go through manufacturing, marketing, storage, etc. All of these things will contribute to losses if Vita continues to sell like this. It would make 0 financial sense to support a product selling this badly.

There is a Vita/Sony is doomed thread daily on Neogaf. It is becoming worse than other gaming sites TBH.

It's about to drop behind the dreamcast.

SkylineRKR

I'm surprised how well 3DS is selling. I was one of the doomsayers that predicted it wouldn't sell at all because of smartphones.

Its mainly selling gangbusters in Japan. Outside of that, its numbers are not all that awesome. Even with KH and NSMB2 it still shouldn't outsell the ancient Ps3 and 360 in the west. And I think this is due to the smartphone gaming becoming increasingly popular in the west. It especially hurts Vita as that device is very expensive and doesn't differentiate with something like dual screens.

Question,

We also have Playstation mobile coming this autumn, that should help bolster the system a little, and like I said before I can guarantee companies like Drinkbox have made money on the PV Vita, and others devs can can to.

The point I'm trying to drive home is does the system need to be cut lose because it's not matching it's competitors?

Poor sales = no retail support. This complicates things.

You're either left with buying direct from Sony or e-retailers that Sony has convinced should warehouse the product.

If retail support falls, all 3rd party support is gone. That leaves you with only the indie and first party scene.

Its a downward spiral.

maverick40

No, it cannot be a sustainable device on these kind of sales because retailers will remove it from the shelves to put things that actually sell decently. You realize Sony has to go through manufacturing, marketing, storage, etc. All of these things will contribute to losses if Vita continues to sell like this. It would make 0 financial sense to support a product selling this badly.

A $50 price drop won't be the saviour trust me. Sony need to open their wallet and start begging for the 3rd party publishers to make some orignial content for it. Final Fantasy VII remake exclusive to VITA......BELIEVE

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Very true. I love my Vita and want success also. I will buy as many games as I can like NFS and AC3 but in terms of being around with sustainable sales, that remains to be seen. This is a little too early to be getting into life support mode though.

We need to see Sony relaunch this thing with that rumored redesign or cheapening (bad wording, I know). Then when the price is right (149USD~), I think it can compete. Especially since it will have a solid portfolio by this time next year. It needs a price drop.

The system is definitely worth it and I use it everyday for browsing on 3G but in the current market conditions, the price has to be attractive. The HW itself is amazing and the content has been good (not great) thus far. Things can improve but they can't retain that pricing like they did with PSP years ago.

Taurus

A $50 price drop won't be the saviour trust me. Sony need to open their wallet and start begging for the 3rd party publishers to make some orignial content for it. Final Fantasy VII remake exclusive to VITA......BELIEVE
Open the wallet that has a hole in the bottom? Open the wallet that is already empty?

Funny guy,well done buddy.
I wasn't trying to be funny, honestly. But do you think everything is fine with Vita?

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

P.s Dreamcast sales are Japan-only, whereas Vita's are worldwide.

All the people asking Sony to moneyhat has to realize that if they start beggining for content now the games won't show up for at least another year well after the system is buried. No, either Sony has support they aren't showing and there is stuff in the works, or the thing is not going to make it. Moneyhatting is what they should have been doing last year before the system launched

P.s Dreamcast sales are Japan-only, whereas Vita's are worldwide.

WAIT HOLY SHIT! I've been looking at that thinking it was WW Dreamcast sales which would still be awful, but not ...... Jesus Christ, that's fucking horrible.

Mr Swine

Banned
All the people asking Sony to moneyhat has to realize that if they start beggining for content now the games won't show up for at least another year well after the system is buried. No, either Sony has support they aren't showing and there is stuff in the works, or the thing is not going to make it. Moneyhatting is what they should have been doing last year before the system launched

WAIT HOLY SHIT! I've been looking at that thinking it was WW Dreamcast sales which would still be awful, but not ...... Jesus Christ, that's fucking horrible.

Sony is kinda stupid if they have third party software and not showing them. Why not show everything they have for Vita for this last months and the coming months in 2013?

I don't necessarily want Vita to fail, but I was a huge SEGA fan back in the day, and after the initial pain of their demise wore off, I realized everyday was Christmas because Dreamcast games/accessories were like 90% off. So there's that.

Sylver

Banned
Sad numbers. Let's see how Project Diva works in Japan, but I doubt this save this system. iOs games have killed handheld market, 3DS sure do well in all regions but nobody really cares those systems in west, and looking mostly loli moe and huge tits japanese games in east, neither does. Videogame future is awful with facebook, f2p and mobile phone games. I hope some day this bubble explodes.

mace999

Neo Member
Good job Nintendo were not afraid to take serious action to turn things around.

Which was cutting the price by $50 pissing off real fans and early adopters, then when they had a year of that, then they changed the system to a bigger screen, pissing off the early adopters and the people who had waited for the pay cut ..... Which enraged quite a few people on here ..... damned if you do, damned if you dont

Well to be fair, the 3DS didn't sell until the price was slashed and they rushed out Mario to kick start demand.

Unfortunately the Vita's price is likely to remain static for this year and Sony don't really have any mass market friendly titles that they can wheel out at short notice.

I think pretty much the only thing that is going to save the Vita is if Sony somehow stumbles on something new with broad appeal that can be developed quickly.

But then Sony needs the guts to make it a Vita exclusive, to force people to buy the platform.

The original GameBoy had Tetris, the DS had Brain Training and Nintendogs. The Vita needs something huge like those casual friendly like those titles or realistically it's all over in less than 24 months from launch.

I really wonder how much that market affects dedicated handhelds. People say it a lot, that it's a big deal and it's changed everything, but it's got to be really tough to factor into a serious analysis.

How many people who previously bought a dedicated handheld would now never consider buying one because their smartphone is enough? How many people still keep the two mentally separated and wouldn't mind buying both, for whatever reason - exclusives, lower price, better quality of gameplay due to buttons? That's what we need to know.

But nobody can provide that number, we just keep believing that it's making a "big impact" without specifics.

3DS is tracking above DS. Some say that's a bad thing because it should be doing way better than DS at this point, but what level should it be at, considering its price misstep and still-growing library of games, which cannot be blamed on smartphones?

At what point will we know exactly how much phones have affected the market? Do we even know if they're having a major effect on Vita's sales?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

So it's over then?, the PS Vita in your humble opinion is officially dead?

And why does it make zero fincincal sense selling the product at it's current rate?, do we have inside finical figures here? We know the system was much cheaper in terms of R&D compared to the PSP due to the off the shelve components used, the system has already been developed now, I would argue even at it's current rate of sales it would be more financially unwise to ditch an already developed product, 2.2 million x at least $250s and then memory cards and accessories, that is a fair whack of money anyway you cut it and you'd be silly to give that up, in hind site maybe yes, but not now the product is out it's a much needed revenue stream even at it's current level.

And I don't see retailers ditching the product tbh, they will just support it less at a lower stock intake, as long as there are people buying the device it will be on shelves, retailers have all manner of devices for sale that come nowhere near the PS Vita in terms of sales, they don't ditch all these products, you just don't stock them as well.

Which was cutting the price by $50 pissing off real fans and early adopters, then when they had a year of that, then they changed the system to a bigger screen, pissing off the early adopters and the people who had waited for the pay cut ..... Which enraged quite a few people on here ..... damned if you do, damned if you dont

Really? I didn't see much anger at all. All consoles/handhelds get price drops and revisions now so if you're an early adopter that is really something you should expect.

Also nintendo are in a far better position now so it isn't 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' because this action clearly had an upside for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom