• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

Ploid 3.0

I think the ground fighting might be a micro management thing. Like say you're playing age of the empire and ace combat at the same time on the same game. You're fighting stuff in the air and notice that your army on the ground are a bit out numbered or have some problems with the enemy seige force tearing down your stuff. You then pick out things that need to be taken out to allow your troops to take care of themselves and continue with what you was doing in the sky. Kinda a bad way of putting it but thats what i'm thinking they meant in the videos.

I've been consistently negative on the graphics aspect of this game since the very first media. However, the gametrailers footage has made me do a nearly complete 180. It looks fantastic, though I would REALLY like to see the other areas as this one is already played out.

Ploid 3.0

On page 6 of this thread there is a face to face shot of the different looks of the dragon. One looks like it's downgraded and the other looks like a touched up picture, or something from specs that's not the ps3. Thing is they're the same. All the teeth are in the simple one, even the polygons. The only difference is the image quality, the lighting and texture. Very alpha or test mode it seem. While the one on the other side has appear to have all of it's features turned on. Yeah, I want to see more areas. Not because I'm not sold on it, but because I want moar.

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
lairavrilbis1.jpg

lairavrilbis2.jpg

lairavrilbis11.jpg

lairavrilbis3.jpg

lairavrilbis4.jpg

lairavrilbis5.jpg

lairavrilbis6.jpg

lairavrilbis7.jpg

lairavrilbis8.jpg

lairavrilbis9.jpg

lairavrilbis10.jpg

lairavrilbis12.jpg

lairavrilbis13.jpg

lairavrilbis14.jpg

Insertia

Some parts look absolutely amazing. Really it's one of the best looking titles shown so far this gen. Then you have some shots (particularly the bridge which has been shown 1000000 times) which look unfinished and sloppy.

The dragon, unfortunatley, is still hideous though. I mean, really, the wing design and coloration just makes for a whole lot of ugly and you'll have to stare at it most of the game.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The dragon, unfortunatley, is still hideous though. I mean, really, the wing design and coloration just makes for a whole lot of ugly and you'll have to stare at it most of the game.
What!!! I thought the dragons looked amazing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Forsete said:
The game looks great most of the time.. the ground parts dont look that hot IMO.. Should have left out the ground parts.

That's the great part about the game. You don't have to fight on the ground if you don't want to.

Just fly over their heads and burn them to death. Or rip off a rhino head and bowl that shit into them to kill 'em.

Hagi23

You know looking at how badly IGN screwed the vids of LAIR it makes me wonder are they deliberately trying to sabotage this game? Its seems pretty obvious to me that they got the same media everyone else got and screwed around with it for whatever reason.

Bottomline IGN just sucks that is all carry on. :)

PnCIa

Did I said something bad about this games graphics...I´m sorry. Holy **** this is some amazing shit, and the scale makes me go wow.

jett

D-Member
Both screenshots were supplied by Factor 5, and both Gamespot and IGN(the only difference is that IGN blew up all the screens from 720p to 1080p) have them. It's just the lighting that makes it look like that.

Although, really, Lair is pretty much a two-faced bitch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jett said:
Both screenshots were supplied by Factor 5, and both Gamespot and IGN(the only difference is that IGN blew up all the screens from 720p to 1080p) have them. It's just the lighting that makes it look like that.

Although, really, Lair is pretty much a two-faced bitch.

No not really. In all the videos I've seen the face of the dragon never looks as bad as the IGN screenshot.

Hagi23 said:
lair_swipe.gif

i cant wait
That specific scene is where I paused at first.

Not because I was stunned or something, but because it seemed to be a rare solid look at the texture work which so often screens seem muddy or videos just don't show close-up and well lighted.

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:
No not really. In all the videos I've seen the face of the dragon never looks as bad as the IGN screenshot.

Yeah whatever, point is IGN and Gamespot both have the same screenshots.

929230_20070413_screen014.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/102/reviews/929230_20070413_screen014.jpg

Stillmatic

ThirdEye said:
Probably the IGN one was played on a 720p monitor

The Gamespot footage i used to take the screen grap was 720p. Also from Gamespot's preview, they say they viewed the game in 720p, so i take it 720p was the native res of the footage we've been seeing.

We saw the game running at 720p resolution, but Eggebrecht said the final game will also have a 1080p option, and both modes are targeted to run at 30 frames per second, since resolution apparently has little impact on overall frame rate in this particular game.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot&page=2

1-D_FTW

Somebody supplied identical Ninja Gaiden screenshots in one of the other LAIR threads. IGN's was all aliased and jaggy looking compared to Gamespots smooth shots. It's pretty clear it's no conspiracy... other than a conspiracy to save bandwith by IGN and the resulting over compression that comes with it.

Those two video's look amazing. A ton better than the earlier movies posted.

Amir0x

Banned
holy crap @ Lair developer walkthrough. The part where during when the game is paused and he's swooping over the waterfall to reveal a huge aerial dragon battle with massive buildings as far as the eye can see is just insane. Wow, just wow.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The two developer walkthrough vids are shit hot. Very cool looking.

...Those fire effects really need to be completely overhauled though, they look last gen.

Tieno

The developer walkthrough made me more interested. Still not that fond of the dry sunburn look of the game. The maps seem to be gigantic.

Mononofu

Wollan said:
I was totally blown away by the city. It looked like Naboo or something from Star Wars.

QFT

*bows before Factor 5*

The city totally looks like a CGI movie in the sense that a million freaking things are in motion at once. Now anybody wanna wager their core duo 2's can pull this off? :)

Tieno

I really want to play a demo of this game. Something like this benefits so much from playing and running it on your tv. Anyone know when the demo is supposed to hit?

spwolf

Tieno said:
I really want to play a demo of this game. Something like this benefits so much from playing and running it on your tv. Anyone know when the demo is supposed to hit?

more recent trailer would be an good thing to start with...

ELS-01X

Banned
dfyb said:
i made an anigif of that and a few other moments but they're uploaded on a forum-specific uploader atm. working them over now (super motel 8 internet is slow)

more, including the one you requested, coming shortly

edit:

this is what you wanted right?
bow.gif
05finalb.gif
bow.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oni Jazar said:
Maybe the dragon's face looks that way because of the light source shining on his face?
Bingo. No one seems capable of compensating for the way dynamic lighting is capable of both clarifying and washing out detail.

Top Bottom