• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Top 10 Shopkeepers

The Argus

Aw no mention of Jeb Murphy from Red Dead Redemption. His conspiracies and old fashioned racism/ignorance made for some fun gun buyin' and target practice.

Espada

Goddamn, this is a pretty good list. Slim Cognito definitely getting the credit he deserves, what a funny vendor.

I do agree with everyone else saying Rodin should've been on this list. Funny guy, and cool too.

I'm glad Rusty made the list, but no Crazy Redd? No Ravio?! Ravio deserves to be on the list just for his antics if you buy out the whole store.

Jachaos

Good list, all shopkeepers in Persona are unique and interesting but Daidara deserves that spot.

This list is missing Anna from Fire Emblem though.

Also the Kokiri who jumps to see over the counter in Ocarina of Time. This dude must have mad leg and arm strength.

I would have put the merchant from RE4 at #1 too, but I see why Tom Nook got it....

Gametrailers still paying off the debt from their servers

149933.jpg

the GOAT

This

But jeah the RE4 guy is awesome.

Kriken

What are ya buyin'?
What are ya sellin'?
AH! I'll buy that at a high price
Come back anytime.

RE4 Merchant>Tom Nook

Not a bad list but the video itself was weird. Way too much narration, let us actually hear more of the characters you're talking about.

Mory Dunz

Wow, GAF, no mention of:
secretofmanadance.gif

secretofmanadance.gif

secretofmanadance.gif

so far?
(Secret of Mana)

Not a bad list but the video itself was weird. Way too much narration, let us actually hear more of the characters you're talking about.

Yeah, I wanted to hear how the MGS4 sounded.

That "more desperate than Gil from the Simpsons" line was hilarious though.

HereticJ

No Master Librarian invalidates this list.

LIbrarian: "But Young Master, I cannot aid one who opposes the Master."

Alucard: "You will not go unrewarded..."

Librarian: "Well in that case, tell me what you need!"

Love that guy. He's the only normal person in Dracula's castle, apparently managing that Library full of flying book-monsters and Shakespearean, rapier-wielding skeletons, yet for a little cash he will look the other way. Just an absolutely baffling character.

HereticJ

Are Moogles really merchants though? I don't remember them selling anything in the games.

Stiltzkin was the traveling Moogle merchant in FFIX similar to O'aka from FFX, although you didn't have to actually invest in Stiltzkin's shop and it wasn't his main profession. I think he was just traveling the world and sold things along the way to pay for his trips.

Kater

Banned
I really liked the Mudcrab Merchant from Morrowind but I don't know if he would be Top Ten material. Hilarious character nonetheless!

dogate_EE-sineei09.jpg

"'How dry I am... how dry I am... how dry I am... how dry I am...' SHAY! Hi. There. Lesh make a deal. I got... stuff. Lots. Here. See?"
His greeting text. 😄

Duster

I assume Pork Bun man from Sleeping Dogs missed out due to a technicality in the criteria and that Fawful doesn't really count as he's better known for other things.
However I agree with those saying there's no excuse for omitting Spelunky and LA's a shopkeepers.

At least I can't argue with the top two.

FluxWaveZ

Recette sucks and is so fucking generic. She ruined that game for me.

Merchant should be #1.

When I started playing Recettear, I really feared that I would very quickly be put off by it because of the art style and, specifically, the main character Recette. However, I think calling her generic is disingenuous to the game's fantastic localization, and just how self-aware and subtly clever they made Recette.

Torneko Taloon, GOAT shopkeeper from Dragon Quest IV

r7rjGnL.gif

Yeah seriously, fuck moogles. You get to play as this guy. It was awesome during the NES era! There was nothing like it. Actually run a shop and engage in buying low and selling high across the world.

Top Bottom