• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Survey for $99 All-you-can-play Summer Pass

On the whole, not a terrible idea certainly this year more then any other since there have already been SO many huge releases. For Gamestop, Summer is always dead business with very few big titles releasing (even worse now that NCAA is done) but the problem is that associates aren't going to get extra payroll to cover all this new traffic they'll end up getting during the Summer.

That said... if it actually ends up being 100$ I might do this myself just to play through games like Horizon, RE7, Digimon, and others I just don't have time for right now.

As a former employee though I'm really glad I won't have to deal with this, for associates its just another thing you have to shove down peoples throats.

3 months of Gamefly with 2 games at a time is $36, so this is almost 3x the cost. Availability is spotty with GF though, so if you place 3x the value on having the newest games day and date it can find a market with some people.

availability can be spotty with this too, especially if everyone doing it wants to keep the expensive new releases.

Aselith

No, dude... the game is COMPLIMENTARY for being such a good little boy/girl and paying 100 dollars to rent games all summer.

Seriously, is GameFly not around anymore? That is at least year round and while you don't get to keep the game at the end of the summer, it also isn't as expensive as this is.

Gamefly is like $15 a month

This is actually pretty clever for Gamestop. The price is high but nobody is really offering this anymore.

If you take a game that has some good value too at the end, you're really not paying all that much.

Corpekata

Banned
3 months of Gamefly with 2 games at a time is $36, so this is almost 3x the cost. Availability is spotty with GF though, so if you place 3x the value on having the newest games day and date it can find a market with some people.

How is it 36? Isn't it 23 a month, so basically nearly 70 bucks? Not even the 1 at a time plan is 36 after three months.

Sarobi

Banned
Too pricey. You can do 2-games-out for 3 months @ $36.50 (via gift card option).

How is it 36? Isn't it 23 a month, so basically nearly 70 bucks? Not even the 1 at a time plan is 36 after three months.

Gamefly is cheaper if you use their gift certificate options. You can buy 3, 6, or 12 month plans at a discount price.

Moneal

Blockbuster had the same thing back in the day. It was only $15/month.

This seems like a bad deal.
They probably assume people will keep a 54 dollar game. So 99 - 54 = 45 and 45/3 = 15. So its 15 a month and 54 for something like madden in the end.

Reallink

availability can be spotty with this too, especially if everyone doing it wants to keep the expensive new releases.

True, but most town have 5 or 10+ Gamestops so the odds are in your favor. Depends on the terms of the offer (i.e. whether the stores will have to open new copies if a subscriber requests something in stock missed the Preowned only).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It essentialy 45 for unlimited rental for 3 months if you keep a 54 dollar game at the end.

What used game is likely to be $54 in August? Shadow of War comes out August 22nd so you aren't likely to find too many used copies by the time this is over. It's pretty damn clever to do this during the Summer months.

Permanently A

The biggest issue with this is availability. Yeah I'd be all over this deal if it means I could play Horizon, Zelda, Yakuza, Nier, Nioh, etc, but those games just aren't going to be in stock.

If I lived closer to a GameStop I'd definitely consider this since I go for achievements a lot and keeping the last game you rent would make it even better - just pick a recent release you want to keep like a multiplayer game or something to resell. As it is I'm about 20 minutes away from a GS and I don't have a car so I'd be definitely limited and one of the biggest things for me would to knock out old 360 games in a day or two and turn around. Using it for more recent games would just clog my backlog even more and probably end up wasting the service. I'd be better off with game pass I think realistically.

NolbertoS

Man, Gamestop gettinf desperate to stave off bankruptcy. First GCU competition, except its worse, and now Gamefly competition an similar to the defunct Blockbuster gaming rental program. Sorry Gamestop, but you deserve Chapter 11, for screwing with your customers.

If I were still in high school and summer meant I didn't have to do shit for 3 months, I would be all over this.

As an adult, it doesn't feel like I'd have enough time to really enjoy it.

So they basically sell you a used game for $99?
At least from their perspective.
Yep, considering every other game you took from them is back in the store by the the time you're expired. They basically sold you a $99 used copy of a maximum $60 game in their mind. Pretty good idea for them in that regard. Not to mention they are also hoping you tried some games you liked and buy them outright from them during and after this

decisions

Blockbuster had the same thing back in the day. It was only $15/month.

This seems like a bad deal.

If more people knew about that Blockbuster would've never went out of business. I assumed it wasn't profitable but they kept it until the end...I absolutely tore through games as a kid using that and literally no one I ever knew in my age group knew about it.

FingerBang

Not bad at all, if you play a lot of games and don't care about owning them. I would do it if something similar was available in Japan.

Illucio

Banned
If more people knew about that Blockbuster would've never went out of business. I assumed it wasn't profitable but they kept it until the end...I absolutely tore through games as a kid using that and literally no one I ever knew in my age group knew about it.

Blockbuster was my gamestop during it's final years and I was there almost every other day. And I never knew this.

This is kind of a good idea...but way to costly for such a limited time...i do however like the idea of keeping the final game you take home before your pass expires. I just couldnt personally justify the 99 dollar price tag for anything less than 6 months. Especially with services like ea access and xbox game pass.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
and the whole "keep the last game" is cool too

$100 for a $30 or less title isn't decent value. But it's a good start. Would definitely clear out their stocks of last-gen software.

Unrivaled

Banned
this is pricey but this is my opinion..
if i had extra cash id do it but then again i like to own my games digitally and tend to go back to them sometimes

but on a real note..
just let gamestop die ppl no matter how tempting this may seem

havent been to a gamestop since i bought my PS4 in 2013

nikos

So it's essentially rentals for $33/month, and you get to keep a game in the end. Could be decent if the game availability is there, and you go through enough of them. Since it only includes preowned games, new releases probably won't be available for a while.

I'd still rather buy games. If rental places were still around and got new releases on day one, I'd probably save a ton of money. Not being able to play on day one, and having to wait for shipping in general, is the reason why I haven't stuck with Gamefly.

Malyse

You can play like 10 games in 3 months for the price of like 2 while keeping any preowned game you want.

How is this not great value?
Well, Gamefly is $16 a month. Even at two games, it's still just $23 a month. So for the same time period, it would be $48-$69 total. Doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

Oh and let's not forget that this is almost certainly subject to availability; they might not even *have* the game you want to play.

Shady859

Well, Gamefly is $16 a month. Even at two games, it's still just $23 a month. So for the same time period, it would be $48-$69 total. Doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

Oh and let's not forget that this is almost certainly subject to availability; they might not even *have* the game you want to play.

Buy 3 month GF gift certificates and immediately redeem on your account = $12ish a month for 2 games plan. I did this forever but finally just quit renting as I barely have time to play new games these days.

Interesting concept from GS but supply of newer games will be a huge issue.

I think Nintendo is only surpassed by GameStop for being the stingiest company and with absolutely no sense of what a decent value is

The only reason to ever go into a Gamestop is when they're doing a some kind of trade promotion that loss prevention didn't vet well enough.

You also keep a game at the end of the Summer Pass.

It's not a ripoff.

Does Gamestop no longer have the 14 days return/exchange policy for used games? I haven't shopped there since becoming a GCU member but myself and friend always use to buy a used game, beat it within 2 weeks, and exchange it out, and would do this numerous times. AFAIK last time I bought a used game receipt still stated 14 days. And in California they cannot refuse you a return/exchange by law just because you've already beaten the game so long as their 14 day return policy is printed on the receipt. People should just do that,

Top Bottom