• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Gears 1 had its problems but it's still a stellar game, and I look foward to gears 2 as much as ever. My only gripe is I hope they do something about how unreal engine games give host advantage online.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yoboman said:
Knowing Gears of War's story, you'll probably see Maria for about 20 seconds and just as you think the story is about to go somewhere, they'll randomly jump on another train heading to a gigantic chasm with a lightmass bomb aboard for no apparent reason

This is probably wrong (my thinking, not you), but IDGAF. That would make the shit better...keep the action rolling.

Let's get 4 player co op and some new weapons as fucked up and deadly as the shotgun goin on here!

5v5 wouldn't be that bad. 6v6 (lol lag) would be better.

Without sounding repetitive: GAME OF THE FUCKIN YEAR RIGHT HERE.

Btw, good thread OP.

JimiNutz

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
It's even better when they shoot you with the shotgun, FROM TEN MILES AWAY, and your head is "sniped off." I still don't have a reasonable explanation for that one (because, well, there isn't one).

The game really got unbearable as they began to "beef up" the Lancer. Well, that's good IN THEORY. The problem: The only person it helped was the host. My improved lancer could fire all day long! None of the bullets ever bothered to register! Host shoots you with Lancer? You're down in less than a second! Awesome! And the Pistol was always extremely abusable in this manner. The shotgun gets most of the hate, deservedly, but the whole thing was borked. And well, the shotgun was completely random, even when the host wasn't involved - I mean, fix that shit.

I'm not going to defend the crappy net code but the reason that your head explodes from a shotgun shell is because you're already almost dead (your red circle will be almost full-which is why he's able to kill you from so far away) and the guy shooting at you has aimed the shotgun at your head instead of your torso or legs-if you get hit in the torso you'll explode into many pieces, if you get hit in the legs you legs will simply get blown off leaving your lifeless head and torso behind, and if shoots at your head itll blow off in the same way that a sniper shot will. The game does have shitty net code though.

Dizzan said:
Whatever was first. Who cares. It's not a competition.

Just saying, every shooter lately with any sci-fi element seems to think it's fun shooting a big thing 20 times more than shooting 20 small things once.
Big enemies, or bosses rather, has been around since forever. Quake, Serious Sam, Half-Life and whatnot. Pretty much every big FPS that isn't realistic has had at least one huge boss.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Thank god it isn't going to be another pretty coridor(ie street to street) shooter, I want large open environments.

Enojado

Great info, but the inclusion of Maria has me wondering if we can sort of predict part of GOW2's plot . . .

option 1: Maria is captured at some point and part of the focus of the game revolves around her rescue. Dom is already looking for her so it seems her capture by the locust is inevitable. My guess is this happens toward the end of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to use her as a bargaining chip of some sort. Maria in exchange for . . . not sure what right now.

option 2: The plot reveals how the locust have plans of transforming humans into locust. Since we conveniently have Maria lost in civilization she would be captured for the purpose of transformation, and Dom would be in a race against time to find her before it's too late.

option 3: Near the end of the game Dom is reunited with Maria. Tear of joy and blue balls aside, the locust continue to dominate and things look grim. Maria is tragically killed but just before she dies she is able to share some critical info with Dom that will prove pivotal in the locust's defeat in GOW3.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Option 4: Maria is actually the head of the Stranded secret resistance fighters but she lost a leg but replaced it with a Lancer and you can do crazy awesome stunts with it. Oh wait, already done.

Enojado

Rei_Toei said:
Option 4: Maria is actually the head of the Stranded secret resistance fighters but she lost a leg but replaced it with a Lancer and you can do crazy awesome stunts with it. Oh wait, already done.

:lol Would be pretty cool, though.

Tieno

Enojado said:
Great info, but the inclusion of Maria has me wondering if we can sort of predict part of GOW2's plot . . .

option 1: Maria is captured at some point and part of the focus of the game revolves around her rescue. Dom is already looking for her so it seems her capture by the locust is inevitable. My guess is this happens toward the end of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to use her as a bargaining chip of some sort. Maria in exchange for . . . not sure what right now.

option 2: The plot reveals how the locust have plans of transforming humans into locust. Since we conveniently have Maria lost in civilization she would be captured for the purpose of transformation, and Dom would be in a race against time to find her before it's too late.

option 3: Near the end of the game Dom is reunited with Maria. Tear of joy and blue balls aside, the locust continue to dominate and things look grim. Maria is tragically killed but just before she dies she is able to share some critical info with Dom that will prove pivotal in the locust's defeat in GOW3.
Marcus breaks his chainsaw trying to use it on everything he sees, only Maia has the power to attach a new chainsaw. Through a lot of locust killing, Maia fixes the chainsaw, the end. Also the end is very epic and awesome!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Exciting stuff, but...no Baird and Cole? ;_; I hope they show up sooner rather than later during the game. Baird and Marcus are just so funny together.

Also I hope Maria is playable. :)

I have to start playing Gears again to get my skills in shape for Gears 2. Going home today, hoping the Gears 2 GI is there for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
nelsonroyale said:
KZ2 will be coming out around that time as well...Im guessing the hype for that one could be huge

I don't think I would want to be KZ2, it has a lot to try to live up to and prove.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I want to play Gears 2, Resistance 2, AND Killzone 2. What a HOT gaming season we are all in for this fall! Can't wait!

Only one features Lorelai Gilmore, so I know the one I'm most excited for. I just hope Epic is up to the task of the snappy, arch dialogue.

"Hey, Marcus, thanks for saving me but, wow, jeez, have you seen all this juice?"
"Yeah."
"I mean wow, this is like Ray Stanz in the Sedgewick Hotel! There's juice EVERYWHERE!"
"I know. I see it."
"My goodness this sure is a lot of juice."
"Hnnn."
"Love ya, hun."

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Only one features Lorelai Gilmore, so I know the one I'm most excited for. I just hope Epic is up to the task of the snappy, arch dialogue.

"Hey, Marcus, thanks for saving me but, wow, jeez, have you seen all this juice?"
"Yeah."
"I mean wow, this is like Ray Stanz in the Sedgewick Hotel! There's juice EVERYWHERE!"
"I know. I see it."
"My goodness this sure is a lot of juice."
"Hnnn."
"Love ya, hun."

:lol , mmmmmm Lorelai....mmmm Lorelai and Rory!

Wizman23

Banned
I will still be shocked if this releases this year. Epic is a very small company and they have been busy with Unreal since the release of the first GOW. I hope I am wrong because I am craving me some GOW 2 action!

I just hope it's a full online game this time around.

Fix the horrendous netcode, implement full in-game and online stat tracking and either up the number of players to 5-7 a team or create some fun gametypes. Gears1 was barebones in multiplayer so I'm hoping for something that will be worth the money this time around.

Dyno

When the first Gears came out it was damn impressive. It looked amazing, had the squad skirmishes nailed down, and overall had a polish that I would love to see more games had.

Gameplay and tech-wise the first game has been eclipsed however and if this second game only made minor improvements then it would be underwhelming today.

So it's really nice to see that Epic is expanding their game in many directions with huge leaps in technology.

Looks like Gears 2 will impress us just the same all over again. Can't wait!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
RumFore said:
How is that possible?

It happens all the time. Once certain members of the project have completed there part of the game, they can be allocated to the next project.

Dabanton

RumFore said:
How is that possible?

Very funny Mark Rein interview with EuroGamer at GDC2008

Eurogamer: Indulge me, because the last few times I've seen you I have asked if you're doing Gears of War 2 and you've had to say that you can't say anything. So, Mark, are you doing Gears of War 2?

Mark Rein: Yes, we're doing Gears of War 2! Did you ever doubt that? It's been in development since before Gears of War 1 shipped.

Eurogamer: So are you making Gears of War 3 as well?

Mark Rein: No. I mean...you never know. No! No. No.

Eurogamer: It's okay, I won't tell the Internet.

Mark Rein:
It's a good thing I didn't have that beer.

Rest of the interview here. http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93420

sajj316

I am very excited about this game and I know its going to look amazing. Are the imagines in Game Informer target renders or real-time shots on the 360? I wasn't sure if that question was asked or answered on this thread.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I have very high expectations for this game. This was my favorite game of 2006. The current "scans" (photos with flash), are horrible but look somewhat cool.

Can't wait till I get my copy of the magazine.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
FightyF said:
Totally agree, but note the differences. Lack of FSAA in the released version, and the lighting model was simpler. It looks like the new lighting model is a lot like the one shown in that screen. As far as FSAA is concerned, I'm not expecting it in GoW2.

I'm not going to talk anymore about it after this post, but like I said, aside from the res and AA from it being a downsized press shot, the geometry, models, etc. are exactly the same...

I don't even get any aliasing in Gears on my CRT in 1080p so it's all good for me pretty much as well too...

CliffyB said:

Told you guys... he sees every Gears-related thread posted on here...

Good stuff Cliff!

Since news broke so much earlier than anyone including myself expected, I wonder if we might actually get the first video footage aside from the teaser before E3... I'm not holding out for that, but it would be a more-than-welcome surprise!

elguerosinfe said:
I'm kind of disappointed that Gears 2 isn't going to be a prequel to the original. In G1 there were so many little hints to events that had happened in the past [Marcus' disgrace and trial, his connection to Anya, etc]. Hopefully they'll at least tie up all the lose ends...

This will be Gears of War 3. Then the xbox 720 will be announced and people will wait for the 4th game to validate that console. Oh and by then Marcus will have gray hair and an eye patch. :D

Kibbles said:
Hidden deep within the pixels of that smiley is the entire Gears 2 plot. Thanks for the spoilz. Who let the rabbit loose? :p

Wow. A bed and breakfast? In Connecticut? Cole runs a diner in town? Wait, LANE GETS MARRIED?!? That's not Rock and Roll at all!!

Top Bottom