• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Bottom line, they can't compete with their completely hacked system that plays every PSP, PS1, and prior system with a new locked down game system that does not do those things. Then charge over $300 (when u consider memory card, tax, etc) for the privilege. I wouldn't ever leave my PSP-2000 for a Vita right now. My PSP-2000 has infinitely more gaming capability right now.

The day Vita gets hacked like PSP is the day sales pick up.
.... and loose all their third support.

ffdgh

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

.....That isn't a pretty sight.

To all the naysayers, we'll meet here again next year. ;) I expect it will do quite well in the holiday period, and Liberation will sell quite a few systems - I never before had a youtube clip get more than 10.000 views in a few days, even though it was blurry as heck. I reckon 250 euro is still too expensive even with Liberation, LBP or CoD included to start shifting serious numbers, but I think they'll be at 4-6 million at its first birthday in the West. Games like Most Wanted will also continue to show what the system can do, and if that game gets cross-play, that wil be interesting.

But the device is sound, there are a lot of great games out already and plenty more coming, and I'm sure Sony is willing to play the long game. As far as I am concerned, with regards to Monster Hunter 4, I bet it is only a question whether the Vita will get the same version as the 3DS or a version closer to the HD consoles (compare to the first lego game released for both). Don't forget that the Vita has 6x the memory of the 3DSand comes with dual analog by default.

The system will keep getting games, and by the time it hits mass market prices that combined with excellent controls and new features Sony will keep bringing to the device will make it an attractive enough proposition. Hopefully they can improve the memorycard proposition. If they can't make their proprietary cards cheaper and faster, I think they will have no choice but to do a redesign with CF somehow.

@BigDug13: I have two PSP 1ks (one launch unit) and since the Vita they haven't been touched for games except for making a few comparison shots. Even for PSP games its a vastly superior device.

liger05

Even if it sold 2,2 mln Sony can wait. It's not like Nintendo will release any console in few years that will come close to Vita hardware. Also it's not like it was moneyhog to design this. Most of equipment is 3rd party.

Is Sony making any money on each Vita ? If yes then they can wait building slowly good software, making upgrades to vita OS and trying to cut price.

I had few handhelds dozen phones and yet Vita is the best gaming handheld ever hardware wise. People just need few good games like tearaway or MH and some price drop.

I think the last 7 years has taught us that Nintendo don't need to release anything close to the vita hardware to win the fight. I think it's safe to say Nintendo would be pretty stupid to join some hardware handheld race when they don't have too.

Limanima

Has been any marketing for the thing?
Around here I don't remember seeing a single commercial for months. This needs advertising and a price cut urgently.

gogogow

@BigDug13: I have two PSP 1ks (one launch unit) and since the Vita they haven't been touched for games except for making a few comparison shots. Even for PSP games its a vastly superior device.

It is not. For someone who has a lot of UMDs from different regions, the Vita is a nightmare. You have to rebuy all of them (IF they are available in the PSN store) and they might or might not work on the Vita. And everytime you want to play a game from region x, you have to reformat the Vita card (unless there's a workaround). That's far from "superior". If someone enjoys a lot of PSP games, there's no reason to invest in a Vita now. And there's also nothing superior for having to buy the same game twice.

SkylineRKR

Vita does less than a PSP, thats a major problem. One feature will be here in a few days, but should've been there since launch.

And you still won't be able to play any BBS or CC on it.

.... and loose all their third support.

Yeah but I think Sony's losing them anyway. The Vita software sales don't really outperform the PSP software sales, and the Vita isn't even being hacked yet.

thuway

I think Sony is playing it safe and for the moment it sucks. However, I think in the future it will pay off. A massively redesigned Vita with a 4gb memory card, Uncharted, a PSN title, and a $179 price point is the ticket.

Mark my words, Vita will be like the PS3. The slim plus price drop.

Erethian

I think Sony is playing it safe and for the moment it sucks. However, I think in the future it will pay off. A massively redesigned Vita with a 4gb memory card, Uncharted, a PSN title, and a $179 price point is the ticket.

