• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Salazar

Have we been able to melt things in games yet ? Not trigger a melting animation, I mean - is the physics there or on its way ?

I'm rather fond of the other elements of destructibility, but melting stuff would be over the top.

FiRez

are the pics with the sand worms realtime?

if so, ....AWESOME!

btw the dizzy design is funny :D but he seems so out of place

and PLEASE keep the same VA for the spanish version. GoW was the best spanish dub in a videogame so far

Hammer24

Banned
Shogmaster said:
If I didn't know any better, I'd say altogetherandrews got another account for himself. :lol

That was my first thought too.
Anyways, from what we have seen, the new lighting engine looks like a huke step up from the original GOW. But that doesn´t automatically make the first engine bad. And there is no need to drag other games in here.

The_Dude

It's apparently going to be the most expensive game ever released -

GearsPrice.jpg

Snowden

Banned
The_Dude said:
It's apparently going to be the most expensive game ever released -

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/Fear_Itself187/GearsPrice.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol

[quote=Aladuf23]It...would be...worth it! :D[/quote]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/2d9bk08.gif

I just played 3 rounds of Annex in Gears on Raven Down and I'm reminded of what I want most for Gears 2. A way to play with friends in Ranked games. Even if it's just Ranked Clan Matches, I don't care how they do it, but in my opinion it's a must for Gears 2. People find a way to do it regardless, because the fact is, games are more fun when played with friends. Make it happen Epic!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Came across the first three direct feed pics of Gears of War 2 - two artworks and Dizzy's model!

Artwork looks sweet as always - still love my LE Gears guidebook with the hardcover artbook - and as we see, it looks like we'll be popping heads off the Locust Horde in the snow!

2vxixc9.jpg

rup8jd.jpg

96z2nb.jpg

Dizzy is a part of the Standed, or he's the leader, I can't remember, have to read the mag again, but he looks like he was either an ex-Gear, or found some armor and niced it up to fit in more... heh

Nice design and detail on him as well...

EDIT; The first pic looks to be realtime actually...

Fuck. Even though I'm a subscriber to GI, I can't get access to the GameInformer.com Unlimited Access content.

I enter my subscriber # and zip code and it takes to a registration page. When I complete the form, it immediately asks for my username and password, but I always get denied. I tried it with both FF and IE.

Let's hope the video shows up elsewhere soon enough.

Skilotonn said:
Dizzy is a part of the Standed, or he's the leader, I can't remember, have to read the mag again, but he looks like he was either an ex-Gear, or found some armor and niced it up to fit in more... heh

Nice design and detail on him as well...
I think the GI story explains that the COG was running low on men, so they started saving stranded communities with the expectation that the rescued men would become Gears. Dizzy is one of those new recruits.

witness

Skilotonn said:
Artwork looks sweet as always - still love my LE Gears guidebook with the hardcover artbook - and as we see, it looks like we'll be popping heads off the Locust Horde in the snow!

2vxixc9.jpg

rup8jd.jpg

Snow level check, still needs;

Fire Level
Water Level
Forest Level

WrikaWrek

Banned
The new characters do look pretty awesome. I don't know how i feel about Cole Train leaving, but i gotta say these two look more interesting than dom and baird(blonde guy, whatever was his name).

OMG...Just saw the pics....Mind = blown

i was so not expecting it to look THAT good.

After all the resistance 2 stuff, I was thinking...man, I don't know if Epic can top these guys...but holy shit, they might be able to

WrikaWrek said:
The new characters do look pretty awesome. I don't know how i feel about Cole Train leaving, but i gotta say these two look more interesting than dom and baird(blonde guy, whatever was his name).

yes, i hated that guy (baird)

My issue still hadn't come last time I was home, but I want it really soon. I still haven't read any summary's online yet. I've been busy the last two nights playing Gears of War on Live to get my skills warmed back up for Gears 2. A little ahead of time, but oh well. I still need Seriously, but I've got all the other achievements.

Like I said a few posts up my biggest wish for Gears 2's multiplayer is better function overall. Not the gameplay, just stuff like the searching for games, host advantage, and for God's sakes let me play with my friends in ranked games SOMEHOW. Even if it's clan matches. Just let me play with my friends somehow. People do it now by sneaking into games and stacking the teams which is even worse. Let us all play with friends and level the playing field.

Anyway, looking forward to reading my Gears 2 GI! If anyone knows of a good summary of the article online, please point me in the right direction.

And hey don't be hating on my boy Baird! He WILL be back!

raYne

Great find Skilotonn. :D

The Nature Roy said:
I think the GI story explains that the COG was running low on men, so they started saving stranded communities with the expectation that the rescued men would become Gears. Dizzy is one of those new recruits.
This is correct.

