• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker Media files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/gawker-media-files-chapter-11-901536

Gawker Media has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after a Florida judge issued a $140 million final judgment in favor of Hulk Hogan in the invasion-of-privacy lawsuit over the posting of a sex tape.

The online news organization founded in 2003 by Nick Denton which now includes other sites like Deadpin, Jezebel and Kotaku, reports that it has less than $100 million in assets.

More to come.

http://www.recode.net/2016/6/10/11903764/gawker-bankruptcy-chapter-11-sale-ziff-davis

Peter Thiel is getting closer to his goal: Gawker Media has filed for bankruptcy protection and says it eventually plans to find a new owner for the company.

Gawker and owner Nick Denton are making the Chapter 11 filing today, in order to avoid paying Thiel and Hulk Hogan the $140 million judgment they won in Hogan’s privacy trial earlier this year.

Gawker has told it employees it still plans to fight the Thiel/Hogan case and to operate its publishing business while it does so. But it is also now formally entertaining offers to buy the company and says it has a firm bid from publisher Ziff Davis to buy the entire operation for less than $100 million.

Gawker and its banker Mark Patricof assume that the company will eventually see higher bids while it is in bankruptcy protection. Last year, in advance of the Hogan trial, Denton figured his company was worth something in the $250 million to $300 million range.

But in any case the company won’t trade hands until Gawker either beats back Thiel and Hogan or it finishes a court-approved restructuring. Because no one wants to buy an ongoing lawsuit from Peter Thiel.

Ziff Davis itself is a company that has gone through the Chapter 11 process. The company was once a dominant force in the trade and hobbyist magazine business, but its fortunes declined along with the print industry, and it filed for bankruptcy protection in 2008.

Ziff Davis now operates a tech-centric stable of digital titles, including IGN, AskMen and PCMag, that it says reaches more than 100 million readers a month; the company is run by former Time Inc. exec Vivek Shah.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Hulk Smash!

Hulk-Hogan-Back-In-WWE-1050x654.jpg

Sulik2

Hopefully Kotaku writers land in good spots, Kotaku had really turned around in the last few years, shame it will blow up now.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Hopefully they can sell off io9, kotaku etc instead of closing them down.
Gawker itself needs to go, though.

CDX

Will the court now say that the Gawker owned websites like Kotaku and others have to be sold off now?

Tagyhag

Deserved, I feel bad for other employees not directly involved but such a shitty site will get bit back eventually.

Hopefully Kotaku writers land in good spots, Kotaku had really turned around in the last few years, shame it will blow up now.

Yep. Really got its shit together. They need to end up somewhere else than Ziff fucking Davis because we've seen how that's gone before.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Feel sorry for every other site except Gawker. They played fast and loose with what was news too much. I don't care about Hogan, but the Geithner bit did it for me.

I'm conflicted, Gawker Media has done a lot of bullshit in the past but it's not all awful, I really like Deadspin and Hulk is a terrible person.

Yeah, I'm seriously conflicted. On the on hand, I hate it when people lose their jobs (I don't even know if they've announced layoffs).

On the other hand, fuck Gawker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom