• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazoo

the most terrifying thing about this s that the trajectory of the vita indicates it will sell less than the dreamcast is things dont change. jesus.

As someone said, the worldwide sales of Vita are now at the level of Japan-only dreamcast sales.

shink

I'd love to see the Australian sales numbers. Probably about 100 by now. The majority of retailers still don't stock the Vita at all; seems Sony just gave the fuck up before it even launched.

I'm thinking some retailers didn't want to stock it in the first place. $350/$430 AUD would be a hard sell in a place like Big W/Kmart/Target. IF it's still alive and there is a price drop, maybe we'll start seeing the cheaper retailers stock it.

Rich!

Smartphones eating Sony & Nintendo's lunch is delicious.

Dedicated handhelds are so 20th century!

The day im forced to use shitty, non responsive touch screen controls to play a game like Mario is the day I quit gaming.

I have an iPhone with a good amount of games on it, but it really is no where near the level of a dedicated handheld.

As much as I love my Vita, one cannot deny the situation SONY is in. While many people complained about the Vita's price, I personally think that it's the proprietary memory cards that's the real issue at hand. They need to phase that out and allow 3rd party to support it.

Not to mention the crowning jewel of the PSP "Monster Hunter" has shifted to the competitor that not only has the majority of the fanbase last-gen but has the best selling handheld franchise in it's system, from Mario to Zelda to Nintendogs and POKEMON now MH is part of it's even more diverse and attractive library.

Sony's real issue isn't the Vita nor the competing mobile market, it's the support. There hasn't been a bigger scar in SONY's handheld than the departure of the ONLY franchise that's consistently giving it value. Hopefully CAPCOM will give a surprise and announche MH4 for the Vita and I can guarantee there would be a spike in sales. Personally, I believe the Vita could've shifted it's tide had COD: Declassified actually turned out to be a respectable port. And there goes the one card from obtaining the "Royal Flush". (Nihilistic, really?)

Now SONY is trying to last ditch effort by introducing brand new IP's from respected developers, which is something to be truly commended for considering their situation. I highly doubt SONY is counting this as a failure as it may have given them "some" profit, it just may not surpass it's predecessor in the handheld market.

And yes, they should really get the PS1 support as quickly as possible. I don't give a damn if I have to update my Vita every month if it means getting new items at the PSN store. I really wish they can pull though with the holiday season.

pixelbox

As someone said, the worldwide sales of Vita are now at the level of Japan-only dreamcast sales.
Marketing simply needs to change, simple as that. The holiday will be very telling indeed. Now that the supposed software will arrive this winter, what will it do?

pixelbox

As much as I love my Vita, one cannot deny the situation SONY is in. While many people complained about the Vita's price, I personally think that it's the proprietary memory cards that's the real issue at hand. They need to phase that out and allow 3rd party to support it.

Not to mention the crowning jewel of the PSP "Monster Hunter" has shifted to the competitor that not only has the majority of the fanbase last-gen but has the best selling handheld franchise in it's system, from Mario to Zelda to Nintendogs and POKEMON now MH is part of it's even more diverse and attractive library.

Sony's real issue isn't the Vita nor the competing mobile market, it's the support. There hasn't been a bigger scar in SONY's handheld than the departure of the ONLY franchise that's consistently giving it value. Hopefully CAPCOM will give a surprise and announche MH4 for the Vita and I can guarantee there would be a spike in sales. Personally, I believe the Vita could've shifted it's tide had COD: Declassified actually turned out to be a respectable port. And there goes the one card from obtaining the "Royal Flush". (Nihilistic, really?)

Now SONY is trying to last ditch effort by introducing brand new IP's from respected developers, which is something to be truly commended for considering their situation. I highly doubt SONY is counting this as a failure as it may have given them "some" profit, it just may not surpass it's predecessor in the handheld market.

And yes, they should really get the PS1 support as quickly as possible. I don't give a damn if I have to update my Vita every month if it means getting new items at the PSN store. I really wish they can pull though with the holiday season.
Nintendo's bread maker is jp right now. Monster hunter wont work outside JP. And the memory cards are part of the issue. Software will help a bit but their marketing... And 250 + 50 dollar memory card is just not attractive.

