• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Well I do.
I got it to run at 2720x1700. The game loses window focus beyond that (DEVICE_LOST blabla...)

Using retail 0.8 (alternate injection method) with forceBorderlessFullscreen set to true and tweaking the SplinterCell3.ini file (the one in C:\ProgramData\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)

Code:
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
[B]WindowedViewportX=2720
WindowedViewportY=1700
FullscreenViewportX=2720
FullscreenViewportY=1700[/B]

(set it to Read-only after modification)
I'm still hoping to a get higher resolution than that as the game runs effortlessly (it's ooooold). I'll post updates tomorrow if it works
EDIT : nope I can't go higher. I give up. Hopefully someone will have more luck than me

Nice! I didn't think about trying to set the resolution through the ini, because the first time it didn't work.

I wonder if it'll work for Double Agent too.

wickfut

Banned
Deus Ex Human Revolution with GeDoSaTo + ENB (5040x3150). I made a quick hack to the 0.8 codebase to run Gedo alongside ENB. I submitted the change to Durante but I'd completely understand him not accepting it if it compromises overall compatibility or anything. In the meantime :

Also STALKER Lost Alpha (Anyone still cares about the game ?) :

UPDATE : every "major" ENB has worked so far using this "hack" : Fallout 3, GTAIV, GTA SA, DS2, Skyrim... Except the Stalker one but it's not the most unforgettable

Come on Durante, let us have the best of both worlds and release it as an alternate version or something.

Deus Ex Human Revolution with GeDoSaTo + ENB (5040x3150). I made a quick hack to the 0.8 codebase to run Gedo alongside ENB. I submitted the change to Durante but I'd completely understand him not accepting it if it compromises overall compatibility or anything. In the meantime :

Also STALKER Lost Alpha (Anyone still cares about the game ?) :

UPDATE : every "major" ENB has worked so far using this "hack" : Fallout 3, GTAIV, GTA SA, DS2, Skyrim... Except the Stalker one but it's not the most unforgettable

Holy that all looks gorgeous :eek: Could you upload or maybe just PM me your version please? I would like to test it with Dark Souls II.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Come on Durante, let us have the best of both worlds and release it as an alternate version or something.

I imagine it's the type of thing where it just needs to go through proper vetting and testing before pushing out. Regardless of that, if it ends up not being good for the official branch - that's the benefit of open source projects. People can fork it and release their own branches as well to provide alternatives.

Been testing a couple demos from the demomaking scene as I used to love them as a teenager. Old demos from the past brought to life again at 10K by the power of GeDoSaTo !

screenshot_2014-07-062ujt6.jpg
screenshot_2014-07-06qdkzx.jpg
EDIT : (Left shot is from "cdak", right one is from "fr-041: debris")

Think I found a bug in the new scaler code (since it moved to the new RT management) : I used to be able to go beyond 6720x4200 but I can't now in 0.8. I reverted back to the old scaling code and I can go > 10K again (like in the above shots)

(Btw there's still aliasing at 10K in the left shot. Unless it's the artifacts caused by bicubic downsampling)

Could you post a version of the first shot that isn't a compressed JPEG? Having the quality crushed is making it tough to check out what you mean about the aliasing.
Sorry I deleted them :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Been testing a couple demos from the demomaking scene as I used to love them as a teenager. Old demos from the past brought to life again at 10K by the power of GeDoSaTo !

Think I found a bug in the new scaler code (since it moved to the new RT management) : I used to be able to go beyond 6720x4200 but I can't now in 0.8. I reverted back to the old scaling code and I can go > 10K again (like in the above shots)

(Btw there's still aliasing at 10K in the left shot. Unless it's the artifacts caused by bicubic downsampling)

Could you post a version of the first shot that isn't a compressed JPEG? Having the quality crushed is making it tough to check out what you mean about the aliasing.

Lechery

Neo Member
I haven't been able to get it to work with Divinity: OS.
Even with the alternative injection, I cna only choose my native screen resolution. Anyone here that might know why ?
Edit: got it to work. But man does the framerate tank

Has anyone tried this with Planetside 2 and had any luck?

Deus Ex Human Revolution with GeDoSaTo + ENB (5040x3150). I made a quick hack to the 0.8 codebase to run Gedo alongside ENB. I submitted the change to Durante but I'd completely understand him not accepting it if it compromises overall compatibility or anything.

We need that for EVERY game that supports ENB.