WrikaWrek said:
He isn't "gone". Neither is Baird.. You just don't have them at the start of the game and will meet up with them later. Who knows if they stay with you from any real amount of time though.

pswii60

witness said:
Snow level check, still needs;

Fire Level
Water Level
Forest Level
What I really liked about the first Gears was the eventual surprising environmental variety. Unlike many Gears haters who never got past the second chapter, as soon as you hit the nighttime rain, the mines etc, Gears simply became jaw dropping stuff.

I hope they not just match that, but exceed it this time with even more diverse environments.

just tray

Banned
rakka said:
on the system.

but yeah, it looks amazing :D

No I mean best looking on any console. Gears 2 will set the bar for graphics just like the first Gears did. Keep in mind that we still don't know alot about Gears 2 but from what I see, nothing compares.

FrankT

Pix look sexah time. Still haven't got my copy, I renewed with GS probably over a month or so ago so it best be coming.

nib95

Banned
The scans and art/screens above all look fantastic. But the only thing I'm disappointed in is that I've yet to see anything that boasts the improved sense of massive scale that EPIC has discussed. Especially after witnessing the sheer size of the levels in UT3, and the amount going on screen. I realise it's still early days, but usually concept art is quite telling.

FrankT

nib95 said:
The scans and art/screens above all look fantastic. But the only thing I'm disappointed in is that I've yet to see anything that boasts the improved sense of massive scale that EPIC has discussed. Especially after witnessing the sheer size of the levels in UT3, and the amount going on screen. I realise it's still early days, but usually concept art is quite telling.

I definitely didn't get that vibe from the high rez scans I saw, quite the opposite really.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I went to bed right after I posted the pics because I had a monster headache, and I still kinda do... jeez :(

The Nature Roy said:

Ah, cool, thanks - just like the armor suggests - Epic nailed the look perfectly then...

I purposely didn't read the scans because I want to read the story when I buy the mag...

raYne said:
Great find Skilotonn. :D

Thanks!

raYne said:
He isn't "gone". Neither is Baird.. You just don't have them at the start of the game and will meet up with them later. Who knows if they stay with you from any real amount of time though.

Yup - you don't start with them in your squad, but we're supposed to reunite with them pretty some afterwards according to the article...

And how can anyone NOT love Baird - they all got great character oozing out of them, and Baird pulls off his "asshole" character perfectly - it's like you can tell what he'd say since you his attitude so well after time...

Sean said:
This looked like concept art to me, then after looking closer it appears to be real time. Wow.

Really love the style of this.

Exactly what happened to me as well - with the pics being so small, plus the headache I had yesterday, they looked almost the same, till I made a double-take right after I made the post and said, "hey"...

In the first Gears they did the same thing - the artwork transfers damn near perfectly over into real-time stuff - I don't think I've ever seen a dev nail and translate their art this close aside from a handful of them out there like Bungie...

I need to see full-res pics for these ASAP to really inspect the detail that no doubt threw in...

Like some have said in here, Gears is soooo varied in terms of environments, and the sequel looks to already continue this with this snow environment...

nib95 said:

You need to read that magazine then, because one of the huge pics there has a battle with Marcus and a few Locusts across the street and in the upstairs buildings in the same snow village environment - with a massive Derrick (the new giganitc transport looming over them with even more COG soldiers on it shooting down at the Locusts below...

That, and the description of the Derrick ride to get there - that sounded and looked pretty damn massive to me...

cluto

Deepblue said:
Did you not see the scan of this area? Looks A-MAZE-ING.
I think he might not be impressed because screens from any game look better at a lower resolution, and the fact that that giant fucking GAMEINFORMERATTENTIONWHORE watermark is giant and blockin' my views. Despite that, I've seen the scans and the game definitely impresses visually. What the fuck is wrong with you, Ether Snake?

Aladuf

Banned
Skilotonn said:
And how can anyone NOT love Baird - they all got great character oozing out of them, and Baird pulls off his "asshole" character perfectly - it's like you can tell what he'd say since you his attitude so well after time...

THANK YOU! Baird doesn't get nearly enough love around here. Baird is easily my favorite character.

DC R1D3R

Banned
just tray said:
No I mean best looking on any console. Gears 2 will set the bar for graphics just like the first Gears did. Keep in mind that we still don't know alot about Gears 2 but from what I see, nothing compares.

You are correct.

Proelite

I don't find the environments in the above two pics impressive even if they're real time. I've seen some more amazing stuff from Lost Odyssey to be honest.

fanboi

Banned
Damn...
The first game are the ones that made me come in to consoles again...

Then I bought a PS3, but damn what I want this game :|

Top Bottom