• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Hammer24

Banned
Tieno said:
Those scans look plausible (jesus, they look good), the UE3 tech demo they gave at GDC was similarly sharp and clean.

If they want to keep selling their engine until 2012, like they stated in this article, they HAVE to raise the bar to unprecedented levels. Visually, technically, and gameplay wise.
I do not doubt they´ll achieve it.

Proelite

Oh man, I am so disappointed that they didn't change the designs for the armor and guns for the sequel like Bungie did for Halo 2. I absolutely hated how the cog crest plate looks. I always called it the boombox armor due to the 2 giant black circles on each side. The lancer could also have used some touch up to add more "sleek".

I remember I drew a kick-ass revision of the COG armor and the lancer about half a year ago. I need to dig it up sometimes. It is comparable to the improvements made by Bungie to the Mjolnir Mark VI over the Mark V.

As for people who thinks the armor looks fine, you guys obviously don't have the mind of a concept artist. NOTHING is good enough.

EDIT: Damn, I don't think I brought that piece to campus. I'll try to redraw it this week if I find spare time.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
MercuryLS said:
Yeah, I'm playing Gears online right now as I type this. It's so fucking broken with the bullet lag and host advantage, but I still play it cause it just feels awesome. Please Cliffy fix the next stuff for Gears 2 :(

Hopped on last night for three 5-round games, one was a US host, and the last two were on a UK host on Rooftops, with dudes from the US in there as well - absolutely no lag, as I was giving headshots several rounds in a row with the Longshot with no problem at all...

Gears online really just seem to have bad problems if the host's connection sucks - lenty of times when I have lag, some guys are cool enough to admit that their connection isn't that good and apologize for it...

So yes Cliffy, work on that connection/party for us!

And DAMN@the high-res scans - simply gorgeous...

I really hope Gears keeps piling on the enemy variety. That was the problem with the original gears. Now you see these bulbous muscled beasts and these priest like enemies and its just great. Hopefully we see more.

Proelite said:
As for people who thinks the armor looks fine, you guys obviously don't have the mind of a concept artist. NOTHING is good enough.
So you have to be an artist to say you like/dislike the cog armour? :lol

The one thing I hope they do not do is redesign everything, halo 2 was a great game but apart from some gunplay and the a few other things so much was changed, rock music was overused etc. From what google search has shown so far the new characters might have a little too much unique action going on compared to baird and cole.

FrankT

Just saw the Hi Res scans;

2gubmte.jpg

Tieno

I want to go Brumak hunting with the Derrick.

Epic really masters that bulky gritty artstyle in Gears, all looking really good. Love the comparisson between the cave and the artwork, looks fuller and a bigger range of palette.

Tieno

ReinHype
Epic boss Mark Rein has told videogaming247 that the Game Informer Gears of War 2 article that hit the web yesterday is just a “tidbit”, and that the best is very much to come.
“Awesome,” said Rein when asked how excited he was about the title. “I’ve had a chance to read the Game Informer story now and I think when people get a chance to read it they’ll see that [Gears 2 is] really good. And we told the Game Informer guys just a tidbit about the game. We showed them some stuff, obviously, but we’re keeping a lot of information back that will make people go, ‘It’s even better than this.’ As good as they say it is, and they really, really like it, there’s still a lot of story to open up between now and when the game ships in November… I think people will really enjoy this game.”
Rein didn’t say when we were going to see more, however, and expanded on the fact that Gears 2 will definitely not be seen at Comic Con in New York later this month, putting the fact the event issued a press release saying the game was going to appear at the show down to crossed wired.
“I’d say [Comic Con was] over zealous,” he said. “Mike Capps, who’s our president, and Joshua Ortega, who’s the writer on Gears 2, will be on a panel there together, so I’m sure they’ll be talking about things to do with the process around making Gear 2. I think that’s probably where it got confusing. We’re not demoing anything, but we’ll still have a chance to talk about the game.”
http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/04/09/rein-on-gears-2-game-informer-article-was-a-tidbit/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If we can avoid a story in which giant steroid pushing space marines slide down waterfalls while giggling, I'll be happy.

