• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Remaster Footage

Well Gears more than any other series has a reputation for launching with broken MP.

I wouldn't say that is entirely true, for the second game yeah. The first worked fine, just needed to have a player with an outstanding connection hosting the match or you'd get some pretty bad bullet lag. The second game launched pretty broken, but Gears of War 3 and Judgement had solid launches.

I think something to note here is that the remaster is 60fps. This sets a precedent for Gears 4 to be 60fps as well. I figured they would have stayed with 30fps in order to maximize the visuals. I hope Gears 4 still blows us away like the series did on the 360.

Trojan X

Banned
Will they improve the gameplay at all? Especially for part 2 and 3. A much better horde mode and squad play would be good as those were so underwhelming.

Pooya

I played Gears 1 only on PC and it didn't look like that, actually looks like a notable upgrade with all new textures and baked lighting. could use a refresher.

I seriously lol at posts that state gears 1 was the best multiplayer in series, here is some of the fuckery that was present
-invincibility while chainsawing
-weapon sliding
-crab walking
-invincibility glitches on all the maps on certain spots
-host advantage
-cant look over cover
-active downing
-random gnasher spread
-weak rifles
-no stopping power so u can rush in straight line with shotgun
-cant cancel out of wallbounce

I wouldn't say that is entirely true, for the second game yeah. The first worked fine, just needed to have a player with an outstanding connection hosting the match or you'd get some pretty bad bullet lag. The second game launched pretty broken, but Gears of War 3 and Judgement had solid launches.
Gears 3 was actually laggy as hell on launch, the beta however was perfect. I know this because I was reading my forum posts on epic boards complaining about lag. They eventually fixed it but gears has always had launch problems

Yeah, you see not everyone has a PC gaming rig.
it's a good thing everyone's got a PS4 and Xbox One tho. imagine if those consoles weren't even as ubiquitous as PC, lol.

I'd buy the shit out of this game if I still had an Xbox One, because it's a real remaster (although if it were just a " " Remaster " ", it'd be perfectly valid to say "just get the version that'll run on a toaster that's been 5 bucks for 10 years", as it typically is when people blithely suggest they'll drop full price for " " remasters " " of literally every fuckin' game they liked last generation). Assuming it came with more than one game. because Fuck paying anything near fifty or sixty bucks for just Gears of War 1 in 2015, full stop.

jelly

Crossplay is fine unless you've got a competitive advantage, something like Fable Legends, co-op, doesn't matter. If they could force Xbox One controller as standard without any ability to fool the platform with a hack for something like Gears of War multiplayer, cross play would be cool, otherwise make it seperate player pools or don't bother.

flozuki

I seriously lol at posts that state gears 1 was the best multiplayer in series, here is some of the fuckery that was present
-invisibility while chainsawing
-weapon sliding
-crab walking
-invinsibility glitches on all the maps on certain spots
-host advantage
-cant look over cover
-active downing
-random gnasher spread
-weak rifles

Gears 3 was actually laggy as hell on launch, the beta however was perfect. I know this because I was reading my forum posts on epic boards complaining about lag. They eventually fixed it but gears has always had launch problems

That might be correct, nevertheless I had the most tense and awesome MP-battles in Gears 1. Bigger and more badass is unfortunately not always
better and we can also do a list with the failings of part 2 and 3 without problems.

The Chef

I think something to note here is that the remaster is 60fps. This sets a precedent for Gears 4 to be 60fps as well. I figured they would have stayed with 30fps in order to maximize the visuals. I hope Gears 4 still blows us away like the series did on the 360.

Why would you think that?

Crossplay is fine unless you've got a competitive advantage, something like Fable Legends, co-op, doesn't matter. If they could force Xbox One controller as standard without any ability to fool the platform with a hack for something like Gears of War multiplayer, cross play would be cool, otherwise make it seperate player pools or don't bother.

Or bring out a kb&mouse style controller for xbox ... (as rumoured)... Or just let you use kb&m - it is windows after all

flyshow

I thought MS doesn't believe in crossplay? KB/M > Controller for accuracy and all that.

The roadie-run-and-shotgun style in Gears does not require the kind of accuracy needed in pure shooters. Also when talk about accuracy, there's things more than shooting such as movement accuracy, which would be more comfortable with a controller in a heavily action-packed game.

I think the asymmetric controlling scheme is not a key gauge for MS to evaluate whether they should put Gears Remaster on crossplay. The message they convey via Fable Legends is that the new Fable being a crossplay f2p title is more an experiment on Game As A Service. Gears is just too heavy weighted to be a crossplay title at the moment. I doubt any MS first party IPs would follow the new model before Fable Legends has proved anything.

That might be correct, nevertheless I had the most tense and awesome MP-battles in Gears 1. Bigger and more badass is unfortunately not always
better and we can also do a list with the failings of part 2 and 3 without problems.

go ahead and make a list of gears 3 problems, i want to know what u didnt like about it

Gears of War 3 was absolutely fine for me on launch. I never had the lag issues that you did.

-weapon sliding
-crab walking
-host advantage
-cant look over cover
-active downing
-random gnasher spread
-weak rifles

I didn't run into most of the problems you listed here and I've probably played more Gears 1 online then any other multiplayer game. And the ones I did run into didn't happen enough to ruin the multiplayer. Host advantage was massively exaggerated. It was there, but it wasn't even close to impossible to beat someone one on one that had host advantage.

Also, if you rushed people straight on with a shotgun and they couldn't down you, you were just playing some people who were really bad at Gears.

go ahead and make a list of gears 3 problems, i want to know what u didnt like about it

but we already know though, it's the same handful of problems everyone has.

I.e. Retro, swawed off, savage kantus hitbox, active scorcher, fem. character hitboxes, ect.

by no means 3 was perfect but it agitates me when the majority of people shit on it just because of the first two reasons and go and praise the first game.

Xyber

Yeah, even with all the flaws the game had, it was still the best MP experience out of the 3 for me. But that is because I mostly played private games for like a year. Host advantage wasn't really a big thing because we all lived in Sweden, so no matter where you lived you didn't really have a ping higher than 40 and in most cases lower. And people didn't abuse glitches and stuff.

The other games just didn't grab us as much and because they removed the ability to host ranked servers it just didn't get played a lot because the lag that was awful for a long time after launch. Grenade tagging on walls also sucked balls.

dEvAnGeL

i will buy an xbone just to play some good gears MP, there's 2 games i miss from last gen, red dead redemption SP and gears MP

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Yeah, even with all the flaws the game had, it was still the best MP experience out of the 3 for me. But that is because I mostly played private games for like a year. Host advantage wasn't really a big thing because we all lived in Sweden, so no matter where you lived you didn't really have a ping higher than 40 and in most cases lower. And people didn't abuse glitches and stuff.

The other games just didn't grab us as much and because they removed the ability to host ranked servers it just didn't get played a lot because the lag that was awful for a long time after launch. Grenade tagging on walls also sucked balls.

Yeah, same here. I played GOW 1 for years with same group of people, we all lived on the East Coast so lag wasn't problem and we usually took turns being host. We all bought GOW2 but that game was a turd. So, then we all got GOW3 but the game wasn't the same. GOW3 took everything that made GOW1 great and basically ruined it, the battles that were once up close and personal became long distance retro lancer battles and people would now sit behind a corner with a sawed off and basically camp. Yes, technically GOW3 is superior game but gameplay wise it sucked.

-weapon sliding
-crab walking
-host advantage
-cant look over cover
-active downing
-random gnasher spread
-weak rifles

Wow. I totally forgot about weapon sliding. When I think back to Gears 1's MP flaws I always think of invincibility while chainsawing and active Longshot downing as being the two most frustrating problems (and grenade tag range until it got patched)

OCD Guy

I love how some people are trying to judge the quality of the remaster on the "filmed on a potato" leaked footage.

I'm keeping faith alive that this game will be awesome, gears of war on the Xbox 360 was by far my most played online game (and I normally hate online games)

Percy

Banned
It doesn't really look much different from the original based on what's here, but if it's going to be running at 60fps though, then that's understandable enough and I couldn't really fault them for going that route.

If it's still 30fps though... yikes...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It doesn't really look much different from the original based on what's here, but if it's going to be running at 60fps though, then that's understandable enough and I couldn't really fault them for going that route.

I wouldn't base anything on an early build we weren't even meant to see.

You only have to look at the ground textures (because they're the easiest to compare) to see the big changes they made with the art and details.

Seems pretty obvious to me, plus 60fps, it seems.

You watch the comparison video?? How can you not see the huge changes?? Gears 1 on PC and 360 looks awful now

Nubster

Banned
I don't care what you guys say. I would pay $60 without the updated textures and FPS just to fix the bugs and net code. This is by far my favorite multiplayer game ever. I think I am going to fire up the original Gears tonight on xbox. Believe it or not some people are still on.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
We will find out this time next month, I kinda hope so to be honest or at best they combine multiplayer and let us play all 3 campaigns

Having 3 separate multiplayers wouldn't be the best I don't think
This Is what I want. Three campaigns, then a composite multiplayer of all the best features on tons of maps. Think the Halo 2 anniversary mp, which is amazing.

Wasn't the game 60fps on PC though?
Yes. I have it installed and though at times there are no servers online, most of the time there's 1-5 servers available. Nowadays you can down sample it easily, and let me tell you, it still looks fantastic. I think it's because of their extensive use of normal mapping, or whatever variation of it they have, amongst otherthings. 60fps feel incredibly good because the motion blur is done so well. It's super smooth and it's a joy to play compared to the 360 version.

knerl

Yes. I have it installed and though at times there are no servers online, most of the time there's 1-5 servers available. Nowadays you can down sample it easily, and let me tell you, it still looks fantastic. I think it's because of their extensive use of normal mapping, or whatever variation of it they have, amongst otherthings. 60fps feel incredibly good because the motion blur is done so well. It's super smooth and it's a joy to play compared to the 360 version.

If you want you can even uncap it.
Started playing the PC-version the other night and in the single player portion you can actually uncap the framerate through the in-game console. Editing the .ini files externally causes a crc-check that won't allow the game to be started though.

Through the console write the following:
"set engine.gameengine bsmoothframerate false" and voila!
Having the refresh rate set to "highest available" and forcing vsync through nvidia's control panel I get my monitors native 144Hz. Negative part of this is that you have to do this every time you boot the game since the variable is set temporarily.

Wish they'd release Gears 2 and 3 for PC as well.

Top Bottom