• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Tieno

I like the idea of the dog tags as I was suggesting after Gears 1 they should do more with that like give some story with it instead of just some random tag you find.

I like the model for Maria, very hot. All the art seems pretty cool.

Sounds all very very good.
Sean said:
Sounds good overall, but some things like the increased story I'm not sure of. GoW got a lot of shit for it's story but I'm not sure the Gears audience will care about Maria and reading dogtags off random dead soldiers and all that.

And needs more Cole!
"There's a certain percentage of the audience that wants to skip all that, and they just want to shoot some s---, and we're more than willing to cater to that." -Cliff Bleszinski

cant wait to see the slab of meat in action...looked brutal

damn sounds great. I'll have to wait (a long time) for the pc version though....

and romance this time hahah.

Honestly this sounds ridiculously good...biggest 360 game of the year

I'm kind of disappointed that Gears 2 isn't going to be a prequel to the original. In G1 there were so many little hints to events that had happened in the past [Marcus' disgrace and trial, his connection to Anya, etc]. Hopefully they'll at least tie up all the lose ends...

Weenerz

Banned
I loved the first Gears, and I will be getting Gears 2, but I just don't feel as excited about it this time around.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
elguerosinfe said:
I'm kind of disappointed that Gears 2 isn't going to be a prequel to the original. In G1 there were so many little hints to events that had happened in the past [Marcus' disgrace and trial, his connection to Anya, etc]. Hopefully they'll at least tie up all the lose ends...

I expect at least one flashback level. Thats what I want anyway.

AgentOtaku said:
I will admit...I'm really diggin the new character art....
Looks more stylized and colorful, which is nice

This is a point worth repeating. I managed to get a look at the scan with the concept faces and I thought I was looking pics of the wrong game. They already have way more character than the entire crew of the original. It still won't matter if they don't fix the netcode though!

AgentOtaku said:

wonder how accurate they will be able to represent the female though...in the first game, the female character (reporter?) didnt really look so good

Yoboman

AgentOtaku said:
I think it looks like they're trying too hard to make interesting looking characters

Kind of groan worthy, much like the UT3 characters

i dunno...i loved the first game but i honestly am not excited at all for the second...could be because ive exhausted all of the hype in my body for mgs4

Skilotonn said:
Epic doesn't do CG - the early shots were just that - early shots...

Marcus' face has changed a few times over time, and that's it - the models and polygons look exactly the same as the game I've been playing since November 2006...

It's all real-time.

in engine? yes. realtime? absolutely not

Ramirez

I really want them to fix the online portion, but I have my doubts as I've never even heard them admit that it had problems in the first place. :( Hell there were tons of people on this board that tried to argue that the host advantage wasn't that big of a deal...:lol

Dizzan

MINI Member
Pics look nice. and blurry. But real nice.

What's with the trend of huge enemies in shooters. First R2 now Gears 2.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Francias Castiglione said:
First R2?

What about the Scarab battles in Halo 2/3?

Whatever was first. Who cares. It's not a competition.

Just saying, every shooter lately with any sci-fi element seems to think it's fun shooting a big thing 20 times more than shooting 20 small things once.

Dizzan said:

Just saying, every shooter lately with any sci-fi element seems to think it's fun shooting a big thing 20 times more than shooting 20 small things once.

Just saying is all. The dual Scarab battle in Halo 3 was epic as hell.

Tieno

Dizzan said:

Not necessarily with scarabs, I could kill the scarabs in a few seconds by dropping myself from a Hornet or landing on top of it with a warthog and rushing its core, 2 or 3 shotgun blasts and it was dead. Amazingly satisfying and cool.
Or you could take the long way and try to make it lower its body by targetting its legs. Or blast off its armor protecting the core and then sniper it from afar.

Best fps boss.

