• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Conference: God of War 1 & 2 Collection on Blu Ray this Fall w/ Trophies $40

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
oh who gives a shit. please put out the entire catalog so i can pick what i want. everyone else can ride around on their horses while i consume

CONSUME

ScOULaris

This is nuts! It looks like Sony has found a way to make money off of limited backwards compatibility after all... but I just want my PS2 discs to work. : (

BC for LIFE!

Shurs

ScOULaris said:
This is nuts! It looks like Sony has found a way to make money off of limited backwards compatibility after all... but I just want my PS2 discs to work. : (

BC for LIFE!

Did you sell your PS2?

gogogow

charlequin said:
I also don't see much reason for excitement since it doesn't seem like the games are actually getting built with new assets or effects or anything, just recompiled to run natively at 720p.
Because it's not a remake.

Just recompiling it to run natively at 720p will make the game run smoother and will automatically give you AA (and trophies)? Cool!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Mr. Wonderful said:
My VERY first thought when I saw this news!

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus at 720p 60FPS YES PLEASE.

HOLY SHIT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO.
This has been the remake that I wanted most this whole generation. I would do crazy shit if Sony makes it happen. Please please please let it happen.

The prospect of playing these games with trophies is enough to warrant a repurchase from me, but the graphical improvements are just icing on the cake. Day 1.

Maximus.

Omg...i have GOW2 and have played through a bit of it, but really want to get this now so i can play the first 2 in hd goodness before the 3rd.

gogogow

Second said:
I aready have both on Ps2, AND have a BC Ps3.

But still, this will be mine day 1.
Hell, I have them both and have a PS2 Phat, a PStwo and a BC PS3.
And I will still buy this.

I already own both games, but I'll gladly drop another 20$ a piece on them for trophy support / improvements. Hope others follow suit.

Zen

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:

I say keep Ico at it's weird resolution since that was something done intentionally, but SotC at 60FPS? Yes please.

MoFuzz

It'll be interesting to see how much improved these will be over the upscaled originals running on PS3.

Neither game on PS2 had true widescreen. They just chopped the top and bottom off ala Bioshock, which actually decreased what you could see. They'd better fix this!

Here's hoping they remix the audio to include Dolby digital, DTS or perhaps even an uncompressed PCM track. The already epic soundtrack would sound even better!

For now, it sounds more like an incremental visual upgrade rather than full on re-drawn graphics, so I'm trying not to get too excited just yet. AA and 60fps sound great, but the same blurry ass textures blown up doens't necessarily make it look all that much better. Will have to wait for screens before I ditch my PS2 copies running on my 60 gig.

SolidSnakex said:
It appears that people think that Sony dumped BC so that they could re-release OS2 games on BR and charge gamers for them.
Um DUH?
No really... DUH?
Why is this a conspiracy?
They are in a business to make money, not allow people to run and give gamestop money for used games.
At least they are not releasing straight ports with no enhancements.

Sascha23

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:

Seriously.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if this was to happen.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
OokieSpookie said:
Um DUH?
No really... DUH?
They are in a business to make money, not allow people to run and give gamestop money for used games.
Precisely. If it was just straight up ports with no HD or fps enhancements then I probably wouldn't even consider. It's all about the enhancements man.

Can you imagine a SOTC with better textures and 60fps @ 720/1080P?! :O
*crosses fingers*

Sheperd

Neo Member
Never played GOW1, and even though my friend let me borrow it for 3 weeks, I never finished GOW2.

I will buy this.

3rdman

Sascha23 said:
Seriously.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if this was to happen.
Well, you would probably but and play them...but that's just a wild guess.

I'd do the same, of course. It's really the only PS2 titles that have a special place in my heart. Both would do wonders at a better resolution - especially ICO but only if they applied filters and blur to give it a similar feel.

freitax

MoFuzz said:
Neither game on PS2 had true widescreen. They just chopped the top and bottom off ala Bioshock, which actually decreased what you could see. They'd better fix this!

