• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

I'm losing my mind here

This company deserves to be ridiculed on the Vita handling

Now they go, oh it didn't sell because we didn't target the younger audience sector... WAT?!?

No, you fucking ass clowns, you get goodwill from gamers for a great starting price for the Vita at $249.99
Then you turn around and lose all that due to proprietary memory cards with exorbitant prices, fucking 4GB for $14.99-$19.99, come the fuck on, 1 Uncharted Demo, you eat up close to 3GB+
Then you take PS3 titles, shrink them down and ask for $40 for titles
Some PSN titles transform into retail titles and get marked up $27 (Hi2u Dungeon Hunter)
No video-out for fuck's sake

You say you've learned from the mistakes from the PSP, yet you are still doing the same things and even worse... How is that even fucking possible?
The online store where content needs to delivered at a constant rate is worse than the PSP/PS2/PSX output... fucking ridiculous
You announce shit, make broken promises, and everything that will make the Vita stand out is TBA/TBD in the future

I'm getting tired

I have to agree. There is no defense regarding their handling of the Vita, and the 'not aiming at younger audiences' line directly contradicts the fact that they belittled that audience (3ds is a babysitter) and the price that no one in said younger audience is reasonably going to have.

But then, Sony isn't really good with excuses, what with rumble being last gen and all. That one was so genius I shat brain matter.

Goddamn, what a shame. I really hope Sony steps it up like they did with the PSP, because the Vita has so much potential.

They really have to lower the price of it or give away a free memory card or something, because the entry price for the Vita is absolutely ridiculous.

Miles X

I wish we got more interesting tell-all books and articles about the behind the scenes goings on in the games industry--I'd like to know if the Vita's currentdeath in Japan was cemented when Sony found out they'd lost MH. It sort of feels like they'd banked heavily on being able to rely on MH to carry Japan so they could try to make the Vita relevant in the West. US and Europe didn't respond well, and they lost MH, so they wound up being fucked globally and have yet to find a way to compensate.

Sales are bad enough at this point that it might actually be tough for a breakout handheld sensation to actually break out on Vita. Userbase may be too small to build up real substantial buzz without a massive fluke.

I'd like to know if investors are more scared by one giant downward revision in sales forecast, or two medium-sized revisions. Like, are we due for another downward revision at the next quarter.

You gotta wonder how stupid these investors are if they fall for that. At this rate they're gonna need more than 2 adjustments. I can't see it passing 4.5m by the end of this year

yon61

They likely invested a ton of R&D dollars into Vita. Just becaused they used off the shelf parts doesn't make it inexpensive. Plus you're forgetting the huge marketing campaign (the biggest in Sony's history according to them) they put out during that first month. If they were making like 5 bucks on every Vita it would take a long time.

It didn't. 3DS won't fall behind the DS's overall sales for at least a couple of months.
The point I was trying to make was that the Vita's hardware isn't as exotic as some of Sony's past consoles, I think it's a safe bet (an understatement) that the Vita's R&D costs are significantly smaller than PS3, PSP and PS2. Sony at least learned from their past mistakes in that department I would believe. One tradition that Sony are probably still keeping with is losing money on new hardware.

If Sony does cut the price by $50 within the next six months, then my position on the issue will certainly be compromised to say the least.

Agent X

I do think that the Vita's long term future is as a PlayStation Mobile device though. A $199 gaming handheld with buttons and analogue sticks, it could sell decently for quite some time. As long as PS Mobile actually takes off, and doesn't fizzle out of the gate.

I'm thinking the same thing. I hope the Vita can pick up serious steam soon, but if it doesn't, then I believe Sony will take their Vita resources and divert them toward the PlayStation Mobile initiative instead. Vita will live on for enthusiasts as a great PS Mobile device, while Sony has a chance to peddle games to those who otherwise wouldn't be interested in a dedicated portable game machine.

Skyzard

Banned
That's not the problem here (well actually yes it is because Vita's attach ratio is crap<--what?) but anyway the real issue is where are all the games that are going to make people buy Vita's. Selling to your current market is a recipe for disaster.

Not exactly. The issue was no library. The upcoming games are plenty with many great ones among them. This means the vita will have a substantial library of good games. System sellers or not. The only other problem was the total price of the vita. You drop memory card prices, perhaps more bundles then sales pick up and support continues. Simple really. We will never run out of indie and smaller games, that is a given.