I'm a huge Sony fan, but I think they need to get the hell out of the handheld side of gaming. Sony isn't even a big enough player to keep Nintendo honest. They have no shot against them. The Vita R and D cost and the developers should have been spent on the PS4. The 50 million dollar marketing budget should have been tacked on to the PS4 marketing budget.

Thanks for noticing my mistake! I was looking at the quarter before, which was 0.9m.

If anyone has better Dreamcast figures. It's the worst comparison since it was on the market in Japan alone for basically 1 year.

PSP also got almost a 1 year difference between Japan and Europe, but it at least had NA in-between.

Anyway:

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png
The Vita is like the Yamcha of handhelds.

damn

I'd love to see the Australian sales numbers. Probably about 100 by now. The majority of retailers still don't stock the Vita at all; seems Sony just gave the fuck up before it even launched.

I'm thinking some retailers didn't want to stock it in the first place. $350/$430 AUD would be a hard sell in a place like Big W/Kmart/Target. IF it's still alive and there is a price drop, maybe we'll start seeing the cheaper retailers stock it.

I haven't seen a console this poorly represented over here since the gamecube. You would be lucky to even find someone who has heard of the vita let alone bought one.

Nintendo has the triple threat of Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon. The West may take a while, but it'll eventually fall to Nintendo's stronger franchises.

Personally i think pokemon is on a whole other level when it comes to selling HW (even if mario ends up selling more software). That's nintendos real big game and i still think it has a lot more potential. Still though the question is how much will they boost the 3DS? It won't be anywhere near to the levels of the original DS imo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Sony realized their core userbase was not made of 5 million people who would buy a PS3 at $599 with no game.

Today Vita figures make them realize it's worse than that, and that they need to target an expanded audience.

If PS4 is only a PS3 with next gen graphics, Sony will realize their core audience can't sustain the platform again.

Far more worrying than Vita is what Sony will do to sell the PS4 to an expanded audience. It will need its kinect/Gamepad, something made from the start for a mass market. I have the feeling reusing Move or dual shock controllers will lead them to another big disappointment.

Metallix87

By the way, do you even have a vita? You've been on and on in every doom and gloom thread. What's your objective?

I have a Vita, five retail games, several downloadable titles, and even sold a bunch of my PSP retail games just to buy the PSN versions and enjoy the OLED.

I'm just pissed that Sony is looking to let this device die, and in turn, make my investment an absolute waste.

Kazerei

Banned
CLassic neogaf Response. Not only was the Dreamcast cheaper, it was released in a better economy and didnt have 5 competitors at arrival. Yeah its bad numbers, but lets wait until the heavy hitters arrive this holiday before we write it off. If those games cant sell it then it really needs a price drop. If Sony drops the price before the heavy hitters and they still cant sell it, it needs to be advertised. Theres a market for it, but everything needs to be in place. But Sony play it smart with off shelf parts. Let the tablets and phones drop the price for the vita, and the could make phones and tablets with vitas chips and still sell vita games with those lines.

I guess I'll bite.

Price: Dreamcast launched at 29,800 yen, same as the PS Vita 3G+WiFi model. Sega did cut the price down to 19,900 yen in June of 1999, which greatly increased the rate of sales. A price cut could help the PS Vita too, but Sony doesn't seem to be planning to do that until next year.

Economy: The videogame market is bigger now than in 1998/99.

Competition: The PS1 and N64 were at their peaks when Dreamcast launched in November 1998. Ocarina of Time came out the week before. And then Final Fantasy VIII came out February 1999.

I wonder if Sony actually undershot on hardware. I think their only play in the market (I've long been on record as saying the thing has no reason to be) was to try and convince western publishers that Vita would be an easy third leg of the stool. You're already making PS360 games, why not port to Vita? Super easy! A third platform to spread the costs onto, etc, blah blah...

Well the problem with this (Cross Buy) is that they are asking developers to make a PSVita version that will be sold for much less, without little incentive on their part. I can only see Cross Buy being supported by first party teams and some of the big studios (EA).

