• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop managers get free XB1, PS4 and 7 games

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
Doesn't mean they still got it earlier? GT6 launch is on December 6th; and i think those managers will get that package around the PS4 launch day (November 15th); that's still like 2 weeks before the launch (giving and taking days).

They could send GT6 separately.. just like they'll send beyond before the PS4

Muzy72

Banned
That's pretty sweet. But GS managers get payed super low so you can buy all that and still have way more money than GS managers ever will lol

Good for them, but it would have been nicer if Sony gave the PS4s to Gamestop employees who are less likely to afford them.

It's cheaper for Sony to just send one console to a manager who can "encourage" his employees to push PS4's than it is to send every employee their own console.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Good for them, but it would have been nicer if Sony gave the PS4s to Gamestop employees who are less likely to afford them.

Yeah but that would increase the cost like ten fold and most GAs work less than 10 hours a week. There's basically no return on investment on that. It would be charity.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just shows you how desperate Sony are. They must have seen the pre-order ratios.

...You should probably be a manager by now...

Its mostly part time an I make more than managers at my "9-5". But I was transferred to an area with the "good ole boys" so it didn't matter how much of good management material I was. After about 5 years they mostly were all fired by their own accord. Once another management position was finally offered they wanted me to quit my other job as they felt I'd be working too many hours. I was already work 35 hours there and 40 at my other job. The promotion would have been me doing the same job with higher pay and ok benefits working 38 hours a week. For 5 years I did it with no problem as a key holder but it was all a sudden a problem. And while taking up the issue with HR sounds nice, would you wanna work as a manager and all you peers feel you snitched your way there? (The stores in my district are not close together by any means) . Just to give a brief history I have been at the company longer than anyone in my district (including the District and all store managers) . Never a write up or a customer service complaint. Store has been through 9 managers and 5 DM since I transferred up here 8 years ago.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ps4hatting GameStop! Microsoft can give everyone peanut brittle made from busted apus!

This makes no sense but I'm going with it anyway

antibolo

Banned
RE: people questioning the legality

A company giving its own employees free shit does not constitute a bribe. Even if Sony is footing the entire bill (which may or may not be the case, whatever), it is still a valid business exchange between the two companies. As long as Sony is not giving the PS4s directly to employees, and it is declared in their tax forms, it's perfectly legal.

I work the job because I like the customers and I don't want people to have the shit experiences I and many others have had. The extra money is decent. But my current manager is pretty shifty, yells at customers, lies often about little things that doesn't matter, owes me $100 for throwing away my Voyager HD and refuses to pay for it just because and with that they are still light years better than 6 of the other 9 managers I have had.

I'm that guy who keeps Collector's Editions from being gutted, sold the last gutted copy @ 10% off, would tell you a game is shit regardless of vendor promotions, tell you if you are actually getting the most for your money, takes your initial "no" as an ender to asking if you want preorder Madden, buy Game Informer/ GMR or what ever crap we are peddling.. So even though I may not get a free PS4 the that makes it worth it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Seriously? They must have more consoles than they can handle.

With the amount of pre-orders, moneyhatting and ensuring some stock on the shelve. It's looking like they are going to need something around 2 million PS4's for launch.

Iorv3th

I work the job because I like the customers and I don't want people to have the shit experiences I and many others have had. The extra money is decent. But my current manager is pretty shifty, yells at customers, lies often about little things that doesn't matter, owes me $100 for throwing away my Voyager HD and refuses to pay for it just because and with that they are still light years better than 6 of the other 9 managers I have had.

I'm that guy who keeps Collector's Editions from being gutted, sold the last gutted copy @ 10% off, would tell you a game is shit regardless of vendor promotions, tell you if you are actually getting the most for your money, takes your initial "no" as an ender to asking if you want preorder Madden, buy Game Informer/ GMR or what ever crap we are peddling.. So even though I may not get a free PS4 the that makes it worth it.

I too am that guy. I was in the spot for a promotion to assistant manager but got another job that pays way better and don't have to deal with all the shit (manager at the time not doing his job and making me and others do it and somehow still keeping his job even though complaints filed to district manager etc). I now only work there part time and don't care if a customer cancels their pre-order etc. I am there to provide customer service.

Hell the guy that just got promoted to 3rd key doesn't know his head from his ass and lies to customers all the time, but he actually thinks its the truth. He was just telling customers that call of duty on ps3 will be able to play with call of duty on ps4 and that if you have the ps4 version your game will run better so you have a better advantage. He read about this "on the internet".

Anwyas, I applaud you.

I guess this explains why you have been fired so many times so that you have been working for ten different managers :(

Seriously, good on you for treating the customers well. I hope you don't lose your job over it

No Love

Banned
I too am that guy. I was in the spot for a promotion to assistant manager but got another job that pays way better and don't have to deal with all the shit (manager at the time not doing his job and making me and others do it and somehow still keeping his job even though complaints filed to district manager etc). I now only work there part time and don't care if a customer cancels their pre-order etc. I am there to provide customer service.

Hell the guy that just got promoted to 3rd key doesn't know his head from his ass and lies to customers all the time, but he actually thinks its the truth. He was just telling customers that call of duty on ps3 will be able to play with call of duty on ps4 and that if you have the ps4 version your game will run better so you have a better advantage. He read about this "on the internet".

Anwyas, I applaud you.

Probably reads N4G. Poor guy.

I'm gonna call BS cuz my manager owes me $100 that they've been putting off for paying be since Feb. And no doubt the manager will just either immediately trade in for cash (or wait a month before doing so) or kept it at home and let it collect dust and never play it. Mean while I've been at EB/GS for 12 years and haven't gotten as much as a "thanks for not knocking over a magazine rack" card. Oh well...thems the breaks. Gotta sells them Maddens tomorrow

12 years and you're not the manager? yikes.

But it's gamestop, so most of them will keep it and wonder why they have so many problems getting people to fill shifts.

Having worked at a game store when I was younger...this is true.

My managers were some of the funniest, most idiotic characters I've ever worked with.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gamestop managers are the same guys and gals who will tell customers things like "I would definitely stick with xbox, credit card information was hacked on psn one time you're not safe".

Sony realizes this and is trying to create goodwill within the gamestop community.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I looked up the UK rules(I realise this is US but I don't know where to find them). Its legal as many people pointed out. As long as it's proportionate and to foster good business relations and not to encourage them to recommend their product over others, at that point it becomes a bribe and illegal.

So yeah my company are just really strict, 'winning with integrity' and all that.

Top Bottom