• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

Kibbles

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
It's a remake for Gears 2. There is a comparison picture, side by side of the old and the new Gridlock.
Yeah I saw it, looks like improved textures, sky, and much better lighting. Hard to tell things from a blurry cam shot though :p

Kydd BlaZe

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
"We were shown a vast underground cave level wherin Marcus and his companions will take the fight to the Locust. Unlike the sometimes cramped and and linear subterranean paths from the first game, the cavern complex is vast and breathtaking. Branching levels and open spaces give players true tactical choices as they decide which way to tackle an assault. Whatever path you choose, bio-luminescent plants light light the faces of the new Locust Kantus enemies. These monk-like devils hum low and droning chants that can be focused into sonic attacks against you. They wield weapons like the new Gorgon burst pistol and poison grenades, both of which can become part of your arsenal if you play your cards right. However, the Kantus' true danger lies in their ability to revive their fallen bretheren from afar. Where before you could rest easy after taking down an enemy soldier, now there is the constant danger of them rising back up to continue to fight. The only alternative is to brave the hail of gunfire to break through enemy ranks and kill the Kantus sulking in the rear. Along the way, you may not have access to stable cover anymore, so you'll have to make do with the moving kind. Massive Locust rock worms will emerge from the cavern walls during battle, guided by the Kantus' chanting. Luckily, the creatures are so large you can hide behind them as they sliter about, and you too will be able to guide them to an advantageous firing position."

This paragraph= infinite win!

This shit sounds epic.

nib95

Banned
Are scans not allowed to be posted on the GAF any more or something? I NEED to see the screens man!!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I can't wait to put chainsaw to Locust grub again. The splatter on the screen afterwards made me giggle like a Japanese schoolgirl who lost her panties again. :D

I_D

I can understand being against the rules to post scans, but is it against the rules to post a link to a forum that contains the scans?

Or... how about posting a link to a thread that doesn't actually have the scans, but the scans are on the next page, or something?

I tried that little "gamespot gears of war 2 forum" trick, and it didn't work.

I wonder if they'll have more immulsion, perhaps immulsion as a monetary system. Maybe the Gears can sell Immulsion and buy new armor and guns. Makes for some cool achievements! :D

jet1911

Just saw the "scans". Is it really that hard not to move for less than a second? I'll buy the mag tomorrow. :lol

nib95

Banned
New scans are awesome. Especially the new creatures, they look formidable and quite scary. I honestly can't wait for this game! The first is still my fav co-op campaign experience this gen.

armubaba

jet1911 said:
Just saw the "scans". Is it really that hard not to move for less than a second? I'll buy the mag tomorrow. :lol

No kidding, eh? :lol

What I saw did look awesome though, and I am awaiting some official pics.

I_D

After searching Google for a good while, I think you're all in a conspiracy together.

Everywhere I've looked the screens have been taken down.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SHOTEH FOCK OP, you are the man for posting that info - I just woke up in the wee hours of the morning to finish up a project and totally did not expect to wake up to the first Gears of War 2 info blowout!

And damn, Game Informer does it again - it's like every damn month they got an exclusive premiere, I could have called it, seriously...

I saw the blurry cam pics, and read your info, and hot damn am I hyped - most would know how much I loved the first as I still play it and talk about it all the time, and from what I read and saw, Cliffy wasn't kidding when it would be bigger, more badass and better in every which way - the new environments look and sound huge, the new enemies look and sound gruesome as hell, especially those Locust rock worms (whoa) and the new characters look to bring even more fun and banter (which is one of many high points of Gears SP, the "real" talk between them all) to Gears 2 - and you sure as hell can't go wrong with more Baird and Cole!

The Kantus looks and sounds pretty sick too... and the Gridlock remake looks gorgeous too!

I know you're watching this thread Cliffy, like you always do - make sure you bring back all of the original characters for MP (yes, especially Carmine) - and good shit with the game so far! I gotta see long lit takes for this mag to show up over here in Europe because it's a definite must-buy for me!

Firestorm said:
Crap. This makes it sound like they're sticking to 2 player co-op =(

No it doesn't - or else it would have said "both" - not like I know 100% of course, but that's some easy PR 101 right there as no number was give, just two examples...

I'm not hyping myself up for 4 players, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they announce 4 player co-op, especially with the theme of everything being bigger for Gears 2...

dagZ

Aladuf23 said:
The pix look great, I'm digging the hell out of the remade Gridlock.

yea. don't know how they could make it look any better than it already was, but they did.

Skilotonn said:
SHOTEH FOCK OP, you are the man for posting that info - I just woke up in the wee hours of the morning to finish up a project and totally did not expect to wake up to the first Gears of War 2 info blowout!

You are too kind!

Yes here is a quote from the article concerning co-op:

"While we haven't yet heard about any plans to expand beyond the two-person play options of the first game, the way that the cooperative campaign will flow has shifted in some important ways."

Then they go on to talk about the drop in drop out gameplay, different save files, and having individual difficulty levels.

Kibbles

beerbelly said:
Just saw the pics. If that is all real time then mind = blown. Don't even think you've seen anything based on that tech demo shown at GDC.

Maria looks attractive actually. I'm surprised UE3 can make good looking women after Gears of War 1's.
To be fair, the tech demo was running the new features on Gears 1... not Gears 2.

Saw the scans..
From what I can tell, the only real time/gameplay shot(s) is the Gridlock comparison.

The action screens with marcus fighting the new enemies can't be real..

jett

D-Member
The character designs...lulz.

I can barely see shit in the photos, impossible to judge the graphics.

FIREBABY

abacab driver said:
Saw the scans..
From what I can tell, the only real time/gameplay shot(s) is the Gridlock comparison.

The action screens with marcus fighting the new enemies can't be real..
But what if they are........???:D

jet1911

FIREBABY said:
But what if they are........???:D

It has the same look as this screen.

gears-of-war-20051003095644817.jpg

Not realtime. ;)

Proelite

Yoboman said:
If they are, then they're about as "real" as the early Gears of War shots

I'll be fine if Gears 2 only looks a tad better than Gears 1. Graphics is the least of the areas that Gears 2 should improve upon.

GHG

Holy shit, this sounds awesome. Also the pics are just :O ... Can't wait for some high res ones. This year is shaping up to be better than last year no question.

Kibbles

jet1911 said:
It has the same look as this screen.
[Insert big pic here]
Not realtime. ;)
Really? Looks exactly just like the game, but just in a positioned 'cool' pose.

Gears 2 early shots should be much more close to the final product than early Gears 1 shots Gears 2 is coming out later this year. Not only that though, but Gears 1 in early stages was still experimenting with the engine. They got their style now, and revamped it for Gears 2. We are only months away now.

Proelite

This and then a Resistance 2 trailer. This is going to be a hell of a week. :D Gaf is going to be like a couche after a 65 guy creampie.

Top Bottom