Tieno said:
I want to go Brumak hunting with the Derrick.

Epic really masters that bulky gritty artstyle in Gears, all looking really good. Love the comparisson between the cave and the artwork, looks fuller and a bigger range of palette.
Yeah, James Hawkins is no joke. One of the best concept artists in the industry.

Slavik81

Multiple save files to maintain the integrity of each playthrough without abandoning your other attempts.
I would certainly hope so. We have gigabytes of room to save in. Allowing a few save files should be so standard that it doesn't need to be said.

beerbelly

Banned
For those of you who have seen the hi-res screens, did you notice the "rocks" that Marcus + Dom were hiding behind were actually from the giant Zergs?

Tieno

Forced walking scenes that masked loading time have been replaced with a dynamic conversation camera system - focused facial close ups, shifting dramatic angles, but the player is still in control. There is a "SHUT UP" button that will let you have Marcus end the conversation early and get back to the action.
Cole: "Look at all.."
SHUT THE FUCK UP
Cole: :(

:D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
HOLY FUCK

has this been mentioned yet? In one of the scans you can see Marcus covering behind what seems to be a pile of rocks. Those are not rocks, but parts of the monster.

edit: damn you Beerbelly. But still, WOW

DuckRacer

Darunia said:
HOLY FUCK

has this been mentioned yet? In one of the scans you can see Marcus covering behind what seems to be a pile of rocks. Those are not rocks, but parts of the monster.

Never noticed that at first. Wow.

beerbelly

Banned
Darunia said:
HOLY FUCK

:lol

Rein indicated that they've only shown a glimpse of what's to come. I can't wait to see what the bigger surprises will be.

Dina

Darunia said:
HOLY FUCK

Yeah it's an awesome picture. I especially like the psychic locust (I read the official name but I forgot it already) in the thick of it.

Also, three new weapons confirmed?

Feindflug

Francias Castiglione said:
Good lord, they've not only upped the visuals by a significant amount but also the level size, enemy count and environmental interaction. Ridiculous.

Yep! Gridlock 2 looks so much better, the original looks plain and dull when compared to the redesign - improved textures, much much better lighting and more polys, I definitely wasn't expecting such an improvement...just wow!

All we need is Halo 3-like party system and better netcode and Gears 2 will be the GOTG. :D

Zezboob

OverHeat said:
Cool, Great network code and party system then ;)
Don't be so sure.

I remember when people complained about the netcode on Epic forum and the only answers they got was something like "there is nothing to fix, it works perfectly for the Unreal series and we don't intend to change our way of doing things". glups

At least I hope this time that the host doesn't need to recreate a new lobby only in order to change the options... the multiplayer seemed to be rushed in so much ways....

FrankT

RumFore said:
How many years as Spider Man 3 been out and people are still useing gifs from obviously bootleg version of the movie?

Oh, I don't know considering it's been out less than a year, heh.

ZeroTolerance

Hammer24 said:
OK, come on, lets ruin another workday - WHERE ARE THIS HIGH-RES SCANS?!?

Edit: Nevermind, found the scans - on PS3Forums of all places... :lol

I found that weird too. Of all the places on the net, they had the first shitty scans.

JB1981

Going to be the best looking console game evar. I hope the framerate is a little smoother than the original, though. Sounds like they are pushing the 360 even harder this time.

Please do the fans right with multi, Cliffy. At least give us a Halo-like experience in terms of netcode reliability.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Just wanted to put the word out there, they really should bet on the score.

I don't even remember GOW1 score, i remember thinking it wasn't bad though. But i think it would be cool if they got someone high profile to really push it, GOW 2 looks more badass and bigger than 1st, it would be nice if the composer scored something that reflected it, a good score used in the appropriate times can rise your excitement level by a third.

Top Bottom