CLassic neogaf Response. Not only was the Dreamcast cheaper, it was released in a better economy and didnt have 5 competitors at arrival. Yeah its bad numbers, but lets wait until the heavy hitters arrive this holiday before we write it off. If those games cant sell it then it really needs a price drop. If Sony drops the price before the heavy hitters and they still cant sell it, it needs to be advertised. Theres a market for it, but everything needs to be in place. But Sony play it smart with off shelf parts. Let the tablets and phones drop the price for the vita, and the could make phones and tablets with vitas chips and still sell vita games with those lines.
Either that, or he has been in character for 7 years.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=150

Oh damn...

Monster hunter wont work outside JP.

But that's the whole point. With a MH JP, you can bet that the current sales would have a signifcant boost for the sales tally. Since SONY will play the numbers game for their investors a 3 - 4 million marketshare would look far less disastrous then the current situation.

pixelbox

Nintendo has the triple threat of Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon. The West may take a while, but it'll eventually fall to Nintendo's stronger franchises.
This is true. And another Thing, with that being said the mobile market cant take that away. There's just no way touchscreen games could replace them. Meaning there's a market for them, and will always be. Handhelds will just evolve into multimedia devices, which is what the vita is. Price and marketing needs a change and as long as there's a market, things can b turned around.

This announcement is a real shame. Sony really needed to advertise this better, hell only a couple of weeks ago did I realize that the Vita was released.

After ditching console gaming and burnt out of Nintendo's Pokemon series did I recently start looking into Sony's own handheld market. I really want a PSP or a Vita but looking at how things are going atm I might just get a PSP due to a larger game library or a 3DS for guarunteed growth, meh.

pixelbox

I have a Vita, five retail games, several downloadable titles, and even sold a bunch of my PSP retail games just to buy the PSN versions and enjoy the OLED.

I'm just pissed that Sony is looking to let this device die, and in turn, make my investment an absolute waste.
I see...Well that makes sense. Im pissed too but theres just little that can be done.

Retargeting Vita advertising to kids won't do anything for the sales.

The Vita line up doesn't even attract traditional console owners as the numbers prove.

Kids are likely to be even less interested, none of the Vita titles have broad appeal.

Hero

Those numbers are absolutely abysmal and quite telling of the situation that not only the Vita but Sony is in. At this point it might literally be impossible for the Vita to get out of this situation without some major intervention. For starters it would need a huge price cut, bundled memory card but most importantly relevant games. Sony can only make two of those happen overnight. Yeah, Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty are coming but honestly, if you were remotely interested in either of those franchises I doubt you're going to plunk down 300 dollars to play a handheld version of those games when most people already own a 360 or PS3 that want that kind of experience.

Sony is in deep trouble here, I'm not sure what can be done. To cut the price heavily would mean to take losses that I'm not sure they can afford right now. To pull the plug on the system is to lose confidence from their fans and third parties. Neither situation is favorable for them.

If the PS4 is truly going to launch in 2013 I don't see Sony throwing a whole lot more support at the Vita since they'll be focusing their efforts to make sure they don't wind up in the same position with the current console outcome. It says a lot when they can't even get Naughty Dog to make a game for their new platform.

Some peopel were saying that the Vita was totatlly justifiable at its price. Clearly that is not the case.

$199 and I'll buy 1. $150 and I'll buy 2.

$299 for a videogame only handheld with no games? El-o-el.

pixelbox

I guess I'll bite.

Price: Dreamcast launched at 29,800 yen, same as the PS Vita 3G+WiFi model. Sega did cut the price down to 19,900 yen in June of 1999, which greatly increased the rate of sales. A price cut could help the PS Vita too, but Sony doesn't seem to be planning to do that until next year.

Economy: The videogame market is bigger now than in 1998/99.

Competition: The PS1 and N64 were at their peaks when Dreamcast launched in November 1998. Ocarina of Time came out the week before. And then Final Fantasy VIII came out February 1999.
Th economy is at a much different state for every thing now and in 99 it was at a decline. I can say the vita has to fend off iphone, ipads, 3ds, and androids. And as for the price drop, i just dont believe him.

Rand6

How can they target younger audiences with that price (250$+ memory card)? I mean, you can't say that and saying just after that Vita is not going to have a price drop.

