• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

liger05

Vita the best dedicated handheld ever? Hardware is only as good as the software and at this current time I really fail to see how the vita can be called the best handheld ever.

Metallix87

I'm really hoping the vita picks up and becomes similar to what the psp was for Japanese games. I'm glad to see Falcom/Atlus are supporting it and plan to pick up Ys4/ZnK evolution/P4G, however the system needs its heavy hitters.

I'm assuming the vita will get a Monster Hunter, I can't imagine Sony not striking some sort of deal with capcom to push vita sales.

3rd gen : MHTri(Wii) -> MHP3rd(PSP) -> MH3G(3DS)

So I presume it'll go something like this

4th gen : MH4(3DS) -> MHP4th(PSVita) -> (?_?)

The proprietary memory format really needs to go though, its an obvious cash grab that only increases the initial investment into the console.

I'd also like a new Patapon, I could actually see myself using the back touch panel for it.

Wishful thinking, my friend.

Also, Atlus is seemingly backing the 3DS, and Falcom has even announced their intention to "branch out". The only exclusive devs the Vita still has, aside from first party, are Nippon Ichi and Gust.

I'm really hoping the vita picks up and becomes similar to what the psp was for Japanese games. I'm glad to see Falcom/Atlus are supporting it and plan to pick up Ys4/ZnK evolution/P4G, however the system needs its heavy hitters.

That ship has long since sailed.

I'm assuming the vita will get a Monster Hunter, I can't imagine Sony not striking some sort of deal with capcom to push vita sales.

What reason is there to think that? It doesn't sound like sonys relationsip with capcom is all that good at the moment and it's not like vitas sales will make them think twice.

Dalthien

LMAO, thx I didn't know this parody!
More on subject : Vita needs to sell at least 3M next quarter IMO.

Considering Vita sold ~150k worldwide in July, and August doesn't look much different - I'm going to say that they're going to fall a bit short of 3M this quarter (July-Sept).

And if you meant the holiday quarter (Oct-Dec), then 3M would be very poor and would leave them FAR short of their 8M forecast for the year (revised down from 10M).

Hybrid897

That ship has long since sailed.
I honestly don't think so, as there has been a few titles that show some promise recently, I'm hoping there's a good Vita showing at TGS(new/not remakes) if it ends up being like how E3 was for the Vita, I'll be more inclined to agree with you.

Also I'm hoping SMT4 on the 3DS is in the same vein as Strange Journey, I find those types to use the dual screen very well, however if it was more similar to SMT3 I'd be more concerned for the lack of a vita version.

Sony put quite a bit of effort into the launch line up then proceeded to have a 4-5 month gap of nothing.You would think they would know how to market the Vita correctly, especially considering the 3DS ran into the exact same problem less than a year earlier.

Though I guess I am optimistic : )

I honestly don't think so, as there has been a few titles that show some promise recently, I'm hoping there's a good Vita showing at TGS(new/not remakes) if it ends up being like how E3 was for the Vita, I'll be more inclined to agree with you.

Also I'm hoping SMT4 on the 3DS is in the same vein as Strange Journey, I find those types to use the dual screen very well, however if it was more similar to SMT3 I'd be more concerned for the lack of a vita version.

Sony put quite a bit of effort into the launch line up then proceeded to have a 4-5 month gap of nothing.You would think they would know how to market the Vita correctly, especially considering the 3DS ran into the exact same problem less than a year earlier.

Though I guess I am optimistic : )

The vita may well improve its position in the market and get some decent support. I just can't see a situtation where it gets anywhere near the same level of support as the PSP. Don't forget that in Japan the PSP has basically sold as well as the PS2 and that's why it has gotten so much support. That isn't happening for the vita.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought even worse sales lol.
Vita the best dedicated handheld ever? Hardware is only as good as the software and at this current time I really fail to see how the vita can be called the best handheld ever.

Vita is not the best dedicated handheld ever?
Hardware: tell me which other dedicated handheld has better hardware please.
Software: How can someone even think to say that a seven months old handheld is or is not the best ever?

In any case you are free to not like the lineup of vita, but:
1)vita has already a lot of very good games and some rare gems, and soon other very promising games will arrive
2)your(mine, anyone) tastes are not universal, only because you don't like a lineup doesn't mean that the lineup isn't good ;)

3rd gen : MHTri(Wii) -> MHP3rd(PSP) -> MH3G(3DS)

So I presume it'll go something like this

4th gen : MH4(3DS) -> MHP4th(PSVita) -> (?_?)