How many more AAA games depend on how Sony handles the vita over the next year or two with new boosted library and holiday season.

If they want to market it to a younger audience then why the hell did they give it an expensive OLED screen? I'm not talking down on it because it looks awesome and it's a great selling point for a lot of people here, but kids don't care about OLED.

And that's a fundamental part of the system.

Goddamn, what a shame. I really hope Sony steps it up like they did with the PSP, because the Vita has so much potential.

They really have to lower the price of it or give away a free memory card or something, because the entry price for the Vita is absolutely ridiculous.

Sony never stepped it up with the PSP. Sony's announced Vita support already seems much better than what they did with the PSP. Capcom stepped it up with the PSP and saved it with Monster Hunter.
Not exactly. The issue was no library. The upcoming games are plenty with many great ones among them. This means the vita will have a substantial library of good games. System sellers or not. The only other problem was the total price of the vita. You drop memory card prices, perhaps more bundles then sales pick up and support continues, as it is doing. Simple really. We will never run out of indie and smaller games, that is a given.

So basically you don't care if Vita dies or not?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Interesting thing to note the madden vita bundle for $250 will be offered at some retailers with a $50 gift card as well I found out today. So maybe that is how they will handle it for the holidays. Just not sure if the perceived value is the same as $199 though.

Madden doesn't sell well as a handheld

People want big screen, comfy couch fro Madden, same goes fro Call of Duty

You have to reinvent the wheel gaming wise to make you go... oh that is why Madden looks good on the Vita

Now if Madden gave you the option of carrying you PS3 game save to your Vita and vice versa, games can be played whenever/wherever/with whatever system, then that is something new

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Sony had nothing to do with the PSP's success, it's all thanks to the third parties.

MYE

They likely invested a ton of R&D dollars into Vita. Just becaused they used off the shelf parts doesn't make it inexpensive. Plus you're forgetting the huge marketing campaign (the biggest in Sony's history according to them) they put out during that first month. If they were making like 5 bucks on every Vita it would take a long time.

It didn't. 3DS won't fall behind the DS's overall sales for at least a couple of months.

I dont even remember seeing a single tv Vita ad

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I think the price point is only part of the problem, the other major issue is the lack of system sellers. Scaled-down versions of FIFA, CoD and NFS aren't really games I'd call system sellers, Uncharted: GA, WipEout and Gravity Rush didn't sell a lot of Vitas, and even though I think Tearaway and Soul Sacrifice look really cool, I doubt they'll do much for the Vita.

I like what I see from the Vita. I play with it whenever I go to my local Target or Best Buy. I would have owned one already if it had a video out option, even with the lack of games, because that feature in conjunction with the existing software would have made it a clear cut winner over the 3DS for ME. As it stands now, I'm a happy 3DS owner, but I am praying that support or a price cut is on its way for the Vita because I'm itching to get my hands on it.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
It is so weird to me. I play the Vita way more than I played the PSP and I felt like it was a better deal at launch by far. I hope they can make it a success because I genuinely like the Vita.

Forever

Banned
I like what I see from the Vita. I play with it whenever I go to my local Target or Best Buy. I would have owned one already if it had a video out option, even with the lack of games, because that feature in conjunction with the existing software would have made it a clear cut winner over the 3DS for ME. As it stands now, I'm a happy 3DS owner, but I am praying that support or a price cut is on its way.
They're scrambling to cut costs, I doubt very much that they'll add features.

Mileena

Banned
I dont even remember seeing a single tv Vita ad

There's that guy playing PS3 then he walks up and he's outside carrying a Vita and stuff, it's pretty terrible.

Sad to see this thing is gonna die out come next year. $250 (plus memory card*) of wasted potential.

Betting their entire holiday US showing on CoD is almost hilariously misguided. CoD is primarily a social game. You don't buy it because it looks fun, you buy it because all of your friends are buying it, and you'll need the new version to play multiplayer.

Releasing it on a console with a low install base means you're selling CoD on brand recognition alone.

delta25

Banned
If Sony lets the vita sink.... ahh fuck it, this doom and gloom shit gets on my nerves. It sure would be nice if gaf could shake the overly pessimistic attitude it has towards the Vita, it's really not helping the situation at all.

*goes back to playing Gravity Rush on a beautiful OLED screen*

Skyzard

Banned
So basically you don't care if Vita dies or not?

No?

I have invested a lot in the vita and I am confident sales will pick up with a quality product. Sega was ahead of its time. People are up to speed now, and this is quality. Sony just needs to find the right budging point. Games help and they have them. Ads and price drops really. Sony should be able to do that pretty easily. People are too broke these days and need more convincing then what Sony has currently been doing. There are a lot of things Sony can afford to do over the next 2 years, before anyone could claim the system is doomed. And it's pretty clear it won't be, by any means. Unless you believe everything kotaku posts.

whitehawk

Banned
KuGsj.gif

No?

I have invested a lot in the vita and I am confident sales will pick up with a quality product. Sega was ahead of its time. People are up to speed now, and this is quality. Sony just needs to find the right budging point. Games help and they have them. Ads and price drops really. Sony should be able to do that pretty easily. People are too broke these days and need more convincing then what Sony has currently been doing. It's pretty clear there are a lot of things Sony can afford to do over the next 2 years, before anyone could claim the system is doomed. And it's pretty clear it won't be, by any means. Unless you believe everything kotaku posts.

You have a misguided view of how things work. Just because you think something is quality does not mean the actual market does.

Miles X

If Sony lets the vita sink.... ahh fuck it, this doom and gloom shit gets on my nerves. It sure would be nice if gaf could shake the overly pessimistic attitude it has towards the Vita, it's really not helping the situation at all.

*goes back to playing Gravity Rush on a beautiful OLED screen*

Pessimistic?! It's looking more and more realistic by the day.

I agree with the comments, It seems Sony think COD will save the Vita, just because it's huge on consoles.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Another bad decision was, why the fuck did they feel like rebooting it with the new name? Vita is still an awful name. PSP did amazingly well as a handheld entry going up again Nintendo who had their best success at the time as well.

Is there something I'm missing about the PSP brand here that they felt like leaving it behind?

Hummm ... that does NOT sound good. :/

I hope they drop the price. I REALLY want to just leave my 3DS alone until Pokemon/ AW 3DS comes around but I'm not even gonna touch the Viti until I can get it for a reasonable price.

Sucks cause I really want Gravity Rush/ AC/ BB but that's gonna have to wait.

Another bad decision was, why the fuck did they feel like rebooting it with the new name? Vita is still an awful name. PSP did amazingly well as a handheld entry going up again Nintendo who had their best success at the time as well.

Is there something I'm missing about the PSP brand here that they felt like leaving it behind?

PSP was dead in the west for 2 years before Vita launched. It might have helped in Japan, but in the west PSP was a toxic brand.

DiscoJer

I like what I see from the Vita. I play with it whenever I go to my local Target or Best Buy. I would have owned one already if it had a video out option, even with the lack of games, because that feature in conjunction with the existing software would have made it a clear cut winner over the 3DS for ME. As it stands now, I'm a happy 3DS owner, but I am praying that support or a price cut is on its way for the Vita because I'm itching to get my hands on it.

They actually have one on display? I've looked in several Wal-marts and 1 Target and while they have them, they don't have them on display.

Indeed, today, it was funny, I go by the electronics department and see a bunch of kids surrounding something. I think "Maybe they put the Vita on display", but as I get closer, I find they aren't playing a Vita, but an Atari Flashback 3 console

jeremy1456

You're forgetting US sales after the first two years.

The PSP tanked after the initial hype died down. The brand is basically worthless outside of Japan.

It is undeniably quality. For the market to realise it, it takes advertisements, which come before the price drop but after the games.

If a product has undeniable quality it will sell. I also no longer buy people don't know Vita exists. They just don't give a fuck. You also seem to be forgetting that everyone in Japan knows that Vita exists. They just aren't buying the thing.

Alrus

No?

I have invested a lot in the vita and I am confident sales will pick up with a quality product. Sega was ahead of its time. People are up to speed now, and this is quality. Sony just needs to find the right budging point. Games help and they have them. Ads and price drops really. Sony should be able to do that pretty easily. People are too broke these days and need more convincing then what Sony has currently been doing. It's pretty clear there are a lot of things Sony can afford to do over the next 2 years, before anyone could claim the system is doomed. And it's pretty clear it won't be, by any means. Unless you believe everything kotaku posts.

No, they really don't to be honest. That's the main issue with the Vita. The games that are coming aren't going to make sales higher on a consistent basis, especially in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom