• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Modded my gbc with this

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/frontlight-kits

Nice to be able to play it in the dark. Colors are a little washed out, but it's not bad.

sQSE4BC.jpg

It's awful isn't it? And it's gotten even worse these last few years. Not just GBC/GBA too, but also SNES and N64.

Same thing with loose carts (in PAL regions).

Kinda makes sense though. If there's any part of the package that's gonna be lost, the manual seems like a prime candidate.

Windam

Scaley member
It's awful isn't it? And it's gotten even worse these last few years. Not just GBC/GBA too, but also SNES and N64.

Same thing with loose carts (in PAL regions).

All the games that are incomplete for me I either bought used (years and years ago), or traded for.

Zelda: Collector's Edition is missing the manual
Super Smash Bros. Melee is missing the manual
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is missing the manual
Pokemon Yellow is missing the manual
Zelda: The Minish Cap is missing everything x__x

To get all of these off eBay would cost me well over $100 (curse you, shipping!). *sigh*

All the games that are incomplete for me I either bought used (years and years ago), or traded for.

Zelda: Collector's Edition is missing the manual
Super Smash Bros. Melee is missing the manual
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is missing the manual
Pokemon Yellow is missing the manual
Zelda: The Minish Cap is missing everything x__x

To get all of these off eBay would cost me well over $100 (curse you, shipping!). *sigh*

could try to find good scans online and print your own. might cost you quite a bit if you dont have a decent printer, though

prateeko

I think this is the project that finally motivates me to get a soldering iron. Anyone have tips for a good one that is relatively inexpensive that would be good for projects like this?
Peagles should be able to give you some pointers. She seems to know her way around the soldering iron

Alright, I think I've picked out a soldering pencil that will work. 12w. People have been satisfied with the kitsch-bent frontlight kits, right? There are a few sites that sell them but that one does seem easiest.

**Any recommendations for loca? I really have no idea what the stuff is, or if it matters what brand I use.

Could add a resistor pot for that, don't think it would help much though.

Been thinking of getting Link's Awakening to play on my Game Boy Light recently, haven't played it in years.

Peltz

What games feature decent Super Gameboy support? I just got an RGB cable for my SNES and DK'94 looks glorious on it via SG.

Any other suggestions?

Rich!

What games feature decent Super Gameboy support? I just got an RGB cable for my SNES and DK'94 looks glorious on it via SG.

Any other suggestions?

Wario Land 2
Game and Watch Gallery Series
Kirbys Dreamland 2
Space Invaders (will blow your mind)
Galaga and Galaxian

Any other suggestions?

Space Invaders has an alternative SNES version of the game contained on the Game Boy cart that loads up when inserted into a Super Game Boy.

Rich!

Kirbys Dreamland 2 is AMAZING on the sgb (dynamic borders, amazing colours, SPC audio). The US version is expensive, so get the japanese version which is much cheaper. Its all english apart from the title screen.

-KRS-

I think there was a Hercules game on the GB that used the SNES audio when played on the Super GB. But the game itself is pretty terrible.

Edit: Oh and didn't Tetris DX have custom borders for the Super GB as well? And another set of custom borders if you played it on the Super GB2.

Rich!

I think there was a Hercules game on the GB that used the SNES audio when played on the Super GB. But the game itself is pretty terrible.

Edit: Oh and didn't Tetris DX have custom borders for the Super GB as well? And another set of custom borders if you played it on the Super GB2.

yeah

tetris 2 also had custom borders for the SGB...but you had to enter in a button combination to get them to display.

Dragon Warrior 1+2 and Dragon Warrior Monsters have a really nice borders that change as you go into different areas on SGB. You lose out on color in-game but the borders almost make it worth it.

-KRS-

Yeah it's pretty awesome. Bought a JP cart of it... not cheap but I got it for a pretty reasonable price. It is however incredibly short and easy which might make the steep price seem a bit ridiculous for what you get. Although to be fair I have not finished it yet since the last level has a boss rush which is pretty tough. And there are no continues so once you lose your lives it's game over. But man does that game have charm. All the enemies are pretty much unique throughout the game. You basically only run into one kind of enemy once. And the music is top notch. And the graphics are frankly amazing for the GB. So many small details everywhere. It kinda makes up for the short length.

Teknoman

Well on that note, are there any other platformers,shooters, or even RPGs that arent that well known, but I should keep an eye out for on the original GB?

-KRS-

I'd like to know that as well since I'm not that well versed with the GB library myself. I know there's that one shooter that is pretty rare and apparently quite fun, but I forget the name of it right now...

Teknoman

Yeah i'm good on GBC (for the most part) and definitely on GBA, but I know I missed out on alot of original GB titles that werent just made by Nintendo...or crappy ports (Mortal Kombat heh).

-KRS-

Apparently the game I was thinking of is called Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS. I'm not sure if it's rare or if I just remembered it because it's a technical masterpiece for the hardware, but I'd like to get my hands on it anyway.

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/ZASreview/reviews/ZAS/

Edit: Okay looking at ebay it seems it's at least ridiculously expensive... fuck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-...V_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item54078474a7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-...V_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item53fc20b6b8

So looking for original GB gems that I might've missed, I discovered Trip World. Now i'm tripping since its expensive : /

http://youtu.be/0ThLS_aCk_g

I dunno what kind of magic 8-bit Sunsoft had but man.

It's on JP 3DS virtual Console if you're looking for a cheap alternative.

I'd like to know that as well since I'm not that well versed with the GB library myself. I know there's that one shooter that is pretty rare and apparently quite fun, but I forget the name of it right now...

Chikyu Kaiho Gun ZAS? It's expensive and technically impressive, but totally average game IMO

Re: Trip world, if you're not aware of it, Gimmick is from the same devs and it's a pretty amazing game graphically (given the time/system) as well as being a brilliant platformer. Obviously not on the GB, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Unfortunately it's also insane expensive.

Teknoman

Re: Trip world, if you're not aware of it, Gimmick is from the same devs and it's a pretty amazing game graphically (given the time/system) as well as being a brilliant platformer. Obviously not on the GB, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Unfortunately it's also insane expensive.

Gimmick i'm just gonna roll with a repro at some point.

Gimmick i'm just gonna roll with a repro at some point.

Can't say I blame you. Small print runs and very little sales for quality games is the bane of the retro collector.

**Since no one's mentioned it, RCG is restocking a number of things including micro faceplates and a handful of backlit GBAs tomorrow. Might want to watch their page if you're interested.

Gimmick cheaper to obtain on the PS1 re-release (Sunsoft Memorial Collection vol.6). Still pricey though, and the sound isn't perfect.

didn't even know this existed, tbh. Good to know.

Gimmick is cheaper to obtain on the PS1 re-release from 2002 (Sunsoft Memorial Collection vol.6). Still pricey though, and the sound isn't perfect.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So it's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to update my game collection!

Not a ton of "A-list" games, but more games that I either wanted or just saw for cheap and said "Why not?" (read: Buffy and Dragon's Lair).

Also, a while ago I had intended to do a spray chrome of my SP. Turns out, the paint I wanted to use did NOT hold up to lots of touching, so I had to scrap that idea. I think I'm still going to go ahead and replace the casing on mine at some point, but not for a while. Everything else seems to be OK. I'm thinking of buying a new battery. This one on Amazon has great reviews. Anyone have anything like it?

And finally, I just recently bought Metal Walker, a game I had wanted a while ago...After the release of Monster Strike on Android/iOS, I decided to spend $10 and grab it. Really excited for it to come in.

So it's been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to update my game collection!

Not a ton of "A-list" games, but more games that I either wanted or just saw for cheap and said "Why not?" (read: Buffy and Dragon's Lair).

Also, a while ago I had intended to do a spray chrome of my SP. Turns out, the paint I wanted to use did NOT hold up to lots of touching, so I had to scrap that idea. I think I'm still going to go ahead and replace the casing on mine at some point, but not for a while. Everything else seems to be OK. I'm thinking of buying a new battery. This one on Amazon has great reviews. Anyone have anything like it?

And finally, I just recently bought Metal Walker, a game I had wanted a while ago...After the release of Monster Strike on Android/iOS, I decided to spend $10 and grab it. Really excited for it to come in.
That battery looks too cheap to be any good. I believe you can still buy them from NoA online, for $15.

EDIT: Yep, click here: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat10120

I was skeptical too, but I bought one a while back and it still delivers a pretty respectable battery life (4-5 hours w/ my AGS101 at second-level brightness). No problems at all.
By second level of brightness, do you mean te higher brightness? I don't play on that level on my 101, but I know with then original SP battery on the standard brightness level I get about 10-12 hours.

putermcgee

Good god, Akihabara is so overpriced. Out in the burbs, I was finding cheap games, like Rhythm Tengoku for $15. But when I went to Akiba yesterday, copies were over $30. Even a standard issue GBA was like $30-40.

Top Bottom