Dezeer

I tried going thru the entire thread.
DX11 is part of Durante's vision for GeDoSaTo.
but it seems like DX11, DX10 and DX9 are all separate codepaths.

the plan is possibly to get DX9 stabilised and working (as close to perfect) before porting GeDoSaTo to work with DX11 and DX10
They would need to have different codepaths. Well Durante said earlier in this thread:
Ah, fair enough thanks. Is a DX11 compatible version in the pipeline or is that an impossibility?
Yes, it's planned. It's not an impossibility. It's not even particularly hard as such (at least I'd say so :p). It's just a whole lot of work.

Pay me to work on GeDoSaTo full time and I'll have it done in a week ;)

I know that Durante has the code up in Github and there is service called bountysource that allows to pay developers based on fulfilled issues, but it seems Durante is the only contributor, so just paying straight up might be the best option.

Would really like to see DX11 support for games like Max Payne 3 ;).

BONKERS

Could be that the downsampling ratio is just too high is why there is aliasing left.

If you have the raw image, try downsampling it via Photoshop and Faststone with various methods to see if any major difference arises

Also: Anyone else with Mafia 2 on Steam able to get it to work yet?

I don't know why mine doesn't work :(

Yeah, add Fallout3 and FalloutLauncher to whitelist.txt and use the alternate injection method (make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1 in the registry if it doesn't work)
(Please update the compatibility list if I forget to)

EDIT : downsampling works even though the status console doesn't show.

How do you set LoadAppInit_DLLs to 1 in the registry?

BONKERS

That should never happen, that's why I implemented multi-level downsampling.

With 10k, do you think maybe you might need a third stage since it's so high?

I'd imagine with that resolution it'd downsample from 10k to maybe 4k first and then down again?

Also though to the poster: Are you using a 10k resolution that is a perfect AR match or even multiple of your base resolution?

(IE: Aspect ratio for 16:9 would need to be 1.777777778, not 1.778645833 like 5464x3064 would be for example.)

Would you mind also maybe posting a 1050p shot with no AA vs maybe a raw screenshot downsampled with 1 stage with Photoshop bicubic?

TronLight

Got this to work with Splinter Cell Double Agent.
You need to use the alternate injection mode, and I threw in "Exact flippling behavior" too for good measure. You also need to select the resolution through the ini file, because the game doesn't lists FullHD+ resolutions.

It works fine. When you launch it, the launcher will be moved to the right and be non-responsive, just wait a moment and it'll work. Some negatives though:

The Steam overlay scales to 1080p. I mean, it's really small and it's located in a corner of the screen, the pop-up message it's right in the middle.
At 4k the game doesn't scale well anymore, it's rendered in a square, with the rest of the screen black. 3200x1800 is fine.

Performances are abysmal. We're talking 45/30fps. No idea why, my rig should be powerfull enough, the game is 7 years old.

Any way to force the mouse to stay exclusive to one screen? When I play Mass Effect and many other games, the mouse stays on my primary screen. With GeDoSaTo, it can wander to my secondary screen and if I click, the game minimizes.

Durante

With 10k, do you think maybe you might need a third stage since it's so high?
GeDoSaTo uses ceil(log2(RENDER_RES/TARGET_RES) downsampling stages. In other words, there's never scaling by more than a factor of 2 in each dimension in a single step.

Got this to work with Splinter Cell Double Agent.
You need to use the alternate injection mode, and I threw in "Exact flippling behavior" too for good measure. You also need to select the resolution through the ini file, because the game doesn't lists FullHD+ resolutions.
That's very interesting! I implemented the "exact flipping behaviour" switch without having a single test case for it. So it's nice to know at least one game actually needs it :p

Spazznid

How do you search for them? Demo is an unfortunate title to look for in google. Also forgot all the sites for them.

I NEED that. I'm sure many others would love that as well (choosing between ENB and GeDoSaTo in Dark Souls 2 is just not fair).

Porcupine

Did anyone try Starcraft II ? The plugin just doesn't recognize the game for me.

EDIT: Ok forget it, seems like there are two .exe, one called SC2.exe and one called Starcraft II.exe. Seems like I took the wrong one ;)

TronLight

That's very interesting! I implemented the "exact flipping behaviour" switch without having a single test case for it. So it's nice to know at least one game actually needs it :p

I don't know if it needs it, I just enabled it. I figured, why not, might save me some headaches. :lol
At least we know that i doesn't break it.

Edit: Yep, it works fine without it. I enabled it by default because I assumed you added it because a great deal of games might need it. :lol

Durante

hmm does MGR not work with this?
MGR does not support resolutions higher than 1080p (eg. even if you have a 1440p or 4k monitor). Someone would need to write a DSfix-like GeDoSaTo plugin to enable that.

I don't know if it needs it, I just enabled it. I figured, why not, might save me some headaches. :lol
At least we know that i doesn't break it.

