• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Tnecniv

Neo Member
It just isn't being recognized with Divinity, and I'm wondering if it installed funky (glitches out sometimes). I added the exe to the whitelist and am running it as admin. Am I just being dumb?
Use the alternate injection method, you may also need to set the LoadAppInit_DLLs registry value key to 1 (it wasn't working for me unless I did this): http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=551
you might have to set the registry value “LoadAppInit_DLLs” in the key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows” to “1″. Beta 9 will do this automatically.

wilflare

Thanks for the continuous hard work Durante, 0.8 is amazing! :D I have the same problem taking screenshots as mentioned by someone else where taking screenshots in normal mode blows the 1080p image back to the downsample resolution so I have to take full screenshots now and 1080p them manually but that's hardly a big deal. The features and simplicity you added to everything makes me wish GeDoSaTo would come bundled with every gaming rig :p

Here are two Astebreed screenshots I took downsampled from 3840x2160 with Lanczos filtering. Screenshots don't do this game any justice compared to how it looks in motion but still:

At this resolution this game even manages to bring my 7970 to its knees when lots is happening :p And it's notable that Astebreed supports up to 7680x4320 natively by itself!

glad I'm not the only one..
my 280X suffers when I try to downsample :/ at hectic bits!
all those particles!

---
anyone using 16:10 resolutions on this?
some games don't automatically display black borders when running 16:9 on a 16:10 monitor :/

and how do we get this to run every time windows boots up!

Have been testing the new beta in a few games - Witcher 2, Divinity OS, and Hard Reset, particularly the new Lanczos scaling method. Long story short, I like how Lanczos looks in Divinity but it looks oversharpened with more aliasing in Hard Reset and Witcher 2. I prefer to use Bicubic for those instead. Captured a quick comparison for Witcher 2:

Lanczos: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/14551960991_011671fc92_o.jpg

Bicubic: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2917/14368762988_bc4956f2cc_o.jpg

How did you get it working in hard reset? What options are you using in the config to override the res?

Durante

and how do we get this to run every time windows boots up!
untitled37sgn.png

I'll probably release 0.9 this weekend.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
How did you get it working in hard reset? What options are you using in the config to override the res?
Was using alternate injection method and set aforementioned 'LoadAppInit_DLLs' registry value key to 1. In settings, everything disabled except for bicubic downsampling.

Also worth mentioning, when applying the custom res, it shrinks the menu ui but the weapon hud remains the same size. I have to use keyboard, or gamepad to navigate menus. Quick pic:

14541204126_ec635fbf3b_o.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your config info. I'll give that a try this morning and see what happens.
Welcome. Also tried some 8K downsampling. Got around 10fps:

14584388073_987643b5d4_o.jpg

Durante

Welcome. Also tried some 8K downsampling. Got around 10fps:
That looks oversharpened. I think it's because of the repeated application of Lanczos scaling 2 times in a row, because at 4k it looks fine to me.

I'll have to implement full-on configurable Mitchell-Netravali at some point.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
That looks oversharpened. I think it's because of the repeated application of Lanczos scaling 2 times in a row, because at 4k it looks fine to me.

I'll have to implement full-on configurable Mitchell-Netravali at some point.
You're right. I noticed that as well; looks ok at 4K but a little too sharp at 8K. And take your time. Can always use bicubic w/8K for the time being.

wilflare

hmm so are people mostly using this w AA and Postprocessing off?

Was so excited when I saw kick_win (Marlow Biggs) in the Whitelist... thought it was gonna work

Evo X

Great tool. Couldn't get it working with Velvet Assassin so just forcing 8XSGSSAA and HBAO+ instead through Inspector.

Works perfectly with Dishonored though. Getting a smooth 60+fps at 4K, but it drops to 25fps at 8K.

Also worked well in Surgeon Simulator and XCOM:Enemy Unknown, but keep getting a black screen when I try to load Ys: Oath in Felghana. I can hear the menu music, but get no picture.

Is there any way to get this running with Original Sin (I mean, obviously there is)? Feels like I'm missing something... done the alternative injection and all, but I can't get the custom res to show up in-game.

glad I'm not the only one..
my 280X suffers when I try to downsample :/ at hectic bits!
all those particles!

Yeah as said same here, I'm not sure if Astebreed itself is really that demanding on higher resolutions or if the game just doesn't like GeDoSaTo interfering :/ I basically drop 60fps hard whenever I use the Lucis Lock-On system even at 1440p :(

Was using alternate injection method and set aforementioned 'LoadAppInit_DLLs' registry value key to 1. In settings, everything disabled except for bicubic downsampling.

Also worth mentioning, when applying the custom res, it shrinks the menu ui but the weapon hud remains the same size. I have to use keyboard, or gamepad to navigate menus. Quick pic:

Thanks for the response. Works well!

The HUD does break in the scaling because it is an actual 3d object. Quite cool actually!

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Is there any way to get this running with Original Sin (I mean, obviously there is)? Feels like I'm missing something... done the alternative injection and all, but I can't get the custom res to show up in-game.
Did you try the regedit tweak? Alt injection on its own did not work for me, as well, but it did after applying the regedit tweak. It takes all of ten seconds to apply: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=551
you might have to set the registry value “LoadAppInit_DLLs” in the key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows” to “1″. Beta 9 will do this automatically.

Before GeDoSaTo this area in Hard Reset was an aliased, shimmering mess (even with all previous aa methods that I tried, there was still some noticeable aliasing leftover). It's pretty golden now. 8k downsampling + ingame fxaa:

14378842577_33ba91c0c8_o.jpg

Edit:
Thanks for the response. Works well!

The HUD does break in the scaling because it is an actual 3d object. Quite cool actually!
Very welcome, glad I could help out.

wilflare

Yeah as said same here, I'm not sure if Astebreed itself is really that demanding on higher resolutions or if the game just doesn't like GeDoSaTo interfering :/ I basically drop 60fps hard whenever I use the Lucis Lock-On system even at 1440p :(

did you turn on AA and the Post Processing effects?

did you turn on AA and the Post Processing effects?

Yeah I did, I figured my 7970 @ 1100mhz should handle it but guess I was wrong :/ EDIT: Actually I turned GeDoSaTo's AA off since the game itself uses SMAA.

Also I made a quick and dirty 256x256 logo for GeDoSaTo using one of the textures I found in Astebreed since the default logo didn't scale well in my 128x128 WinLaunch folder and I thought I would share it for other people who use docks etc.

hV3gQxN.png

wilflare

Yeah I did, I figured my 7970 @ 1100mhz should handle it but guess I was wrong :/ EDIT: Actually I turned GeDoSaTo's AA off since the game itself uses SMAA.

Also I made a quick and dirty 256x256 logo for GeDoSaTo using one of the textures I found in Astebreed since the default logo didn't scale well in my 128x128 WinLaunch folder and I thought I would share it for other people who use docks etc.

hV3gQxN.png

I'll give it a try later again, turning AA and Postprocessing off and see if it gets any better.

should we leave AA to the game or to GeDoSaTo?
(or do we even need AA anymore?)

I'll give it a try later again, turning AA and Postprocessing off and see if it gets any better.

should we leave AA to the game or to GeDoSaTo?
(or do we even need AA anymore?)

Good question, If I think about it my common sense says actually to disable the ingame AA and let GeDoSaTo handle it but I'm not really too knowledgeable about this all :/

EDIT: And just for fun I made a Atelier version logo because I know Durante is a fan of the Atelier games:

CyruIPW.png

wilflare

okay this is going to be a totally green question

#takeFullScreenshot VK_DIVIDE
takeScreenshot VK_MULTIPLY
takeHUDlessScreenshot VK_DIVIDE

I tried all three options... and they are all in the 4K res...
what am I doing wrong?

what am I doing wrong?

