• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop managers get free XB1, PS4 and 7 games

Dude....dude....not to jump on the wtf bandwagon, but you have worked in games retail for 12 years and are not a manager?

In my first 4 years I was in a major city but there were only 4 stores (EB). EB didn't really have a high turn over rate so all the store managers were happy in their positions (better pay scale than current GS). After a natural disaster I moved away (as well as the whole city and surrounding areas) and I transferred where I am now. for the 1st 2.5 years I was passed over because I was the outsiders. I was cool to work with and have keys and all but when it cam time for promotions I was just passed over. Toward the end of this time we transitioned into Gamestop and it was a EB vs Gamestop thing. only 3 of the store in our new district of 15 were EB's and the DM was Gamestop. If any position opened up you'd had to either be GS or a close friend of the DM. This lasted for 4 years until most of them were fired for other stuff (DM included) We finally got a DM from outside the state and after about a year she offered me the position but I have a wife and kid so I took up a full time position else where and still worked at GS about 35 hours a week. They wanted me to quit the other job. A 3 hour a week and $2/increase was not worth it. So I remained a Key holder until this day.

Like I said at this point its about just doing a good job for myself (and the extra cash). I don't really care for GS as a retailers and never really have. ITs not a bad company but It has a lot of people who interrupt things the wrong way. And that in turn screws over customers and employees. Address the stupid shit that goes down with more stupidity doesn't get folks there anywhere and that's where some stores fail.

Petrae

It's a good plan to get store managers familiar with the new platforms they're selling. I agree that it's unfortunate for employees lower on the chain of command to be left out, but given that store managers are (or should be) in their stores more than any other employee, they should be up to speed on new hardware & games.

Sony did this with PS3 units a couple of years ago, too. Managers reported for Sony product training off-site and PS3 systems were the reward (along with some games).

Managers get free games every so often throughout the year, too. Common practice. Ideally, managers play the games and have a working knowledge & understanding to share with employees and customers.

Given the difficulty and long list of demands for the job, I've never had an issue with managers getting the perks they do. 50+ hour work weeks, rotating inventory scans at other stores, bearing the brunt of DM complaints when the store isn't performing as it should in terms of reserves & subs, and lots of other responsibilities can wear on a person. I know that's what they're paid for and all that, but retail management chews up and spits people out all the time.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Is this not illegal in the US? Would be in EU I think.

I think it's not the same as offering tickets to a potential client to win a contract.

This is being given to GameStop by Sony as a thank you. No direct benefit to Sony for doing this. So, I do not believe it is illegal.

RPGCrazied

Why should we care if employees are getting free consoles? Its like Microsoft employees are getting a white Xbox One. Not like we are getting a free one, or even discounted.

TxdoHawk

lucky bastids.

Not really, they still have to be a retail manager.

Let me put it this way...retailers of all stripes are starting to realize they can't lay off any more base workers. So, they are purging further up the food chain to cut costs. My company laid off half our operations managers a couple of years back, and made the remainder manage two stores. Saved them a ton of money. Those laid off managers? Shit out of luck with no real marketable skills, and experience with a job that now has way more supply than demand. Now the rumor is that store managers are next.

This is only going to continue as retail companies trim workforces in the name of "efficiency". These people will be up there on the list of unenviable unemployed.

I used to be part of a social circle that had a few GameStop managers. They were all planning to get Xboxes first, to play Call of Duty and Battlefield while waiting for Titanfall. They all played their 360s way more than their ps3s, with Call of Duty being their preferred multiplayer game.

I'd imagine this might influence which direction they go initially, given the managers probably wouldn't be keen on shelling out an additional $560 just to play a version of Battlefield inferior to the one they already own.

Zok310

Banned
Thi is good for a few reasons. 1 is that it will assure that GS have managers that are selling products that they are very familiar with.
Nothing sucks more than speaking to someone about a product that they never interacted with.
Some of those managers were probably not going to buy the console and some of those games day 1, so great move to force it on them. The managers and their staff will be more informed on the games mentioned and on the PS4 when someone walks in and ask about it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I used to be part of a social circle that had a few GameStop managers. They were all planning to get Xboxes first, to play Call of Duty and Battlefield while waiting for Titanfall. They all played their 360s way more than their ps3s, with Call of Duty being their preferred multiplayer game.

I'd imagine this might influence which direction they go initially.

I can't imagine buying the Xbox One initially if several friends got a free PS4 system and free copies of the games we play.

Thi is good for a few reasons. 1 is that it will assure that GS have managers that are selling products that they are very familiar with.
Nothing sucks more than speaking to someone about a product that they never interacted with.
Some of those managers were probably not going to buy the console and some of those games day 1, so great move to force it on them. The managers and their staff will be more informed on the games mentioned and on the PS4 when someone walks in and ask about it.

Or those managers will all flip them on Craigslist or Ebay as they are absurdly underpaid...

Well I guess thats one incentive to work there.

Kind of makes me feel bad for ever bad-mouthing 'Gamestop Manager' as a credible job

Nah.

W37TG.gif

I wasn't expecting that ending :)

Zok310

Banned
Or those managers will all flip them on Craigslist or Ebay as they are absurdly underpaid...

Are they really underpaid?
But either way, underpaid or just no interest in the PS4, this will make certain that everyone that matters gets a console to take home and try out day one. Come in to work the next day with 1st hand experience on the console. Very helpful when moms and dads come in asking questions.

Top Bottom