• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Truant

Rei_Toei said:
I think a flamethrower could be awesome if you have limited access to it. Say an implementation in the vein of the mounted machine guns in Gears of War. Its usually pretty fun when a game throws some big badass weaponry at you (such as rocket launchers to shoot down helicopters for example) for limited use at a time and place.

It would have to be portable. Perhaps only available in underground missions?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Say you have to cross some dark alley at night and there's no lights but a flamethrower is conveniently available. You take it but it makes you slower/less mobile (like the car doors/shields in Army of Two or the way you use cars as cover sometimes in Gears) so when you're finished (back in lighter areas) you toss the flamethrower. The same way you could give a character a different additional weapon but because it's soo heavy and goes empty really fast you're forced to toss it after it's use. Or something like it. I hope Cliffy is still reading every post :).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bout to listen to the Gears2 Section of this podcast.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy fuck. This podcast is killing me with this shit.

Stunning stuff.

ETA: SNOW!! SNOW!! SNOW!!

SNOW!!

Snow? FUCKING SNOW?

Fuck GOTY, Gears 2 > Anything coming out for the next 3 years.

Truant said:
It would have to be portable. Perhaps only available in underground missions?

Around all dat juice? Risky.

The only person capable of wielding a flamethrower would be Carmine II, who would then meet an unfortunate end when a Theron Guard hits the tank with a torque bow round. *THUNK* WHOOOOMPH.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SPEA said:
You wanna get even more hyped for Gears 2? Listen to this:
MP3: http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KFAN-AM/videogamesweekly_040908.mp3
Webpage: http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=Video_Games_Weekly.xml

It's podcast with the guys from Game Informer. The show is "Video Games Weekly" on KFAN radio. They talk a little bit about Gears 2. Good stuff starts at 19:30. Enjoy

Skipped to the Gears 2 bit, and I'm listening now - I agree with the radio voice comments - makes the podcast so good to listen to...

nib95

Banned
beerbelly said:
So it's real-time, CONFIRMED :D

No EPIC released screens are ever real time. Lol. That said, it probably looks so close to the dev released stuff that it's easily forgiven. I know with GoW and UT3, real time visuals were quite different from in-game, but I think EPIC will have learned from it.

My guess is the main things that will be touched up in the shots is AA and focusing (blur etc). As is with the case with 90% of dev released screens these days.

Tieno

They sounded very excited on that podcast.

This is probably going to be the game where I devour any ounce of info on, just like last time and with Halo 3. I don't like doing that, cause I like going in hardly knowing anything (like with GTA4 or MGS4), but I can't help myself. We're probably going to have to wait till E3 to see some footage.

At first I wasn't sure about Gears taking place underground, but in a way they have more freedom with that to do weird stuff cause above ground is human civilazation. Now with their improved tech, they can do the whole thing of bringing it to the Locust more believable cause it's weird only seeing a couple of locusts at a time when you're advancing onwards to their bases.

Edit: I hadn't realised, but on the second to last scan you can see the Derrick in action, I think. Even bigger than I thought. The scene they described sounded very cool. The concept of fighting this underground enemy gives them some creative freedom to do some stuff with a twist and differently from other games. Like launching an assault into the ground.

pr0cs

The podcast is pretty good, worth listening to.
I'm glad that Epic is working on the story, I thought there was enough in the first game to make a compelling story (if you are okay with action movie type storylines) but there were so many holes that often you were left scratching your head.
Things I'd like to see in a flashback/cutscene or better yet elaborated upon via gameplay:
1) Who are the stranded really, why are they stranded, why do they have such distain for the gears, the one stranded in the first calls Fenix a "Facist pig", why? Seems to me like the Gears are the last hope for these people yet they're hated.
2) Why was Fenix put in prison, what is the back story on that "This place was a place of great beauty... and of great lies". I really want a cutscene on that.
3) How does Fenix's father work into the equation?
4) backstory on the other characters, pretty safe to say via the GI preview that Dom's backstory will be elaborated upon but what about Baird, Cole, etc.
5) emergence day, how did this all come about

I guess I like things laid out for me a little more cut and dried (probably why I despise games like Metal Gear because the story is so convoluted and screwy that it is impossible to follow). I think they have a great storyline going they just need to fill the holes so what they have is more cohesive.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
For people that don't want to listen, here it is transcribed

Well, This time around, first of all, they've got umm, the graphics have gone to nutso level. I mean seriously like, we spent like all day waiting to see the game. Like they showed us screenshots, but you see the screens you're like "wow those are really nice. I dunno if those screenshots are real" You know what I mean like "I dunno if those are real screenshots or not but man those things look amazing". And then finally we got to go-called into this back little room they call it the "sniper room", actually because it overlooks the parking lot. But went up there and got a chance to watch them play uh the first level of the game, which has you on these big Derricks, going across this giant valley, and into it, and things kinda break lose and go to hell as you're going down, and you start fighting with all the locust horde and things like that, and there's guys flying in, and the thing is is that, it looks like, I mean I said this a couple times with all the levels we saw, it looks like a matte painting from a movie. Like you look out and you go like, that's not real, that's like, just like a bubble they've put over the top to show you and think like "this is what the game looks like"-but it's not. (other guy) "next thing you know you're interacting with it". -yeah you're in there and they've got ships moving around in there I mean it's all 3D it's all rendered it's very very very impressive. And the thing about it too is when you talk about the grays of the original game-this game pops, it's got a color pallete everywhere not only in this outdoor level but when we saw an underground level as well. Basically they have like, kind of like the phosphorescent light like you'd see like you know, two thousand leagues beneath the sea. You know what I mean there's all that light, that's that same kind of light that is found underground in this game, and it's all animated and glows and, very very cool.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Well, This time around, first of all, they've got umm, the graphics have gone to nutso level. I mean seriously like, we spent like all day waiting to see the game. Like they showed us screenshots, but you see the screens you're like "wow those are really nice. I dunno if those screenshots are real" You know what I mean like "I dunno if those are real screenshots or not but man those things look amazing". And then finally we got to go-called into this back little room they call it the "sniper room", actually because it overlooks the parking lot. But went up there and got a chance to watch them play uh the first level of the game, which has you on these big Derricks, going across this giant valley, and into it, and things kinda break lose and go to hell as you're going down, and you start fighting with all the locust horde and things like that, and there's guys flying in, and the thing is is that, it looks like, I mean I said this a couple times with all the levels we saw, it looks like a matte painting from a movie. Like you look out and you go like, that's not real, that's like, just like a bubble they've put over the top to show you and think like "this is what the game looks like"-but it's not. (other guy) "next thing you know you're interacting with it". -yeah you're in there and they've got ships moving around in there I mean it's all 3D it's all rendered it's very very very impressive. And the thing about it too is when you talk about the grays of the original game-this game pops, it's got a color pallete everywhere not only in this outdoor level but when we saw an underground level as well. Basically they have like, kind of like the phosphorescent light like you'd see like you know, two thousand leagues beneath the sea. You know what I mean there's all that light, that's that same kind of light that is found underground in this game, and it's all animated and glows and, very very cool.

Thanks. I was about to start listening. You saved my time.

:eek: I WANT TO BELIEVE. But, to be safe, I'll wait until I see final gameplay.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Please be true :D

When do we find out the real dirt?

* 4 player co-op? (not required but would be the shit)
* More enemies on screen at once?
* More Replayability/Less Linearity?
* Better grenade throwing mechanics?
* Close range/melee fixes?
* Is everything still mapped to the (A) button?
* Minimized Host Advantage?
* Party System? (Copy COD4 please)?
* Can I pimp out my weapons with gold and diamonds? Ao2 spoiled me.

SPEA

NullPointer said:

* More enemies on screen at once?
E3 would be my guess. They'll probably have mulitplayer on the floor for people to play. Just like at E3 '06.

Aladuf

Banned
Fuck Yeah! I just got my Game Informer in the mail today so even though I know like, all of the news I'm gonna finally read the article for the first time! :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
abacab driver said:
The game is going to be incredible..:D

Why?

Because i don't like underground environments?! The underground part in GOW1 was the least fun part of the whole game. Even visually, i hate being underground.

I want to feel like i'm fighting on Earth, that this really is "Humanity's last stand", i don't wanna feel like i'm the one invading. It's not their last stand, it's ours. So why would the game take place underground?

Here i was all excited that we were going to see some awesome environmental destruction like in the tech demo through the game in the destroyed beauty scenery but instead i get to go underground.

Ugh, i just can't understand such a decision, even from a story standpoint.

NullPointer said:

* More enemies on screen at once? We already know this, there's a lot of stuff happening actually, check the podcast

WrikaWrek said:
I want to feel like i'm fighting on Earth

You want them to switch planets entirely????

Seriously though, the whole point is that humanity is going to have to take the fight to the Locust and to do that means destroying their infrastructure. By rights we should plenty of actual Locust architecture.

WrikaWrek said:
More enemies on screen at once? We already know this, there's a lot of stuff happening actually, check the podcast.

yeah - I listened, maybe not closely enough - but "lots of stuff happening" can be taken a lot of ways. I wonder whether they are just upping the size of the locust you fight (more mini-boss type of things, worm creatures, etc.) or whether they are increasing scale by actually upping the enemy count.

But really - this is all nitpicking. I loved the first game and would be just fine shelling out for more of the same - as long as the multiplayer gets a nice upgrade. Host advantage and antiquated lobby systems have to go.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
You want them to switch planets entirely????

Seriously though, the whole point is that humanity is going to have to take the fight to the Locust and to do that means destroying their infrastructure. By rights we should plenty of actual Locust architecture.

What are you talking about?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
WrikaWrek said:
Most of it takes place underground hun?

Yuck.

Hype down by .5%.

i agree. underground/indoor levels just arent as appealing to me. this news is a bit disheartening, but it wont really effect my enjoyment all that much

FAN00025UFO-I-Want-to-Believe-Poste.jpg

op_ivy said:
i agree. underground/indoor levels just arent as appealing to me. this news is a bit disheartening, but it wont really effect my enjoyment all that much

Ever thought that we don't quite know what *is* underground? Somehow, I doubt that the Locust just live in tunnel after tunnel. What if, underground, they have legitimate cities, and things of that nature? Would be interesting then, eh?

beerbelly

Banned
There's an entire city underground (Gears of War 1 - when you enter Marcus' father's secret room you get to see a prototype design of a hive-like structure)...I can't wait to play an inevitable blackout sequence where you're stranded alone deep in the caves with only a torch while in the distance you hear a locust priest summoning the giant zergs. If you want outdoor levels, you can already seem some of them in Game Informer (mountainous area and what seems to be a warehouse area).

This game is going to be so incredible.
I just got the game informer and you know the shot of Dom and Marcus shooting at the worm creatures and are getting assaulted by a fricken Locust Shaman or something. I thought ahhh bullshit this is just going to be like with the bullshots they released of the first gears game. But my god if that is actually what it looks like it will just be unreal. I cannot wait for this game.

TheOddOne

Listening to the podcast.

- Graphics have gone to nutso level :)lol)
- Battles look like paintings
- Derrecks (is that spelled correct?)
- BENDER IS BACK
- The screenshots are real stuff.
- Next week maby more info?

Proelite

A flamethrower might not work, but a flare gun that shoots a flaming grenade in an almost parabolical path would work great. The grenade burns on the ground for around 5-10 secounds. It would work great for Kryll levels, as instead of shooting propane gas cans, you make your own path.

The addition of a light loving Kryll alternate would be great to gameplay. Just shoot a flame grenade into a bunch of Locusts and watch them get teared apart. However, stay out of the light!

bumpkin

duk said:
frying the krill with flame thrower would be SICKKKK
You kidding? Being able to kill them at all would be sweet justice. Drove me nuts that you couldn't blow away -- not just disperse -- the Kryll protecting RAAM.

duk

Banned
bumpkin said:
You kidding? Being able to kill them at all would be sweet justice. Drove me nuts that you couldn't blow away -- not just disperse -- the Kryll protecting RAAM.

well only with the UV gatling gun... mmm UV mini gun would be nice

I agree, a flamethrower would be nice. A REAL flamethrower, not a cheap "made for TV and Video Games" flamethrower. How about a nice US-Issued Vietnam Era Patrol Boat Flamethrower, on one of those nice Centurion tanks? Talk about "Reach out any touch somebody" from Wikipedia:

US_riverboat_using_napalm_in_Vietnam.jpg

Proelite

Mr Killemgood said:
I agree, a flamethrower would be nice. A REAL flamethrower, not a cheap "made for TV and Video Games" flamethrower. How about a nice US-Issued Vietnam Era Patrol Boat Flamethrower, on one of those nice Centurion tanks? Talk about "Reach out any touch somebody" from Wikipedia:

US_riverboat_using_napalm_in_Vietnam.jpg

I love the smell of nalpalm in the morning. Smells like victory.

Atomspike

Any word on dynamic lighting and shadowing ? Gears 1 was a let down in those areas.
or they will stay in shitso level in Gears 2 ?!

Top Bottom