I might be wrong but there seems a bug in the 0.8 release so you can't take downsampled screenshots at the moment and have to manually downsample them.

Parsnip

what am I doing wrong?

I might be wrong but there seems a bug in the 0.8 release so you can't take downsampled screenshots at the moment and have to manually downsample them.
Yeah, the takeScreenshot is bugged in 0.8. It should be outputting downsampled screens at target resolution, but it isn't. It appears to take the downsampled screen and upscale it back to render resolution, and that obviously makes the screens look kind of rough. Only reason to use it right now would be to get the overlay info in the shot.
FullScreenshot is exactly as it says, takes a screenshot of the full render resolution.
HUDless takes full HUDless shots, but currently only in Dark Souls 2, in every other game it behaves the same as Full Screenshot.

BONKERS

Did you try the regedit tweak? Alt injection on its own did not work for me, as well, but it did after applying the regedit tweak. It takes all of ten seconds to apply: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=551

Before GeDoSaTo this area in Hard Reset was an aliased, shimmering mess (even with all previous aa methods that I tried, there was still some noticeable aliasing leftover). It's pretty golden now. 8k downsampling + ingame fxaa:

14378842577_33ba91c0c8_o.jpg

Edit: Very welcome, glad I could help out.

Using 2x2 downsampling + in game 4xFSAA + Driver FXAA usually produces good results in this game.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Using 2x2 downsampling + in game 4xFSAA + Driver FXAA usually produces good results in this game.
Excellent. I did not know that.

Edit:
Original Sin isn't working for me either. Have tried everything suggested. Win 7 64bit and R9 290.
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried enabling 'forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes' in GeDoSaTo config yet? Disregard if you have already.

Yeah, the takeScreenshot is bugged in 0.8. It should be outputting downsampled screens at target resolution, but it isn't. It appears to take the downsampled screen and upscale it back to render resolution, and that obviously makes the screens look kind of rough. Only reason to use it right now would be to get the overlay info in the shot.

Alright so I read that correctly, oh well like said it's no big deal :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Durante just a heads up but it looks like the latest release is not tagged as GeDoSaTo on your site.

Durante

FullScreenshot is exactly as it says, takes a screenshot of the full render resolution.
HUDless takes full HUDless shots, but currently only in Dark Souls 2, in every other game it behaves the same as Full Screenshot.
This is not exactly true. Hudless works in every game using the generic plugin which has an "injectPSHash" value specified. In 0.8, that's only Blackguards out of the box. In 0.9, it will be blackguards and Divinity:OS. I'll try to write some documentation on how to find these values for arbitrary games at some point.

Durante just a heads up but it looks like the latest release is not tagged as GeDoSaTo on your site.
Thanks!

Hastati

Use the alternate injection method, you may also need to set the LoadAppInit_DLLs registry value key to 1 (it wasn't working for me unless I did this): http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=551

Thanks a bunch!

Unfortunately, after downloading the latest release and trying all of this, I STILL can't get it to work. The resolutions just don't show up in-game, with the alternate injector/default and with the registry changed. The game just wants me to play at a clean 1080p.

Parsnip

This is not exactly true. Hudless works in every game using the generic plugin which has an "injectPSHash" value specified. In 0.8, that's only Blackguards out of the box. In 0.9, it will be blackguards and Divinity:OS. I'll try to write some documentation on how to find these values for arbitrary games at some point.

Oh, right, drats. I knew I was forgetting something.

KhayN

Neo Member
not sure why i cant get higher resolutions thank 1080p with divinity original sin even with the last beta build of gedosato.. what am i doing wrong? i changed this line in the gedosato.ini

forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes false

from false to true

but still nothing happens

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I know, noboby cares but): Tried a combination of setting, while injecting the new res into 1600x900, nothing, the game is stuck in a flashing screen during gameplay, but it's somewhat responsive and you can open the menù, which shows up fine.
Well I do.
I got it to run at 2720x1700. The game loses window focus beyond that (DEVICE_LOST blabla...)
Using retail 0.8 (alternate injection method) with forceBorderlessFullscreen set to true and tweaking the SplinterCell3.ini file (the one in C:\ProgramData\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)

Code:
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
[B]WindowedViewportX=2720
WindowedViewportY=1700
FullscreenViewportX=2720
FullscreenViewportY=1700[/B]

(set it to Read-only after modification)
I'm still hoping to a get higher resolution than that as the game runs effortlessly (it's ooooold). I'll post updates tomorrow if it works
EDIT : nope I can't go higher. I give up. Hopefully someone will have more luck than me

the injection seems to work... just that the resolutions do not appear
Rogue Legacy is a 2D game right ? Why would you want to downsample 2D ?

wilflare

Well I do.
I got it to run at 2720x1700. The game loses window focus beyond that (DEVICE_LOST blabla...)

Using retail 0.8 (alternate injection method) with forceBorderlessFullscreen set to true and tweaking the SplinterCell3.ini file (the one in C:\ProgramData\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)

Code:
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
[B]WindowedViewportX=2720
WindowedViewportY=1700
FullscreenViewportX=2720
FullscreenViewportY=1700[/B]

(set it to Read-only after modification)
I'm still hoping to a get higher resolution than that as the game runs effortlessly (it's ooooold). I'll post updates tomorrow if it works

Rogue Legacy is a 2D game right ? Why would you want to downsample 2D ?

I downsampled Valiant Hearts (also 2D) and it looks so much better and amazing!
It makes it look a lot sharper and the artwork standout!

Parsnip

I tested couple of Double Fine prototypes that are running on the Buddha. I'm not going to add them to the compatibility list, but I figured I'd post about them here.

They all work. Boom.
Because they don't have resolution select, and barely have any ini files and such, I used the resolution override function. The prototypes will always default to fullscreen and whatever my monitor native res is (or maybe current Windows resolution), I just added that res to the gedosato's res override and it worked. Magical. Tested White Birch, Black Lake, Mnemonic and Steed.

Mnemonic

And shots from Steed, White Birch and Black Lake, didn't img tag them because I don't want to make the page load times too long.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...14_07_05_07_26_06_by_majorparsnip-d7pa1w1.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...14_07_05_07_41_24_by_majorparsnip-d7pa1xl.jpg
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...14_07_05_07_38_09_by_majorparsnip-d7pa1ww.jpg

edit: Unrelated, but it seems Remember Me doesn't want to dump textures. Bummer. Was going to convert couple of the existing texmod mods to GeDoSaTo but looks like that's going to have to wait.

Deus Ex Human Revolution with GeDoSaTo + ENB (5040x3150). I made a quick hack to the 0.8 codebase to run Gedo alongside ENB. I submitted the change to Durante but I'd completely understand him not accepting it if it compromises overall compatibility or anything. In the meantime :

Also STALKER Lost Alpha (Anyone still cares about the game ?) :

UPDATE : every "major" ENB has worked so far using this "hack" : Fallout 3, GTAIV, GTA SA, DS2, Skyrim... Except the Stalker one but it's not the most unforgettable

Yeah, add Fallout3 and FalloutLauncher to whitelist.txt and use the alternate injection method (make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1 in the registry if it doesn't work)
(Please update the compatibility list if I forget to)

EDIT : downsampling works even though the status console doesn't show.

TheTrain

For Lost Alpha i'm still waiting the second hugely huge patch. The problem is that we don't know when they'll release it. D:
Regard Deus Ex, with 0.8 it works without any problem? This is a really good news because the game desperately need a proper anti aliasing.

Wounded

This worked for me using alt injection:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=551

I must be really doing something wrong. Used alternate injection, game is set to downsample from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080, but I just can't seem to get it to actually do it. The game loads up and nothing has changed. Gedosato is definitely running as admin etc, and I've gotten it working with DS2.

This is a stupid question, but where do you actually change the res in The Witcher 2? Are you supposed to be able to do it in the launcher?

Top Bottom