• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

wiibomb

really sad they aren't localizing this one, I wanted to had both

This is just to remind everyone that we will never get this.

Q73A7Ur.jpg

we won't get it even if the would be localizing XX, they almost never bring those bundles.

Kysen

Anyone thinking you can get by with a translation guide, good luck. You're gonna be swamped. There is a shit ton of gear/parts in this game.

antonz

But world is not coming to Switch...

The Point is Handheld versus Console and while Switch can certainly play in console mode its also a handheld and Capcom is clearly saying Handheld is not good enough for them anymore.

Capcom sees this chart and is unhappy the Ratio of East versus West for MH
DCT80ySWAAAn5Es.jpg

so i just looked up what the situation is with stories and it looks like its published by nintendo... so maybe nintendo will just publish this?

Dot-N-Run

XX is an enhanced version of a game already released in English. I honestly don't know the realities of localizing games but this seems like easy pickings for localizing compared to some massive text-heavy JRPG.

I mean if XSEED can manage to put out the entire Trails in the Sky trilogy I imagine that Capcom could localize XX, or at least hire someone else to do it.

Effect

But world is not coming to Switch...
This. I believe as well World was design on purpose to skip the Switch. Which is just stupid given 3DS players would be moving on to the Switch and they've know for while what the Switch was. Longer then many others. They are saying Fuck You to their own customer base world wide to chase a new group. WTF!?

ITT: Salty Monster Hunter fans so upset they're not getting an port of a 240p 3ds game that they're going to pretend that they won't buy world.
d8a.gif

I will see you all in 2018 brehs. Im keeping this thread bookmarked just to see how many of you crack.
I won't, Monster Hunter is only fun for me as a portable game.

Doorman

If this turns out to hold up, my initial reaction is "wow...that must have been an unbelievably fat check that Sony wrote to Capcom for this whole attempt of recapturing the Western market that they were already decently cultivating. To thumb their nose at a growing Switch audience that's already been doing a pretty good job of buying games, it feels like they expected that having World and XX together would cause people to pick one over the other and hurt the overall sales of each one, so they'd rather cut one arm off in hopes that the other becomes HUGE instead of just a success.

Good luck, I guess? XX Switch would have been a guaranteed purchase for me. Still waiting to see more from World before I commit to it or not. I won't pull the old "avoid it out of spite" kind of deal but there are some worrying elements so far that need some greater context. Ultimately I don't think that limiting the choice is really the best move, though.

Oregano

Is the MH team big?

XX is developed by a separate team and already exists...

The Point is Handheld versus Console and while Switch can certainly play in console mode its also a handheld and Capcom is clearly saying Handheld is not good enough for them anymore.

DCT80ySWAAAn5Es.jpg

World's Ratio will be much more favourable simply because Japan will sell a lot less so that's silly logic.

Thoraxes

So does the OP mean that there's still a chance for the 3DS version? I would buy literally any version of XX localized.

But regardless, this coupled with World's lack of local multiplayer means I am going to pass on World. World is essentially a dead game to me and something I would get no value out of without that core feature of the series. MH is not a very enjoyable series in single-player only, and having done 90% of my playtime in local co-op only (easily 1000+ hours), it's really the only way I see myself enjoying the series. All my friends are split across platforms too, so it'd be impossible to get everyone in the same place without people having to drop significant amounts of money just to play only 1 game, and that doesn't even include being forced to get an online subscription too.

I'll stay hopeful they announce a Monster Hunter 5 with local co-op using the new World assets in 2018 at TGS though. It was telling as to who they were targeting with this game that they announced this at E3 instead of in Japan at an event there.

The fan translation of XX should be picking up too, with at least the menus and stuff already done, so there's always the option of hacking your 3DS.

Maxinas

I mean they cannot afford it in the sense of competition. XX on Switch is competition for World.

Capcom is hell bent on Winning the West with Monster Hunter and that means World or GTFO.

By potentially pissing off the growing MH fanbase since the release of MH4U? Great start.

Welp Nintendo. You know what to do. Time to get with Sega on that Phantasy Star online new game!
Have local co-op and ape some of the design philosophy from Monster Hunter (they may have already? I've only played episode 1, w and CARD) and I think it would be really successful.