Kubrick did that all the time, if you frame your game/movie for widescreen while still protecting the full frame from unwanted stuff I don't see any problem with it:/ besides getaway (if I'm not mistaken) expanded the image.

TheExodu5

Banned
gogogow said:
Hell, I have them both and have a PS2 Phat, a PStwo and a BC PS3.
And I will still buy this.

I have them both, as well as a PS2 Phat, a PSTwo, a BC PS3, and a working PSCX2 emulator!

And I will still buy this!

xinoart

Banned
Heard about this earlier this morning. I can't wait. Even though I own both for PS2 and I have an original 60 gig. I'll double-dip on these great games for the improvements. I'm surprised they were able to keep this a secret until the conference. Good job Sony.

Everyone who denied, Eat crow! :D

Oh and Bluepoint Games are doing the port? Interesting! Looks like they have been working on it for quite some time since Blast Factor was their only title...

AAK

SOTC in HD needs these guys:

2000914122107648660_rs.jpg

2000906141379243185_rs.jpg

2002431820792105850_rs.jpg

2002458746231922586_rs.jpg

2002497513146025223_rs.jpg

2000974403390999571_rs.jpg

and in 7.1 surround sound.

ScOULaris

Shurs said:
Did you sell your PS2?

No, but I have always stood behind full BC on the PS3. If Sony knows how (and can afford) to bring it back, then I am all for it.

BC PS3 = Upscaling + Unlimited Saves (HDD) + Wireless Controllers + Better Framerate (if done through competent software emulation)

A BC PS3 is the ultimate gaming machine. It can play thousands of games, hundreds of which are some of the best games ever made.

PS - My PS3 is the 80GB with limited software BC. Some games (like SotC) run and look even better than on the PS2, while others (MGS3, Ratchet & Clank) are unplayable.

_leech_ said:
Garnett's in on the BC conspiracy theory:

yeah, at least they are adding improvements and not just dumping them out there. It's very similar to the way there have been some New Play Wii Games. I'd like them doing this to all the games and at least give me the choice....No need to bury the PS2 legacy.

Chrange

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Um DUH?
No really... DUH?

Isn't this pretty much the 'sky is falling' scenario that people came up with when Microsoft announced downloadable Xbox games? They were going to release the 'good' games only via for-pay download and they wouldn't be BC otherwise was the claim, though it never materialized.

xinoart said:
Heard about this earlier this morning. I can't wait. Even though I own both for PS2 and I have an original 60 gig. I'll double-dip on these great games for the improvements. I'm surprised they were able to keep this a secret until the conference. Good job Sony.
Heh there was a "leak" from some random blog a few weeks ago. But they got the info wrong and said there was supposed to be a GOW III demo with the collection. I kinda hope the blog is right and we just haven't heard about the demo yet.

acevans2

Did they confirm a SotC/Ico port as well or something? I see more talk about that than the COMPLETELY AWESOME ALREADY ANNOUNCED GoW bundle.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Kintaro said:
Uh huh... I see no problem with that. Nintendo did it even WITH backwards compatibility. At least we get improved framerates and AA out of the deal with no price increase.
What do you mean even WITH? That's 100% more sensible.

DrPirate

Banned
That dragon looks incredibly sick and epic.

Sorry for going offtopic, but I'm stunned, I never saw those pictures before.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
From the announcement of $599.99 to the constant changes of SKU's, it has been steadily downhill for Sony.

And with the announcement of the slim things are starting to look up and go their way and Sony seems to know what the consumer wants.

Good shit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would actually prefer if Ico and SotC would be done in locked 30FPS, rather than 60FPS. 30FPS in Ico, with motion blur used, gives it a bit of film feel. 60FPS could end up soap-operating it.

Besides, having them in 30FPS would make it possible to have them render in 1080p most likely, which they would benefit more from.

Raistlin

Have the PS2 versions, but who am I kidding ... BOUGHT.

Kind of wish it was PSN though. I love having games on my HDD!

Prezhulio

will buy if it looks significantly better than the scaled ps2 versions i already have seen on my 60gb launch. i want to see it dammit!

Top Bottom