Ramirez said:
I really want them to fix the online portion, but I have my doubts as I've never even heard them admit that it had problems in the first place. :( Hell there were tons of people on this board that tried to argue that the host advantage wasn't that big of a deal...:lol

It's unbelievable. Nobody called them out on this. None of the reviewers, nobody. They got a complete free pass on something that was completely broken and crippled the game. For me, it made it completely unplayable and I won't be touching the sequel until I have assurances it's better (I'll probably rent it). Most of GAF pretends it wasn't a problem either. Or maybe they never even tried online, I dunno.

Given a given GeOW thread, with say, 1000 replies, there will be like two posts (one of them mine) complaining about the netcode (or lack thereof) in the first game. Everyone esle is just splooging like it wasn't a gargantuan problem. It baffles me.

Salazar

Dizzan said:

In some ways, this beats the pants off stumbling around a dungeon being nibbled by rats.

FFChris

Hmm. With the impending release of Fable 2 and NG2 I'm a lot less fussed about this game than I was with the first one! Hopefully something will be added that will totally blow me away and sell the game.

Tieno

Domino Theory said:
It'll be better than Mass Effect's SP?
Sounds more like hyperbole instead of a rumor. They're only comparable regarding 3rd person shooting and Gears is the best there is. I liked Mass Effect for different reasons.

Jacobi

Banned
Some of the characters are TOTALLY RIPPED OFF LEFT4DEAD, rite????

just a comparison to the TF2-BF:heroes bullshit

Tieno

My Arms Your Hearse said:
It's unbelievable. Nobody called them out on this. None of the reviewers, nobody. They got a complete free pass on something that was completely broken and crippled the game. For me, it made it completely unplayable and I won't be touching the sequel until I have assurances it's better (I'll probably rent it). Most of GAF pretends it wasn't a problem either. Or maybe they never even tried online, I dunno.

Given a given GeOW thread, with say, 1000 replies, there will be like two posts (one of them mine) complaining about the netcode (or lack thereof) in the first game.
Everyone esle is just splooging like it wasn't a gargantuan problem. It baffles me.
Were you even in the first GoW thread? I remember a lot of complaining about the netcode. Every gow thread since release has had plenty of complaining about netcode.

VaLiancY

Router said:
Why? I thought everyone wanted them to flesh out the story this time? Maria sounds like a great addition.

I like the idea of adding more story elements but they could've come on stronger then "she got lost in a ruined civilization". Sounds pretty weak to me since everyone thought she was dead.

elguerosinfe said:

We got that "Pendulum Wars" prequel novel for that fix in the summer I believe.

Tieno said:
What does that even mean?
I think it means that Gears 2 will have four or possibly even five different building variations to explore, which is a huge improvement over the three building variations in Mass Effect.

FightyF

Banned
Yoboman said:
Yeah sorry, the game looked nowhere near that good. Off with the rose tints

Totally agree, but note the differences. Lack of FSAA in the released version, and the lighting model was simpler. It looks like the new lighting model is a lot like the one shown in that screen. As far as FSAA is concerned, I'm not expecting it in GoW2.

Yoboman

Knowing Gears of War's story, you'll probably see Maria for about 20 seconds and just as you think the story is about to go somewhere, they'll randomly jump on another train heading to a gigantic chasm with a lightmass bomb aboard for no apparent reason

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
A shut up button?

Now that's next gen.

I might end up replaying the game just to shut Dom up over and over.

FightyF

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:

Given a given GeOW thread, with say, 1000 replies, there will be like two posts (one of them mine) complaining about the netcode (or lack thereof) in the first game. Everyone esle is just splooging like it wasn't a gargantuan problem. It baffles me.

While I do recognize it as a problem, it didn't make the game not fun, I found it fun to play online.

On the other hand, if I were playing it very competitively, I'd be singing a different tune.

I am just hoping that the media is just like me...not really bringing it up a whole lot because I think Epic already knows about it and they are going to fix it. Perhaps that's a dangerous attitude...don't know yet.

Sean

Banned
FightyF said:
While I do recognize it as a problem, it didn't make the game not fun, I found it fun to play online.

On the other hand, if I were playing it very competitively, I'd be singing a different tune.

How could you possibly have fun playing the game when it ends up being completely random?

I am baffled at the huge success GoW MP had (and still has) since it's broken as hell.

Tieno

Sean said:
How could you possibly have fun playing the game when it ends up being completely random?
The times when it wasn't completely random, which for me was still plenty of times. I also don't cry or care about my K/D ratio.

FightyF

Banned
Sean said:

I am baffled at the huge success GoW MP had (and still has) since it's broken as hell.

Could the fact that I was always invited by local friends have anything to do with it? Closer geographical proximity means less lag issues?

Even if it was broken to some degree, if it's crazy fun, it's crazy fun. I remember playing Quake 2 CTF over 28.8 dial up and even though lots of us had a bad ping the game was still fun. I remember playing FLF over European servers with 150 ping (and I wasn't the only one) because it was so fun.

GoW's concept is fairly unique and fresh...and implemented well. Add great visuals, sound, and presentation to that...and it's no surprise to me why so many enjoyed playing it online. Again, if there were clans or serious competitors out there, I can understand their frustrations. But for many of us it was a fun multiplayer experience.

Ramirez

Did Gears even have K/D stat tracking? I just remember it being completely bare bones on statistics. I guess if you play it casually you could like it, but I'm just way too competitive to play bullshit that usually ended with a lot of randomness.

Ramirez said:
Did Gears even have K/D stat tracking? I just remember it being completely bare bones on statistics. I guess if you play it casually you could like it, but I'm just way too competitive to play bullshit that usually ended with a lot of randomness.

It tracked a fair number of stuff from Ranked games but I don't remember the details. It definitely recorded kills (and how you killed) but I don't think it had deaths.

I never bothered with the ranked portion because my blood pressure really would have reached life-threatening levels. It's even more boggling considerding who developed the game.

Sean

Banned
Tieno said:
The times when it wasn't completely random, which for me was still plenty of times. I also don't cry or care about my K/D ratio.

I don't care about my K/D ratio either but it's annoying to shoot a guy at point blank range with the shotgun and have nothing happen to him, but he does the same and you go down. It's especially frustrating since you don't respawn so essentially you are punished for Epic's shitty netcode.

I don't play competitively (almost always unranked "player matches") but I just found myself cursing at the game too much. Probably 95% of the games were super laggy for me.

JimiNutz

Banned
Received huge boner once I read the info and then actually shot my load when I saw the scans. Mmmmmmm Maria. NOM NOM NOM

Sean said:
I don't care about my K/D ratio either but it's annoying to shoot a guy at point blank range with the shotgun and have nothing happen to him, but he does the same and you go down. It's especially frustrating since you don't respawn so essentially you are punished for Epic's shitty netcode.

I don't play competitively (almost always unranked "player matches") but I just found myself cursing at the game too much. Probably 95% of the games were super laggy for me.

It's even better when they shoot you with the shotgun, FROM TEN MILES AWAY, and your head is "sniped off." I still don't have a reasonable explanation for that one (because, well, there isn't one).

The game really got unbearable as they began to "beef up" the Lancer. Well, that's good IN THEORY. The problem: The only person it helped was the host. My improved lancer could fire all day long! None of the bullets ever bothered to register! Host shoots you with Lancer? You're down in less than a second! Awesome! And the Pistol was always extremely abusable in this manner. The shotgun gets most of the hate, deservedly, but the whole thing was borked. And well, the shotgun was completely random, even when the host wasn't involved - I mean, fix that shit.

Tieno

If Epic is not going with dedicated servers they should call Bungie regarding netcode. As time goes on I rarely experience lag (especially after the improved melee code). I'd be interested if MS can somehow leverage Bungie's experience with netcode or is this stuff too dependent on the game itself?

Top Bottom