• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers doing a Zelda Timeline Video. (Analysis? Opinion?)

RagnarokX

It does absolutely come out of nowhere. He just conveniently receives his triforce fragment just has he's about to be executed. The entirety of Twilight Princess hinges on an asspull. The game doesn't go into any explanation other than Ganondorf's "Lololololol gods are on my side" and fans are left to make up excuses. Oh it's because of this game and at that moment and blah blah blah blah.

But it didn't come out of nowhere. Link has his triforce piece in the ending of OoT, why wouldn't Ganon?

ASIS

That was fantastic. I absolutely loved everything about it. That said, I'm 100% sure that Nintendo is thinking of making yet ANOTHER split, but this time in Skyward Sword.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
That was fantastic. I absolutely loved everything about it. That said, I'm 100% sure that Nintendo is thinking of making yet ANOTHER split, but this time in Skyward Sword.

They can basically make a split at any game if Link "dies", but I'd love to see a "Fallen Link" story before Wind Waker. Dream Zelda game there :p

Pappasman

I cried at the end.

I love the Zelda series. Its why I buy Nintendo systems, and I truly believe its the best gaming franchise out there. Its just... nostalgic, good, and the music.. DAT MUSIC. Great job GameTrailers

yup, Zelda is only series that can make me emotional just by hearing the music.

sphinx

the piano man
I cried at the end.

I love the Zelda series. Its why I buy Nintendo systems, and I truly believe its the best gaming franchise out there. Its just... nostalgic, good, and the music.. DAT MUSIC. Great job GameTrailers

better or worse zeldas can come, SD, HD, but this remains the biggest adventure series out there, so I agree :)

and yeah, they used the most beautiful tunes in every game and with the ZREO arrangements, it's hard to get ahold o myself as a zelda fan.

Tookay

If you want to use this explanation, why didn't he receive it as soon as Link came back to the past?

Maybe he did? It just didn't reveal itself until Ganon was nearly killed.

In some of the other games, for example OoT, Link had the Triforce of Courage residing in him in the adult timeline, but the crest didn't reveal itself until the end of the game.

We don't know explicitly how the crest symbol works.

EDIT: I think you're assuming too much about the cutscene being the moment where he "received" it, just because the crest appeared.

EDIT2: tldr; just because the characters in TP treat it like an asspull, doesn't mean it is one if you've paid attention to the other games, as vague as they may be.

Rehynn

I cried at the end.

Same here. Damn, it felt good to relive the whole series, nice job, GT!

I dream of a Zelda game in which Link returns to Sunken Hyrule to restore the kingdom.

RagnarokX

If you want to use this explanation, why didn't he receive it as soon as Link came back to the past?

He did. Link had the triforce of courage inside him for the entirety of the Adult Link part of OoT but didn't know about it until Zelda told him. The symbol didn't appear on his hand until the final boss battle.

ASIS

They can basically make a split at any game if Link "dies", but I'd love to see a "Fallen Link" story before Wind Waker. Dream Zelda game there :p
That's not what I'm talking about. When Link first came to the surface, something happened that pretty much nobody really cared for. But I think its a clue for things to come especially since the timeline was revealed shortly after.

What I'm talking about is this:
Picture3-1.png

Impa should already know how the events should work out, so what she says there really means that things changed, that would also explain why the ending of the game was not in line with the beginning

Of course I could be very wrong, but still.

RagnarokX

That's not what I'm talking about. When Link first came to the surface, something happened that pretty much nobody really cared for. But I think its a clue for things to come especially since the timeline was revealed shortly after.

What I'm talking about is this:
Picture3-1.png

Impa should already know how the events should work out, so what she says there really means that things changed, that would also explain why the ending of the game was not in line with the beginning

Of course I could be very wrong, but still.

I think she's just saying that things didn't go exactly according to Hylia's plan.

ASIS

I think she's just saying that things didn't go exactly according to Hylia's plan.

She said that everything was pre-destined, she already lived through these events. I think it means more than Hylia's plan. I honestly think this is a leeway for Nintendo to do something there.

Wiz

I also love Skyward Sword for the fact that after you finish playing it you have the satisfaction of knowing why the hell everything that comes after it is the way it is. Makes the other games easier to put into perspective.

He did. Link had the triforce of courage inside him for the entirety of the Adult Link part of OoT but didn't know about it until Zelda told him. The symbol didn't appear on his hand until the final boss battle.
He did? How does young Link still even have the triforce of courage when his adventure still hasn't happened yet? If things played out like before without Link and Zelda tattling on Ganondorf, Ganondorf would be having Link opening the gate to the Sacred Realm with the Triforce not being there at all.

EDIT: I think you're assuming too much about the cutscene being the moment where he "received" it, just because the crest appeared.
I'm assuming as much as what the gamed showed me. Ganondorf breaks his chains, shows off his fist and the sage calls it a divine prank. Whether he received it then, or had it before that, him realizing it as he's dying feels contrived.

RagnarokX

She said that everything was pre-destined, she already lived through these events. I think it means more than Hylia's plan. I honestly think this is a leeway for Nintendo to do something there.

Yes, things are predestined because she already saw what happened. But what happened still wasn't exactly what Hylia planned. Hylia made her plan without knowledge of the future.

Young Impa had no future knowledge and had to rescue Zelda since she didn't get to the surface in the way Hylia had planned.

ASIS

Yes, things are predestined because she already saw what happened. But what happened still wasn't exactly what Hylia planned. Hylia made her plan without knowledge of the future.

Hylia's plan was to be in danger in the first place for Link to come and save her no? If that wasn't her plan then what was?

I know I may be reading too much into this, but that line plus the fact that The Master Sword is rested in the past, not the present screams timeline split.

EDIT:
Impa was chosen as an "agent" of hylia before she turned herself into Zelda, she knew everything

CorvoSol

It does absolutely come out of nowhere. He just conveniently receives his triforce fragment just has he's about to be executed. The entirety of Twilight Princess hinges on an asspull. The game doesn't go into any explanation other than Ganondorf's "Lololololol gods are on my side" and fans are left to make up excuses. Oh it's because of this game and at that moment and blah blah blah blah.

Does there need to be more explanation than that Din is on Ganondorf's side? Isn't it obvious by now that she is? The man survived multiple deaths because her portion of the Triforce was with him, and it was with him because he embodied the qualities it did. For all we know, Ganon may be exactly the kind of man Din was looking for.

sphinx

the piano man
can someone tell me exactly what arrangement from the Spirit Tracks' overworld theme is that around minute 25:05...is there a youtube link to that arrangement???

I'd really appreciate it.

I need to plug it into my veins

Tookay

He did? How does young Link still even have the triforce of courage when his adventure still hasn't happened yet? If things played out like before without Link and Zelda tattling on Ganondorf, Ganondorf would be having Link opening the gate to the Sacred Realm with the Triforce not being there at all.

The same way he has knowledge of what happened in OoT and tells it to Zelda before it can be repeated: he got to retain kowledge/the Triforce with him on the way back home.

I'm assuming as much as what the gamed showed me. Ganondorf breaks his chains, shows off his fist and the sage calls it a divine prank. Whether he received it then, or had it before that, him realizing it as he's dying feels contrived.

The TP sages aren't aware of what happened in the adult timeline of OoT so of course they'd think it's a divine prank. Just because this is a surprise to the characters that it appeared, doesn't mean it's an asspull. It's been set up through multiple games that a character can be a bearer (or worthy of bearing it at least) for a long time, but not even be aware of it until the crest appears at important events.

The same way he has knowledge of what happened in OoT and tells it to Zelda before it can be repeated: he got to retain kowledge/the Triforce with him on the way back home.
Isn't the adult Link's triforce of courage the one that broke up into eight pieces that you collect in Wind Waker? How does Young Link still have it?

So...OoT Link gets his piece of triforce after he pulls the Master Sword out, when he goes back to the past at the end, the Triforce of courage that he had then comes out of him, breaks apart into eight pieces and becomes the wind waker triforce of courage, and as he's going back in time, he receives the other triforce of courage that hasn't actually split apart from the original yet since Ganondorf hasn't executed his plan yet.

This is what youre trying to say?
The TP sages aren't aware of what happened in the adult timeline of OoT so of course they'd think it's a divine prank. Just because this is a surprise to the characters that it appeared, doesn't mean it's an asspull. It's been set up through multiple games that a character can be a bearer (or worthy of bearing it at least) for a long time, but not even be aware of it until the crest appears at important events.
Why wouldn't they be aware of what happened in the adult timeline? You just said that Link retained his knowledge, would he not know to tell Zelda and them about his adventure? How was Ganondorf convicted again?

sphinx

the piano man

thank you. :)

man, the ending of the GT video, I have watched it and heard it like 10 times, It has hyped me like crazy with that music and that freaking Zelda ceiling, it's sooo cool.

Fi's Lament is a beautiful piece and the main Zelda:SS theme has grown on me, it's simple but very distinctive.

EDIT: HEY! ist that from the CD that came with the special edition of skyward Sword? I have that CD!!

Amazing video but the whole timeline falls apart with the fallen hero timeline. OH AND BTW LINK DIED IN THAT FIGHT. lol....so bad. Just admit you didn't care about timeline and just did whatever.

Majukun

the only possible explanation is that ganondorf was already the vessel for the triforce of power.
In ocarina of time is stated that when the triforce is touched by a man who is unbalanced,he can grasp only the piece that represents the quality he believes in the most,in ganondorf case,it was power,while the other two piece are "programmed" to go to the "chosen ones".

so,even if ganondorf didn't obtain the triforce "by force" in that timeline,he was still the destined vessel for the triforce of power (if we count Demise as a proto-ganon,we can say that the "triforce trio" was bonded together from the beginning.)

it's an excuse of course,i'm still convinced that while a good part of the timeline was programmed,many aspects weren't ,and that's why nintendo was so reluctant to release an official timeline.

the thing that sound the most as an excuse for me is the fact that they say that the ganon of 4 swords adventures in the child link timeline is not a "real ganon",but a different entity,who has the same name and the same look...kinda lame..

CorvoSol

Isn't the adult Link's triforce of courage the one that broke up into eight pieces that you collect in Wind Waker? How does Young Link still have it?

Adult Link's Triforce obviously remains in the adult timeline as well. Otherwise there would be Two Triforces of Courage in the Child Timeline, and since that's never brought up, the easiest explanation is that that's not the case.

wrowa

Wow, the production values are definitely astonishing.

Seeing the timeline again, made me realize it's pretty much packed. Maybe I'm missing something right now, but everything post-OoT doesn't seem to have space left for new stories.

If they are further following this timeline, I wonder where the next Zelda game is going to be located. Something following Skyward? Or is it establishing an all new story arc?

Anth0ny

Okay that was incredible. Amazing production values and the use of the entire Zelda Symphony tracklist worked PERFECTLY.

Much needed upgrade over the Zelda retrospective timeline video from 2006, lol

They should have done the believable thing and just said The Legend of Zelda is just that, a series of legends. I know it's cooler to have a timeline and whatnot, but if you didn't plan for it, don't try it pls.

Mariolee

Sorry to say this, but perhaps it's my notebook, perhaps it's the site. Either way, I'm having a hard time enjoying this video because Gametrailers has such a shitty player. It jumps, slows down, has 6 advertisements after 3 minutes even though I haven't reached one of the preset "commercial breaks". What the hell?

The video itself seems very well done, but still. :(

Tookay

So...OoT Link gets his piece of triforce after he pulls the Master Sword out, when he goes back to the past at the end, the Triforce of courage that he had then comes out of him, breaks apart into eight pieces and becomes the wind waker triforce of courage, and as he's going back in time, he receives the other triforce of courage that hasn't actually split apart from the original yet since Ganondorf hasn't executed his plan yet.

This is what youre trying to say?

More or less. OoT Link gets his piece of the Triforce after Ganon touches it in the Sacred Realm and it splits because his heart isn't in balance.

When he goes back in time, the ToC doesn't come with him and splits, setting up TWW's Triforce hunt.

When he returns to "his" timeline (the child one), he receives his piece because he was fated to; it splits there for everybody else too.

OR (to add a wrinkle) he just retains the symbol because he was fated to. Same with Ganon. If I recall correctly, the crest can appear before one even has the Triforce, it just means you are worthy. There's nothing that explicitly says Ganon had the Triforce of Power in TP, we just evidence he has the mark and some of its power. The fact that it fades away and he dies is interesting, because that wasn't possible when he actually possessed the Triforce of Power.

Why wouldn't they be aware of what happened in the adult timeline? You just said that Link retained his knowledge, would he not know to tell Zelda and them about his adventure? How was Ganondorf convicted again?

I should have been more clear: we don't know whether or not the sages are aware of what happened. Their surprise indicates that they don't know, though, or at least don't understand the properties of the Triforce. Zelda and Link probably told the king what Ganondorf had done (he did after all, kill the Deku Tree by the point of their first meeting). And probably what he planned to do (sack the castle and invade the Sacred Realm). Whether or not they explained the rest of what happened... who knows. Regardless, just because Ganon gets convicted doesn't mean that everybody, even the sages, knows in full what happened in the adult timeline.

Majukun

now we have a timeline where ganon is dead but revivable,one where we have a ganon that is not ganon and one where there isn't a ganon anymore....
i wonder where the will place the next episode.

mantidor

I lol'ed at "timeline theorists".

Nice video, I can't believe I wasted almost 40 minutes in it, there sure is a lot of lore for Zelda. The warm feeling Skyward Sword gave me at the end is very related in how it ties the subsequent games, it made Zelda's universe a more cohesive one. Sounds corny, but the whole thing became legendary, I felt the need to play all the other Zelda games.

I do have some complains about the production but it would seem like nitpicking.

wrowa

They should have done the believable thing and just said The Legend of Zelda is just that, a series of legends. I know it's cooler to have a timeline and whatnot, but if you didn't plan for it, don't try it pls.

Well, all Zeldas prior to OoT followed a timeline and the same is true for all major Zeldas that followed Ocarina. The problem is just that pre-OoT and post-OoT don't mesh together all too well. Dumping LttP, LA. Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 into a "Fallen Hero" what-if timeline solves this issue pretty smartly, though.

They shouldn't have shoehorned the Capcom Zelda into the canons, though. It's quite obvious that no one cared whether or not their stories fit in the canon established (by Aounuma?) after OoT.

MYE

This video made me go full Zelda-bitch mode. I just bought Zelda1 and Link's Adventure on the 3DS eshop

Thanks GT

Tookay

the thing that sound the most as an excuse for me is the fact that they say that the ganon of 4 swords adventures in the child link timeline is not a "real ganon",but a different entity,who has the same name and the same look...kinda lame..

This is where the GT video did FSA a disservice, though, because it excluded all its side story setting up a new Ganon and made it sound like it's completely out of left field.

In the game itself, you hear about how this desert leader Ganondorf sought the Trident, was eventually shunned by the Gerudo, and transformed into Ganon after obtaining the Trident. That should have raised eyebrows that it wasn't the same guy because it conflicted with the backstory to the Ganon we know in OoT/TWW/TP.

It was pretty explicit it was a different Ganon from the start. It's still kind of lame, but it wasn't a Hyrule Historia retcon.

Well, all Zeldas prior to OoT followed a timeline and the same is true for all major Zeldas that followed Ocarina. The problem is just that pre-OoT and post-OoT don't mesh together all too well. Dumping LttP, LA. Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 into a "Fallen Hero" what-if timeline solves this issue pretty smartly, though.

They shouldn't have shoehorned the Capcom Zelda into the canons, though. It's quite obvious that no one cared whether or not their stories fit in the canon established (by Aounuma?) after OoT.
it solves the issue but it's completely fabricated. You can't simply invent a timeline based on a made up thing that didn't actually happen. That's the problem with it. Two timelines is buyable but the fallen hero one was just invented to try and make everything fit, and it shows.

Game Guru

This is where the GT video did FSA a disservice, though, because it excluded all its side story setting up a new Ganon and made it sound like it's completely out of left field.

In the game itself, you hear about how this desert leader Ganondorf sought the Trident, was eventually shunned by the Gerudo, and transformed into Ganon after obtaining the Trident. That should have raised eyebrows that it wasn't the same guy because it conflicted with the backstory to the Ganon we know in OoT/TWW/TP.

It was pretty explicit it was a different Ganon from the start. It's still kind of lame, but it wasn't a Hyrule Historia retcon.

Not really... If you think about it, that makes perfect sense compared to killing Ganon forever. I mean if Link and Zelda can reincarnate game after game after game because they are the chosen wielders of the Triforce of Courage and Triforce of Wisdom then doesn't it make complete sense that Ganon can reincarnate because he's the chosen wielder of the Triforce of Power? It's just that Ganon rarely incarnates because he's almost always the same character in all the other games.

As for Demise, much like Hylia, Demise obviously took on the mortal form of Ganondorf by Ocarina of Time much like Hylia took on the mortal form of Zelda.

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)
No youtube link yet? I want to watch this on TV...
Nope, no Youtube link.

I really feel for you, and hopefully the download button gets up soon so you can just get the file and watch it in your own media player. However, I have to report any unauthorized hosting of the video and those videos willl be killed pretty quickly. I'll try to get it on YouTube at some point if possible (like Pop Fiction), but it's not exactly my call to make.

We said in FSA that it was a new Ganon (as in, totally new entity) with no "memory" of his former incarnation. Connect that dot with the fact that Demise said he would be re-incarnated, and that's all the info the average person really needs.

Listen, I get that some who are well-versed in Zelda lore are going to find this video a bit bare bones by skipping over stuff "theorists" consider crucial info. However, in the earlier forms of this project, the script was a massive lore dump that was getting incomprehensible to anyone other than the most dedicated "theorist". I was frustrated at this because it felt like short changing the magnitude of some aspects of the timeline debate.

However, the point of this video is just to give you a basic understanding of why the timeline is so convoluted (prequels, more prequels, random games with no connection, retconned info, out of left field official statements) and how the games connect in the "official" order. You don't need the lore dump/wiki style recap that would bore most people to death.Quite frankly, that type of thing would scare many off because it's just too ridiculous and too much info to process.

If you want to get the full grasp of everything, a video is not the right way to go. Go over to one of the many Zelda fan sites or Wikis and dive in - walls of text and translations and interviews await you. It took many of us "theorists" years to fully understand everything, and honestly, I don't think anyone, not even Nintendo, fully understands every detail.

Top Bottom