Edit: Yep, it works fine without it. I enabled it by default because I assumed you added it because a great deal of games might need it. :lol
I just added it because it's part of the spec. I wonder if we'll ever find agame which actually depends on it.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Thanks a bunch!

Unfortunately, after downloading the latest release and trying all of this, I STILL can't get it to work. The resolutions just don't show up in-game, with the alternate injector/default and with the registry changed. The game just wants me to play at a clean 1080p.
Welcome, another suggestion, have you tried disabling all gedo settings yet?

I must be really doing something wrong. Used alternate injection, game is set to downsample from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080, but I just can't seem to get it to actually do it. The game loads up and nothing has changed. Gedosato is definitely running as admin etc, and I've gotten it working with DS2.

This is a stupid question, but where do you actually change the res in The Witcher 2? Are you supposed to be able to do it in the launcher?
Hastati and Wounded, have you guys tried disabling all other settings in gedo config (compatibility, windowing, image processing)? Apologies if you've already tried, but am not sure what else to think of.

As for Witcher 2, not dumb at all, feel free to ask. You can select the gedo res in the launcher but I prefer to manually change it in the user ini config, that way the launcher won't reset all the modifications in the ini that I made.

MGR does not support resolutions higher than 1080p (eg. even if you have a 1440p or 4k monitor). Someone would need to write a DSfix-like GeDoSaTo plugin to enable that.

I just added it because it's part of the spec. I wonder if we'll ever find agame which actually depends on it.
Yeah, best AA method I've found for MGR is 16xS, or 32xS via Inspector. I use 16xS (plus some sweetfx) for playable 45-60fps:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2918/14593997332_cc2850e4ab_o.png
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3869/14408286957_0314a0040d_o.png

MGR Inspector: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2927/14408257487_af440266fd_o.png

wilflare

thanks for the reply.
ahh... -shattered dreams-

was so excited to play MGR when I got GeDoSaTo... I was like Downsampling for my AMD GPU!!! but lol

TronLight

The post-processing settings (beside AA) are specific to Dark Souls 2, right? Never tinkered with them, but I don't think they're generic for every game.
Also the texture dump setting?

Parsnip

The post-processing settings (beside AA) are specific to Dark Souls 2, right? Never tinkered with them, but I don't think they're generic for every game.
Also the texture dump setting?

VSSAO2, Bokeh DoF and HDR Bloom are Dark Souls 2 only, at the moment anyway. I suppose no one is stopping anyone writing similar plugins for other games though. :p

Rest should work with the generic plugin, that's AA, SweetFX type post processing, texture dumping and overriding etc.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
Still not working for me.

Try changing the ini to read forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true

@CyberPunked
The fastest way would probably be to open up regedit from your start menu and Ctrl+F to search for LoadAppInit
It should pull up under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Right click LoadAppInit_DLL to modify and change the 0 to a 1

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I had thought that near the games release you made a DSFix like plugin for MGR already?

Help.
jbrkaygvvD0wmx.png

Why does my game do this?? I noticed when using the tool(0.8) some games flicker gfx but Skyrim shows up like this.

I have turned off any sort of post process effect and it still doesn't change the way the displays.

In Max Payne 3 the level had some areas where there were random textures flickering in the map.

My PC shut down due to overheating I assume while using this tool. I suspect it's that because my GPU sits directly behind my sound card so there's barely space in between the front of the GPU fan and the back of the sound card.

robgrab

I tried using GeDoSaTo with Fallout New Vegas but no dice. It might be tricky because I'm also using NVSE with FNV4GB. I added the Fallout New Vegas executable and launcher as well as NVSE and FNV4GB to the whitelist but it didn't work. I also tried using alternative method and still nothing. Any suggestions?

NOTE: I was able to get it to run at 3840x1620 using driver based downsampling.

PhilGPT

I tried using GeDoSaTo with Fallout New Vegas but no dice. It might be tricky because I'm also using NVSE with FNV4GB. I added the Fallout New Vegas executable and launcher as well as NVSE and FNV4GB to the whitelist but it didn't work. I also tried using alternative method and still nothing. Any suggestions?
Did you try the registry edit? (See below)
The fastest way would probably be to open up regedit from your start menu and Ctrl+F to search for LoadAppInit
It should pull up under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Right click LoadAppInit_DLL to modify and change the 0 to a 1
Anyways, if you can't get GeDoSaTo working, there are other ways of getting NV to downsample, using SRWE and changing the FalloutPrefs.ini file.
Check out this guide for full explanation.

robgrab

Didn't try the registry edit yet. I thought I read the next version (0.9) will fix it so you won't have to edit the registry. The driver based downsampling works but I like the performance boost I get with GeDoSaTo plus the lanczos filtering.

Top Bottom