• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Aladuf

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Since news broke so much earlier than anyone including myself expected, I wonder if we might actually get the first video footage aside from the teaser before E3... I'm not holding out for that, but it would be a more-than-welcome surprise!

I would say that I doubt it but I also doubted that we would see anything like what we got here this early. So who knows? I know I want to see a trailer!

Monocle

Sounds really good, and I love those GI covers. Thanks for the post, SHOTEH.

Drop in and drop out co-op.

I'm all about the co-op, so this has me especially excited.

Gears 2 will have different difficulty settings for each player in co-op. One person can play on Hardcore, one on Casual, for instance. When you are together, the game will understand what that means, and when you split up, you will have individual experiences. Details on how this works exactly are under wraps.

Nice! I'm very interested to see how this is handled when players are together. Will it be as simple as one player taking more damage than another, or is more complex juju going to be happening under the hood to modify enemy behavior?

duk

Banned
Ninja99 said:
Sounds really good, and I love those GI covers. Thanks for the post, SHOTEH.
I'm all about the co-op, so this has me especially excited.

it's also in the first game as well

Ramirez

Well, I'm glad Cliffy is reading this. Seriously, you give this game a good netcode/party/ranking system and it's probably the best multiplayer experience on consoles.

Monmin

duk said:
it's also in the first game as well
Only drop-in, but not drop-out (if one player drops out the other player gets booted from the game as well). So this is a big improvement over the first game.

It would be cool if the difficulty adjusted on the fly as people drop-in and drop-out. For example, I would like the game to be more difficult when my friend is playing with me, but less difficult if he drops out early.

My guess is the difficulty level is the average difficulty of whoever is currently playing, but this is the part they aren't talking about yet.

Enojado

Nothing like celebrating the holiday season (assuming this is released around nov) with moar chainsaw action . . . :D

OverHeat

« generous god »
Ramirez said:
Well, I'm glad Cliffy is reading this. Seriously, you give this game a good netcode/party/ranking system and it's probably the best multiplayer experience on consoles.

Listen to this men Cliffy!!!!!!

Tomcat

Ramirez said:
QFT

High res scans??????
where?:D

MercuryLS

Banned
Ramirez said:

Yeah, I'm playing Gears online right now as I type this. It's so fucking broken with the bullet lag and host advantage, but I still play it cause it just feels awesome. Please Cliffy fix the next stuff for Gears 2 :(

Sean

Banned
jet1911 said:
"As the years pass, the distinction between concept art and screenshots narrows."

Hoooooooooooooly shit. :eek:

hah just looking at that now, I can not tell which is which.

harSon

Banned
Gears of War 2 taking a Matrix turn? Last stronghold of man kind? :p Concept art for the city looks great though.

puebla

Sean said:
hah just looking at that now, I can not tell which is which.
the inset is the art. anyway i just saw the scans and they look pretty good but most of them look like bullshots.

raYne

I love that the "get x number of headshots" and similar achievements can be done in SP, MP or a combination of both. It should go a long way to improving the online gameplay.

Great decision right there. :D

scoobs

Ramirez said:
Well, I'm glad Cliffy is reading this. Seriously, you give this game a good netcode/party/ranking system and it's probably the best multiplayer experience on consoles IN MY OPINION.

fixed.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
scoobs said:

Redundant. This is a forum, everything is an opinion. Gears 2 with good netcode would be good, but I prefer the SP aspect. Cliffy... show me what ya got baby

Hey Cliffy has the shadow rasterization been fixed and do the normal maps load better or do they still pop in? Minor technical gripes but wouldn't mind seeing them addressed.

What I have seen looks awesome and this game sounds monumental in scope. Oh yeah please implement a party system ok thanx , bye!!!

MercuryLS said:
Yeah, I'm playing Gears online right now as I type this. It's so fucking broken with the bullet lag and host advantage, but I still play it cause it just feels awesome. Please Cliffy fix the next stuff for Gears 2 :(

Having friends over to play this game over LAN is fucking win:D . Haven't had that much MP fun since playing the original halo over LAN.

NutJobJim said:
I'm not going to defend the crappy net code but the reason that your head explodes from a shotgun shell is because you're already almost dead (your red circle will be almost full-which is why he's able to kill you from so far away) and the guy shooting at you has aimed the shotgun at your head instead of your torso or legs-if you get hit in the torso you'll explode into many pieces, if you get hit in the legs you legs will simply get blown off leaving your lifeless head and torso behind, and if shoots at your head itll blow off in the same way that a sniper shot will. The game does have shitty net code though.

No no. This happens at full health -- all the time. Randomly.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm curious how these new characters will talk/act. I understand that they cant completely obliterate the tone of the original, but I just could never connect or identify with the main characters of the first one. It got so obnoxious so quickly that I never got that far. Maybe the newer characters who seem a bit less... mountain dew/ hadrcore... will help keep my waifish frame on the couch.

KdoubleA

I finished reading the whole thing...Now, I'm seriously hyped...Almost everything I hoped Epic would improve in the campaign, it seems they've done so. I liked the info about the Kantus and it sounds like it'll be a blast to go up against them on Insane. I'm glad they're also fleshing out the story and the Gears universe more. I really wasn't expecting much, nor little, for that matter...GI sold me...and I've boarded the hype train...Can't stop the train baby....WHOO! Bring it on, sucka! This's my kinda shit :lol

just tray

Banned
And they said that the 360 reached it's peak, that Microsoft had no hope this year, that unreal engine 3 was a joke. I think that not only will it be the second highest selling game (Gta4 being first)but it will be the most hyped game this year and the best looking game on any console for a long time to come. Hopefully it will be longer. This will bring even more developers to the unreal 3crowd. Unreal 3 gets my vote as best tech this gen. Nothing comes close and it only gets better. Imagine what games like Bioshock 2 will look.

high res looks fantastic...screens are obviously touched up, but the game will look pretty similar in motion. Way more interesting environments this time...damn

KdoubleA

just tray said:
And they said that the 360 reached it's peak, that Microsoft had no hope this year, that unreal engine 3 was a joke. I think that not only will it be the second highest selling game (Gta4 being first)but it will be the most hyped game this year and the best looking game on any console for a long time to come. Hopefully it will be longer. This will bring even more developers to the unreal 3crowd. Unreal 3 gets my vote as best tech this gen. Nothing comes close and it only gets better. Imagine what games like Bioshock 2 will look.

At first, I thought it sucked that many games started using the Unreal Engine 3, and many seemed to look similar as a result...but after playing Lost Odyssey, I was surprised how different and varied the designs were throughout the game...I'm assuming MistWalker was using an old version of UE3, now I'm beginning to see what could be possible with games that utilize the latest version of the engine. It seems more flexible than I thought!

hmm, now that I think about it, BioShock and Mass Effect make my whole post void :lol

Hammer24

Banned
OK, come on, lets ruin another workday - WHERE ARE THIS HIGH-RES SCANS?!?

Edit: Nevermind, found the scans - on PS3Forums of all places... :lol

bengraven

tl;dr

No, I kid. I'm just going to wait for the issue to arrive. I'm tired of GAF bullet points ruining the major stories in GI. Well, bullet points and huge fucking blocks of text like this OP.

Tieno

Those scans look plausible (jesus, they look good), the UE3 tech demo they gave at GDC was similarly sharp and clean.

Top Bottom