• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Laughlin

Ran into a few bugs that required a checkpoint reset to continue, certain enemies seem to target me and only me a bit unfairly, and the writing is a big step back from the previous game.

I'm using Active Reload right now...

You know what I mean. In multiplayer, with a damage boost.

ShogunX

Tomb Raider MP is more enjoyable than judgment. That's fucked up.

No. Tomb Raider multiplayer is an afterthought with a terrible spawn system, bad netcode and bunny hopping. A lot of matches end up being a 2v2 (quitters galore) which in turn becomes some of the most boring, tedious stuff around.

A lot of what you say is true but it is still more fun to play. Camping spawns in rescue with my DB shotgun is awesome.
You are the worst kind of person.
In Tomb Raider MP, I've seen people dropping landmines and fake ammo boxes (which act as landmines) at spawn point, so the next player get blown up as soon as they spawn, nothing they can do about it, that's bad design right there.

I still can't believe they only released 4 competitive multiplayer maps and are charging people to unlock the rest.. At least give us 4 unquestionably good maps ;[

george_us

Nearly done with the campaign. Unlike the previous Gears's games, pretty much every single mission and encounter has been memorable and fantastic for me. Definitely washes the bad taste that Gears 3 left out of my mouth.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Something must be wrong in Overrun. As a Locust, my cooldown time of Medic is pretty low. As a COG, is RIDICULOUSLY LONG! What the hell?

COG stim gas lets you instantly get back 100% health as soon as the gas touches you, you never drop a percentage of health while hit in it, you get almost instantly revived from it when killed without getting gibbed/headshotted, even if you die multiple times in the gas from a Rager one-hit beatdown, and can be thrown across the map.

Locust healing takes time to gradually heal a hurt teammate, and can only revive downed teammates, meaning only Grenadiers and no one else, and that revive has the Grenadier standing still (although almost invincible) for a few seconds - sounds balanced to me.

In fact, I wouldn't change a thing for the Overrun balance at all, I'm impressed that they nailed it perfectly since everything has a counter. Even the Engineer turrets are fine because you really need them for Ticker and Wretch rushers, and the recharge time is so long for them even though they last for less than 30 seconds. If you see one, just wait it out and then run in, or hit it with a grenade of a few seconds of Lancer fire. Better yet, as soon as the Engineer who placed the turret dies, his turret disappears.

george_us

It REALLY feels like it. It's the same standard Gears 3 had, and NONE of the different things about Judgment (save the control changes) - no ammo drops, etc. Sigh...I miss Gears 3 now :p
I don't. I replayed Gears 3 earlier and the campaign is dull as shit. I thought from Shattered Paradise onward was where 3 got good and even that felt extremely dull compared to almost any of the missions in Judgement. People Can Fly really knocked it out of the park.

JHall

I agree. The character movement feels like GeOW1. It's not a big turnoff for me, but I definitely prefer the faster moving characters in GeOW3.

Gears 1 and Gears 3 have the same movement speed. The only difference is that Gears 1 has no stopping power, Gears 3 does.

Gears 2 had reduced movement speed to help newer players. (Yes, Cliffy B actually said that).

A lot of what you say is true but it is still more fun to play. Camping spawns in rescue with my DB shotgun is awesome.

i1lIhULeTjVbO.gif

Just finished the campaign. While the battles themselves were fun. Nothing exciting happened the entire campaign. Nothing really memorable like in other games. I am pretty shocked actually. I don't play multiplayer for any of the games so I'm just referring to the single player but wow... the best part for me was the beach. All 3 people I know who I've played the prior games with me, were just shaking their heads. WTF happened. :(

Nearly done with the campaign. Unlike the previous Gears's games, pretty much every single mission and encounter has been memorable and fantastic for me. Definitely washes the bad taste that Gears 3 left out of my mouth.

Interesting, I seem to be seeing a lot of the opposite sentiment from other gaffers and reviewers. Looking forward to checking it out soon.

Just finished the campaign. While the battles themselves were fun. Nothing exciting happened the entire campaign. Nothing really memorable like in other games. I am pretty shocked actually. I don't play multiplayer for any of the games so I'm just referring to the single player but wow... the best part for me was the beach. All 3 people I know who I've played the prior games with me, were just shaking their heads. WTF happened. :(

the skyboxes/backgrounds are very nice. probably the only thing that really stood out to me.

Loaded Man

Sounds like you're experiencing franchise fatigue with Gears. I am having the same feeling after completing the first act. I think it's time for Epic to put Gears on the shelf for a while.

the skyboxes/backgrounds are very nice. probably the only thing that really stood out to me.

I think the lighting and areas look fantastic. Also enjoyed some of the enviromental hazard challenges, my favorite being the wind, but no great set peices, nothing interesting, no vehicles, no interesting cutscenes, and a final boss that was pretty pathetic. If this wasn't a GEARS game and had no prior expectations to live up to, it would make a great first entry to a series. As it is... as far as single player campaign, it's the worst. Still a fun game, but man were we all disappointed.

Sounds like you're experiencing franchise fatigue with Gears. I am having the same feeling after completing the first act. I think it's time for Epic to put Gears on the shelf for a while.

It's not fatigue. I just played the new God of War and really enjoyed that. Gears games, me and my buddies just love going through the campaign. The campain here is just severly gimped compared to the old ones. I mean when the extra campaign is better then the entire main campaign, you know there is a problem. Again, nothing memorable in this GEARS game. I can remember things from all previous games no problem. Trying to remember anything from this one a few months from now.... Yeah... Nope... If anything just remembering how disappointing it was. It gets better around the half way mark, but still... NOTHING happens that's worth a damn imo. Also I thought maybe it was just me... nope my friends I played with had the same thoughts, and I asked a few others. Most people I talk to say this just was not up to par when it comes to the campaign.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I noticed this being a gigantic problem in just the Overrun demo, a couple dudes putting up turrets at one spawn point can keep the other team camped in.

They were talking about TR, not Gears. It's impossible/stupid for the COG to try something like that. Turret lasts ~8 seconds with no one attacking it and has a fairly long cooldown.

RibMan

Gears 1 and Gears 3 have the same movement speed. The only difference is that Gears 1 has no stopping power, Gears 3 does.

Gears 2 had reduced movement speed to help newer players. (Yes, Cliffy B actually said that).

Interesting. I just tried Gridlock on both GeOW1 an GeOW3, and Gears 3 has a much greater sense of speed and fluidity. This won't make much sense but Gears 1 feels significantly 'clunkier'; everything from the ninja roll to weapon aiming is smoother in Gears 3.

Gears 2 multi-player was a really bad experience. Aside from the poor maps, the weapons just never felt quite right. From the little I've played of Judgment, the game seems to be more in line with GeOW3 multi-player than GeOW2 - which is excellent for me.

MormaPope

Banned
They were talking about TR, not Gears. It's impossible/stupid for the COG to try something like that. Turret lasts 8 seconds with no one attacking it and has a fairly long cooldown.

On the Overrun map in the demo that's a very easy way to dominate early in the round. You can also bait Grenadier locusts and then plop a turret down and get double/triple kills multiple times, the turret is severely OP'ed.

It's better at being used as an offensive weapon than being used as a defensive weapon.

Papercuts

On the Overrun map in the demo that's a very easy way to dominate early in the round. You can also bait Grenadier locusts and then plop a turret down and get double/triple kills multiple times, the turret is severely OP'ed.

The turret goes away if the engineer dies, if you're talking about a situation where he runs at enemies, puts it down and rolls away. People can just focus on killing him, especially as a ticker you can blow it up in the brief period of startup. The engineer is absolute shit for enemies like serepedes because he only has a shotgun, so he can be pretty gimped during the long cool down. It's needed to activate that fast/be so strong to counter tickers and wretches which are actually extremely powerful units.

On the overrun demo map the locust can spawn as tickers and destroy the leftmost barricade and middle piece before the cog can even reach them. Tickers are GAWDLIKE.

MormaPope

Banned
The turret goes away if the engineer dies, if you're talking about a situation where he runs at enemies, puts it down and rolls away. People can just focus on killing him, especially as a ticker you can blow it up in the brief period of startup. The engineer is absolute shit for enemies like serepedes because he only has a shotgun, so he can be pretty gimped during the long cool down. It's needed to activate that fast/be so strong to counter tickers and wretches which are actually extremely powerful units.

On the overrun demo map the locust can spawn as tickers and destroy the leftmost barricade and middle piece before the cog can even reach them. Tickers are GAWDLIKE.

A lot of people in the demo just play as the Grenadier class, so I guess that explains why the turret tactic works overtime. And in general people in the demo suck ass at the game completely, I've gotten enough points to use the mauler in the first round and kept trucking until the middle of the 3rd round.

Is this game worth buying for the campaign?

-Loved Gears 1. Beat it 4 times.
-Gears 2 bored me to tears.
-Gear 3 was great. Didn't feel the need to replay, though.

Papercuts

A lot of people in the demo just play as the Grenadier class, so I guess that explains why the turret tactic works overtime. And in general people in the demo suck ass at the game completely, I've gotten enough points to use the mauler in the first round and kept trucking until the middle of the 3rd round.

Yeah, basically doing a breakdown just for Engineer on locust combat:

Tickers - His nemesis. They tear through barricades which he needs to fix up, so a quick turret keeps them away giving him time to fix it up. During the cooldown is the main time to strike, but he can just walk up and melee them away.

Wretches - Also an engineer specialty. They go down quick, but if multiple wretches are present and they mix up their lines of approach leaping over barricades can confuse the turret and 2 melee hits = death. They are more effective on some of the other maps due to more hiding space and special climb areas.

Grenadiers - They go slow and have to respect the turret. Not too hard for them to just wait it out, and I believe a single grenade can take it down too.

Kantus - Shouldn't be in the front to get hit by a turret.

Now, I pretty much think the entire second tier shits on him.

Rager - Makes it VERY hard for him to fix barricades. A common tactic for an engineer is to place a turret right in front of a barricade while they take cover and repair. Since this is acting like a weapon, his head is exposed and he is motionless leading to an easy headshot. Which also immediately removes the turret. Plus they can rage if close and take it head on.

Serepede - Shotgun is so damn slow to really do much for them here. Only effective means of attack is to place a turret behind it, but when they are destroying your barricades that is pretty much impossible.

Mauler - Pretty much a literal bitchslap to everything he can do. Shield negates turret and the spin attack can let him be offensive during the short lifespan of it. If he is trying to fix a barricade the main attack will do heavy damage to it and kill him outright.

Corpser - Again, very little he can do. Thing mutilates cover(and him if he's fixing it) and it can hide from the turret long enough to make it go away, and outright destroys it in one hit.

His weaknesses can be remedied by other players and smart playing in general, but he really needs that turret the way it is. Overrun in general is pretty much a slow buildup to being decimated by the locust and the better team will just last a little bit longer.

Is this game worth buying for the campaign?

-Loved Gears 1. Beat it 4 times.
-Gears 2 bored me to tears.
-Gear 3 was great. Didn't feel the need to replay, though.

It depends. It is very different compared to the other games and doesn't really have much in the line of downtime and buildup. It's essentially a ton of combat rooms but right from the start it fires on pretty much all cylinders, throwing out 5+ wretches, boomers, boltok users, etc. along with having special Declassified objectives that you can opt into that make it harder either by beefing up the enemies or hindering you in some way.

It is basically pure gears combat dialed to 11, and I personally am really enjoying it. But I can see why other people would be down on it.

Spitz

We had a lot of fun last night with the first two chapters of the campaign and survival mode. Judgement fixes many things that Gears 1-3 did wrong for me and my Gears coop buddy's. The Horde parts in the campaign fix the biggest flaw of Gears 2-3 Horde Mode to start the round when everyone is ready before the timer ends. That could have saved a lot of wasted time for me. Jumping from little edges is also a great plus of Judgement. Really like the game so far can't wait to finish the game on Insane with all Declassified Missions.

It depends. It is very different compared to the other games and doesn't really have much in the line of downtime and buildup. It's essentially a ton of combat rooms but right from the start it fires on pretty much all cylinders, throwing out 5+ wretches, boomers, boltok users, etc. along with having special Declassified objectives that you can opt into that make it harder either by beefing up the enemies or hindering you in some way.

It is basically pure gears combat dialed to 11, and I personally am really enjoying it. But I can see why other people would be down on it.

This in particular was very striking to me. From the very first encounter, the game is firing on all cylinders and never lets up for a second. A good number of the encounters also encourage close-range fights (early declassified fight with low visibility and cleaver enemies comes to mind), letting the player decimate enemies with Gnasher hipfire. I personally played through 2-player coop on Hardcore, declassifying all missions and loved it. Best Gears campaign by a mile imo. I thought the increased "intensity" Epic talked about in PR wasn't going to pan out significantly but man was I wrong.

On the other hand, the Aftermath campaign bored the hell out of me. Declassification gimmicks are amazing fun and fucking make the game.

Had a couple of hours playing the multiplayer demo last night, think I am going to pass on this gears.

Think I played too much gears this gen, I seem a bit burnt out on the series. Will come back once Gears 4 is released, next gen horde will be epic.

-PXG-

Hardcore is a joke. You basically have to do Declassified to get any challenge whatsoever. Insane better be more difficult.

This game is reminds me of Halo 4, in regards to how map control is essentially dead. With such large maps, sporadic spawning and verticality, you HAVE to run and jump around to find people. No more stand offs, no more holding spots down, no more epic pushes, no more flanking, no more strats, ect. Just run around aimlessly and accumulate kills.

For the most part, controls and weapons are fine. But it goes to show you how awful level design and the lack of Locusts really downgrade the game. I can't tell you how many times I've shot teammates or thrown nades at friendlies, or how many times I've suicided from an explosion because I hit a someone on my team. Ugh. Locusts are the other half of this game. Their design and the call outs were essential queues for helping you distinguish who is who. Plus, they just looked cool.

This game has potential, but it's a fucking mess, to say the least.

I found the Declassified mission with the poison gas to be memorable, along with the one with the fog. I can't finish the poison one by myself; I need some peeps to co-op it, but no one on my list is playing it, which I find surprising. Then again, there didn't seem to be a big marketing push with this Gears compared to the others.

Feindflug

This in particular was very striking to me. From the very first encounter, the game is firing on all cylinders and never lets up for a second. A good number of the encounters also encourage close-range fights (early declassified fight with low visibility and cleaver enemies comes to mind), letting the player decimate enemies with Gnasher hipfire. I personally played through 2-player coop on Hardcore, declassifying all missions and loved it. Best Gears campaign by a mile imo. I thought the increased "intensity" Epic talked about in PR wasn't going to pan out significantly but man was I wrong.

On the other hand, the Aftermath campaign bored the hell out of me. Declassification gimmicks are amazing fun and fucking make the game.

I really like the sound of the declassified missions plus the dynamic spawn system, in fact the overall more arcade/scoring style of the campaign looks like a lot of fun especially at co-op.

Also to the guys wondering about the low number of players at the MP, tomorrow the game comes out here in Europe so I guess things will get more crowded in a few days.

highrider

Banned
I don't. I replayed Gears 3 earlier and the campaign is dull as shit. I thought from Shattered Paradise onward was where 3 got good and even that felt extremely dull compared to almost any of the missions in Judgement. People Can Fly really knocked it out of the park.
Completely agree. Entertaining missions with variables that keep it interesting.

JB1981

Wait, do you unlock the character itself when you kill one? That's cool.

Active reload is there, it just doesn't buff guns outside of campaign. Which is a great change in my opinion.

Then what is the point of having active reload in the game if it doesn't affect gameplay?

JB1981

Interesting. I just tried Gridlock on both GeOW1 an GeOW3, and Gears 3 has a much greater sense of speed and fluidity. This won't make much sense but Gears 1 feels significantly 'clunkier'; everything from the ninja roll to weapon aiming is smoother in Gears 3.

Gears 2 multi-player was a really bad experience. Aside from the poor maps, the weapons just never felt quite right. From the little I've played of Judgment, the game seems to be more in line with GeOW3 multi-player than GeOW2 - which is excellent for me.

You're right on all counts. Gears 1 and 3 movement speed is night and day. Gears 3 is a lot faster, players are more nimble, cover is much less sticky etc. There is no comparison

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
This game is reminds me of Halo 4, in regards to how map control is essentially dead. With such large maps, sporadic spawning and verticality, you HAVE to run and jump around to find people. No more stand offs, no more holding spots down, no more epic pushes, no more flanking, no more strats, ect. Just run around aimlessly and accumulate kills.

For the most part, controls and weapons are fine. But it goes to show you how awful level design and the lack of Locusts really downgrade the game. I can't tell you how many times I've shot teammates or thrown nades at friendlies, or how many times I've suicided from an explosion because I hit a someone on my team. Ugh. Locusts are the other half of this game. Their design and the call outs were essential queues for helping you distinguish who is who. Plus, they just looked cool.

This game has potential, but it's a fucking mess, to say the least.

Yup! Hands down the maps are Judgment's biggest problem. Awful design in every way possible. TDM has lost its charm.

JB1981

So if Overrun doesn't grab you, what exactly does the MP in this game offer that Gears 3 doesn't? I mean why should I drop that game and play this? It seems like a step back or sideways in every way possible.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
So if Overrun doesn't grab you, what exactly does the MP in this game offer that Gears 3 doesn't? I mean why should I drop that game and play this? It seems like a step back or sideways in every way possible.

If you don't appreciate CoD style FFA, then stay with Gears 3. At least for now.

REV 09

It's new, fun, and offers a different twist on the Gears formula. If you like Gears then Judgment is worth playing. It isn't better than Gears 3 though if that's what you're asking.

-PXG-

I'm at work but can't help outlining what could be betterin this game. Declassified missions are a great idea, but could have been fleshed out so much more. Oh my goodness, soooooo much potential wasted.

That's really how feel overall. Good core ideas, but wasted potential and half assed, careless execution.

Then what is the point of having active reload in the game if it doesn't affect gameplay?

it does. getting an active reload in MP still means your reloading your gun faster than normal and some weapons have the AR bar fairly close to the left side of the bar, significantly reducing the reload time. it also creates the possibility of jamming your gun.

AR damage boost, weapon executions and meatshields are still present in in the campaign.

you can always go back to playing the old games. I can totally see myself jumping back and forth between Gears1, Gears3 and Gears:J

Top Bottom