• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Survey for $99 All-you-can-play Summer Pass

Oh man this feels like Blockbuster back in the mid 2000's. Digital distribution is the future folks, GameStop is a dying business

It is, but it's not as imminent as people want to believe. The infrastructure in this country is terrible. As long as that's the case, there will be a market for physical products. Not to mention how terrible the digital pricing structure is for console games.

It absolutely is. The game you will get to keep won't be worth much of anything. $30 game at best.

So if you factor in the price of the game (it could be more but let's use your arbitrary price) it's about the same has the two games Gamefly plan without having to wait for shipping and without having to ship the game back.

So if you factor in the price of the game (it could be more but let's use your arbitrary price) it's about the same has the two games Gamefly plan without having to wait for shipping and without having to ship the game back.

Highly doubt the selection will be as good as Gamefly. Gamestop is spotty when it comes to newer pre-owned games as it is, if this pass half way catches on it'll be a wasteland in the store. You have a point about the shipping though. My guess is that Gamestop does beef up their trade-in values prior to this going live to stock up, but I feel like that's probably not gonna be enough.

Two Words

This is a good deal if you plan to play a lot of games during the summer and have a lot of Gamestops around you. The biggest benefit is being able to instantly get another game. The problem is that it is kinda tough to make the decision "I am going to spend the next 3 months of my life to playing as many games as possible to take advantage of this offer." For most people, playing a game or 2 over the summer is more than enough.

Man, Gamestop gettinf desperate to stave off bankruptcy. First GCU competition, except its worse, and now Gamefly competition an similar to the defunct Blockbuster gaming rental program. Sorry Gamestop, but you deserve Chapter 11, for screwing with your customers.
They need to just copy GCU outright.

Curious to see how this works out for them.

I already heavily research all my purchases, so I don't have any real interest in this.

Lucario

"For the platform of your choice"? Does that mean you have to pick a platform when signing up?

This would be cool if you could also rent some of their rare/old used games, but a console restriction would absolutely kill it. Can't imagine you'd be able to get any new releases, either.

At least 3 diff surveys have been sent out, interestingly at difference price points - $59.99, $74.99, and $99.99

I guess if you don't buy very many games it could be a great way to check out a 2 year old backlog but for people who are only short 3-4 games, GCU/etc would seem better on sales.

FrankWza

It is, but it's not as imminent as people want to believe. The infrastructure in this country is terrible. As long as that's the case, there will be a market for physical products. Not to mention how terrible the digital pricing structure is for console games.

As long as there is a need for consoles digital pricing will stay high. They cant undercut retailers that they need to stock their consoles.

At least 3 diff surveys have been sent out, interestingly at difference price points - $59.99, $74.99, and $99.99

I guess if you don't buy very many games it could be a great way to check out a 2 year old backlog but for people who are only short 3-4 games, GCU/etc would seem better on sales.

I would consider it for 60. Then just end it with a 55 dollar used game

Syncytia

EB games (gamestop AU) already does this for free. The only limit being you can only keep games 7 days.

I did this all the time in High School. Then the next summer it was all different employees and they side eyed me too much to bother going anymore.

EvB

problem is it is going to be entirely dependent on what preowned stock they have at the time. There seems to be much less in the way of preowned stuff around compared to last gen

atr0cious

Lol Blockbuster did the exact same thing in the 90s and me and my brother abused the shit out of it since we lived a block a way. Lasted 2 summers.

Problem is, personally, going this route doesn't help me in completing the games I'd want to play/platinum, which most would require 50+ hours. Too little time during the summer, not to mention the drive is considerably less.

Top Bottom