The proprietary memory format really needs to go though, its an obvious cash grab that only increases the initial investment into the console.

I'd also like a new Patapon, I could actually see myself using the back touch panel for it.

Atlus and Falcom stuffs are not enough. PSP had also Namco Bandai, Square Enix and Konami developing important titles of their famouse IPs. Furthermore, Atlus is producing way more on 3DS, where it's establishing a nice userbase, while Falcom stated it's interested in expanding one of its series on 3DS.

As for Monster Hunter, if 4 is linked to some sort of agreement with Nintendo (which is likely), Capcom should develop a Monster Hunter for Vita from scratch, as it did with Portable 3rd, despite not having a safe userbase to rely on.

I think Vita will get a MH Freedom game.

The most important question is: when? Given MH4 is going to be launched in Spring 2013, will Capcom launch a MH for Vita before that period? I don't know, they can still exploit 3G sales with the budget version. And if Vita will receive a MH after 4 on 3DS, will MH fans be willing to shift hardware again?

This combined with no price drop in the foreseeable future...I have been officially talked out of buying a PSV.

I was flamed before when I said I was a huge PSP follower and the PSV is going to fail. The same reason I love the PSP weren't carried forward. :-/

I also said that Homebrew didn't hurt the PSP as much as people seem to think.

sajj316

Is it possible to add a Shocking to the thread title? After going through months and months of similar threads where a good bit of you said you wouldn't buy a Vita because of x, y, and z ... does this really surprise you?

I think after Christmas, most that really want the Vita will have already purchased or received as a gift. I don't see a price cut for the Vita until March of 2013. The bundles will sell hardware. COD (even with said developer) will sell hardware as will ACL. Soul Sacrifice will sell hardware in Japan. I expect more announcements at TGS.

The most important question is: when? Given MH4 is going to be launched in Spring 2013, will Capcom launch a MH for Vita before that period? I don't know, they can still exploit 3G sales with the budget version. And if Vita will receive a MH after 4 on 3DS, will MH fans be willing to shift hardware again?

Sony would be very stupid if MH didnot come out before or at the same as the 3DS game. This is one 3rd party game they need to secure.

I imagine it will come out in Spring 2013 combined with a pricecut(as Sony said they wont be doing it this year).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think Vita will get a MH Freedom game.

Everyone knows that Monster Hunter and FFVIIR are coming to Vita.

Sony would be very stupid if MH didnot come out before or at the same as the 3DS game. This is one 3rd party game they need to secure.

I imagine it will come out in Spring 2013 combined with a pricecut(as Sony said they wont be doing it this year).

Oh boy, that's better.

If sony don't cut the price by then i have to wonder if the vita will even survive on the market. It needs a price drop a long time before then to spur sales. Also sony needing something isn't actually a reason for it to magically happen. I have no doubt sony would love that scenario to be true but i see no indication that it is even a possibility.

Sony was very stupid to begin with, when it did nothing to secure the IP on its platforms. Now MH userbase is shifting fast on 3DS (3G is already at 1.5mln units sold, 1.6mln units shipped, basically 2x Vita sales so far), and given that 4 is coming on 3DS as well, I don't see the point for Capcom to fragmenting the IP even more.

So do you really think Capcom will release two MH on two different handheld in the same period? That would be really stupid.

Interesting change. From 'the PSVita will appeal to existing PS3 owners aged 18-25' to 'we ignored the younger market'.

Outside of Tearaway, nothing else at Gamescom appeals to the younger market. Wonderbook and Puppeteer really should be on the PSVita in some form, a huge omission especially considering these recent remarks.

What third party developers are going to produce games that fit this audience? Outside of the big studios like EA, who will be willing to create a new IP exclusively for the PSVita when it's easier and more cost effective to create something for 3DS.

Hero

Ignoring the fact that you think somehow Capcom has another development team working on a secret MH title for Vita...
Why do you think Capcom would release a Monster Hunter game on the Vita before/around the same time as the new one on 3DS that they've been building towards for over a year now?

You also realize that even if this magical unicorn MH Vita game were to come out and have a 100% attach-rate with the Vita it wouldn't even sell a million units, right?