A lot of Monster Hunter fans are core gamers that don't want to look at a 240p screen using an awful control scheme for hundreds of hours and frankly I don't blame them.

This is the first time a mainline Monster Hunter has been available on decent hardware in quite a long time. They're dumb for not giving the Western market a chance with this.

Oersted

DCT80ySWAAAn5Es.jpg

I would that read that as only Resident Evil sold better, so I wouldn't risk abandoning Japan.

But what do I know.

A lot of Monster Hunter fans are core gamers that don't want to look at a 240p screen using an awful control scheme for hundreds of hours and frankly I don't blame them.

This is the first time a mainline Monster Hunter has been available on decent hardware in quite a long time. They're dumb for not giving the Western market a chance with this.

Switch?

A 240p Screen?

What?

antonz

XX is developed by a separate team and already exists...

World's Ratio will be much more favourable simply because Japan will sell a lot less so that's silly logic.

That's basically been everyone's argument. They want to grow the franchise in the west but its going to alienate the East so what exactly are they accomplishing.

Eolz

DCT80ySWAAAn5Es.jpg

And now they'll likely have a better overseas ratio with worse JP sales.
Better hope that the west will pick up the slack...

Or see ya in X years like with DMC and other franchises where Capcom decided to gofor the western audience and only this one...

entremet

Capcom had never intended MH to be a handheld franchise. Their ambitions for the series exceeded beyond that. It was originally made for consoles, with the hope of growing a multiplayer community online not locally. Granted, they made a shit load of money but make no mistake these last 7-8 years seeing their prized gem deform year after year under the light of handheld consoles must have been torture for them.
I honestly don’t think these games are meant to sell what they’re hoping for.

Im still getting MHW but I like handheld MH.

Still doesn't excuse them from bringing a game over.
But you are right about the limits handhelds bring for the franchise.

Nightii

Banned
Nah I'm good. I'll import XX and buy Worlds day one next year. You can be childish if you want, that's your call, but I'll remain a Monster Hunter fan.

Yeah, because if you don't like what World is selling you then you are not a real MH fan.

Oregano

Nah I'm good. I'll import XX and buy Worlds day one next year. You can be childish if you want, that's your call, but I'll remain a Monster Hunter fan.

I don't see how it's childish to not want to support a company who doesn't value you as a consumer.

I trade money for good and services, Capcom is not offering the goods and services I want so they no longer get my money.

And why would anyone ask Reggie about a game that Capcom publishes? You may as well ask him why the Shadow of the Colossus remake isn't coming to the system.

Because it's weird as hell that it's not coming over and pretty much everything else I laid out. If nothing else they need to know the interest is there. You don't see why it would be worth asking why a very successful franchise that has been on their systems for the last however many years is a no show? I mean he has gotten in front of a camera and pimped a Batman game that they didn't make. Doesn't seem like a bad question to me. Capcom is on the hook here as well but NoA needs to hear from the fans too.

This news sucks since it looks to me like anything from Capcom on the Switch is far less likely to release for international audiences, probably including the inevitable next Ace Attorney on Switch... whenever they decide to make the next one for Switch.

EDIT: Surprised it took people this long to see Capcom as anything else other than as a below average publisher.

Voting with your wallet is not childish. It's literally the opposite of childish. What you said is the only childish thing.

This news sucks since it looks to me like anything from Capcom on the Switch is far less likely to release for international audiences, probably including the inevitable next Ace Attorney on Switch... whenever they decide to make the next one for Switch.

Monster Hunter was probably the only serious effort Capcom would have put into the Switch anyway. I wouldn't expect much in the way of support for them on this platform, period. At least internationally. They'll likely develop some titles for the Japanese audience and keep them in that region.

ekim

Good for you but I would guess only a minority of western MH fans can read Japanese that well. So importing is an option for you but not everyone.

Nanashrew

Banned

Who cares about the 3DS version? There's a Switch up port coming and its much higher res.

Kouriozan

Capcom : "Oh, Monster Hunter Generations sold pretty great in the West, I got an idea, not localizing it's expanded version"
"Best idea ever!!"

Top Bottom