Mark my words, Vita will be like the PS3. The slim plus price drop.

Yep, it's all part of their master plan.

To all the naysayers, we'll meet here again next year. ;) I expect it will do quite well in the holiday period, and Liberation will sell quite a few systems - I never before had a youtube clip get more than 10.000 views in a few days, even though it was blurry as heck. I reckon 250 euro is still too expensive even with Liberation, LBP or CoD included to start shifting serious numbers, but I think they'll be at 4-6 million at its first birthday in the West. Games like Most Wanted will also continue to show what the system can do, and if that game gets cross-play, that wil be interesting.

But the device is sound, there are a lot of great games out already and plenty more coming, and I'm sure Sony is willing to play the long game. As far as I am concerned, with regards to Monster Hunter 4, I bet it is only a question whether the Vita will get the same version as the 3DS or a version closer to the HD consoles (compare to the first lego game released for both). Don't forget that the Vita has 6x the memory of the 3DSand comes with dual analog by default.

The system will keep getting games, and by the time it hits mass market prices that combined with excellent controls and new features Sony will keep bringing to the device will make it an attractive enough proposition. Hopefully they can improve the memorycard proposition. If they can't make their proprietary cards cheaper and faster, I think they will have no choice but to do a redesign with CF somehow.

Because now Youtube views are directly correlated with actual sales? Watching a video online is free, buying Liberation along with the hardware is not.

The main problem is that all those titles may be great, but they will be released in a bad period; Liberation the same day as III, Call of Duty during the same period of Black Ops 2; furthermore, Little Big Planet is not a strong IP and Madden is well established on PS360. And with such price, who's going to buy Vita just for games that can be mainly played on console people already have (even though many of them are not the same games, but still)? Moreover, there are no "plenty more games coming". Just look at the line-up.

As for Capcom, the question is actually whether Vita will get Monster Hunter, not which one. And honest question: why should Capcom fragment the userbase that is growing nicely on 3DS? In Japan, 3G shipped 1.6mln units, which is basically 2x Vita sales. Monster Hunter 4 could be a very big hit, around 2.5-3mln units, strengthening the franchise on 3DS; and for a game that puts so much emphasis on local co-op, being on just one platform is the most reasonable thing.

SkylineRKR

Its a Ps3 with not even half the support and consumer interest, in a market thats less viable to begin with.

The Vita is no Ps3, the Vita is a device sadly no one really cares about. Console and online games are being played on the console, typical handheld games are being offered on 3DS.

I have a Vita and I don't care that much about handheld gaming, but if I did I would've replaced it for a 3DS long ago. There is a constant stream of good handheld games appearing on that system.

Jawmuncher

From what Capcom posted on the forums they don't plan on actually making anything for the vita. Just porting other stuff to it.

Mr Swine

Banned
I believe that Sony will have a decent Xmas with vita this year. If they are lucky they can sell 1-1.5 million vitas worldwide at Xmas. Is it too high or?

I believe that Sony will have a decent Xmas with vita this year. If they are lucky they can sell 1-1.5 million vitas worldwide at Xmas. Is it too high or?

No idea, but I do think people are underestimating the holiday season when it comes to new technology, most of the time I hold off on purchases like that until Christmas time.

It's going to be interesting either way this holiday season with the Vita though... that's the time I think we can actually gauging how bad the situation is. The whole industry is tanking at the moment ... doesn't help.

Bumhead

Banned

Do you have any basis for that thought that Sony will have a good Christmas with the Vita?

Not having a dig by any means, by the way, I'm just genuinely curious. Personally I'm not sure the Vita truly has enough stand out titles for the holiday season, and I still think the price could be prohibitive. With the Wii U coming out I can see that dominating the market and mindshare for the audience of people looking to buy new gaming hardware this year, and if the Wii U doesn't take off (which is a possibility also) then the 3DS seems to continue going from strength to strength, with the likes of Mario, Layton and new hardware providing a pretty compelling end of year strategy.

That said, I think 1.5 million units for Christmas is ambitious, and I think the Vita is in danger of being swamped out of the Christmas market by new Nintendo hardware and Nintendo's existing handheld. But like I say, that's just my opinion. I'm not trashing the system's prospects. I'm just curious as to how people see this Christmas playing out considering there's a resurgent handheld, a handheld with its first Christmas and new console hardware all competing for the same custom.

Log4Girlz

Vita should have been the dedicated handheld version of a major Sony tablet or phone. Man did they drop the ball...into the center of the earth that's how far they dropped it. Shame, such a fucking sexy system. They will need some serious big titles and a great marketing campaign AND a price drop to revitalize the system.

To all the naysayers, we'll meet here again next year. ;) I expect it will do quite well in the holiday period

I think goal posts need to be established for this sort of thing.

How much is good enough for the Vita this holiday season? What makes it not one of the worst selling consumer electronic gaming-dedicated devices to come from a major manufacturer in recent memory?

Sony's own internal projections put that number at ten million. I think we can all agree that is crazy and whoever made those projections is either lying or incompetent. What holiday bump, then, does the Vita need in order to "show those naysayers" that think 2.2 million is shockingly low? Six million total, maybe? Stop me when I get somewhere that makes sense for this.

At some point, isn't there a logical argument to be made that it's not entirely about price, games, or advertisements and the mass market simply does not care about Sony handhelds that much?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Do you have any basis for that thought that Sony will have a good Christmas with the Vita?

Not having a dig by any means, by the way, I'm just genuinely curious. Personally I'm not sure the Vita truly has enough stand out titles for the holiday season, and I still think the price could be prohibitive. With the Wii U coming out I can see that dominating the market and mindshare for the audience of people looking to buy new gaming hardware this year, and if the Wii U doesn't take off (which is a possibility also) then the 3DS seems to continue going from strength to strength, with the likes of Mario, Layton and new hardware providing a pretty compelling end of year strategy.

That said, I think 1.5 million units for Christmas is ambitious, and I think the Vita is in danger of being swamped out of the Christmas market by new Nintendo hardware and Nintendo's existing handheld. But like I say, that's just my opinion. I'm not trashing the system's prospects. I'm just curious as to how people see this Christmas playing out considering there's a resurgent handheld, a handheld with its first Christmas and new console hardware all competing for the same custom.
Don't forget the 'rumoured' iPad mini as a competing electronic gadget for Christmas time. Personally, I love the Vita and have got heaps of use out of mine, but I think it's totally fucked without a significant price drop, better marketing and included memory card to negate that small 'won't work without an extra purchase' problem. Even then, who knows. The fact it's taken Sony this long to even acknowledge a problem with their marketing and third party support is unbelievable.

I'll be doing my bit in the coming months. Heaps coming out for it that I want :p

This is the most dire situation any Sony gaming platform has ever encountered. Even the PS3 with its enormous price at least had very strong mind share left over by the PS2 and full 3rd party backing. Vita doesn't have a competitive price and lacks games, both from 3rd and 1st party studios.

The situation should be cristaly clear after the Holiday. Unless there's a bump after the Assassin's Creed and CoD and Vita reaches a critical mass that will allow Sony to push for stronger 3rd party backing (along with a price cut promise) I'm not sure how will they be able to create a sustainable platform. And even if they do get 3rd party support, it's still going to be a bunch of ports. Getting original and exclusive content is going to be very hard.

DSN2K

Thanks for noticing my mistake! I was looking at the quarter before, which was 0.9m.

If anyone has better Dreamcast figures. It's the worst comparison since it was on the market in Japan alone for basically 1 year.

PSP also got almost a 1 year difference between Japan and Europe, but it at least had NA in-between.

Anyway:

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

Wow, mothafuckin' DREAMCAST tier. This is the new level of bomba

OMEGA BOMBA

ouch i thought things were bad but thats shocking

I feel like I knew right from the start the Vita was doomed, but I still bought one anyway. I guess I just felt I could get enough out of it to justify my purchase before it died out.

It's a shame, because I think it's a really neat piece of hardware. It's already got some nice games available, but it's just not enough these days for most people.

I really hope Sony gives it a solid lineup in 2013, so that of it dies an early death I got a handful of other fun games on it. I'm already pretty excited to get Little Big Planet and Need for Speed on it this fall.

Cheech

I am curious to see what kind of bump this thing gets in Europe and Japan this holiday.

In the USA, this thing is going to be getting blown out after Christmas along with Furby and John Carter toys. I can go out right now and pick up a Vita First Edition Bundle. The fact it hasn't come close to cracking a million here is not at all surprising.

The iPad mini is going to have more preorders entered on the first day it's announced than the Vita will EVER sell here. If Sony is right and they need to pander more to the juvenile market, I have bad news for them. The 3DS sales haven't been all that hot either, because those kids are gravitating toward $200 Android tabs, iPads, and Touches.

However, let's pretend that none of those devices exist, and the Vita has no competition to speak of. What Vita games are actually going to be available to service the juvenile market? Opening a Vita along with LBP Karts would be the 2012 equivalent of being the Sega Master System kid in a sea of NES neighbors back in 1987.

Dead system walking, folks.

SkylineRKR

This is the most dire situation any Sony gaming platform has ever encountered. Even the PS3 with its enormous price at least had very strong mind share left over by the PS2 and full 3rd party backing. Vita doesn't have a competitive price and lacks games, both from 3rd and 1st party studios.

The situation should be cristaly clear after the Holiday. Unless there's a bump after the Assassin's Creed and CoD and Vita reaches a critical mass that will allow Sony to push for stronger 3rd party backing (along with a price cut promise) I'm not sure how will they be able to create a sustainable platform. And even if they do get 3rd party support, it's still going to be a bunch of ports. Getting original and exclusive content is going to be very hard.

CoD Vita seems like a waste thats going to end up like Wii and DS versions. AC looks good, but I really doubt many consumers are going to care for it. Surely the console versions will sell, but they will also steal the limelight.

I'd say that the Vita will ofcourse see a bump during the holiday period, but it will still be in last place. Perhaps losing out to even the Wii.

Things I think Sony should have done with the Vita:

1. They should have made it a phone, maybe along the lines of the Xperia play or a different slider design which can be easily pocketed. Is it not possible that a PS Phone (complete with the usual smartphone functionality) could have the same graphical/processing capabilities as the Vita has right now and still have a respectable battery life? They've had the Xperia Play. I really think they should have improved on it.

2. They should have changed their strategy completely when it comes to games. Console ports/cross play is fine but people will always buy handhelds for games that are exclusive to the handheld and are suited for the portable gaming experience. This should have been their primary strategy in terms of software.

3. PS1 support and PS Mobile (for android-like / indie games) should have been present from the start. These types of games are what most casual audiences look for in terms of smartphone gaming. With PS Mobile games and big Vita exclusives, Sony could have covered both the core and casual audience.

4. They should done anything to secure Monster Hunter exclusivity.

5. Lastly and in relation to number one, they should have had the word "phone" in the device's name. Playstation Phone/PS Phone would definitely send the message that the device is both a phone and a Playstation (capable gaming device).

Ollie Pooch

Things I think Sony should have done with the Vita:

1. They should have made it a phone, maybe along the lines of the Xperia play or a different slider design which can be easily pocketed. Is it not possible that a PS Phone (complete with the usual smartphone functionality) could have the same graphical/processing capabilities as the Vita has right now and still have a respectable battery life?
I have an Xperia S, it's a fantastic phone but there's no way it could run Vita/PSP games and last more than an hour or so. Just having the screen on, browsing on wifi and watching videos, you can watch the battery level drop, fast. Obviously a bigger phone/battery could help, but the bigger screen would sap battery life too. I don't think a Vita Phone is a viable or realistic option at all.