I'm still going to buy one regardless of the price this fall, but still...

the most terrifying thing about this s that the trajectory of the vita indicates it will sell less than the dreamcast is things dont change. jesus.

Yes, indeed. I don't know how Sony will do to correct that.

spats

Tragic. The Vita is the best dedicated handheld system ever made and it deserves much, much better, but I really don't see things changing.

ohlawd

I see...Well that makes sense. Im pissed too but theres just little that can be done.
I don't see why having a Vita or not is even relevant.

Whatever happens now and to the future of the Vita affects both current owners and potential consumers like myself.

edit: weird typo...

This is true. And another Thing, with that being said the mobile market cant take that away. There's just no way touchscreen games could replace them. Meaning there's a market for them, and will always be. Handhelds will just evolve into multimedia devices, which is what the vita is. Price and marketing needs a change and as long as there's a market, things can b turned around.

Really? I actually think pokemon is one of the games that could quite easily be done with a touch screen. The multiplayer in particular would probably even benefit from it.

Edit: In fact pokemon games are already making pretty good use of the touch screen.

By the way, do you even have a vita? You've been on and on in every doom and gloom thread. What's your objective?

I don't and i'm in all these threads. I like discussing sales numbers and owning the consoles isn't a pre requisite to joining in on that discussion

pixelbox

Tragic. The Vita is the best dedicated handheld system ever made and it deserves much, much better, but I really don't see things changing.
They need marketing, price drop, and great dedicated games like tearaway. When the chips shrink, they be able to make vita phone which i thnk it needs. And make a vita tablet. Have three lines, mini(vita), full(tablet), and phone. that rebranding could save it.

pixelbox

Really? I actually think pokemon is one of the games that could quite easily be done with a touch screen. The multiplayer in particular would probably even benefit from it.

Edit: In fact pokemon games are already making pretty good use of the touch screen.

I don't and i'm in all these threads. I like discussing sales numbers and owning the consoles isn't a pre requisite to joining in on that discussion
It could be looked as trolling, you know. People want a discussion, not lol dem sales lolol. As long as we can all have a discussion its all fair.

They need marketing, price drop, and great dedicated games like tearaway.

Tearaway looks like a great games and when i get my vita it will be one of the first games i get. However i question how much of an impact it is going to have. Sure they need as many quality exclusive games as they can get but they also need some real heavy hitters.

It could be looked as trolling, you know. People want a discussion, not lol dem sales lolol. As long as we can all have a discussion its all fair.

How could it be seen as trolling? This is a thread discussing sales, what does owning the console have to do with it? Trying to undermine peoples opinions by questioning their motivations is the opposite of promoting discussion. No one in here is posting anything like 'lol dem sales lolol' and i would put forward that the people who are actually interested in sales are the ones putting the most thought into their posts in threads like these.

pixelbox

Tearaway looks like a great games and when i get my vita it will be one of the first games i get. However i question how much of an impact it is going to have. Sure they need as many quality exclusive games as they can get but they also need some real heavy hitters.
Probably not much. But it is an important game as its a demonstrator of ways the vita could be used. And as i hate to admit it the vita needs existing IPs to establish itself as well.
edit: I made a comment earlier and all i got was "is this serious". Vita needs games is a typical response from neogaf, theres more to it. the economy is very different and using after market chips was one of the few smarter things sony has done. The response i got was "is this serious".

Hybrid897

I'm really hoping the vita picks up and becomes similar to what the psp was for Japanese games. I'm glad to see Falcom/Atlus are supporting it and plan to pick up Ys4/ZnK evolution/P4G, however the system needs its heavy hitters.

I'm assuming the vita will get a Monster Hunter, I can't imagine Sony not striking some sort of deal with capcom to push vita sales.

3rd gen : MHTri(Wii) -> MHP3rd(PSP) -> MH3G(3DS)

So I presume it'll go something like this

4th gen : MH4(3DS) -> MHP4th(PSVita) -> (?_?)

The proprietary memory format really needs to go though, its an obvious cash grab that only increases the initial investment into the console.

I'd also like a new Patapon, I could actually see myself using the back touch panel for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom