• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Remaster Footage

I think most hardcore Gears of War fans (myself included) are very curious to see how the project turns out.

The series has a really fractured community, with every title having its fair share of supporters and detractors.

All three games feel radically different to play in terms of balance, map design, speed, weight, kill times etc.

Ubersnug

it is not announced yet but from these few leaks it looks like they only changed some textures so far. they haven't even added the blood splatter effects from gears 2/3

But the game, as far as anyone is aware yet, isn't finished. The footage we saw was from February and who knows how old the build was when that footage was recorded. So, it hardly seems to be a good basis to form a final opinion on it at this point.

Feindflug

Man you still cant get over the fact that there is no big UE4 game on Xbone and especially not a 60fps one... but keep trolling.

Nope.

If you could at least know what you were talking about (like Gears 3 not using pre-baked lighting and your "realistic" predictions about how a 60fps Gears on the Xbone would look like an early PS3 title) then it could be worth taking you seriously.

And don't worry at this point I think it's clear who's trolling every Gears Xbone thread.

MIMF

Nothing in that "remaster" footage looks impressive. Its still this G1 UE3 prebaked lighting. Gears 3 was the first Gears with real time lighting.

I hope the Campaign gets a bigger overhaul.

As far as I remember, the only big difference between Gears 1 and Gears 3 in terms of lighting was the fact that the real time shadows from dynamic characters were "integrated" with the static lightmaps, therefore no visible character shadows on top of the prebaked shadow/lighting as it happened in Gears 1/2 or as it happens in any IDTech5 game such the latest Wolfsteins.

And also that dynamic/moving objects received shadows as well.

Some other modern games that come up to my mind right now that do something similar merging dynamic objects shadow casting/receiving with static/lightmap shadows are for instance Mario Kart 8, Wipeout Vita or Forza 3/4.

Any word/rumour on whether multiplayer has been tweaked?

Fond memories of Gears 1 but not sure I can return to invulnerability while chainsawing, active Longshot instantly downing, etc.

Although getting to play Canals again… *rubs thighs*

Justinh

Thanks to those who mirrored the clips so I could see them.

Yes. Looks really good too. Still has an active online community.
I didn't buy the PC version back in the day because iIrc it required some pretty beefy specs and my desktop wasn't up to snuff at the time. I always wished they released it digitally (or re-released it if it was available on the GfW Marketplace, which I don't really remember it being).

Uhhhh...Emergence Day purchase am I doing this right?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I can't believe this is seriously just going to be the first game. It seems so impossibly ungenerous that I assumed they were only testing the first but all three would eventually be included.

I loved the first Gears but Horde became where I spent most my time and not having that in a new release is incredibly disappointing.

sinnergy

Any word/rumour on whether multiplayer has been tweaked?

Fond memories of Gears 1 but not sure I can return to invulnerability while chainsawing, active Longshot instantly downing, etc.

Although getting to play Canals again… *rubs thighs*

OMG Gears remake is real... will it be all 3? The memories of Gears 1 and the Canals map, I am very fund of, Gears 1 really started next-gen. Coming back from school to check if my real life friends and online friends were playing, we even made times to start playing.

For this and PGR3 at the time, I got Xbox live.

It was great, looking forward to experience at least the SP again, and to see who from my old friends also jump in.

Graphically these new video's look great imo.

I can't believe this is seriously just going to be the first game. It seems so impossibly ungenerous that I assumed they were only testing the first but all three would eventually be included.

I loved the first Gears but Horde became where I spent most my time and not having that in a new release is incredibly disappointing.

We don't know that, all we have are videos of a small BETA which tests the multiplayer of a couple of gears 1 maps

Don't know how I would handle all gears games on 1 disk though, would be a very strange thing I think as each gears plays so differently

Whatever they do I'm going to be happy :)

Hopefully, centre.

It will be interesting to see what they borrow from its sequels, if anything. Gears of War was beautiful in its simplicity but both Gears of War 2 and 3 added a great deal, not just in terms of features but refinements.

Holding X to pick up weapons was a great improvement, is that included? Surely meat shields and crawling while down have to make it in? Invulnerable chainsaws need removing? Sniper downs? Will weapons change each round? Will heavy weapons be introduced?

Wall-cancelling is the big one - I want it in but I know people who don't.

It looks the same (?)
Or is it Nostalgia googles ?

Are people actually looking at the images before they post?

Remaster (Xbone)
i3xNxRke2h5Wz.png

Original (360)
iV1GrAZUHXzWo.png

Now that's a remaster.

sinnergy

It will be interesting to see what they borrow from its sequels, if anything. Gears of War was beautiful in its simplicity but both Gears of War 2 and 3 added a great deal, not just in terms of features but refinements.

Holding X to pick up weapons was a great improvement, is that included? Surely meat shields and crawling while down have to make it in? Invulnerable chainsaws need removing? Sniper downs? Will weapons change each round? Will heavy weapons be introduced?

Some people can't tell the difference for real.. I showed my girl friend, so doesn't play and she couldn't, she said, both look good, the other just different ;)

Some people can't tell the difference for real.. I showed my girl friend, so doesn't play and she couldn't, she said, both look good, the other just different ;)

Too true. My girlfriend is the same... it makes me want to throw her through the window but perhaps I take it too seriously. :p

sinnergy

Too true. My girlfriend is the same... it makes me want to throw her through the window but perhaps I take it too seriously. :p

It gets worse when you have a technical background ;) I do some 3d modeling and unity 5 stuff, I could tell her what's better...

But it would be like, her explaining to me why she needs more shoes ;) :p

Ah well as long as I(we) can tell ;)

This is the first moment in this generation that I am envious of people with Xboxes since I'm absolutely in love with the Gears games.

gaming_noob

It looks good. Now I'm hoping the animations and effects are better in Gears 4. i.e. Smoke effects should slowly dissolve to create more realism.

Arkanius

Can you honestly say there's a huge improvement?
Watched the video and saw it was 60FPS, that alone is worth the purchase, but the from the footage it just seems an uprezzed and smoothe Gears of Wars (Not that there is something wrong with it)

Raide

SuperÑ;163908478 said:
This will me released just after the E3 press conference, I'm calling it now.

Probably be a Gears 4 reveal and then "Just one more thing...remaster available now!"

Sanctuary

]Which is the best view I can get of the Canals map but I think you can see it's fucking miles apart from that supposed PC screenshot. Still even with 4xSGSSAA and HBAO+ on my PC, which are above an beyond what the XO can do, the early footage for the Ultimate Edition looks waaay better in terms of texture quality, lighting model, technique for reflections etc.

Yeah, it actually does look quite a bit better with the ground tiles at least. That's not saying much though since the wall textures actually look like something from 2010 on PC. Or hell, possibly even 2004's Source Engine.

keidashxd

Not amazing, not the best treatment, but... DAY ONE. I want a new gears, I was expecting the order just because I didn't have this.

Leyasu

Banned
Playlists. Please tell me there will be playlists. I want to pick my map and my round #.

Please tell me that it is 100% dedicated servers sporting the titanfall set up! I don't want to hear p2p or p2p fallback anywhere from here on out. It sickens me when I see 343 blatantly lying about the dedicated servers in the POS collection.

nOoblet16

Man with weapon sliding gone those headshots while picking up the sniper will be a nightmare if they do not include the head bobbing animation while turning etc.

Basically what I am saying is that in Gears 2 it was harder (than Gears 1) to snipe someone walking, running and picking up a weapon etc because the character's head would have movements too, in Gears 1 the head of the character would stay still resulting in easier headshots, in Gears 2 they changed it as the character's head would react to movements and actions and bob around a bit to thrown off the shooter in some cases (a good player could still snipe but it was slightly harder).

No doubt it's a huge improvement over the original but I dunno, i'm just not that impressed by what i'm seeing. Hopefully the full reveal showcases some better scenes at a higher quality.

m23

417226-f2Gpxnn_GzgfgNJi.jpg

I guess pre-season it is then

why the fuck no one but Titanfall does this? I wish Halo MCC did that, hopefully Halo 5 does it. Fuck they all using MS Azure. So why the fuck not.

I think 343 confirmed Halo 5 will let you choose data centre.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm nowhere near a Gears of War fan, but that seems to look like a significant remaster. That can't be said for... certain others.

Top Bottom