The Vita might eventually get a MH title given that it's Capcom. But it's not coming out before the 3DS game.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would expect anything else after we saw how 3DS struggled in the west [and how it and PSP monopolized the Japan]

TheContact

I think it was stupid of them to not have FFX be a release game seeing as they announced it so damn early. That's why I personally haven't got a vita yet

Outside of Tearaway, nothing else at Gamescom appeals to the younger market. Wonderbook and Puppeteer really should be on the PSVita in some form, a huge omission especially considering these recent remarks.

I just don't see tearaway doing much to appeal to a younger audience and if parents are looking to get their kids a game/console i struggle to see it making the list. Game looks fantastic but i get the feeling its impact will be minimal.

I think it was stupid of them to not have FFX be a release game seeing as they announced it so damn early. That's why I personally haven't got a vita yet
A FFX HD remaster wouldn't have done anything for the Vita except for a 1 week sales bump in Japan.

HoodWinked

sony's strategy to market towards the lucrative /sarcasm

rich teenage demographic wasnt the greatest decision.

needs more blue ocean strat

Card Boy

Banned
Not really understanding what impact Tearaway will have on younger audiences.

-Bad name
-Doesn't look exciting
-Looks like hipster wank

Also it isn't trending at all on youtube and other social media. I trust the public and myself more than Gaf.

Ignoring the fact that you think somehow Capcom has another development team working on a secret MH title for Vita...
Why do you think Capcom would release a Monster Hunter game on the Vita before/around the same time as the new one on 3DS that they've been building towards for over a year now?

You also realize that even if this magical unicorn MH Vita game were to come out and have a 100% attach-rate with the Vita it wouldn't even sell a million units, right?

The Vita might eventually get a MH title given that it's Capcom. But it's not coming out before the 3DS game.

MH3G was announced right before TGS11 and came out 4 months later. I'm sure there will be a Vita MH at TGS.

gogogow

Erm....they went and released the Vita without securing a MH game. Why do you think they can or even have the money to secure one now? It's better for Sony to fully back Soul Sacrifice at this point and try to make it into the next big thing, at least for Japan.

Zaventem

Just start porting every PS3 exclusive so it can have a portable version.Japan also likes rpgs.We need that on PSV also.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm still getting a white one this fall, regardless of it's ultimate fate. Lots of games I'm interested in, and maybe, sometime in the future, it will be cracked and make for a great homebrew machine.

Erdem

Banned
I'm not touching Vita until it has all the "essentials" for me, those being full experiences of GT, Killzone and Motorstorm(RC doesn't cut) which were the reasons I got a PS3. Basically they have to deliver console quality on the go and not some iOS/Android'esque games or Wii type shovelware.

I got my PSP's worth only a few years after, and I'm not doing the same with Vita again.

liger05

I thought even worse sales lol.

Vita is not the best dedicated handheld ever?
Hardware: tell me which other dedicated handheld has better hardware please.
Software: How can someone even think to say that a seven months old handheld is or is not the best ever?

In any case you are free to not like the lineup of vita, but:
1)vita has already a lot of very good games and some rare gems, and soon other very promising games will arrive
2)your(mine, anyone) tastes are not universal, only because you don't like a lineup doesn't mean that the lineup isn't good ;)

That's my point after 7 months how can anyone claim its the best handheld simply based on hardware.

MH3G was announced right before TGS11 and came out 4 months later. I'm sure there will be a Vita MH at TGS.

Capcom won't release any Monster Hunter on Vita, except if it's a cheap and late port.

Capcom only ported Monster Hunter on PSP because the alternative (porting it to DS) was not possible because of the specs of the DS. With 3DS they don't have this problem anymore. For Capcom, Sony consoles is the last possible option, when all the alternatives are not duable.

Perkel

Banned
Even if it sold 2,2 mln Sony can wait. It's not like Nintendo will release any console in few years that will come close to Vita hardware. Also it's not like it was moneyhog to design this. Most of equipment is 3rd party.

Is Sony making any money on each Vita ? If yes then they can wait building slowly good software, making upgrades to vita OS and trying to cut price.

I had few handhelds dozen phones and yet Vita is the best gaming handheld ever hardware wise. People just need few good games like tearaway or MH and some price drop.

BigDug13

Bottom line, they can't compete with their completely hacked system that plays every PSP, PS1, and prior system with a new locked down game system that does not do those things. Then charge over $300 (when u consider memory card, tax, etc) for the privilege. I wouldn't ever leave my PSP-2000 for a Vita right now. My PSP-2000 has infinitely more gaming capability right now.

The day Vita gets hacked like PSP is the day sales pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom