• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop's Assassin's Creed Origins advertisement is disgusting

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game Stop would never do this.. it's a goddamn suicide. They know how ppl feel about exclusivity or any bonus console add ons for years.

Yeah but they also want to sell more copies and this is a direct message that if you pre order from us, you'll get more content.

Yeah but they also want to sell more copies and this is a direct message that if you pre order from us, you'll get more content.

It's actually a mission available to ANY preorder. The GameStop exclusive is a collectible pin, which makes the ad all the more bizarre.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
By my knowledge GS doesn't have any exclusive in-game pre-order content. The Secrets of the First Pyramid mission seems to be included in all pre-order copies.
This is what their pre-order page looks like
Skhuz7f.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's actually a mission available to ANY preorder. The GameStop exclusive is a collectible pin, which makes the ad all the more bizarre.

Oh, I thought this was one of those cases where different retailers are getting different missions ..

which sounds like an absolutely ridiculous statement in itself but I'm sure it's happened before.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why are people complaining this just let's people know the truth.
Vote with your wallet.

SORRY MY WALLET IS BLOCKED

Falchion

I can't remember the last time I bought anything from Gamestop. I avoid that place like an ancient Egyptian plague.

It's dumb but hardly "disgusting". I was expecting something racist or otherwise offensive, not a grinning camel talking about a pre order bonus.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If Assassins Creed taught me one thing over the years then it is that preorder missions are rarely worth it anyway.

This example is also just once more reason, among many others, to not buy at gamestop.

Every single outlet that reported on it hasn't retracted the story or has any editorial note saying it's fake and it's on Vox's CDN and appears all over their sites and I've seen it elsewhere too.

Seems I was mistaken. Gross ad, that's for sure.

Just for some perspective, the last few AC games have used extra missions as pre-order bonuses, and IIRC they usually become available to everyone later (via separate purchase of a few bucks) and, probably more importantly, are rarely all that good.

So, while the ad is definitely tone-deaf and awful, it's not advertising anything that hasn't been done for a few years now (doesn't mean it's a good thing, just that it's not new). Now, if this content was exclusive to GameStop, that would be something else entirely.

Arcteryx

TBF, 99% of these "missions" you get as a pre-order bonus are complete shit anyways. No loss here.

The things that DO suck are pre-order ONLY items.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
TBF, 99% of these "missions" you get as a pre-order bonus are complete shit anyways. No loss here.

The things that DO suck are pre-order ONLY items.
I mean those are usually negligible too. The only time I remember those making a difference was the Vlad the Impaler mission in Revelations. The sword that mission gave me literally never needed to be changed throughout the whole game.
aDKHkrC.png

But now that items have stats and levels that's no longer the case with pre-order weapons.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, if it's real, I have no problem with it and don't understand why anyone would. Pre-order bonuses have been around for a decade if not longer. And normally, pre-order bonuses usually become available for sale if you really want it that badly but don't want to pre-order.

Personally, I'll be pre-ordering ACO tomorrow and unlike most, I have no problems with pre-orders at all. After all, if you're buying the game on release day anyway, why wouldn't you pre-order the game? Plus, for me, I buy all my games at Best Buy so not only do I get 20% off of every new/sealed game purchase, some games come with a $10 pre-order certificate (basically, 500 points are added into your account) so for games that I know im buying on release day anyway, it makes sense to get it for what will two weeks later be $38.

I have The Evil Within 2 pre-ordered. Will pre-order Assassin's Creed Origins, Super Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein 2 tomorrow and Call of Duty: World War II at the end of the month so including GCU and pre-order points, all five games will end up costing me $231.25 including sales tax which saves me almost $100 and I get every game day one which to be perfectly honest, im doing anyway.

May also pre-order Star Wars Battlefront II (im 50/50 on it as I want to see more, a lot more of the campaign) and im definitely pre-ordering Far Cry 5 come February.

Best Buy with GCU and pre-order points/certs is fucking awesome.

The funniest thing is that even if you pre-order the game, you can always cancel it, return it (if shipped to you) or not pick it up within seven days for a full refund. I will never ever see pre-ordering games and bonuses as a problem but to each their own.

erawsd

I think the disconnect here is that Gamestop would likely disagree that preorder bonuses are a disgusting practice. So I wouldn't expect them to advertise this stuff with some level of "sensitivity" to the subject.

Besides that, I agree with others that I don't really see the issue anyway. I think Gamestop is an absolutely vile business. I think pre-order bonuses are real shitty. However, I don't think this ad is any worst than one that boasts "Get the amazing Camel Mission only if you pre-order at Gamestop!." They'd both say exactly the same thing, this one just has a lot less fluff.

kewlmyc

Came in expecting something sexist or racist. Not sure if I'm happy or disappointed it's just people mad at an ad making fun of locked content.

Van Bur3n

Pfffh, if you think this is disgusting, then you ain't seen shit. Look at Edge's or Game Informer's list of top RPGs then come back to me.

That's what I would call ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

Audioboxer

It's actually pretty funny. Funny because that is the state of the industry summed up in an ad. It does appear to be like a troll-joke ad from the internet as well lol. Not surprised to see some familiar faces in here defending... Gamestop of all places.

It's not quite as funny as Sony's "timed" exclusive content for Destiny coming to the Xbox version AFTER Destiny 2 came out. That shit takes the win this generation I think.

Top Bottom