I never understand why people suggest it, actually - what benefit would being a phone give to the system? Aside from leveraging access to Android games, which people would probably pirate, all it would do is offer shitty battery life and be in direct competition with every other over-hyped Android phone out there.

Making a PS Vita phone limits your audience to people who have phones but are not happy with them and want one that is also a mostly-dedicated gaming machine instead of iPhones or Droids.

Not arguing that there's less than 2.2 million of these people, but not by a whole lot.

Making a PS Vita phone limits your audience to people who have phones but are not happy with them and want one that is also a mostly-dedicated gaming machine instead of iPhones or Droids.

Not arguing that there's less than 2.2 million of these people, but not by a whole lot.

I think convergence is key here. If most people don't want dedicated gaming portable devices, might as well cover the smartphone crowd as well.

I think convergence is key here. If most people don't want dedicated gaming portable devices, might as well cover the smartphone crowd as well.

Maybe there should have been a phone version of the Vita to cover those bases, but betting the entire product on it would not have been particularly more fruitful.

Speaking personally, I own a Vita but fuck if I'm giving up my iPhone for it or spending $500 for one out of contract.

Cheech

Not a chance. Sony doesn't slash prices and give shit away.

I'm sure you'll see a price drop in January/February, but I bet it's $50.

It won't be Sony doing it. It will be big box retailers who simply won't be re-ordering any, and want to get Vita off their shelves.

My local big box stores like Target and Meijer already allocate the bare minimum, least visible space for Vita. It's the same location previously occupied by the PSP Go before it was also terminated.

When I picture Sony USA having internal Vita discussions, I see a table full of apes with hands over their mouth, ears, and eyes. They are profoundly clueless as to the realities of the market.

Sony's marketing team should take note of this

penelope-cruz-3ds.jpg

vid-beyoncead.jpg

nicole_kidman_ds.jpg

0.jpg

It works!

Marketing a system for 20something year old tech-head bros doesnt

Sony and same of its fans wouldnt accept that kinda marketing!! They are hell bent on aiming the Vita @ tech heads.

The causal gamer who they need to get on board doesnt care about that sexy OLED screen.

Celine

Just out of curiosity, how is the Vita performing in Japan as compared to the Wonderswan/Color?

How about worldwide compared to the Neo Geo Pocket?
Wonderswan LTD in Japan is 3.32M (shipment, source CESA)

NGP LTD in Japan is 0.55M (Famitsu)
In US it sold 175K (Sonic Pocket Adventure had an amazing attach rate selling sold 110K)

I don't know but you also have to remember Wii U comes too before holiday so if given a choice some may prefer that over the Vita. I know it's console vs handheld but still, if money is a factor and you only have one option...

If it wasn't really possible to go all powerful and be a smartphone at the same time, I really think they should have ditched the current design and opted for a more portable one, like a slider or a clamshell. Something that you can actually put in your pocket. I know an article about saving the Vita mentioned this several months ago and I really agree.

Ollie Pooch

If it wasn't really possible to go all powerful and be a smartphone at the same time, I really think they should have ditched the current design and opted for a more portable one, like a slider or a clamshell. Something that you can actually put in your pocket. I know an article about saving the Vita mentioned this several months ago and I really agree.
Yeah, well there are plenty of other what-ifs - and I completely agree that if the high-power design isn't viable, it shouldn't have been done in the first place. When you look at stores selling them for A$350+ here, you have to wonder if anyone is buying them at all. (Presumably no)

jmls1121

Banned
Am I wrong but does the Vita have a chance of being the worst performing hardware by a major gaming company in the industry's history? The only thing that may be worse in the end is Saturn's mid 90's failures and Atari. Am I wrong here?

Kouriozan

Vita might suffer this holidays, Wii U is coming and each new hardware has a "It's new!!" hype. I don't know how to say that but it happen everytime.
Sony will NEEDS to advertise the Vita more than PS3 games for christmas, that'll cost a lot of money and might not be worth it. That's when you know Sony is in a tough situation.
I'm still wishing the Vita to survive because the market needs diversity, and I hope Sony can brought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom