• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gamingbolt: Xbox One sales at 26 million"

Sanpei

i thought ps4 would be enough for games and i dont regret that.
i am keeping my money for Scorpio....It's time is ok for me for an upgrade

Pro didnt give that thought to me and i am happy with my ps4 slim...

So Scorpio will be a real upgrade to me...I hope i am right

Electret

If you mean the Scorpio outselling the XB1S? It will never happen.

At the very least it's going to be years. PS4 and XB1S will have very substantial price differences from their successors for the entirety of that period of time (e.g., until they are phased out).

Note: Pro did 15% of total PS4 sales in December. Though it's a very price-conscious month, we should expect a similar ratio moving forward. Further, I don't see why we should expect a significantly different split for Scorpio. It's also marketed as an iterative upgrade to a smaller user base, among which a significant portion of otherwise upgrading users to Scorpio may have been siphoned off by upgrading to the S model within the last few months.

At the very least it's going to be years. PS4 and XB1S will have very substantial price differences from their successors for the entirety of that period of time (e.g., until they are phased out).

Note: Pro did 15% of total PS4 sales in December. Though it's a very price-conscious month, we should expect a similar ratio moving forward. Further, I don't see why we should expect a significantly different split for Scorpio. It's also marketed as an iterative upgrade to a smaller user base, among which a significant portion of otherwise upgrading users to Scorpio may have been siphoned off by upgrading to the S model within the last few months.
People are getting caught up in their own expectations and desires.

Let them dream.

zewone

You cannot be serious?

How many decades will it take just out of interest?

Oh. Well, it won't.

The XB1S will be $200-$250 by the time the Scorpio is out which will be $400-$500.

Most people don't even have a 4K TV and don't care about resolution or frames per second.

The Scorpio is a niche product.

That seems ... incredibly unlikely. Holiday 2017 the slim (cheaper) versions of both consoles will be king and the niche versions (PS4 Pro, Xbox One Scorpio) will make up right around 20% of sales.

This is assuming a $400 price point for Xbox One Scorpio. If it costs more, the share will be less.

doesn't it also matter how they market the damn thing.

I guess for that generation yeah. No wonder they got complacent immediately after that with that kinda attitude. Harsh lesson indeed- winning a war by a massive margin doesn't mean smooth selling in the next one.

Yup they got way too cocky after that.

The strange thing I could never understand was why MS got the same way after the 360 despite selling the least consoles in that generation.

MisterR

People expecting Scorpio to be a niche product, do these same people also consider PS4 Pro to be niche?

Also, I literally laugh at the notion that people not having 4K televisions will in any way prevent people from picking up Scorpio. Hey, it won't. The benefits of the system will still be obvious from a visual and gameplay standpoint, even if it not as big a jump as it would be with a proper 4K TV. 4K television adoption will not hurt Scorpio.

Yes. They are both niche products. When the Scorpio rolls around you'll most likely be able to get a PS4 or One S for around $200 during the Christmas season. They will continue to drive the vast majority of sales.

It's selling better than Sony's expectations (even mine, I had guessed 10%).

It's a niche product.

People need to let that sink in and set themselves up for realistic sales expectations for XB1 Scorpio.

To be fair XB1 Scorpio will feel like a substancial upgrade over the regular XB1 unlike the PS4 Pro to that of the regular PS4. I also think Scorpio will have a lot more games ready that gamers can see a difference in right away. Pricing will be key though.

Theonik

To be fair XB1 Scorpio will feel like a substancial upgrade over the regular XB1 unlike the PS4 Pro to that of the regular PS4. I also think Scorpio will have a lot more games ready that gamers can see a difference in right away. Pricing will be key though.
You are making a lot of key assumptions in your post you need to consider. People don't game in a vacuum they are exposed to PS4 games and for almost a whole year to PS4 Pro games they won't compare it to Xbox One. The ones that do already own an Xbox One so are pretty much irrelevant here for Microsoft's end goal which is growing the W10 gaming audience NOT getting X1 owners to upgrade. To do that they need to not only get new players that will be looking at the PS4 as well when buying but also get traction with PS4 and PS4 Pro owners which is a lot harder to do due to how invested people already are in this platform. This isn't a wipe of the existing slate with what we have seen. It needs to feel like a big update vs Sony's offerings. MS isn't competing with themselves.

There is a LOT for MS to land if they want to impress.

You are making a lot of key assumptions in your post you need to consider. People don't game in a vacuum they are exposed to PS4 games and for almost a whole year to PS4 Pro games they won't compare it to Xbox One. The ones that do already own an Xbox One so are pretty much irrelevant here for Microsoft's end goal which is growing the W10 gaming audience NOT getting X1 owners to upgrade. To do that they need to not only get new players that will be looking at the PS4 as well when buying but also get traction with PS4 and PS4 Pro owners which is a lot harder to do due to how invested people already are in this platform. This isn't a wipe of the existing slate with what we have seen. It needs to feel like a big update vs Sony's offerings. MS isn't competing with themselves.

There is a LOT for MS to land if they want to impress.

I doubt Scorpio is aimed at attracting PS4 Pro owners. There are lots of potential customers out there who don't have anything yet. We've also witnessed some spikes in sales with the Xbox One S. I don't know where you are coming from to suggest those that already own an Xbox One are irrelevant as I'm sure some of them traded up just like PS4 owners traded up to the Pro.

doesn't it also matter how they market the damn thing.

It is. But actually we already know the basic message: "Fastest console on the planet!, play the best lineup in XBOX history!, 4k Blu-Ray playback!". Not even joking right now.

What we do not know is the price, but I asume no one thinks it will be cheaper than $399.

If they stick to sharing the games library with XBOX One S - which they will - then we basically know all we have to judge how Scorpio is going to sell - compared to a $249 XBOX One S, that is.

Septic360

Banned
Yup they got way too cocky after that.

The strange thing I could never understand was why MS got the same way after the 360 despite selling the least consoles in that generation.

Probably because they did what was thought to be inconceivable at the time and really bring the hurt to Sony last gen.

But yeah, considering how complacent they got this gen and the colossal fuck ups they made, you'd think they had a monopoly in the industry last gen.

Top Bottom